5140 Dunstan Road
Greensboro NC 27405

Fellowship Hall Philosophy

Located in a serene and tranquil setting in Greensboro, North Carolina, Fellowship Hall is an alcohol and drug addiction treatment center based on the 12-Step model of recovery. Compassionate, cost-effective care is coupled with individualized treatment plans to give each client the opportunity to create a program of recovery that’s sustainable and fulfilling. The facility offers a wide range of services, including inpatient detoxification and rehabilitation, residential treatment, partial hospitalization, intensive outpatient, family programming, extended treatment and transitional living.

• Holistic Therapy
    Facilities that offer “holistic therapy” see and treat patients in the context of their entire lives and health status. They treat the “whole person,” not just the addiction.

• Medical Detoxification
    Drugs and alcohol have widespread effects throughout your body, including but not limited to the addiction and/or physical/psychological dependence that develops with substance abuse over time. Many organ systems are affected by addiction and will react to withdrawal. The term “medical detoxification” means that there is a trained and licensed medical professional onsite to monitor your vital signs and protect your physical and emotional health as your body goes through withdrawal.

Family Program

Primary Program

Extended Treatment

Mike Yow

Interim President

Mike Yow began his career in substance abuse treatment in 1988 at the Crawford Center in Greensboro, NC. Mike brings a broad range of experience in inpatient, outpatient, and extended treatment services. He has been certified by the North Carolina Substance Abuse Professional Practice Board since 1993 and licensed since 1998. He holds a BA from Greensboro College and a Masters from UNC Greensboro. Mike joined Fellowship Hall in 1993 and has served as Assistant Clinical Director since 2001. He helped implement Fellowship Hall’s Extended Treatment Program in 2011 and has facilitated the program for the past 5 years.

Mike Washo, MD

Medical Director

Dr. Washo arrived as Medical Director at Fellowship Hall from RJ Blackley Alcohol and Drug Abuse Treatment Center in Butner, NC, where he served as staff psychiatrist.

He holds a Bachelor’s Degree from Duke University and completed medical school at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. He is Board Certified by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology and holds a second Board Certification from the American Board of Addiction Medicine. Through Fellowship Hall’s teaching relationship with Duke University School of Medicine Department of Psychiatry, Dr. Washo was no stranger to Fellowship Hall as he completed a clinical rotation here in the mid-2000s as part of his psychiatric residency at Duke.

Rehabs.com Editorial Review

ABOUT FELLOWSHIP HALL

Located on 120 acres of land northeast of Greensboro, N.C., Fellowship Hall is a private, not-for-profit treatment center for individuals struggling with addiction to drugs and alcohol. The center provides detox, residential, and outpatient services, and on-campus sober-living facilities.

Though the facility can accommodate and treat individuals struggling with depression and anxiety, it will work to find a more appropriate facility for individuals whose psychiatric disorders interfere with their ability to complete the program.

Treatment is based on the 12-Steps, and aims for abstinence.

Upon admission, new clients are assessed by the medical team, to establish any detox needs. Detox typically lasts between one and five days, and is available only as part of an extended rehab program. In fact, therapeutic rehab services begin during the detox process.

Residential treatment is gender-separate and typically lasts three to six weeks. The program includes individual counseling (at a minimum rate of two sessions per week); group therapy, including a grief group; psychoeducational lectures; and sessions on building the necessary skills for long-term recovery. Extracurricular activities include recreational therapy and yoga classes. Families are encouraged to attend a four-day family program, and for women, there’s a special emphasis on trauma-informed care.

There are dedicated treatment tracks for young adults and licensed professionals, as well as an extended-treatment program open to all residents, which takes treatment up to eight or ten weeks. This program includes eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR), yoga three times a week, daily group therapy, and individual counseling.

Outpatient options include an intensive outpatient program (IOP) that meets for nine hours a week in the daytime or the evening, as well as general outpatient care.

