Buffalo Valley Inc. - Hohenwald in Hohenwald, TN

Group Sessions
Family Education

Rehabs.com Editorial Review

ABOUT BUFFALO VALLEY INC - HOHENWALD

Founded in 1979, Buffalo Valley Inc operates a number of substance abuse treatment centers in Tennessee, including locations in Lewisburg and Castalian Springs. The Hohenwald facility, which is located about 80 miles southwest of Nashville, offers medical detox, residential care, and outpatient treatment for individuals struggling with substance abuse and co-occurring disorders.

Treatment begins with a screening to assess the nature of the substance use disorder as well as determine whether any co-occurring disorders are indicated.

Programming is 12-step based and combines individual and group counseling with motivational interviewing (MI), meditation classes, a family program, life skills workshops, and relapse prevention work. The center also offers job training and job placement services, GED support, and vocational rehabilitation services.

A partial hospitalization program (PHP) is available up to seven days a week, and intensive outpatient programming (IOP) typically consists of three sessions a week.

Aftercare options include transitional housing run by Buffalo Valley and connections to support systems such as Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) and Narcotics Anonymous (NA).

According to the facility’s website, the treatment team includes a psychiatrist, a psychologist, and a full nursing staff, along with licensed counselors. Five former clients evaluated the staff’s level of training and experience, giving it an average rating of four out of five stars.

There is currently no information provided by the facility regarding its living arrangements and related offerings. The 14 former clients who evaluated Buffalo Valley’s accommodations and amenities gave it an average rating of 3.1 out of five stars.

Alumni reviews for the Hohenwald location were mixed. Of the 17 alumni surveyed by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing, eight gave the facility positive reviews, six gave the facility negative reviews, and three gave the facility mixed reviews. Complaints included ineffective treatment, unkempt and unsafe facilities, uncaring and inexperienced counselors, and the inability to properly treat co-occurring disorders. Two former clients even went as far as to describe the program as a “nightmare.”

Satisfied clients reported that the facility was clean, well-maintained, and offered staffed with knowledgeable doctors and psychologists. Three reviewers credited the facility with changing their lives, while another told Rehabs.com that attending the program was the best decision they ever made.

The seven alumni polled on the following metrics provided average ratings of just two out of five stars for holistic offerings, 2.9 stars for exercise and leisure opportunities, three stars for the program’s connectivity to the outside world, 3.6 stars for family participation, and 3.7 stars for cleanliness and general upkeep of the center.

Reviews from loved ones gathered by Rehabs.com were split down the middle. Of the eight loved ones polled to date, four were negative and four were positive. The most common concerns were poor communication with family and a lack of individualized treatment and client concern. In a review representative of negative feedback J., whose son attended the facility, wrote: “They are only out for the grant money. They don't give a [care] about the people, hands down. Do yourself a favor and go somewhere besides here.”

On the other hand, the four friends and family who offered positive feedback told Rehabs.com that the program, while not a spa getaway, was perfectly adequate for their loved ones. “If you are looking for a place to help heal from an addiction this is a good place to start,” said one anonymous commenter in a representative review. “They will do a good job meeting you where you are at in your addiction & knowing how to move forward with your life.”

While not a Buffalo Valley staff member, Vae, who told Rehabs.com that she volunteers at a homeless shelter that has helped several women who have attended the Hohenwald program, gave the facility negative feedback. “We have had several women go through this program with no reduction in their additions,” she wrote. “They all have stated that the facilities, kitchen especially is not well maintained. No individual counseling was provided to them, which could be because their way was paid for by the state.”

According to HealthGrove, Buffalo Valley Inc. accepts military insurance, state insurance other than Medicaid, and Access to Recovery vouchers. The four former clients who evaluated the facility’s affordability gave it an average rating of 4.25 out of five stars, while the seven loved ones who evaluated the rehab’s cost gave it a average rating of four stars.

Updated April 2017

Published on June 2017

I was court ordered to go to buffalo valley 5 years ago, Rather court ordered,or self willed,BVI works if and only if YOU want it. 5years ago my life changed,all I can say is stick with it,there is no reason to drink Today! One of the counselors gave me the tools to stay sober Thank you buffalo valley

Counselors are very good In the middle of nowhere. Poorly funded. I had to leave because my medication was administered properly. They do not have experience in treating co-occurring disorders.

nasty campus bed bugs, lice not recommended for rehab They did not provide a safe, clean environment Treatment was ineffective

Good staff.

The Staff were good. The staff to client ratio was too big. I believe treatment is what you make of it. They definitely give you the support and tools but the work is up to you.

I was here for a 28 day treatment I found this place to be just what I needed the housing was in good shape the food was good and the level of treatment was to par I would recommend this place for anyone that wants to find help thru there addiction you will get out what you put in it thank you to one staff member in particular you were amazing.

