Farley Center at Williamsburg Place in Williamsburg, VA

5477 Mooretown Road
Williamsburg VA 23188

Farley Center at Williamsburg Place Philosophy

Abstinence is the goal at The Farley Center, which integrates the 12-step principles into a flexible treatment program that includes therapeutic intervention, individual and group therapy and life-skills coaching. Addiction is treated as a disease and this facility works to restore hope to individuals, and their families, affected by substance abuse and dependency.

• Medical Detoxification
    Drugs and alcohol have widespread effects throughout your body, including but not limited to the addiction and/or physical/psychological dependence that develops with substance abuse over time. Many organ systems are affected by addiction and will react to withdrawal. The term “medical detoxification” means that there is a trained and licensed medical professional onsite to monitor your vital signs and protect your physical and emotional health as your body goes through withdrawal.

Extended Care

Aftercare

Family Program

Don McCourtney, Ph.D.

Executive Director

In January 2011, Don McCourtney joined The Farley Center at Williamsburg Place
from HarborCrest Behavioral Health, an addiction treatment program at Grays Harbor Community Hospital in Aberdeen, Washington. For over three years, Don
provided leadership at HarborCrest as the Director of Behavioral Health. Don has been with Diamond Healthcare since 2007 and brings over thirty-six years of extensive experience in the field of addiction and mental health to Williamsburg. His background includes clinical and managerial skills with inpatient, outpatient, and managed care settings.

Melissa Lee Warner, MD

Medical Director

Dr. Melissa Lee Warner is a Family Practice physician who has
specialized in Addiction Medicine. A graduate of Eastern Virginia Medical School in Norfolk, Virginia, Dr. Warner completed her Family Practice residency at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio. She completed a fellowship in Addiction Medicine at Willingway Hospital in Statesboro, Georgia; with a
concurrent faculty development fellowship in Family Medicine at UNC Chapel Hill.

Rehabs.com Editorial Review

ABOUT FARLEY CENTER AT WILLIAMSBURG PLACE

Located beside the scenic Waller Mill Park near colonial Williamsburg, Va., the Farley Center at Williamsburg Place offers medical detox, short- and long-term residential care, and outpatient treatment for adults struggling with substance abuse. Though some co-occurring difficulties are addressed — including process addictions, trauma, and relationship issues — the Farley Center treats addiction as a primary illness.

Treatment is firmly rooted in the disease concept of addiction and the 12-Steps, and step work is supplemented by cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and pharmacotherapy. Goals of treatment include reconnecting with feelings, identifying issues underlying the addiction, and developing strategies for relapse prevention. Families are encouraged to attend a weekend-long family program.

The main treatment modality utilized is group therapy, although individual counseling is also offered. Experiential therapies include the Mandala Assessment Research Instrument (MARI) and activity therapy.

In addition to primary residential treatment, there’s an extended residential program for those struggling with unresolved problems, such as chronic relapse, chronic pain, and/or dual diagnosis. An intensive outpatient program (IOP) offers a minimum of three hours of therapy, four times a week.

There’s a military support program for active servicemen and vets, a young adult track for those aged 18 to 25, and a track for professionals, including those in the medical profession.

Aftercare consists of a clinical group and referrals to Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) and Narcotics Anonymous (NA) meetings. All successful graduates are also eligible to enroll in a 12-month recovery support program, which includes weekly check-ins from a clinician.

According to the Farley Center’s website, staff include an addiction medicine physician, a psychiatrist, psychologists, licensed social workers and counselors, and nurses.

The residential facility was remodeled in 2015, according to the Farley Center’s website. It offers semi-private accommodations in two-bedroom apartments, each equipped with a kitchen and a washer/dryer. The entire campus is tobacco-free, and support with smoking cessation is provided.

