Bear River Health at Walloon Lake in Boyne Falls, MI

2594 Springvale Rd.
Boyne Falls MI 49713

Bear River Health at Walloon Lake Philosophy

Northern Michigan's premier center for drug and alcohol detoxification and addiction treatment services.
BRH creates an atmosphere perfect for addressing our patients’ individual addiction needs. Bear River Health at Walloon Lake acknowledges that each person has a uniqueness all their own and provides treatment personalized to meet those unique needs. Our program based on the 12-steps, provides exposure to multiple pathways to recovery that nourish the mind, body and spirit ensuring long-term recovery.

Our compassionate, empathetic and caring professionals have years of experience assisting in detoxifying individuals from drugs and alcohol. We treat drug and alcohol addiction as a chronic and progressive medical disease that affects the physical, mental, and spiritual well-being of individuals and their families.

At Bear River Health, we offer a medically supervised detoxification program that safely manages the painful symptoms that accompany withdrawal. Our twenty-four hour medical staff utilizes the Evidence Based Practice Protocols established by SAMHSA (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration).

Our inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation programs offer several different, well established, individualized treatment modalities aimed at improving compliance and reducing the risk of relapse.

• Aftercare Support
    Addiction recovery does not end with discharge after completing a rehab program. Facilities that offer aftercare planning and/or support work with patients to ensure sustainable recovery by helping to plan and make arrangements for transitional or sober living, help with housing, vocational counseling, etc.

Personalized Treatment Plans

Chef Prepared Meals

Campus Freedom and Lifestyle

Rehabs.com Editorial Review

ABOUT BEAR RIVER HEALTH AT WALLOON LAKE

On a five-acre campus surrounded by the natural beauty and tranquil waters of Walloon Lake in Northern Michigan, Bear River Health offers medically monitored detox, residential care, and outpatient services for individuals struggling with substance abuse.

Residential care is offered at durations of 30, 60, or 90 days.

Bear River Health aims to treat clients’ physical, mental, and spiritual well-being. The center’s program is built around the 12-Steps, which it supplements with group therapy, weekly family days, and unspecified evidence-based methods.

The center’s holistic offerings include yoga, meditation, acupuncture, and art therapy, as well as the more unusual offerings of spiritual development sessions and talking circles. The center’s website also lists such treatments as “Wellbriety” and “Integral Recovery,” but does not describe what these are.

There is currently no information provided by the facility regarding its treatment staff, however, the four individuals polled by Rehabs.com to date on the staff’s level of training and experience gave it an average rating of 3.75 out of five stars.

Up to 25 residents sleep in simple, modern bedrooms, some of them private, and food is prepared by an on-site chef. Since the facility is on a remote, rural campus, residents have the freedom to wander the grounds unsupervised.

Smoking is permitted in designated areas. Residents may also keep their phones with them, and there is free WiFi on-site.

The four individuals polled by Rehabs.com to date on the center’s cleanliness gave it an average rating of four out of five stars, and the five individuals polled on Bear River Health’s accommodations gave it an average rating of 4.4 out of five stars.

All three reviews submitted to Rehabs.com to date were positive. The single alum polled on the facility’s offerings in a variety of treatment metrics gave it maximum five stars for its counseling and exercise options, but just two stars for its family program.

Two of the three reviewers noted that treatment at Bear River had saved or radically improved their lives. Alum J. described the staff as wise and loving, praised the center’s holistic and exercise options, and added: “If you want to really heal the underlying problems in your life that cause you to behave in an unhealthy or destructive way, this is the place for you.” And both Gary and Mikey praised the center’s atmosphere. “You feel like you're on a campus, you are allowed to walk around outside. I like to sit outside and play my guitar. We had fires at night, and I met lots of great people. Nothing like a jail,” Gary wrote.

At the time of this writing, secondary review sites yielded one alumni review: a five-star rating with no commentary on Google.[1]

Two of the three loved ones polled by Rehabs.com to date gave mostly positive feedback with a few caveats, and the third gave a mixed report. Two of the reviewers gave the center four- and five-star ratings in all 15 of the evaluated treatment metrics, including its family program, treatment for co-occurring disorders, and counseling options. However, the third reviewer gave the center one star, three stars, and three stars respectively in these categories.