The center provides alcohol and drug addiction training to Duke University’s psychiatric residency program. Staff includes a board-certified psychiatrist, nurses, a licensed clinical social worker, and addiction counselors. The 11 individuals polled by Rehabs.com to date on the staff’s level of training and experience gave it an average rating of 3.36 stars.

This is a 100-bed facility, with 24 of those beds in a newly constructed lodge specifically for women. The main building is an attractive, traditional Southern-style mansion, with a lake, woodland, and 12 manicured gardens, each corresponding to a step in recovery. Inside, the facility is modern and somewhat clinical, with a basketball court and a fitness room. Families are invited to visit on Sundays. The 11 individuals polled by Rehabs.com to date on the center’s cleanliness gave it an average rating of 3.91 stars.

Alumni reviews submitted to Rehabs.com at the time of this writing were mostly positive: of the 19 alumni asked whether they would recommend the facility, 15 said yes, three said no, and one remained neutral. Even so, the seven alumni polled on the facility’s offerings in a variety of treatment metrics gave it average ratings of 3.71 stars, 2.86 stars, and 2.14 stars respectively for its family participation, holistic offerings, and counseling options, indicating a somewhat no-frills program.

The reviewers repeatedly described the staff as kind and caring, and were comforted that several staff members were in recovery themselves. Some also praised the physical facility, in particular the meditation and walking trails; in the most glowing reviews; several alumni credited the facility with saving their lives or helping them to achieve lasting sobriety. “The tools that you need for recovery are explained and laid at your feet. With the encouragement of the ENTIRE staff from the CEO down to the maintenance workers I was able to pick up those tools and am now living a sober life happy, joyous and free!” S.J. wrote in a representative review.

The main source of contention was the facility’s use of the 12-step program: while some alumni pinpointed the program as the source of their sobriety, others felt restricted by the lack of alternatives: “Only had 12-step programs that do not work for everyone and it was very old fashioned,” B.S.M. wrote in a representative review. Indeed, Jonathon wrote that he “left feeling worse.” Other reviewers repeatedly cited the program’s cost as a weakness — though on the whole, alumni comments were positive.

Reviews from loved ones were also mostly positive: all 10 of the reviewers polled by Rehabs.com to date on whether they would recommend this facility wrote that they would. All three of the reviewers polled on the facility’s offerings in a variety of treatment metrics gave it five stars for its treatment effectiveness and four stars for its counseling options.

Reviewers repeatedly cited the cost of treatment as a weakness and the staff as a strength. Numerous reviewers also praised the center for the way it involved families in treatment: “Fellowship Hall offers a Family Week that was highly recommended. We participated in this week and were very glad we did! It gave us an opportunity to learn more about alcoholism from a parent's perspective,” S.T. wrote in a representative review.

Treatment costs $18,000 per month and $34,500 for 90 days. Fellowship Hall accepts private insurance on an out-of-network basis, and has a relationship with third-party medical loans company My Treatment Lender. The 11 individuals polled by Rehabs.com to date on the center’s affordability gave it an average rating of three stars.

Updated March 2017

Published on April 2017

12- Step approach, butlimited to 12-StepThe staff were very kind, the facility appears as a retirement home might, it was primarily 12-step focused, there weren't many alternatives offered outside of the 12-step approach to recovery.

Very nice facility. However will only be effective if and only if the participant is 100% committed to wanting help. Cannot work if it is the parent ' s goal. Sadly Fellowship was a fail for my son.

I was at Fellowship Hall back in 2005. They are spot on knowing how to help people get clean and sober and with the tools to continue to stay that way. Over the years they have only been getting better and better in how they can help people. Most of the people on staff are in recovery so they know exactly what each resident is going through. I owe my life today to them.

Don't hang your hope here. Beautiful facility. However, they do not work well with families and things go on there which are never made clear to the family. They get their money first and then things can go south really quick. Two family members have been here and both have not done well after their treatment. Do not trust their techniques and especially not one of their counselors.

