Community Assessment & Treatment Services in Cleveland, OH

8411 Broadway Avenue
Cleveland OH 44105

Community Assessment & Treatment Services Philosophy

To promote the social justice needs of the community by providing high-quality, cost-effective, evidence-based interventions that comprehensively address the chemical dependency and behavioral health needs of a diverse clientele. CATS will be known for cultivating the dignity and self-worth of people by offering community-based recovery from addiction, mental illness, and criminal behavior.

• Outpatient
    Outpatient treatment describes all addiction treatment that is not residential. Patients live at home while undergoing rehab.

Individualized Treatment Plans

CARF & OhioMHAS Certified

Cognitive-Behavioral Based Treatment

Roxanne Wallace, MA

Founder & Executive Director

Ms. Wallace, Executive Director of CATS, founded the organization 25 years ago. From its humble beginnings as a DWI diversion program to its current status as one of Cuyahoga County’s premier treatment centers, Ms. Wallace has overseen the incredible growth the agency has experienced. Over the years, CATS has continually added a variety of mental health and chemical dependency services at its core campus and at satellite offices.

John Scalish, LICDC-CS, ICCS

Chief Operating Officer

Mr. Scalish has been with Community Assessment and Treatment Services since October 2002. Throughout his years with the agency, he has served in various capacities, before assuming his current duties as Clinical Director, including men's residential counselor, Forensic Program Manager, Drug Court Liaison and Outpatient Program Manager. He holds a BA in sociology from John Carroll University with a focus in Criminal Justice, and a Masters of Education from Cleveland State University in Community Agency Counseling. He is a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, a Licensed Independent Chemical Dependency Counselor Clinical Supervisor and an Internationally Certified Clinical Supervisor.

ABOUT COMMUNITY ASSESSMENT AND TREATMENT SERVICES

Founded in 1990, Community Assessment and Treatment Services provides substance abuse treatment for men and women through their residential and outpatient programs. They have a mission to help under-served populations, including those who have been incarcerated.

According to the facility's website, treatment focuses on cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), social learning, and motivational interviewing.

Clients have the option to enroll in a gender specific program. Programming includes assessments, which are in depth interviews that are designed to access each person's needs. Assessments help determine diagnosis and recommendations.

Most of CATS's services are in a group format, and counselor leads group therapy. Every client receives individual counseling to create an individualized treatment plan.

Case management is offered to provide clients with referrals to community resources, and CATS also provides drug testing.

Individuals in the outpatient program stay in their own homes, but come to CATS for treatment. The regular outpatient program meets one to three times a week, while the intensive program meets four days a week.

Clients in the residential program live at CATS during treatment.

The center’s Changing Faces program offers day treatment for incarcerated women close to being released.

According to the facility’s website, CATS employs 100 people and staffs a clinical director who is a licensed social worker and a psychiatrist.

The center's website notes the residential treatment centers for men and women are housed in basic buildings. A new building for outpatient procedures opened, although it’s unclear when it opened.

The more than 15 alumni polled by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing provided mixed reviews.

Many alumni praised the staff, and the staff's experience. "Nurses and doctors were knowledgeable, compassionate, and clearly communicated treatment procedure and progress," an alum wrote in a representative review.

The five alumni who were polled on different metrics gave the center 3.8 stars for the staff's level of experience and training as well as the visitors policy. The alumni rated the center's holistic offerings the worst with 2.4 stars.

However, many alumni complained and wrote negative things about CATS. "This place is a joke...The staff is a joke and they dont know whats going on in there," an alum wrote.

The lone loved one questioned by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing left positive feedback, and gave CATS four out of five stars when asked if they would recommend the center.

They also gave four stars for treatment effectiveness, holistic offerings, counseling options, and its treatment of co-occurring disorders.

"Prompt treatment options; extensive/depth of specialists available, depending on individual patients' needs; funding options," they wrote about the center's strengths.

According to the facility’s website, self-pay and Medicaid are accepted. The facility’s website notes that some programs are provided through contracts and grants. To date, the six polled by Rehabs.com gave affordability 3.33 out of five star average.