Reviews from more than two dozen former clients surveyed at the time of this writing indicated that the facility provided mostly above-average treatment. The 11 alumni who evaluated the following metrics gave the facility average ratings of 3.91 out of five stars for its family participation; 3.7 stars for its cleanliness, its connectivity, and its exercise and leisure options; 3.55 stars for its affordability; and 3.27 stars for its counseling options. The lowest-rated metric evaluated was the center’s holistic offerings, which received an average of just 2.9 out of five.

The 10 alumni who evaluated the staff’s level of treatment and experience gave it an average rating of 4.8 out of five stars. “The Staff are professional and compassionate. They are well trained and it shows. Money is not their objective but saving my life was,” wrote alum B.L in a representative review.

Loved ones also gave Farley Center mostly above-average ratings for its treatment. The seven friends and family who evaluated the following metrics awarded the facility 4.71 out of five stars for its cleanliness, 4.28 stars for its level of family participation,

4.23 stars for its counseling options and its staff’s level of training and experience, and 4.14 stars for its connectivity policy and its exercise and leisure activities. “I am very pleased with the progress [my daughter] made in the 28 day program which is mostly group based,” said one representative reviewer. “She has taken ownership and is now PERSONALLY accountable to sobriety.”

According to its website, the Farley Center at Williamsburg Place accepts insurance from providers including Blue Cross Blue Shield, Cigna, Value Options, and TRICARE. It also has a relationship with the medical loans company M-Lend Financial.

The 11 alumni who evaluated the facility’s affordability to date gave it a rating of 3.55 out of five stars. One Rehabs.com respondent, C.D., indicated that although their insurance neglected to cover the end of treatment, “the Center gave me a scholarship so I could stay and finish the program.”

Updated March 2017

Published on April 2017

The Staff are professional and compassionate. They are well trained and it shows. Money is not their objective but saving my life was. The CEO went out of his way to assure my family and I had the care we needed despite my limited resources. He can be tough but it is clear he cares about helping IF we wanted to help ourself, which I did. My guess if people complain about the Staff at Farley including the CEO is that they did not get their way. I needed to surrender and when I did everything in my life improved. The statement "It works if you work so work it" applies to my life. Thank you to The Fsrely Center you saved my life. This place is the best. Do not listen to those that complain. They are probably using again.

caring and astute none that I notices Saved my life.

My daughter attended treatment and is still sober. I am so proud of her. The Farley staff was patient and caring with me and my daughter. The family program was outstanding as was her counselor. The CEO spent time with me about 1 hour helping me to understand me daughters addiction was not my fault. God Bless Farley and all they do. It was a blessing to my daughter and my family. I would suggest Farley to anyone who needs help. Great people.

This place saved my life. I cannot believe the bad reviews on here, but they are just that, bad reviews by people in denial. This place is great, staff is great and the treatment provided is excellent. Can't say enough about my experience. Life changing/saving.

This is a great place to go. It saved my life. All the staff was helpful and were interested in me. The reviews must be from very sick people as my treatment was great. The comment about the CEO is totally without merit. It is clear he cares and does all the staff at Farley. It is too bad that others missed the point of recovery. I know I did not

Please do not even consider going to this facility if you need to get off benzodiazepines. The staff have no knowledge of how to treat benzodiazepine withdrawal, which needs to be done slowly over a lengthy period of time. No matter whether you have never had a history of drug abuse or are there to try to taper off medication that was prescribed for you, you will be told by the counselors that you are a drug addict. Needles to say, I left there as soon as I became stable. Because of the strong medication I was given at the Farley Center, I became sicker and sicker after I came home. Thank God I found a nurse practitioner who was experienced with benzo withdrawal, and am now on medications that are helping me to recover. Take my advice, do not go here to recover from benzodiazepines that were prescribed for you.