I had a good experience at Fellowship Hall and found great benefits from the program. I was there 28 days. Finances were a huge concern for me and my family, but the staff worked with me and my insurance company prior to my arrival to make sure that we understood the cost and what would be covered. We paid in full up front with the understanding that my therapeutic team would give regular updates to the insurance company who would in-turn continue or cancel my coverage at Fellowship. I was lucky to have been approved for a total of 26 days by my insurance company and then scholarshipped the final two days. The experience was incredible and although it put a financial strain on me and my family, we made it work. Fast forward 9 months, I received a letter in the mail from Fellowship that stated I had an account balance of several thousand dollars. Confused, I called to inquire about how I could have a balance and I was told that my insurance company made a mistake and that I now owed a substantial amount of money. When I asked about the documents I signed during my 'check-out' that showed the amount I owed (which was $459), the lady on the phone said "that document states that it's just an estimate". She was rude, cold and condescending. She told me to write a letter to the CEO. Today I received a second collection letter from Fellowship, only the second time I've ever been notified about the balance. The letter was aggressive and

This is a very strange place... I would not recommend this place to any one.

My son just completed his 28 day treatment at FH. He will stay for 60 more days in a house on-site. This place is phenomenal. The staff is incredible. They care about their guests. They get one-on-one counseling that is invaluable. The guests all respect and care about each other. The family program is extremely helpful in teaching families about addiction and recover. I would highly recommend this place. It has changed our lives for the better.

I attended the Extended inpatient Program. The counseling helped me face a new life in recovery. I highly recommend Extended Care. I did not meet one employee at FH who wasn't qualified and encouraging. It was reassuring to leave Extended with the tools to readjust and remain sober. The family was excellent and helped my family so much. Extended was critical for my recovery. Thanks to all!!

Discharge/aftercare is not what it could be. Fellowship Hall is an excellent facility with many caring staff members. The people and the facility really made this place great.

The first week my loved one was there was great. They push the family program and it is expensive. The beautiful walking trails seemed to always be closed because residents would smoke. After going to the family program, I realized there was a lot of drama between residents and even staff. I wasn't thrilled with the family counseling as I felt my loved one was having a bad day and he was told he had already relapsed in his mind and for him to go write his obituary. Food was ok

I feel as if at the extended care, spouses should be more involved, based on what i see maritial issues are discussed a lot, and the sides of both parties are not taken in to consideration

It's staff and location were great. Located just outside of a larger city, Fellowship Hall is secluded, peaceful, and offers a life-changing experience. All you need is a desire to quit using and Fellowship Hall takes over. I wouldn't trade my experience there for the world! I'm now sober 10 years!

Very encouraging, and attentive. Amazing, loved it.

They seem to care alot about you. Need more spetialist in some areas. They really help u with your rehab care about u as a person. Work with you closely.

FELLOWSHIP HALL is a great place. It gave my loved one a new life. Any age group can be successful there, but if you aren't willing to work hard and abide by the rules, forget it.. forget any sobriety program.. Parents, Spouses, don't force your love one to go, it won't work.. The Family Support Program that is offered is a MUST,, best education I have ever gotten about Addiction. If your love one is not ready, forget sending them, they will leave, and you have wasted your time.. You can't make the Alcoholic or Addict stop using, only they can. 12 Step Works if you work it, if you aren't willing they no it won't work.. 12 Steps is not a Religious Program even though some think it is, however it may lead a person to choose a spiritual path, and if the path means sobriety then wonderful. If you are a family member, or loved one of a addict or alcoholic, I encourage you to get into RECOVERY yourself, find a Al ANON meeting or NAR ANON meeting, you will be amazed the difference these meetings will make in your life..

Fellowship Hall is a cross between kindergarden and prison. An iill person is not in need of toilet cleaning and punishment for conversations with members of the opposite sex. The focus should be on getting us well and it was not

Most counselors were recovering addicts. It was expensive, only had 12-step programs that do not work for everyone and it was very old fashioned.