“If you have a problem with drugs or alcohol this is the place to go. Very helpful,” one anonymous reviewer wrote, while a second wrote simple: “Works.” However, these two reviewers added: “the treatment was a little slow,” and “food could be better.” And the third anonymous reviewer submitted stronger criticism, citing the center’s atmosphere as a weakness and writing: “I wish i had had the option to see other options first, i would have chosen dufferently.”

“I am very impressed by the campus and the professionalism the employees exude. I would be very comfortable and confident referring a friend, coworker or other individual with challenges to Bear River Health,” wrote Google reviewer Matthew, who had simply visited the facility rather than seen a loved one be treated there.

Bear River Health offers financial assistance covering up to 80 percent of the cost of treatment. The program also accepts a range of major insurance providers, including Aetna, Cigna, Humana, and Value Options. The four individuals polled by Rehabs.com to date on the center’s affordability gave it an average rating of four stars.

Updated January 2017

1. https://goo.gl/LpQ9t3

Saved my son's life very compassionate and knowable. Half the worker,s are recovering Alcoholic's or addicts. They were able to relate to the patients problems.

works. takes a while. the treatment was a little slow.

You feel like you're on a campus, you are allowed to walk around outside. I like to sit outside and play my guitar. We had fires at night, and I met lots of great people. Nothing like a jail. I love this place, and it saved my life.

I was lucky enough to be one of the first people to go through Bear River Health's 28-day residential program, and I can't say enough about how much it has changed my life for the better. If you want to really heal the underlying problems in your life that cause you to behave in an unhealthy or destructive way, this is the place for you. Most other programs I've heard about only address getting you sober and letting you go, which can lead to relapse whenever a problem comes along. But BRH addresses all four directions of growth – spiritual, emotional, mental, and physical, which lead to permanent healing. They gave me the tools I needed to stay well, not just get well. Some of my favorite things about BRH were: • Everyone there treated me with warmth, respect and dignity, as they would treat a member of their own family. As one of the other participants in the program said: "they love us until we can love ourselves". • As a woman, I actually felt a little spoiled because the food was wonderful (and no dishes!), the rooms were kept clean, and the laundry done for me. There were programs in yoga, energy healing, nutrition, and even a group class with a personal trainer, to name just a few, which were taught by amazing, loving people who were happy to answer all my questions. • The people working there are some of the wisest people I've ever met. Many left successful private practices because this was their calling, and it shows. They're great examples of how you can lead a beautiful, fulfilling life of joy without using drugs or alcohol. Just being in their presence made me feel good. I filled most of a notebook with words of wisdom from this program, but I'll just share a few with you as examples: • We're not bad people getting better, we're good people getting well • Cleaning up one area of your life automatically cleans up others • If you don't confront it, you can't conquer it • You can't run from the truth – it's faster than you • Humans are designed to learn by trial and error. Mistakes are sacred. • Your past was necessary to fulfill your purpose I think everyone who feels stuck in their life should try this program. Don't let money concerns stop you. You can't afford to continue with your life in this way, and they went out of their way to work with me to try to make it possible. With the addition of one particular doctor to their staff, I'm sure it will only get better. They have some amazing evening programs open to the public, so you can just stop in and see how it feels to you with no obligation. My favorites are the Wellbriety Talking Circle on Tuesday evenings and the Chanting and Meditation group on Thursdays, both at 7:00 pm. I hope to see you there!

great help from all the staff. food could be better. If you have a problem with drugs or alcohol this is the place to go. Very helpful.

Treatment plan was a strength of the facility but the atmosphere was a weakness. I wish i had had the option to see other options first, i would have chosen dufferently.

Comfortable rooms, Great atmosphere.

Best Drug Rehabilitation
  • Exercise Therapy
  • Anger Management
  • Financial Planning Classes
Behavioral Rehabilitation Services
  • All inclusive, executive, luxury rehab facility.
  • Vitamins, Minerals and Amino Therapy