The facility looks nice but the workers are very rude. My husband has had little to no contact with me or our children since being in there...Our family and our young children have been through an astonishing amount of torture and hurt since the drugs have taken over his life. Now I have to explain to our children why daddy doesn't want to see or talk to them anymore. It is heartbreaking to say the least. Definitely not a family oriented place and is seeming to do more harm than good. It's very lenient there and they are allowed to leave to go shopping at the outlet mall, walk to gas stations, go to Walmart, and anywhere else they desire. I would not recommend this program to anyone who has a family at home hoping and praying their loved one will get better and benefit from this rehab facility. He did say the food is amazing and never wants to eat my terrible cooking again so I will give the food five stars! I'm just sharing a personal experience.

This treatment center is a model of what others should be like. Having been to another one, I can easily compare the right and wrong. They have lots of structure, they have rules to help focus on yourself, and they are lenient when it comes to being allowed to leave campus and be somewhat normal during treatment. Many of the staff are also in recovery and though this is debatable on what works best for treatment, I found it better to relate and I felt that the staff could better understand what we were going through. The days are long but necessary and providing meetings on and off site daily is great for getting used to it. Food is great but becomes repetive toward the last week. The other treatment center was all about the money and provided no direction. Farley helped open my eyes and helped flip the switch to actually start working recovery.

We sent our daughter here after a referral from her SAC who also told us this is where the "professionals" go for rehab so they must be vetted quite a bit. I am very pleased with the progress she made in the 28 day program which is mostly group based. She was in complete denial and at rock bottom with little coping skills before she started. Now she is motivated, organized and it is as if she is a totally different person with her maturation level (she just turned 21 but very immature) She has taken ownership and is now PERSONALLY accountable to sobriety. Complainers gripe about the rules? The rules for no phones, pairing, isolation and strict procedures seem good for the rehab of the addict and also as they deal with addicts of all levels who have lived knowing how to get around rules and telling lies etc. The family weekends where we spent three days with 18 other addicts of all ages and their families was worth the price of admission even if your insurance isnt paying ( which I think most people were able to be assisted with insurance). Your experience in my opinion will be based on how YOU work the program along with the QUALITY of the 65-75 of your peers who will be there while you are there (if you small and large groups are supportive and working the programs it will work. If everyone is resistive I would think it would be harder for the counselors to get you through the program). I met mostly CHANGED patients during our visits. The peers call each other out if you go astray and the addict is more likely to get back in line if their peer calls them out vs. their parent, spouse etc). My only complaint is the lack of communication with the families but all in all maybe that was a GOOD thing as they are trying to get the enablers like us out of making every single move for the addict and get the addict to stand tall. Also the privacy laws block a lot of this stuff and it seemed everyone was paranoid of that.

Horrific experience - don't be fooled by the veneer on this place. The CEO is rude and obnoxious and has created a toxic climate in which he essentially holds patients who have few other options... I personally had him tell me "if you don't like it, leave". The staff is poorly educated, coming from some of the bottom institutions in the US. The nursing staff is rude and short, and possess minimal communication skills... Visiting hours are limited to Sundays, and they arbitrarily change them for holidays (eg Christmas) with little thought or reason. Also, don't believe everything on their web site - much of what you read there only applies to the "professional program" - it is at best, misleading at worst, fabricated. There is no personalized program at all - it is mindless application of a standardized program in one size fits all fashion - despite coming from another hospital, the Farley Center refused to even speak to the previous care team or even read their care plan. Patient records and conditions are talked about openly, and patients are derided in public - in one group setting, the CEO told the staff to "get a patient out of here" then went on to talk about him after he left. There is simply no adherence to a medical code of ethics - this is a factory, plain and simple. I have ample experience with other facilities, and this one is at the bottom - pretty on the outside, rotten on the inside. AVOID IT IF AT ALL POSSIBLE.

I was a patient there four years ago. The experience was amazing. I have been to many of the other prominent facilities around the country and this was by far the best experience I have had. The counselors were top notch. The other patients were terrific. The food was great. Williamsburg is a great recovery community that participates in the program. I would highly recommend the professional program.

Looked-through these posts. Perhaps, perhaps, some of them should have surprised me - but I was surprised! - some of them were written by seriously-unhappy people. I've been out-of-Farley for over a decade. I doubt that I'd have lived this long had I not gone there. Truely, Farley/AA's 12-Step Program saved my life. Of course, it wasn't a 'vacation' - Recovery isn't easy. But, with and through Farley and AA, Recovery became possible for me. I highly-recommend Farley, and AA - and, well, my comment for those unhappy with either program is this - "First, Stop Drinking/Using". Then, follow the rest of the Steps. THEN, either quickly or slowly ... but you know the rest, right?

Worst experience of my life. I was sent here 6 years ago and am still mad about it. Most of the staff treat the patients like petulant children. You aren't allowed to become good friends with another patient (this is called "pairing"), you aren't allowed to go for morning jogs, even if you stay in the parking lot (I broke this rule anyway -- went on 30 minute jogs each morning and was accused of being an exercise bumimic even though I am not bulimic and never have been), they encourage snitching (in fact, they hold periodic sessions where all the patients take turns snitching on each other).. you get in trouble for associating too much with the opposite sex (I went on a walk around the parking lot with a married man and was accused), and they won't sign papers stating you were successful with the program unless you "admit" you are an alcoholic/addict that can never safely have a drink again. I got kicked out early for "pairing," for jogging, and for refusing to label myself as an alcoholic. It is quite traumatic to be uprooted from your life and placed in a facility for any amount of time. Add demeaning staff, nonsensical rules, and a snitch culture and the trauma is only magnified. And, no, I am not another "disgruntled addict." On my own, I eventually just outgrew the behaviors that landed me in this place. I no longer abuse my prescriptions and I drink moderately (maybe 2 beers a night three times a week). This place is a racket. They prey on scared family members who are willing to shell out any amount of money to save their loved one. My poor parents bought into this. I wholeheartedly forgive my parents but I will not forgive for-profit organizations like this that prey on family's fears in order to meet their bottom line.

This place helped turn my life around.

Farley Center saved my life. The professional staff not only has the highest level of training and accreditation but also the passion and dedication to counsel the patients with the rigorous honesty necessary to recognize the gravity of this disease. The day I left was the first day at a life with all the possibilities I had before succumbing to this deadly and devastating addiction.

I read some of these comments, and am shocked. I am a two time graduate of the program - the last was 19 years ago. Is there treatment effective? Absolutely. I am still using what the taught me. I am using what they taught me in everyday living. The accommodations, are much more modern now. Come on peoples, this is 'rehab' not vacation. The meals and nutrition - better than what I was consuming when high, for sure, but besides that joke, very great! I can't say enough great things about my experience. Did they pat me on the check and make all my wishes come true? No, but I am now 19 years + sober and have the life now that I could only have dreamed of 20 years ago! Believe me, if I can get sober and stay sober, so can YOU!

Please please please do not send yourself or a loved one here! I was sent to this facility and was horribly disappointed. They like to put on a nice and professional face upfront but it's all smoke and mirrors. The room I was originally detoxing in had leftover "content" from a previous tenant along with dead bugs in drawers and old USED dental floss under the cabinet. The overall detoxing facility was outdated, dirty, and the nursing staff could care less if you needed something. It took me almost a week to see an actual Doctor one on one, even though they say you will have tons of face to face time with their professionals. As soon as I was moved out of detox into one of their apartments (which in all fairness are nice- ish) I was informed that my insurance wouldn't cover any more of my stay and I would have to come up with an absurd amount of money to continue with the program. You are not treated like an individual AT ALL. You are an addict and deserve to be treated like every other addict there which feels like your being herded like cattle with your case number stamped on your forehead. Please do yourself a favor and really do your research if you are in need of rehabilitation. Don't be afraid to ask touchy questions or be afraid to be very thorough with any individual or program you look into.

DO NOT GO TO THIS CENTER. The staff is rude. The meetings and groups are a joke. There is no support whatsoever except from your fellow "inmates" who they do not allow you to socialize with unless you are the same sex and in the same program. The segregation is pre-historic. The counsellors are awful and mean. This program would not work for anyone. Do not waste your time or your money.

