Gateway Recovery Center for Women in Fort Smith, AR

Family Counseling
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Motivational Enhancement Therapy

ABOUT GATEWAY RECOVERY CENTER

Set in a wooded neighborhood east of downtown Fort Smith, Ark., Gateway Recovery Center offers detoxification, residential, and outpatient treatment for women struggling with substance use and co-occurring mental health disorders. Specialized residential programming for pregnant women and women with young children is available. Gateway Recovery Center is part of Harbour House, Inc., which operates a separate treatment facility for men.

Assessment and planning for individualized treatment begins with a phone call and scheduled on-site meeting.

Evidence-based treatment at this facility integrates 12-step concepts and cognitive behavioral therapy. Additional therapeutic approaches include trauma-informed eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR) and alternative practices such as hypnotherapy. Treatment is also available to address pain management and PTSD.

Women in the residential treatment program participate in around six hours of interactive group counseling per day, and at least one hour of one-on-one therapy each week. They also participate most days in recovery support groups such as Alcoholics Anonymous, Narcotics Anonymous, or Celebrate Recovery. Physical activity and family counseling are also required components of this program.

Transitional housing services are available on the same site as residential rehab, and at that stage, clients are expected to work or attend school.

The 60- to 75-day Specialized Women’s Services Program at Gateway offers treatment and housing to women who are pregnant or have children under the age of seven. In addition to therapeutic services, clients receive child care, medical treatment, job skills training, and parenting classes.

In addition, the facility offers outpatient and intensive outpatient programs (IOP). The 10- to 12-week IOP meets for nine hours of individual and group therapy each week. A weekly family education and counseling group is available.

Job descriptions on the facility's website indicate that a minimum bachelor's degree is preferred for clinical staff. The one individual polled by Rehabs.com on the level of staff training and experience gave a rating of four out of five stars.

Women in the SWS program and their children live in a separate residence on the property. This house offers play areas and a small, fenced-in yard. The transitional living homes have single, double, and triple occupancy rooms with 24-hour supervision. Each home has a communal lounge and study areas, and televisions are allowed in bedrooms.

To date, Rehabs.com has received feedback from five alumni, with opinions split between two positive, two mixed, and one negative. One alum, Cheryl, provided ratings for 15 metrics measured. Although she rated the effectiveness of treatment received four stars and identified educational programming, the overall structure, and group outings as strengths, she nevertheless reported frequent client relapses.

Cheryl selected four- and five-star ratings for all aspects of accommodations, including meals, nutrition, opportunities for exercise and leisure activity, policies regarding phone and internet use, and the cleanliness and maintenance of the facility. Countering this were two critical reviewers who reported problems with accommodations. Alum T.R. noted that food was not fresh and clients did not keep up with assigned cleaning chores.

"I not once heard any staff member tell a client they was doing a good job," T.R. also wrote. She described a chaotic, unsupportive environment. On the other hand, another reviewer characterized staff as "good people."

Elsewhere on the internet, reviews were also mixed. Three individuals submitted reviews on CiteHealth, rating the facility one, three, and five stars out of five, respectively. One positive alum reported ongoing success in sobriety, complimenting the food and activities offered and writing that staff members were caring and "take one on one time with everyone!" In contrast, another reviewer described counselors as "awful," and the third wrote that the facility was a "waste of time and money."[1]

Most of 10 Google reviews of the facility were much more favorable, with an average rating of 4.3 out of five. Two alumni specifically praised counselors and alum H.D. agreed with one CiteHealth reviewer about the quality and variety of activities, from yoga to church attendance. Another alum, Jennifer, characterized the program as life-saving and reported success in sobriety, motherhood, and school.[2]

In one of two Rehabs.com reviews submitted by loved ones, the sibling of an alum described a noticeable transformation similar to that reported on Google by Jennifer. "My brother has been much more communicative, more involved with family, appears at peace and very happy with his life," they wrote, awarding the effectiveness of treatment five stars. The second loved one gave effectiveness three stars and accommodations four, offering no written commentary.

According to the facility’s website, Gateway Recovery Center accepts most insurance plans and staff members will assist clients in arranging for funding.

[1] http://citehealth.com/rehab-centers/arkansas/cities/ft-smith/gateway-house-inc#reviews
[2] https://goo.gl/iuK5FE

Published on July 2017

Strengths: good people work there. Weakness: restrooms are dirty. it is good

This is by far the worst rehab I have ever seen I learned very little! The staff was mostly rude! One worker there is by far the most sinical person I have ever known! She is mean an cruel to clients to the point where she embarresses an humiliates clients. She has no business being in a treatment center! We as women come in there very sick am vulnerable ladies. I not once heard any staff member tell a client they was doing a good Job. Instead I seemed to.see a lot of donts an do's an mostly getting yelled at for something so petty. Clients as they call the ladies there are sick and looking to get better an in my I opinion they should be constantly building us up! I been to rehab 5 years ago and not once did I see anything like this! Staff always welcomed you daily! You was lucky at gateway if a staff even looked at you or gave you a smile! So much negativity it was almost ridiculous. I have learned in my 43 years of life if you give respect you will get it back an honestly that is why so many clients have trouble staying in the program. Women of addiction already come in feeling unloved. I never cause one minute of problems but I will give an instance or a few that brought me to tears while being there. One morning I needed to cut something out of my shoe an politely ask a staff member for help an she looked up from her desk and yelled at me.... I have no scissors in my room!!! Ok what was that??? Then one morning being new to the place on a weekend with no schedule I ask the morning staff member if meds was right now.... She yelled at me also.... When I get done and get to it!!!! Umm really??? This bad behavior and so unprofessional. I could go on an on at the things I seen. I completed the program but everyday was such a struggle as I seen such behaviors by staff.. We never had fresh fruit mostly processed foods. Breakfast was always cereal's. No juice no eggs no bacon as the menu says. My hamburger I got one day had the plastic cooked on it. The one day we had salad to eat we was only allow so much of it and had a staff member watching to make sure we didn't take to much salad! The cleaning we did was ridiculous. First of all clients never cleaned well enough and even if you did nor would any staff member ever say good job! I was there to learn no to spend 1\4 of my week cleaning. The most worries a client should have coming into rehab is making their bed and attending classes. The whole atmosphere was chaos and gave clients even more stress then they had when they came into getway. My heart hurt for so many in there that just acceptance and love an compassion. I am an addict but I am human and I want to be treated like so just like anyone else. In my eyes you do not HUMILIATE AND EMBARRASS CLIENTS PERIOD! Sad to say I seen it from staff members so severelyiI seen a 63 year old women get so humiliated run to her room with tears streaming down her face. Yes that was helping her recovery. I hope I brought thing to your attention. God put us on this earth to love one another. God bless who reads this

It was a decent facility.

My mindset was only to keep my job by finishing 45program otherwise i would have loved to stay longer. structure is big, outings and meetings often. Education was good, but client return was a downfall.

My brother has been much more communicative, more involved with family, appears at peace and very happy with his life. The results were amazing and he had real transformation.

They helped me fill out papers for state support.

Sunspire Health Texas
  • Detox
  • Intensive Outpatient (IOP)
Sunspire Health Hilton Head
  • Detox
  • Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP)