Covenant Hills Treatment Center in San Juan Capistrano, CA

32236 Paseo Adelanto, Suite G
San Juan Capistrano CA 92629

Covenant Hills Treatment Center Philosophy

We specialize in “Whole Person Health”; a comprehensive treatment approach that incorporates heart change that leads to life change. The goal is to see this Wholeness impact the health of the entire family and not just the struggling addict. Our programs treat individuals struggling with co-occurring disorders and dual addictions, as well as those who may benefit from a strong relapse prevention curriculum. There is a warm and relational emphasis on the spiritual aspects of recovery in both our Christian 12 Step program and Traditional 12 Step program. All of this is provided in gender-specific setting. Our staff of skilled professionals administers the most sophisticated treatment available. Through individual counseling and group therapy we are able to model, teach and equip our clients to function in a setting that is larger than themselves. Considering the psychological, physical, and spiritual implications of substance abuse we simply believe that the addiction is a symptom of a deeper issue that is best addressed in the context of relationship and grace. Providing a healthy and whole approach to life includes using diet and exercise to promote physical healing, as well as, establishing a long-term plan for long-term recovery.

• Aftercare Support
    Addiction recovery does not end with discharge after completing a rehab program. Facilities that offer aftercare planning and/or support work with patients to ensure sustainable recovery by helping to plan and make arrangements for transitional or sober living, help with housing, vocational counseling, etc.

Strong sense of community

23 years of experience

Beautiful Campuses in both Californian and Texas

Robert Shryoc

Vice President

New to Southern California, Robert has worked in the treatment industry since 2009.

Dr. Rigo Brueck, PhD, LMFT

Clinical Director

Dr. Brueck is a licensed Marriage and Family Therapist. He received a Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology from the University of Freiburg in Germany. He spent many years researching and treating addictions involving substances and behaviors (gambling, internet, shopping, etc.). He has extensive experience working with depression, anxiety, impulse control, anger, post-traumatic stress disorder and relationship issues.

ABOUT COVENANT HILLS TREATMENT CENTER – CALIFORNIA

Covenant Hills Treatment Center provides substance abuse treatment to men and women at its San Juan Capistrano, Calif., and Boerne, Texas, facilities. The Christian organization emphasizes 12-Step processes and relationship-based recovery, offering support for each client’s whole person, including physical, psychological, and spiritual care. The California program, also known as a Pacific Hills Treatment Center, offers gender-specific residential, day, intensive outpatient, aftercare, and dual diagnosis treatment. While detoxification services are not available on-site, referrals to an accommodating nearby facility are available.

The first step in connecting with Covenant Hills is a phone conversation with a crisis counselor, followed by a thorough evaluation on-site, during which financial arrangements, medical needs, and individual circumstances are discussed. Upon admission, clients choose either a Christian belief-specific or traditional 12-step program, and each participant is encouraged to “connect with God,” according to the facility’s website. An initial, intensive, 30-day residential program is often followed by four to six additional weeks of transitional care.

Group and individual counseling, Gorski-model relapse prevention, pastoral counseling, 12-step meetings, and fitness therapies are offered. Individualized treatment plans help clients to address relevant challenges related to trauma, anger, relationships, and gender.

Clients who have successfully completed a residential program are eligible for free aftercare services. Intensive outpatient treatment is also offered with day or evening schedules on four to five days per week. Each program encourages family participation.

The facility’s clinical director holds a doctoral degree in clinical psychology and collaborates with master’s level therapists, licensed social workers, a staff psychiatrist, certified addiction treatment counselors, ordained ministers, and other pastoral counselors. Several staff members have worked in substance abuse rehabilitation programs for more than two decades and some, including leaders, are in recovery. The facility’s reported staff-to-client ratio is 4:1.

