Gosnold on Cape Cod in Falmouth, MA

(4 of 5)
200 Terrace Heun Drive
Falmouth MA 02540

Gosnold on Cape Cod Philosophy

For over 40 years, Gosnold has been serving individuals and families affected by addiction. We understand addiction as a chronic disease that requires lifelong care and management. Our full continuum of inpatient and outpatient programs enables us to treat individuals at all stages of the illness and our Reaching Out family program brings hope and support to families. A dedicated and caring staff using evidence based practices can help patients and family members develop and understand the changes that can lead to life long remission. Gosnold supports you for the life of your recovery.

• Recovery Coaching
    Gosnold’s Recovery Coaching service provides additional support to the individual and their family. Recovery Coaching is not a professional clinical service and does not replace a treatment arrangement established by the individual with an experienced addiction counselor or program.

• Individual Coaching
    Recovery Coaching is a personalized service between an individual in early recovery and an experienced professional knowledgeable about addiction and familiar with recovery resources.

Alternative Therapy (Yoga, Meditation, Equine Facilitated Learning)

12-step program

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy

Michael R. Barnett MD

Medical Director

Raymond V. Tamasi

President/Chief Executive Officer

ABOUT GOSNOLD ON CAPE COD

Located in the seaside town of Falmouth, Mass., Gosnold on Cape Cod offers a full continuum of treatment services for adults struggling with substance abuse. Both inpatient and outpatient treatment is provided, and gender-specific and specialized tracks for pregnant and postpartum women are available. Medically monitored detoxification is also provided on-site.

While treatment duration varies, inpatient clients typically remain on-site for three to five weeks, and those in specialized tracks stay for up to 10 weeks. All clients are introduced to the 12-Steps and can expect to have individual and group therapy. Education is also a key program component, as is holistic health and wellness. Clients receive guidance on physical fitness and nutrition, and are encouraged to participate in yoga and meditation.

Whenever possible, clients’ family members play an active role in their loved one’s recovery. There are weekly education sessions, as well as family counseling and continuing care options.

Gosnold on Cape Cod’s staff is governed by a board of directors and comprised of physicians, psychiatrists, psychologists, social workers, and certified addiction counselors.

Those enrolled in inpatient treatment reside at Gosnold at Cataumet, a 40-bed treatment facility. Few details regarding its living quarters are available, but alumni, friends, and family members who were polled by Rehabs.com provided four-star average ratings for Gosnold on Cape Cod’s accommodations, amenities, and meals.

Alumni polled by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing submitted mostly positive feedback of Gosnold on Cape Cod. When asked how likely they were to recommend the facility to others, 13 alumni provided Rehabs.com with an average rating of 4.54, based on a scale of one to five. A.B. wrote: “I have been to multiple inpatient rehabs in my state of Massachusetts and Gosnold is one of the best facilities in the state.”

Other high ratings went to the staff’s level of experience, which received 4.29 stars, and family participation, which received 3.67 stars (based on feedback from 14 and 15 alumni, respectively). Earl characterized the staff as “professional,” and an anonymous alum wrote: “They were compassionate and have knowledge of what your going through.”

Lower ratings went to holistic offerings, which received an average rating of 2.38 stars. Kristin characterized the program as “straightforward,” and Tracy described the counseling as “no frills.”

The vast majority of friends and family recommended treatment at Gosnold on Cape Cod. The 12 loved ones polled by Rehabs.com were most impressed with staff’s level of experience and facility’s counseling options, which received ratings of 3.92 and 3.83, respectively. In her review, Kathleen wrote: “Gosnold set an excellent foundation for ongoing recovery success. Very dedicated and compassionate.”

Like alumni, loved ones provided lower ratings to the holistic offerings. Similarly, feedback for family participation was more mixed. On the one hand, Kerry wrote: “I feel that the facility lacked in support provided to family members,” but L.A.J., a spouse of a client, cited attending “helpful” family support groups. On average, this category received 3.73 stars based on 11 responses.

C.M.G., the sole staff member polled by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing, noted that the facility’s “programs have been well run for many years and have a good success ratio.” Yet the reviewer added: “The downfall is that management is not truly in touch with the people who are front line caregivers.”

Although the rehab does not list its prices online, Gosnold on Cape Cod accepts most health insurances and managed plans.

Updated June 2016

Published on June 2016

I can't save enough about recovering champions. It was a tough but wnderful. The holistic approach teaches about life.

If you are really serious about getting sober, this isn't the place for you. Most people were involuntary placed there by either the courts or family members.

I went to the Emerson house in 2012 and have been clean and sober ever since. When I went there I was absolutely broken and ready to finally take the suggestions To go into post detox treatment. The staff was great, my counselor wasn't always easy on me, which is exactly what I needed. I owe my life to this facility, because today I am full of life. I am a lot of things, and broken isn't one of them!