Published on June 2017

I thought the community counseling was excellent..i learned about enabeling. It was very painful to learn that my love was not an antidote for addiction. It was beneficial to learn boundaries and behavior the addict has to manipulate you. I've nevered cried more. The knowledged turned me inside out..but it empowered me and gave me tools to help. I still do not understand how addiction can be a disease and a choice That is where i see there needs to be a spiritual dimension added for their soul to heal. Grateful that the Treatment Center Exists Many prayers go up . Thank you.

This place is a joke...The staff is a joke and they dont know whats going on in there.

On my first and only visit I was treated poorly. The woman behind the desk acted as if she had better things to do. When I told her it was my first visit and I wasn't sure what to do. She said fill out the form over there. Then when I said I had a drop off for my son, she yelled at me and said didn't they explain anything to you. We don't take drop offs except for people who are out of town. I said well I am from out of town. Then she said well I'll get to it in a minute and thru the stuff on the floor. Then we went into the room were we waited for 20mins before any of our family came out. And had our 2 hours of AA meeting. People talking to each other being very disrespectful. The guy running it warned them. But never followed thru will anything. Continued throughout. Then another guy came in to babysit us after that. I high five my son and get told there will be no touching. After 1 visit that was enough for me. These people are supposed to be role models? Not at all what I thought I was going to see. Big disappointment Big!

I was at CATS for my mandated 77 days. The counselors were all very attentive to any worries or questions I had. The R.A.'s for the most part were very fair, as in, treating everyone equally. The food was great!! I really can't say anything bad. I've just been released within the last month, but so far I'm doing good. I also attend their out-patient program, which isn't facilitated as well as the in-patient groups were, but I still have no complaints.

I'm sorry but CATS program falls very short of addressing the Economic and Social and Psychological problems that are associated with and are the cause of the obsession and the compulsion to use mind/mood altering substances. From what I learned CATS' program/guidelines are governed by the Department of the State Prison System and or the Department of Correction. Not all alcoholics and or drug addicts are dangerous criminals. However it seems like the Judicial System is limited to the help they can offer people with problems of addiction so they put all us alcoholics and drug addicts in the same category, in the same program, in the same rooms. I know when I was at CATS I needed a course in communicating with people, negotiating with people, apologizing to people, being able to see things in an objective way, being empathetic, etc. The reason I had to sit through this is because there was one or more other people sitting in that room who needed to hear this stuff. Alcoholism and drug addiction is a very complex problem. The most popular way of addressing this complex problem is by attending 12-Step meetings. I guess the reason for this is because when something is so complex only God can understand it and fix it. One doesn't have to wonder why there's such an increasing problem with alcoholism and drug addiction. When something is broken you come up with a way of fixing it and you fix it. Or you come up with a way to make everyone believe that there's nothing wrong with the way you're trying to fix it and you just need more time and more money to fix it. This is like that AA cliche "doing the same things over and over expecting different results".

Free but very negative.

Fulfilled court order. Predujist. Program always above capacity talk down to you.

The food was good. However, there was lack of. Addiction knowledge.

An overall great facility.

Strengths were the square meals and controlled environment. Weakness was that they do not keep you long enough like Channey Allen does. it takes longer amount of time for women to recover.

77% recovery rate is outstanding. I just started this journey with my son so I don't know yet. Councilors seem educated although I have only been allowed there once. I look for passion in them but that is to be determined.

experienced counselors but seems like a jail at times. the people appear to care but I have only visited it a few times, the journey is just starting

The staff there are addicts and can relate very well with clients. they need to offer more snacks. I loved cats... I highly recommend this place.. The best rehab I have attended

the counselors and the classes were great. could use a new building. the point they were trying to convey came across. The counselors re former addicts and related to myself a lot. good place!!!

What a joke. I sat thrut group which is mandatory before visitation. I will do everything in my power to turn in all of the rays. And see this run like stellar mars and many other legit rehabs. Sorry there is not spell check here.

Really glad I went here.

I would like to see more exercise and leisure activities offered for the clients. Also, would like to be more involved in counseling one on one. They offer a group counseling session once a week but I would like to see individual counseling with family.

Arrow Passage Recovery