The California residential facility has space for 14 women and 24 men and is located in Orange County close to two beautiful beaches. Photographs of apartment-style residences feature plush furniture, sunshine, large living spaces, modern kitchens, spacious bathrooms, shared bedrooms, and a bright courtyard. Cleaning services, most meals, and CrossFit exercise sessions are included.

A majority of alumni reviews were positive, particularly noting the program’s successful outcomes. Of 21 alumni surveyed by Rehabs.com, 81 percent rated treatment effectiveness five out of five. Respondents frequently praised the caring and helpful staff and their help in overcoming initial resistance to a strict environment.

In a representative review, one alum described himself as coming into the program with a superior attitude. He wrote: “My counselor directed me to specific passages in the [Alcoholics Anonymous] big book, questioned me to challenge my held notions, and propelled me to truly identify my problem and the solution.”

Metrics measuring accommodations and faith-based treatment also received high ratings.

About five alumni noted some inconsistency in staff adherence to program rules. Four outlier reviews revealed extreme dissatisfaction, giving one-star ratings for treatment effectiveness and describing the facility as expensive and a waste.

Data collected by Rehabs.com from eleven friends and family members surveyed indicated strong satisfaction with staff, communication, family involvement, and structure. However, concerns with financial arrangements as well as with some of the more positively reviewed factors were also evident. Five reviewers mentioned the religious nature of treatment positively, but one wrote: “Religion is really forced down there throats.”

In a Rehabs.com survey, the extensiveness of holistic treatment opportunities was the only one of 15 metrics measured not to receive a rating of five out of five stars.

According to information provided to Rehabs.com by the facility, the cost of 30 days of residential treatment is $22,500 and a month in transitional care is $7,500. Several major insurance plans are accepted. One alum wrote of receiving financial assistance to cover remaining costs.

Updated February 2017

Published on February 2017

I just left this program 10 days into treatment because going into treatment for the first time I struggled, relapsed, and had anything I brought of value stolen by a house manager. A huge case of makeup from Sephora equaling $500 all my clothes aside from 5 outfits or so that are casual. $150 iPod touch nano 4 VS Bras $50 each Nike workout clothes etc and yes I am naive to theft being a prevalent thing in rehab and that we are not protected from client theft!!! Property Totaling 1-2 grand. She worked the graveyard shift and would go through the garage where they hold belongings of anyone who relapses, suitcases of clients etc. and she would put things in her car, my things were going missing more each day and I kept saying things to the entire staff and I was blown off they didn't do a search of the home or anything to help me. They don't have time for any personal attention and the director is very fake. I'm the one who figured out the employee was stealing from their safe and the garage she was even stealing food, I know these things because one night she told me and showed me the open safe etc she also asked me where to get meth and I told her where to get it and she offered to get me high. It started to click that if she is using and stealing these things she must be the one stealing my things!!! I told the director and they drug tested her I was able to prove my story about the safe and money was indeed missing and they fired her. They did not call the police like they should have about her stealing. I was constantly lied to about policies. I would be told that I signed a paper upon admission that stated they can hold my belongings for up to 12 hours upon request to leave. I asked for a copy and they told me "the wifi was down" never received a copy. Read my clients rights and it says 4 hours but was very vague. I was never given a straight answer about things. When my things were stolen they said that since I relapsed what they would do is pay 1,200 for me to go back to detox (a house they work with) and that be compensation for my belongings. On the phone with my parents she was like oh she will be getting amazing hospital care. They sent me to a home not a hospital. They also had us sign a paper saying that I agreed to this and that they are not liable for the theft in contingency with this agreement. All sounded okay at the time and then I realized we had been totally played. They said that I had signed something when I came in saying they weren't responsible so why would I need to sign something again. I didn't go to the detox and I found another rehab because this place does not run on the up and up and do not care about lying to you as long as it's in their best interest. Oh and the food sucks. Basically don't waste ur time. They don't care ur a number. There are good rehabs out there I've heard and this is not one of them. I had to wait a week to see a doctor and I needed medication. They don't care! I felt emotionally abused for relapsing and they said it was my fault and I don't have any proof of what I even came in with. Don't ware your time. You're A number. Find a better rehab!