My sister is currently at Farley and I am very pleased with the progress she is making. She was in complete denial before she was admitted and now it is as if she is a totally different person: more honest, insightful, and committed to sobriety. Yes, some of the rules seem a bit much but I think this is because they have to be strict as they deal with addicts who know how to get around rules.

Of course I didn't want to go to any rehab center. I believe that it is a facility to help reorganize your day to day life as a healthy person. There are rules and regulations everywhere you go in life, deal with that. I pulled myself together to fit in society again for my self , family and friends. I didn't think the food was that great, but meeting people who had hardships when I went made me feel I wasn't alone. Today I'm still not alone out here after rehab. It is something I will always remember and always refer to anyone who I feel I can help. It's not a place to be selfish, it's a place to find your presence in life and get back to reality as much as you might think it sucks. You can make a difference. One quote I always think of at needed times is " shut the freak up and listen". it works Don't knock it til you try it. Another positive memory is find your own spiritual side. You don't have to be religious to have it. Make it your own and own it. Staff was strict to be as expected considering they are dealing with people who are addicted to substances. All staff , nurses , drivers, therapists, did their job to try to make it as smooth as possible for everyone. I would recommend Farley Center. Plus when you earn to get off campus downtown Williamsburg is right down the street. Going to meetings off campus may seem lame but anything to get out to see something different was fun.

The aftercare plan and daily groups were great. Saved my life. Excellent program. Would recommend to anyone.

The patient accomodation was nice. Very nice place, nice people, and helpful with recovery.

Clean and got nice nature environment. Some staff are not pleasant. More communication between facility and family members.

Some of the staff are great but many of the nurses and at least one of the therapists seem to use their power over the patients not therapeutically but in a manner that worsens the patient's condition.

Good lectures. Good food. Poor planning and poor living conditions. Counselors kind of fanatics. Some nurses and techs (drivers) veryyyyy rude.

This was the worst rehab center that i have ever been to, and i have been to 4 total. It isn't anything but a long term detox center. DO NOT GO HERE. The only thing that this place is good for is to look good for court and thats a stretch. I went there with the intention of really getting clean but their counselors are a JOKE. There groups will have you stir crazy, there are maybe 5 groups out of the 60 or so we go to that are worth anything. The counselors are disrespectful, lazy, and incompetent. they are all about money and getting you in and out as fast as possible. I repeat do not go here. Its a 18,000$ mistake. Only thing decent about this place is the meals.

Classes were good Staff, extracurricular activity needs improvement. Overall I would recommend this rehab, but as we all know there is always room for growth. Staff tends to favorite individuals which isn't too anywhere but def not in a treatment center. There could be more active activities offered.

Kind staff, Wish there were more options than just 12 step program. Detox facility on site. Psych ward on site. Apts to stay in with 3 roommates.

Good program but pricy

I felt it wasn't the type of facility that was fit for me. Not enough individual focus whatsoever

Good food, good group therapy but Infrastructure needs improvement

Compassionate, creative, knowledgeable but Costly. All in all a solid program Especially for healthcare professionals. It's centrally located in Virginia. Our only complaint was the pricing and the ability to Set up a payment plan when we ran into issues with our insurance.

Do not send a loved one here. They will not help you. They are just there to take your money, then kick you out before getting the help you deserve and want.

Extremely disappointed with professionalism. Son discharged due to emotional outburst within days of completion. Now back to jail for months of waiting for system that is broken at best. Phone calls not returned by staff. Unfortunately this has been our overall experience with rehab facilities. Grab the money and run.

You can tell that the staff doesn't care. It's so sad, because this place has a lot of potential, but they have lost that their mission is to help others.

Do not go here, PLEASE do NOT go here. They don't care.

NEVER WOULD I SENT A FAMILY MEMBER HERE! DO NOT GO HERE! The staff is rude, and they just don't care. They are not professional. They don't take into consideration that people are not rich! They have to work, and have to pay to go here. They look down on those that don't have money.