I asked to use my cell phone to call my mother. They were trying to sell here a costly family program. The conflicts of interest with two staff is staggering. I left feeling worse. However, the food was good.

Most of the employees are in recovery. Fellowship Hall saved my life. Any amount would have been worth it. I was at the end, bankrupt spiritually, emotionally and physically. Had I not gone I would have died. Recommended an out patient counselor and also made contact with a "temporary" AA sponsor before I left the facility for my aftercare. The treatment there is professional and caring. The goal of helping you become and stay clean and/or sober were met with me. And if I can do it, trust me, anyone can do it. It far exceeded my expectations. They also offer some scholarships. Fellowship Hall and it's staff create a strong recovery atmosphere. The tools that you need for recovery are explained and laid at your feet. With the encouragement of the ENTIRE staff from the CEO down to the maintenance workers I was able to pick up those tools and am now living a sober life happy, joyous and free!

I was not able to come home to a strong IOP in my county. There was no female meetings. I had to eventually find a female sponsor on my own, start a women's meeting myself, but still have to drive across 2 counties to get to an IOP. I relapsed after 3 months but resumed sobriety immediately!

It kept me clean.

They saved my life. As a whole, the program can save your life if you accept and work it. I was at my rock bottom in my life at the time. I was reminded of my self-worth by the wonderful staff and the fellowship is beyond anything I'd ever imagine. They save lives there with the comprehensive programs offered to all. I made lifelong friends there that I cherish everyday of my life. I was given a second chance to get back to who I really want to be. It can work for anyone with the disease of addiction. You can't do it alone and there you don't have to ! I recommend this heavenly place to anyone and everyone suffering with addiction.

It is a wonderful facility if you can afford it; the price is very high. The staff is wonderful.

Best decision I ever made.

The staff was a strength of the facility.

I liked that the family was involved in the recovery process. Family members need treatment too.

Met the needs of the entire family not just the client (patient). Great facility.

My partner received the help to detox and recover from her addiction. She has been sober since the day she left...10 years ago.

The experience for our family was very good there the only complaint was it's very expensive and insurance paid for very little

saved my life.

Very good program, very good counselors. I did what they taught me and did not relapse. This facility saved my life I will never forget Fellowship Hall and friends I met and my counselors. If you need help and truly are serious about quitting Fellowship Hall is the right place. Listen and join in and get all you can get out of it and you will succeed.

Would recommend this place to others.

Good experience with family counseling.

This facility is fantastic and will work for anyone that truly wants to be healed. Family counseling for week - very important.

Fellowship Hall offers a Family Week that was highly recommended. We participated in this week and were very glad we did! It gave us an opportunity to learn more about alcoholism from a parent's perspective.

I learned alot

Super staff.

Set me up with a mentor in my profession once I left.

Excellent place!

This facility was very nice, rooms clean and staff was great. There is also a family program for the family members of addicts. I liked that some of the counselors are recovering addicts it provided me with hope that I could stay clean. The program taught me a lot about what the disease of addiction, how it affects your brain, and how an addicts brain is different(our thinking, thought process). The program is 12 step focused so some of the the groups were AA and NA based and talked about the steps.group, We also attended AA & NA speaker meetings in the area. I also participated in a grief group that helped me start the healing process of losing loved ones. I also learned about codependency and worked on that with my individual counselor along with my steps. I also did my 4th step with a person from NA. One of the best things is the mediation/ walking trails that you could walk spend time on during free time. I really learned about myself and my addiction while I was here. This was my first in patient facility and believe that it was where I truly realized that I was an addict and that there was hope for me.

Recommitted myself to my program and have been clean ever since.

Bluff Plantation
  • Highly successful, evidence-based treatment program
  • Multidisciplinary team of physicians, clinicians, psychiatrists and thearpists
  • Incorporates the Malibu Beach Recovery Diet which boosts dopamine levels