Covenant Hills combines the key components needed for successful treatment: talented and caring staff, quality setting and accommodations away from stress and distraction, and a faith component that binds it all together. Their setting in Orange County is really nice. It is very comfortable and peaceful. The staff truly care about you getting well, and they also have an Alumni program that reaches out to you and continues to support you after you leave. They have a transitional program which takes a lot of pressure off of going back to your home environment before you might be ready. Overall, definitely a 5-star rating and highly recommended.

very well organize, staff are very caring, but strict on what you can do. Staff keeps you busy and focus on your sobriety. Staff has a schedule on the board we did the following: Exercise 5 time a week,AA every day and church on Sunday, group with all staff members once a week, the best psychologist and doctor we seen once a week or more if required. The house sitters need more training on what to do when some one goes a wall or nuts up on everybody. House sitters need to call Head Staff immediately instead of trying to handle a bad situation themselves. Reason it takes away from why we are there and we shouldn't be involved or feel nervous, upset scared in a bad situation. I miss everybody and I appreciate every thing they did for me. I learned a lot about my self. 2 houses first house learning about yourself, discipline, structure, being healthy, staying focus and stay out of drama. 2nd house transitioning in the world with AA being your guidance for the rest of your life. Beginning I was in detox for 7 days. A lot of runners in transitions house my opinion don't let anybody under 30 years old shouldn't have to much freedom. I miss everybody and I am now 6 months clean.

Strengths were the Staff And the Fact that they are Faith based. My daughter is finally thinking like a young woman.

Have worked for this company since 2002. It has been a blessing to be a part of a Treatment Center that is Christian and helped save so many lives and family's. The disease of addiction can and will destroy a person, a family, a career, all hope and dreams. This is where Covenant/Pacific Hills can and will go to any length to bring ones hope,faith and love back into their lives. Teach them and the family's how to Love and Trust one another again and to put GOD first in their lives.

All male environment. The living facility could be better

Great Christian Program with an amazing staff. The food was awesome. This place saves lives. You cannot go wrong with this Covenant Hills

Lot of sneaking out and drug use that went unnoticed. Found out from daughter that next door neighbor to facility dealt drugs.

CH communicated consistent professionalism, care and experience in my relatives crisis state. The weekly updates were important to me as the relative. The staff believed in my relative to take advantage of her opportunities for stability and sobriety. The staff believes in the power of God. Accountability was clear to my relative. My relative had multi layered attention to her needs. The staff had excellent recommendations for post program. Supervision in the program was attentive. My relative responded well to the care and opportunities at CH. She cooperated because she hated her suffering and was afraid for her future. On the third day she said, "thank you, this is saving my life." The combination of staff, policies and personal attention provided the narrow path she wobbled down. Time and her continuing cautious choices have widened her road to independence and health. I am very thankful to see her with a different and better future than she faced one year ago.

They are not afraid to enforce rules and structure...A little disceptive in there explanation and break down of services. They took advantage of our families emotional state to close us. Personal Trainers, alternate traditional track, power walks and beach time 3 times per week, basically halve truths. Religion is really forced down there throats and made to feel if the go traditional track they won't make sobriety. They are treated hostile by staff members when traditional track is requested and basically interrogated and questioned why? The cost and insurace billing is really antiquated and not fully explained. You are required to pay a deductible based on number of days in there stay and cost of 30 days. Then you are told the day of that insurance is run out and asked to pay up or collect you loved one. I understand this is just a business but they really need to tighten up big time in this area. Most on these girls are really messed up. When they are tossed out because of insurerance shortfall can cause serious problems. The admittance department should know exactly what the insurace is covering prior to admittance not after the fact. Also the the misshadling of Petty Cash. If you don't ask for this money back they won't give it back. Also having non medical personnel handling medical test results and or diceminating the results of drug test is violating HIPPA compliance. I know deep down these people want to help but staff should not be comprised of ex-addicts.

