Cottonwood Tucson in Tucson, AZ

4110 West Sweetwater Drive
Tucson AZ 85745

Cottonwood Tucson Philosophy

Health Services/Medically Managed Detoxification, Mood Disorders and Anxiety Disorders Treatment

Young Adult Addiction Treatment Programs and Co-Occurring Disorders
Sweetwater Adolescent Girls Program
InnerPath Retreats

ABOUT COTTONWOOD TUCSON

Located on a 35-acre campus in Arizona’s Sonoran Desert, Cottonwood Tucson is a holistic behavioral health treatment center and addiction rehab that offers medical detox and residential treatment for young adults and adults who are struggling with addiction, including process addictions, as well as eating disorders, dual diagnosis, and mental health disorders.

Cottonwood Tucson addresses a wide range of behavioral disorders, including not just substance abuse but also sex and love addiction, spending addiction, video game addiction, and PTSD. Treatment typically lasts six weeks.

Programs use some traditional components, such as the 12-Steps, psychoeducational lectures, and individual, group, and family therapy (including a five-day family program), along with evidence-based methods such as eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR). But Cottonwood’s distinctive programming is displayed in the facility’s extensive holistic options, which include equine-assisted therapy, Tai Chi, a ropes course, and spirituality and nutrition coaching.

There’s a dedicated program for young adults, which places particular emphasis on depression, anxiety, self-esteem, and on family therapy.

Each client leaves with an aftercare plan that might include referrals to further care, details of 12-step meetings, or continued therapy or psychiatric work.

The multidisciplinary team includes an MD who’s board certified in psychiatry as well as addiction medicine, plus nurses, a pharmacist, master’s level therapists, licensed clinical social workers, and an acupuncturist. The facility’s website notes that several staff members teach at local colleges and universities, such as the University of Arizona School of Medicine. The 10 individuals polled by Rehabs.com to date on the staff’s level of training and experience gave it an average rating of 4.3 out of five stars.

The facility is an adobe-style residence with a garden, a pond, and a climbing wall on the grounds. Each resident shares a modest room and bathroom with three other clients, and the award-winning culinary team works with the staff dietitian to create healthy and tasty meals. The nine individuals polled by Rehabs.com to date on the facility’s cleanliness gave it an average rating of four stars.

Of the 22 reviews submitted to Rehabs.com to date, 19 were positive and three negative. The four alumni polled on the facility’s offerings in a variety of treatment metrics gave it average ratings of 4.25 stars, 4.25 stars, 3.75 stars, and three stars respectively for its holistic offerings, family participation, exercise and leisure options, and counseling options.

In their comments, more than one reviewer noted that the facility had saved their lives. Reviewers also repeatedly spoke highly of the center’s family program, extracurricular and holistic activities, and physical comfort. “You walk outside in the desert ecosystem to get anywhere and the grounds are beautiful. The chef is fabulous and you will get spoiled eating three nutritious, delicious meals a day,” one anonymous reviewer wrote in a representative review.

In the few negative reviews, a handful of former clients noted that the center was pricey and didn’t not accept their insurance. In addition, Jessica wrote: “The patients run the facility and nobody is there to help you,” Jill complained of poorly trained and incompetent counselors and nurses, and Casey wrote that the center “does not deal as well with serious drug addictions.” These, however, were all isolated complaints.

Of the nine reviews submitted to Rehabs.com to date, five were positive, two mixed, and two negative. The five reviewers polled on the facility’s offerings in a variety of areas gave it average ratings of 4.4 stars and 3.8 stars respectively for its counseling options and its family participation. The reviewers repeatedly wrote that the program had been transformative for the whole family, not just the client: “I attended the Family Program week, it was very powerful, taught me great communication skills to use in my everyday life, and bonded my son and I for the rest of our lives,” C.C. wrote.

There was little overlap in reviewers’ negative commentary. “My family member was in treatment for over a week without being properly evaluated,” wrote C.B., a psychiatric social worker familiar with recommended protocols. “The follow-up was poor and this is very important to me,” an anonymous reviewer added.

The single employee polled by Rehabs.com to date, C.R., gave a very positive review, giving Cottonwood three stars for its faith basis and four or five stars in the remaining 14 treatment metrics, including its exercise, leisure, and holistic options, family participation, and treatment for co-occurring disorders. “We are known for treating complex clinical cases and consistently get great outcomes,” C.R. wrote.

According to the facility’s website, Cottonwood accepts insurance from carriers including Aetna, Cigna, HealthPartners, United, and Value Options. The facility also has a relationship with a third-party lender, American Healthcare Lending. The 10 individuals polled by Rehabs.com to date on the center’s affordability gave it an average rating of 3.3 out of five stars.

Updated March 2017

Published on April 2017

My sister checked herself into Cottonwood de Tucson. I went during family week, which was a waste of time. Everything is scripted for you and I was not allowed to speak the truth or my true feelings. The facility is only aware of the patients version of everything and not the family. Family Week is a joke.

I was struggling with my moods, mental health and using drugs. Cottonwood helped me to start to understand my underlying issues and taught me the coping skills I'll need to stop harming myself and my family. I learned to meditate and journal while I was there. They had a pharmacist and an actual pharmacy onsite so I could finally get on the right medications. Without the family program I don't think my family would have ever really understood what I was going through or how they could help me on my journey. I will forever be indebted to Cottonwood, the staff and the family that owns this little gem in the desert.

I am in recovery for 30 years and a therapist who specializes in providing professional family interventions throughout the country for over 20 years, for addiction, mental health problems, personality disorders and trauma. Cottonwood De Tuscon is by far one of the best in the country for complex, difficult cases, as well as straight addiction, depression etc...having brought over 60 clients there in the last 7 or 8 years, their staff is highly competent, professional, safe and dedicated to creating a safe, holistic environment where the individuals and families suffering can heal and recover. Clients have given me rave reviews about them and I have been blessed to choose Cottonwood for my own family member, they are simply one of the best!!

Great staff and excellent one on one therapy. I was able to finally address the trauma from my childhood and come to terms with the fact that I've been self medicating with drugs and alcohol. My family and I are all on the same road to recovery and are grateful for this experience that transformed our lives. Definitely worth the investment

Cottonwood was able to treat my mood disorder. I had been self medicating with various substances so that was present as well so I appreciated that they do also offer 12 step approaches as well as SMART Recovery. What helped the most is the life skills I learned. It made me feel like my life was meaningful and I discovered that being self-efficient increases my self esteem and self worth. The staff were patient and kind with treating my mental health issues. The family program accommodated the fact that my parents are divorced so we actually did it separately. I seriously doubt any other program would do that for us. I've been in other programs and was never included in my treatment plan and this time they asked me for my input which made me feel like I was being listened to and not just another bozo on the bus. Cottonwood saved my life. I'm finally on the right medications, I can implement the coping skills I learned and proceed to be the person I wanted to be. Highly recommend.

I was not sure what to expect when I went in. (I was still in denial) I took an interest in what led me to be in there. Felt very safe and learned about my addiction and the necessary tools required to succeed when I got out. I will be forever grateful. Soon will be 18 years of sobriety and addiction free.

The person left unchanged. He passed away shortly after his stay. I can't say that it was the establishments fault. Just can't say how much they helped

they helped work through problems, focusing on your problem and the best way to get through it

people are really caring and friendly. the meal weren't too good, it'd be nice if the fee can be cheaper

There very good at keeping my mind off drinking. There's nothing wrong with it. It was a good rehab

Co-occurring disorders, BH license as well as SUD, Adolescent girls' program, individualized treatment plans, small, family owned, medical staff on site and internationally accredited school for adolescents. OON coverage only, which was weakness. Cottonwood is a well respected co-occurring disorders residential facility where we are known for treating complex clinical cases and consistently get great outcomes

My love one attended Cottonwood and we felt it was truly a beautiful transformative experience for the entire family. He received the comprehensive treatment he needed to address his addiction, trauma, adoption issues and co-dependency. Today he's a successful, confident, independent man who is a proud Alumni of Cottonwood with a message of hope for others struggling with the same issues he recovered from.

This place is a joke!! Yea, it's a nice facility, but in terms of treatment, not at all! I wasn't looking for a nice hotel, I was looking for help in my addiction. The patients run the facility and nobody is there to help you. Would never EVER recommend this facility! Being that I am from Tucson, I know at least 20 people who have gone to Cottonwood and NOT ONE left there with any treatment and every last one relapsed immediately... sad! Glad I found help elsewhere

After having been lost most of my life, not knowing what was truly going on I finally found Cottonwood. I suffer from mental health issues due to trauma and Cottonwood saved my life. I just couldn't cope and needed real treatment. It's not a spa like the other places I've been. The people that work there treat you like family. It was small so I didn't feel like just another number. Even the Pharmacist met with me for one ones. My medication finally works and I feel like I can move on with my life because I can cope with my mental health issues and actually embrace them.

I had a family member enter treatment at this facility and was appalled by the poor care and poor communication from the staff, despite a release of information signed from my family member. As a psychiatric social worker for several years I am very aware of appropriate treatment for co-occurring disorders and this facility should not be able to claim they treat co-occurring disorders or mental health conditions. Perhaps they are skilled at addressing substance use disorders but my family member was in treatment for over a week without being properly evaluated. I would never recommend this facility to anyone or let anyone I love enter treatment for a mental health condition at Cottonwood. The staff were largely very unprofessional in handling the entire situation but the facility was sure to send the large bill.

DO NOT GO TO COTTONWOOD TUCSON! This facility is a complete scam in my opinion. While being a patient there I was assigned poorly trained 1-1's, the staff and nursing unit were totally incompetent. To say I was disappointed with Cottonwood would be a complete understatement.

Cottonwood - Tucson does not do a good job as promised in helping us to have claims processed through their insurance. Not one of our $65k in claims have been processed/paid 5 mos later due to Cottonwood never seeking pre-authorization for treatment although it was deemed necessary by medical staff. They have dropped the ball once we paid them. Don't go here unless you don't care about having insurance reimbursement to help you through these significant costs.

Good food, good program, great people. Very pricey. My insurance did not cover it and my parents ended up paying for it. This is a well run world class facility, with many amenities included. The staff is well trained, and the setting is beautiful. I had as positive an experience as one can have at a rehab and was clean for 3 months and learned a lot there. I eventually got clean for good a few years later, and have remained so since.

My son was at Cottonwood for 30 days and it improved his life and gave him a base for his future and his recovery. He learned so much about himself. I attended the Family Program week, it was very powerful, taught me great communication skills to use in my everyday life, and bonded my son and I for the rest of our lives. They really know what they are doing here. I personally learned so much from the staff and the other families we met. I will never forget my time there, it was a great opportunity for my son, and I am so thankful we were able to send him here. He commented the day he left that he felt very good, he couldn't remember the last time he had felt so good and happy!. Highly highly recommended to anyone who needs help to get their lives back on track.

If sunshine and fresh air are necessary for your well-being this is a great facility. You walk outside in the desert ecosystem to get anywhere and the grounds are beautiful. The chef is fabulous and you will get spoiled eating three nutritious, delicious meals a day. They offer several selections of main course, sides and soups, and a huge and scrumptious salad bar you can make a meal from. The addiction and mental health treatment is good and diverse like most facilities in this price range. They do only follow the 12-step program though. You can't beat the weather, grounds and food. You'll experience enough discomfort as you tackle your demons, might as well be in a pretty place and well fed while you do so. Weaknesses of the facility were: 12-step rather than SMART Recovery program, cost and absence of experiential therapy.

It was a beautiful, state of the art facility.

It had great doctors and psychologists. It was wonderful and had me up and going in no time.

Beautiful location and intimate setting. My relative attended twice for an alcohol problem. The follow-up was poor and this is very important to me.

I already knew a lot about Codependency and addictive personalities. Myself, along with several other people in AZ created CODA. I was quite active with the group which included people from Phoenix, Scottsdale, Tucson, and especially Wickenburg (which has fine rehab facilities itself). This treatment at the Cottonwoods helped me implement all that I have learned in the four years prior. It was a beautiful experience.

Excellent treatment care.

The staff were fantastic. The family week program was exceptional and helped us very much. The program got our son on the road to recovery. He will be drug free and sober for year on Nov 2.

The family week was very well run (great, effective therapists and good program) and powerful. Loved the hippo therapy particularly, very enlightening. And loved being outside so much, very open and beautiful campus. Would not do well in a hospital setting. Wasn't happy with all of the therapeutic decisions/actions at the time but in retrospect they were for the best. Individual and group therapy, hippo therapy, art therapy, informative lectures, off-site 12 step meetings, knowledgable and caring staff, held me accountable, responded quickly to medical emergency (reaction to new prescribed medication), great and healthy food, opportunity for exercise (yoga to boot camp)

Very well done there.

My counselor was adept at dealing with a wide variety of people and circumstances. i don't think all the clinical staff was that good. I do think that their expertise with SA is wonderful, and that the ancillary stuff. PT and other modalities are wonderful on the main

I consider Cottonwood my home. My time there provided me with lifetime tools that still help me to this very stay. I've been sober for 29 years now. I also have over 4 years experience working at the facility that helped save my life.

Great treatment and groups if you are ready. Not 12 step based, does not deal as well with serious drug addictions.

It HELPED!

I've been to 3 and Cottonwood was by far the best .The staff was wonderful, although at times I didn't understand their reasoning but realize now it was for the best. I need I've been sober for years now.

Teleconference assisted in reviewing tools later on.

Sabino Recovery