Ants, ants, ants! This is a profit center, not a focus on patient rehabilitation center. Definitely a cookie-cutter approach for all issues, whether someone addicted to drugs or alcohol. At best (sometimes) a patient might receive a 20 minute personal counseling session with a counselor per week, sometimes.....truth.

I am a current patient. There are a few great employees. At times the nursing staff makes sizable mistakes and then covers them up, and most of the counselors I've encountered are extremely rude to patients. People with addictions need positive support and compassion. Cannot recommend Farley Center at Williamsburg for effective detoxification nor treatment. Disgruntled patients are leaving left and right currently.

I was the oldest person with just alcohol problems and mostly everyone else was young and had drug and assorted problems. It was truely an eye opening experience.

They assigned a therapist for me with a similar background-- we both suffer with physical pain and relapsed after long term sobriety. This place saved my life!

They are tolerant and compassionate. Visitation was liberal and supervised visits were easy to request if needed. However, elderly care is not a strong point.

They use a cookie cutter approach instead of a tailored individual one. Program has two options - one for the general population and one for medical professionals. Medical professional option is excellent - general pop is substandard.

I would most definitely recommend this facility! They give excellent care and it is a great program.

A majority of the staff, from therapists to nurses, know the disease first hand and can better relate. The Farley Center gave me my life back! I had given everything up to reach my bottom and almost 2 years later, I have everything plus some. Great facility and highly recommended! However, the price is very high.

They have experienced counselors; however, the facility is dirty and some of the nurses are not compassionate.

It is clean, friendly and the price is worth paying. It makes a person emotionally, mentally and physically fit.

Farley only provided me with information on where to go and when. It just was confusing-- I was on two different schedules so I was doing yoga in one room and somebody pulled me out of there to put me in another room. It was very confusing and I think they need to work on that. No I'd like a more holistic approach . Less. Lithium.

My family found the place, but I decided to go because they have a program for professionals that is more rigorous ands longer than the typical 28 days.

Of all the places you could admit yourself to, this should be one of the last. The impression I've made as a former patient, using experience and hindsight, is that this institution has existed for decades as the "go-to" for the medical, legal, and similarly professional fields to send employees with substance abuse problems. This can be witnessed first hand within the program, where those patients from the professional world are in a separate program from the other patients, using the same facilities at the same time. The "other" patients are instructed not to interact with them, including at meals together and on the grounds/in the common room. The institution seems to survive off of this steady stream of professionally referred patients solely, with no accountability for the quality of care it offers. Things I witnessed as a patient: a complete lack of communication between doctors and nurses resulting in many mistakes, a complete disregard by the center for its own disciplinary system and contract that patients were required to read and sign. They also have a reputation for insurance issues and shady clerical work. My experience can confirm this. If you have a problem, there are a lot of helpful and caring facilities, this isn't one of them.

The Farley Center has some of the most uneducated, harsh staff I've ever seen in my life. ... If you want to kick whatever is destroying your life do not come here. ... Once again if you're really seeking recovery do not waste your money ...

I feel somewhat betrayed. As soon as I finished detox they told me my insurance would not pay and I could not stay. I thought I would have several weeks of treatment because I was completely incapacitated by alcohol and had no home or job. Instead it was bait and switch.

I loved this place it it the ultimate treatment program you get classes 7x a week different counselors, games, activities i absolutely loved it. A must attend.

Three days after being there I felt wonderful. The actives were so helpful and I learned so much about why I was addicted and how to treat those problems. It helped me so much and set me up for success. I only relapsed due to my own negligence of the program. I was only 19 .

Fantastic facility from the cleaning staff up to the Director

Behavioral Wellness & Recovery
  • A comprehensive approach to substance use disorder treatment
  • Community and peer-based models such as 12-step mutual aid programs
  • Long-term recovery training and strategic planning
Victory Bay Recovery Center