Wonderful location, sunny, beaches great mental healing atmosphere and very qualified and friendly staff. My son was not ready to recover so nothing they did would have made a difference. They did however respond immediately and acted appropriately to help him get back on track.

Christian Program that really cares about their people. True 12 step recovery program that does not just hold the hands and coddle their people. Challenges clients to actually attempt to engage in recovery. Standard issues that come with a treatment center. Conflict with individuals that don't agree with treatment, petty issues, struggles with continued care on Insurance clients. I personally had a serious problem with drugs and alcohol. College educated but for that reason I figured I could learn my way out of my struggles with drugs and alcohol. I had a serious problem with AA and the 12 steps and would not engage. My counselor directed me to specific passages in the big book, questioned me to challenge my held notions, and propelled me to truly identify my problem and the solution.

Quality staff, been in business for 23 years. Covenant Hills is a quality facility that has been in business for more than 20 years helping alcoholics and addicts and their families. I would absolutely refer any friends or family to Covenant Hills.

Strengths: Structured program, Very hands on Group therapy, Great Therapists, Very Caring and Loving, VERY Understanding, Great exercise programs, Really get down to the core issues and work with you to create a STRONG after care plan. When I was there, construction was going on at the transitional house. We couldn't access the roof top balcony which was a bummer, but other than that loved it! As much as you can love Rehab that is. This facility truly changed my life. I went in for the sole purpose and hopes of getting a lesser sentence in my court has for my second DUI. At 24 years old. I refused to believe I was an alcoholic. Thought my 60 days, I learned more about myself and what was really going on in my life than I ever thought was possible. I came to terms with my alcoholism and began the long road of discovering more about myself and how to deal with life on life's terms. I accepted myself and my higher power, and for that I will be forever grateful to Covenant Hills. They taught me how to live again and I have found a new happiness that I have never known. There are still rough days and times when I thin k there's no way I can make it through, especially without a drink, but I now know that I'm not alone. I reach out and my problems might not go away immediately, but knowing I have a HUGE support group because of Cov Hills has truly saved my life. I am blessed to have been so fortunate to get sober there and look forward to taking my 9 month chip at my home group. Thank you Covenant Hills for all that you do!

I felt like the staff really cared about my recovery and they made me deal with issues that I had been avoiding for a long time. Would have liked to get outside more. Covenant Hills is a very warm, inviting environment that enabled me to really relax and work on myself. They allowed me to block out all of the distractions from the outside world and really focus on letting go of a lot of resentments and issues I had been dealing with. Everyone that I worked with really wanted me to succeed and to be able to live a happy, sober life. I am forever grateful to all of the staff at Covenant Hills.

Having a faith based and traditional track. Really helped separate this facility from others. Overall the staff was great and I had a great experience. I'm still sober and I owe it to all the staff and the love and compassion they showed to me and all of the other clients in the program.

hypocrite staff. a total waste of time and money...but the food was good...not 30,000 dollars good.

Their reps spoke with me and the person funding this rehab and strongly recommended the spiritual, physical, social, and psycho component of recovery. They also offer Christian based recovery. I was actually living in a transition facility - the rehab itself was 45 days long at the time - and it was recommended I stay for 2-3 more months in transitional living. I should have listened! They worked with me to lower the cost. It works.

