Gateway Recovery Center for Women in Fort Smith, AR

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Motivational Enhancement Therapy

Rehabs.com Editorial Review

ABOUT GATEWAY RECOVERY CENTER

Set in a wooded area of Fort Smith, Ark., Gateway Recovery Center offers residential and outpatient treatment for women with substance use and co-occurring disorders. The center also offers a specialized residential program for pregnant women and women with young children. The facility, which is a part of Harbor House, Inc., provides detoxification services on-site. Harbour House, Inc., also operates a separate treatment facility for men.

According to the facility’s website, the treatment philosophy at Gateway Recovery Center engages mind, body, and spirit and includes individualized evidence-based treatments. Treatment at this facility integrates 12-step principles, cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR), as well as alternative practices such as hypnotherapy.

Women in the residential treatment program participate in at least six hours of interactive group counseling per day, and at least one hour of individual therapy per week. They also partake in least five hours per week of recovery support groups (e.g.12-step, Alcoholics Anonymous, Narcotics Anonymous, or SMART Recovery). A required amount of physical activity and family counseling is another component of this program. Clients can also access transitional, sober living at this facility. Residents are required to work or attend school.

The Specialized Women’s Services (SWS) Program at Gateway Recovery Center offers treatment to pregnant women and/or women with children six years old and younger. In addition to therapeutic services, clients receive child care, medical treatment, job skills training, and parenting classes.

In addition to residential and transitional housing services, the facility offers outpatient and intensive outpatient programs (IOP). The IOP program includes nine hours of individual and group therapy each week.

Specific details regarding staff credentials are not currently available via the facility’s website. However, the Gateway Recovery Center is nationally accredited.

Despite limited information about the accommodations for the facility’s residential treatment program, there are some details about the SWS and the transitional living houses.

Women in the SWS program and their children live in a separate residence on the property. This house offers play areas and a small, fenced-in yard. The transitional living homes have single, double, and triple occupancy rooms with 24-hour supervision. Each home has a social lounge, study areas, and televisions are allowed in bedrooms.

Overall, alumni polled by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing provided mixed reviews. One alum surveyed by Rehabs.com, Cheryl, was satisfied with her experiences at Gateway Recovery Center, giving the facility especially high ratings for counseling, activities, and meals. She loved the treatment structure and regular meetings but left the program early to keep a job.

Other reviews for this facility were not so positive. One representative review from T.R. gave overall negative ratings and wrote that staff humiliated clients and the food was poor. “The whole atmosphere was chaos and gave clients even more stress than they had when they came into Gateway,” T.R. wrote.

Elsewhere on the internet, reviews were also mixed. One anonymous reviewer praised the rehab on Citehealth.com, giving it five stars. “Gateway changed my life i now have 9 mo. clean… they are very caring and take one on one time with everyone!” [1] In contrast, a different anonymous alum called the facility a “waste of time and money.” On the facility’s Facebook page, which it manages and includes reviews for this facility and another operated by Harbor House, 22 reviewers collectively gave this facility a perfect five-star rating. It should be noted that this includes reviews for another facility operated by Harbor House as well. [3] This includes five-star ratings from two alumni.

In one of two Rehabs.com reviews from loved ones, the sibling of an alumn mentioned the noticeable transformation of their loved one. “My brother has been much more communicative, more involved with family, appears at peace and very happy with his life.” The other review from a loved one gave three out of five stars for treatment effectiveness and four out of five stars for accommodations and meals.

On Google, Harbor House –– the organization that operates this facility and a separate facility for men –– has an average of 4.3 out of five stars based on six reviews. Two of these were from spouses of alumni, who gave an overall four out of five star rating.[4]

According to the facility’s website, Gateway Recovery Center accepts most insurance plans.

Updated December 2016

1. http://citehealth.com/reviews/5069
  2. https://www.facebook.com/pg/Harbor-House-Inc-660172494049166/reviews/
  3. https://goo.gl/E4HZpw

Published on December 2016

Strengths: good people work there. Weakness: restrooms are dirty. it is good

This is by far the worst rehab I have ever seen I learned very little! The staff was mostly rude! One worker there is by far the most sinical person I have ever known! She is mean an cruel to clients to the point where she embarresses an humiliates clients. She has no business being in a treatment center! We as women come in there very sick am vulnerable ladies. I not once heard any staff member tell a client they was doing a good Job. Instead I seemed to.see a lot of donts an do's an mostly getting yelled at for something so petty. Clients as they call the ladies there are sick and looking to get better an in my I opinion they should be constantly building us up! I been to rehab 5 years ago and not once did I see anything like this! Staff always welcomed you daily! You was lucky at gateway if a staff even looked at you or gave you a smile! So much negativity it was almost ridiculous. I have learned in my 43 years of life if you give respect you will get it back an honestly that is why so many clients have trouble staying in the program. Women of addiction already come in feeling unloved. I never cause one minute of problems but I will give an instance or a few that brought me to tears while being there. One morning I needed to cut something out of my shoe an politely ask a staff member for help an she looked up from her desk and yelled at me.... I have no scissors in my room!!! Ok what was that??? Then one morning being new to the place on a weekend with no schedule I ask the morning staff member if meds was right now.... She yelled at me also.... When I get done and get to it!!!! Umm really??? This bad behavior and so unprofessional. I could go on an on at the things I seen. I completed the program but everyday was such a struggle as I seen such behaviors by staff.. We never had fresh fruit mostly processed foods. Breakfast was always cereal's. No juice no eggs no bacon as the menu says. My hamburger I got one day had the plastic cooked on it. The one day we had salad to eat we was only allow so much of it and had a staff member watching to make sure we didn't take to much salad! The cleaning we did was ridiculous. First of all clients never cleaned well enough and even if you did nor would any staff member ever say good job! I was there to learn no to spend 1\4 of my week cleaning. The most worries a client should have coming into rehab is making their bed and attending classes. The whole atmosphere was chaos and gave clients even more stress then they had when they came into getway. My heart hurt for so many in there that just acceptance and love an compassion. I am an addict but I am human and I want to be treated like so just like anyone else. In my eyes you do not HUMILIATE AND EMBARRASS CLIENTS PERIOD! Sad to say I seen it from staff members so severelyiI seen a 63 year old women get so humiliated run to her room with tears streaming down her face. Yes that was helping her recovery. I hope I brought thing to your attention. God put us on this earth to love one another. God bless who reads this

It was a decent facility.

My mindset was only to keep my job by finishing 45program otherwise i would have loved to stay longer. structure is big, outings and meetings often. Education was good, but client return was a downfall.

My brother has been much more communicative, more involved with family, appears at peace and very happy with his life. The results were amazing and he had real transformation.

They helped me fill out papers for state support.

Greenhouse
  • Seeking Safety (and other trauma-focused therapies)
  • Eye Movement Desensitization & Reprocessing (EMDR)
  • Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy (REBT)
Sunspire Health Texas
  • Detox
  • Intensive Outpatient (IOP)