This place is a joke. Shut this place down! Its all about the money just like most other "drug treatments"

i came through this program 4 years ago and it was one of the best decisions i ever made. i have been on the recovery road for 4 years now. i would like to say thank you and my life totally changed because of buffalo valley

I volunteer at a homeless shelter and we have had several women go through this program with no reduction in their additions. They all have stated that the facilities, kitchen especially is not well maintained. No individual counseling was provided to them, which could be because their way was paid for by the state. I have a hard time believing that our tax dollars continue to pay for the homeless to go here for help, when those same homeless come out just as bad as when they went in.

I decided to go here on my own no court order. This place was a nightmare they only care about grant money getting you in and getting you out. So that if you get three write ups they can get you out the door and get somebody else you would grant money it's all about the money if you won't treatment is the treatment facility but please be where the food is OK I attended every class every meeting I cleaned up even when I wasn't supposed to clean up and do chores. I always spoke in the meetings I didn't sit in the back and keep my mouth closed I never disrespected anyone or try to disrespect anyone. They railroaded me. I wanted to finish my program bad. My counselor was awful. There was another counselor who is very disrespectful an smart aleck an thinks she can say whatever because they actually hold our fate. An if you respond to her then your wrong cause hey she's a counselor she can't say whatever. Now she's going to get you wrote up even though she was wrong. She didn't like me. All my classmates had good things to say bout me. Done all my work an always interacted. I saw a lot of messed up things go on here!!!!!! Front desk lady's are amazing they even loved me!!!! Not a troublemaker but was railroaded. I'm telling u this place is aawful. I relapsed after I left cause it hurt that I was railroaded like that! Thanks buffalo valley for not caring

Place is a nightmare dont ever go there

Remote location , Great caring staff. Affordable.

Depends on the counselor you get. The case mgrs do care about you though. They do not have no one there after 4:30p.m. except for staff which is really just for security only and weekends. If something happens they tell you to wait until day or Monday and take it up with your counselor. They are very tough. And a lot of ppl walk cause they are not ready.

I would not send my DOG to this place. They are in it for the money not to help you.

This place is a joke, from the staff all the way down to the housing. Went out on Sunday for the first time. ... My son begged for 6 months to get in the place. He's never got into any trouble, never been in jail or anything. He just wanted it all to end so he came to us for help. We worked for 6 months to get him in. Every time we called they said the courts had first choice. After 6 months of begging they got him a bed with state money. He was put in a room with seven others that the courts made go. While he was there one of their girlfriends came to the rom. He got in trouble for that even after testing negative. They also told us that we would have to attend a class and to be there an hour early. When we got there they told us that there would be no class, and that was the third week in a row that they canceled the class... I could go on on about the things that we saw and heard while we where there... They are only out for the grant money. They don't give a [care] about the people, hands down. Do yourself a favor and go somewhere besides here.

Buffalo Valley is well maintained and clean. They offer very nice rooms and well-trained doctors and psychologists but they lack in the fact that they do not offer any kind of recreation. I did not like how the isolated the participants.

If you are looking for a place to help heal from an addiction this is a good place to start. They will do a good job meeting you where you are at in your addiction & knowing how to move forward with your life. They are affordable & have some excellent staff & follow up programs. Some of the staff is less than kind & do not seem to be cut out for that type of work.

They do have a payment program and they take people without insurance. It's a 28 day program but they also have a 4 month meth program. However, there is no meditation yoga or co occurring treatment program.

Counselors were helpful. Staff was nice and make you feel comfortable. Some areas for improvement needed. Housing facilities were to easily accessible from the outside.

BVI is a strict place, but they give you liberties as you earn them. You are very busy from the very first day to the last. According to your insurance or the Grant, treatment is from 21 to 30 days and then half way housing is an option if needed or wanted, that can be 30-120 days longer. After that, housing jobs and counseling is offered. I believe in this place; I have seen this facility work for lots of people.

It was a good program; they involved family with their "family day".

I have intentions on going to a higher level with my opinions of this facility! I am a recovering addict and would NOT recommend that anyone even consider this facility!

This is no message parlor get away. It teaches you practical ways to re-enter society. You are assigned chores, an can work in the kitchen. Its a wonderful program. Im one year, one month sober! Great staff! Nice facility without being to luxurious. A lot of freedoms to walk outside whenever you want an a lot else. Cant say enough Good things about BV.

Stay far, far away, they just want your money. The facility is in dire need of repair...and will not stop anyone from leaving...

Focus Treatment Centers
  • Alumni programming and aftercare services
  • Whole-person care approach and experssive therapies including art therapy and dance/ movement therapy
  • Weekly nutritionist on-site and professional chef
Landmark Recovery of Louisville
  • Individual therapy twice per week with masters-level counselor
  • Neurofeedback Testing to cope with anxiety, sleep deprivation
  • Comprehensive discharge plan that is easy to follow and understand