At age nineteen I found myself in an unbreakable cycle of addiction to meth. After being hospitalized too many times for malnourishment, watching them draw black blood out of my body, I knew I either had to find help quickly or die. I crawled into my father’s office and told him I was an addict and he immediately contacted Pacific Hills Treatment Center and took me there within a matter of a few days. At first I rejected their program and let my withdrawals get the best of me, not paying much attention to what the counselors had to say. I tried to justify that meth addiction and alcoholism were not the same. I tried to read books during meetings, or draw. Eventually I gave in. I soon realized that addiction is addiction and I didn’t expect myself to drink like a normal person ever since I left from there. I met a lot of wonderful people and attended many inspiring meetings. The church that we attended during my time there became my church, even after I finished with the program. Now, three years later, I am 22 years old FREE of addiction and celebrating my first year wedding anniversary with the love of my life (who is also now FREE of addiction). We have a beautiful 10 month old baby boy. And I would just like to thank the people here for giving me the tools to overcome the strongholds of addiction. And I’d like to thank God for being present at this place.

My past was very ugly. Before Pacific Hills Treatment Center, I would do nothing but smoke in my room every day.This place honestly helped me save my life. I was skeptical but it is most definitely what I needed. I feel that I have a strong foundation for staying clean and healthy. I can't even express how grateful I am to all the staff! Truly a great place to recover!

I went through Pac Hills October of 2012 and honestly couldn't of stayed sober if it wasn't for the staff at residential. These individuals have helped me beyond words. I am very grateful and thankful for this company, it's now become a part of my family. Two staff members in particular are outstanding leaders in recovery. Pac Hills saved my life. I am fortunate that through my recovery I have been able to stay close to Pac Hills and be of service. Thank you all for your service and commitment to recovery and helping others find their faith. I've been sober for 778 days now and my life is completely better!

I learned alot. needed more trauma therapy. too expensive.

This was my first time in a rehab center. I was amazed every time through how much of a difference Pacific Hills/ Covenant Hills Treatment Center made in me-well beyond my expectations! It’s a nice place to come for any alcohol and drug addiction problem, so trustworthy- and superb caring- Treatment staff. They were really so pleasant and so nice treated- highly skillful- that's just so easy for me to discuss my problems with them. They made my entire experience in transit from addicted person to sober person was just wonderful and I don't think you can find a more caring and competent professionals anywhere.

beach nearby; food were strengths. no ethics or honesty, a waste of 30,000$

I was here for a few months and it was a life changing experience. I was drawn to the facility because of the fact that they offer a Christian program for recovery. The program was outstanding. I needed to face the temptations of my addiction, as well as the Pacific Hills Treatment Center plan to live my life honestly. God bless the staff for giving me and my family a second chance.And it was a great environment for me to grow and acquire the tools that I needed to get and stay sober. All staff was really very helpful.

recovery is an individual process. rehabs are great to get you on a path, but it depends on the individual's sincerity.

Good people

My experience at the Pacific Hills Treatment Center was life saving. The counselors and staff went above and beyond their duties to help me in every way possible. I am forever grateful to them. They have changed my life. I have a purpose today and a choice today. I choose sobriety. Pacific Hills can make anything possible if you just believe in the process. From all the staff to the lovely environment to continually reaching out to the ADDICTS in need. Thanks, Pacific Hills!

I am sober today because of Pacific Hills. Treatment opened my eyes to my disease and showed me the tools to use. Because if it and my belief in what they said, I am sober today. DOS...9/29/97

Great program, Nice location-near beach, Good food, good counselors

I believe that the facility's strengths included their use very knowledgable and understanding therapists who were amazing during one on one sessions as well as leading informative and thought provoking groups. In addition, there was a comfortable staff member available to talk most of the time. I did not necessarily connect or feel compassion and understanding from some of the counselors and higher ups that ran the treatment center. Overall I feel that this treatment center was a successful experience for me. It provided me the tools that I needed to lead a sober life and would recommend it to people trying to get sober.

not trustworthy; do not follow their own rules and set good examples' irresponsible. The location and food was good but I felt they were unethical.

Sobertec
  • Gorgeous Beach Community
  • Several Modalities for Therapy
  • Relaxing Setting
CareForward Health
  • Effective, evidence-based practices
  • Team of professional Chemical Dependency Counselors and Licensed Therapists bring decades of experience
  • Client Focused, Strength Based, Community Forward.