Aurora Psychiatric Hospital in Wauwatosa, WI

Group Therapy
Individual Therapy
Family Therapy

ABOUT AURORA PSYCHIATRIC HOSPITAL

The Dewey Center at Aurora Psychiatric Hospital provides residential treatment for adults struggling with mental health and substance abuse disorders. Affiliated services include outpatient clinics, partial hospitalization programs, and treatment for children and adolescents. The Wauwatosa, Wis. center also offers detox services for opiates, benzodiazepines, and alcohol abuse.

Rehabilitation is a collaborative process, building on the strengths a client brings to recovery as well as responding to each individual’s unique addiction challenges. The hospital provides personalized plans which may incorporate treatment for dual diagnoses of mental health disorders such as depression, anxiety, or eating disorders. Day, evening, weekend, and residential programs are available, following clinical detoxification.

The use of evidence-based techniques comprise the core therapeutic approaches at this center. Group, individual, and family counseling are coupled with addiction education and experiential therapies. The goal is to help clients rebuild personal relationships, enhance social support, and develop coping mechanisms.

The treatment team includes board certified addiction psychiatrists, nurses, doctors, licensed psychologists, and therapists.

The 30-acre wooded hospital campus features walking trails and landscaped gardens. The 28-bed residential and outpatient treatment facilities provide comfortable settings for rehabilitation and pet therapy dogs visit Aurora patients at the center.

Of the nine reviews submitted by alumni to Rehabs.com at the time of this writing, four are generally positive while the other five are more mixed. Ratings for treatment effectiveness averaged 3.6 out of five stars from seven former clients.

The most repeated concerns expressed are the facility’s costs and the quality of follow-up and aftercare services. Strengths mentioned most frequently relate to the staff and the program’s effectiveness in helping clients to learn tools for ongoing sobriety.

Sally wrote: “I have been sober for almost 3 years,” but she would not recommend the program because of her problems with aftercare and medical support at the hospital. She concluded that the “inpatient program is great.” Alum J.B. also wrote of problems with follow-up experiences after intensive treatment in the program, in particular a lack of guidance in getting further help elsewhere.

Hester complained of staff interaction regarding paperwork and an anonymous alum wrote, simply, that they “did not feel it was worth the time or experience.” While another anonymous alum found the staff compassionate, they also critiqued the lengthy wait required for treatment.

More common alumni review sentiments highlighted recovery successes due to the program’s treatment. Fawn wrote: “I will certainly give Dewey some credit, they showed me the basic tools that I need to be and to stay in recovery.” Emily’s review was similar: “I tried many things beforehand and this is the one time it’s worked longer than a few months!” Alum P.E. mentioned one way the treatment and education worked, writing: “The staff are amazing and challenge addicts when they need to be challenged.”

To date, five friends or family members have left ratings with Rehabs.com for this facility. Several loved ones had concerns regarding follow-up. V.M. commented: “We were happy with the accommodations, amenities and lovely setting. not happy with the lack of a discharge plan to follow.” Parent K.L.’s review supported this: “My biggest complaint is that my daughter had to leave WAY before she was ready.” K.L. also mentioned limited therapy options and the expensive cost of treatment.

On the other hand, an anonymous reviewer said, "They did a great job, I don't feel our son will fall back into that situation again." Charles was also pleased with his loved one's treatment but noted that "Sometimes it feels that some of the employees are judgemental not objective."

Aurora Psychiatric Hospital accepts private pay. Some shorter term residential options may be covered by health insurance plans.

Published on August 2017

I have been sober for almost 3years now & these nurses treat me like I'm a junkie. Just trying to get in to see the doctor is nearly impossible and they NEVER answer the phones to help. Getting medication is a hassel because since you can't see the doctor on time you must send in a refill request. Then they lose them or it takes about a week to process. Then the head nurse will call you to blame you for not seeing the doctor on-time and make you pay twice. Really horrible. I would NEVER recommend it here which is a shame because there inpatient program is great

The facility is nice, but they were quick to kick me out for a psychotic nervous breakdown with absolutely no help in me into the right direction so that I could get help from somewhere else.

I attended both the inpatient and the partial hospitalization program. While involved, I had psychiatrists and staff asking if I ever flipped the digits in my Social Security number, they didn't believe I live where I live, and I was subsequently not taken seriously. They were also convinced I was working, which I am not. I had a peer mentor come into my room asking if I was writing under an assumed name. I have been getting similar lines of odd questioning in other programs as well, and have reason to believe I've been flagged as fraudulent in some respect, which I am not. This should not be happening.

I am more than seven years clean! I attended this program beginning as a partial inpatient, all the way through to once a month counseling, and weaning off suboxone. Many people have included that this program was. for lack of better terms, a waste of money. Yes it is expensive, but just as I would have found a way to get my next fix, I found a way to attend. Also others are blaming their stay was short, or have had relapses. The tough part of addiction, is that there is no miracle that can be performed to "keep us clean. We have to make that choice every single day from now until forever. I will certainly give Dewey some credit, they showed me the basic tools that I need to be and to say in recovery. However, it all boils down to, how much work an active addict wants to get clean, you get what you put into it. But there is no treatment center that can cure anyone from addiction...there is no cure...The only way any person will stay in recovery is by WANTING recovery MORE than they need it.

did not feel it was worth the time or expence

I love the cleanliness and the staff seems that they have a mission to help those trying to recover. Sometimes it feels that some of the employees are judgemental not objective. Overall extremely helpful and motivated to succeed.

My friend had otrpatient treatment but he did not complete it.

Compassionate. Lengthy wait to see a counselor and begin treatment for narcotic addition - In my opinion the program was not as robust as I think it should be - not individualized enough.

Someone I loved was admitted to Dewey. His stay was short, only three days. We were happy with the accommodations, amenities and lovely setting. Not happy with the lack of a discharge plan to follow and the lack of interest by the head psychiatric. He spoke in great detail, however, on what a great reputation he and Dewey have in rehabilitation. I'm not so sure. With the recent experience, we could not recommend. I think they may like having patients have to return.

They are also a mental health facility so they can accommodate people of all backgrounds. Treatment plans are patient based, which helps with the fact that everyone is different. However, space is limited and they change policies frequently regarding treatment options and medication. Also, cost can be an issue without insurance. I've been clean 4.5 years thanks to this program and my dedication to continuing in aftercare programs. I tried many things beforehand and this is the one time it's worked longer than a few months!

Wonderful facility on peaceful grounds. If you want to recover from your addiction - this is the place. The staff are amazing and challenge addicts when they need to be challenged. The most important thing I took away from Dewey is that only I could get myself sober and only I can make myself drink/use again. Sobriety is all about the choices WE make.

Passionate, caring workers.

The facility is top rated, the medical staff as well as the counselors were knowledgeable and great, they treat you with dignity and respect, you can't beat it. They did a great job, I don't feel our son will fall back into that situation again.

My biggest complaint is that my daughter had to leave WAY before she was ready. There are no options (at least with my insurance) beyond 7-10 days. It's too expensive even with insurance. The rehab facility was good in many ways. Unfortunately, insurance only allows so many days and my deductible is thousands of dollars. We still are paying off the balance and now my daughter has relapsed.

Best Drug Rehabilitation
  • Exercise Therapy
  • Anger Management
  • Financial Planning Classes
Positive Sobriety Institute
  • Intensive partial and outpatient programs, independent living and mandatory after care
  • Comprehensive Assessment Program that focuses on a compassionate advocacy-based evaluation
  • A RiverMend Health recovery program