I was a client at Emerson House with my son 2013 were there for 6mths.It was the best thing I've ever done For myself and him. The tools that they give you to live life sober is great. The staff is the best, they will help you in any way they can. The Counselers are the best. They truly do care about you. I thank God everyday for the Emerson house. I'm another success from Emerson

I had s wondetful experience at Gosnold and was given the tools and motivation to comtinue on my path to recovery.

Other than the majority of people being "treated there",I voluntarily checked myself in. The others were mostly court appointed and it seemed like a reunion for them. They all knew each other because they constantly had to come back for treatment. (So, if it's working why are going back over and over?) Gosnold had counselors who - if you had money - were used to push their other extremely expensive facility and told me I needed a lot more treatment (They obviously had checked out my financial background). The poorer - or ones with little insurance were just pushed through the facility rather quickly. The meetings were all about AA and if you didn't agree with the program they made sure to get you to say, "It's a disease." Basically under lockdown and treated like worthless criminals. The nurses were HORRIBLE. One of the worst experiences. After two weeks I developed bronchitis and was terribly sick. There was a program that evening but I really needed to go to bed. The nurse told me it was my "disease" talking and to go the program...The next day I told them I had to go the the doctor and they said they were very disappointed in me. So... off to doctor who verified I had bronchitis and I slept for two weeks. Run from that place! I felt more worthless and worse after going than before I went in.

This place I cannot say anything bad as it does so good for people that need treatment so how can one trash it, But...When a person wakes up at 530 am works outside til 5 pm in 90 plus temp and then has to drive 6 hours to get someone in treatment and basically i'm in junk mode tired and sleepy and wait an hour to get them in which is ok.. But to have someone on the staff call the Police and have them waiting for you to start your engine to make a 4 hour ride home at midnight and telling them they smelt booze on me and me to blow a 0.00000.0000 Nothing at all is quite rude and never thought that would happen there. If by any means they thought I was under or couldn't drive how about asking me if I needed any help. Maybe let me crash in the waiting room for a couple of hours?Don't have 3 cruisers block me in and take all kinds of test trying to get me arrested on a Friday night as I also was trying to help save a life!! So I guess what I'm saying is most of them seem to be nice but beware of back stabbing persons or person because that was not right nor fair to put me through. I will never return or drive someone there again. The cops where very nice as they said they had a job to do and let me leave after passing all of there tests. But don't they need a valid reason to pull you out of your car? This is whats causing all of these problems today because all I did was give a sick person a ride and my life was interrupted for no good reason? What right did that person have to call the Police on me. How do I know this is what happened...Because the officer told me they got a call from someone there and I was on Private property so why else would they show up. Sorry for the rant but is you were in my shoes I'd bet you would feel the same way. Thank you. Now lets see if this makes the review board and if not I wouldn't be surprised one bit but I will make a follow up phone call so the right person gets it and knows what there staff did to me. As far as being there to help people out its Top Notch from what I understand but get in there first without getting busted.

Excellent family inclusion; quality facilities; great aftercare planning process; accepts insurances and works to make their prices affordable. More structure and accountability for addicts attending the offerings would improve treatment, like the private 12-step facilities. 20 year old step son did 30 days at Gosnold for heroin addiction rehab, stayed in contact for alumni events and moved to a recommended sober house after attending. Also did a detox in their detox program 8 months later, attended Plymouth House in NH the following year and has been sober 9 months since. Gosnold set an excellent foundation for ongoing recovery success. Very dedicated and compassionate.

Longevity, experience, empathy, counseling, and health awareness. Limited by insurance regulations and state rules, politics. Me sister has been there.

Professional staff. They got me in quickly.

Great food, great staff. I was at gosnold for 5 days at the detox and 3 months at the millerhouse witch is part of gosnold.

I have been to multiple inpatient rehabs in my state of Massachusetts and Gosnold is one of the best facilities in the state. I went first to the Gosnold detox and then to the Emerson House and was in treatment for about 4 months today. After graduating from the Emerson House, I moved into a local sober house that had interviewed me while at the Emerson House. I have now been clean for several years. I would urge anyone looking for treatment in Massachusetts to consider Gosnold. From my opinion, Gosnold is the best treatment facility in the state and would urge family and friends to go there if they needed help.

Staff is not well trained. They had clean good programs.

They were compassionate and have knowledge of what your going through.

The one on one counseling. The food was good for people with food allergies. They want to be involved with the after care and treatment. They want to encourage after care.

The location was nice, but there was a lack of outside resources.

Had a decent experience there.

Lack of proper supervision over uncontrolled substances being brought in and over the patients actions.

I told a nurse about an issue with pills because I was approached she said she knew this but no time to watch the other patients. I told her to higher someone no funding. So in other words don't send your kid there...

I worked at Gosnold in 2006. The CEO had such a passion for helping the client's. Most CEO's don't really care about helping people, Its usually about the money. The staff is awesome food is great and after some clean time they will employ you as a recovery aid. unfortunately Insurance call the shots on treatment but the utilization team is very good at getting the ins. company to get more time. Although i have been a A/D counselor for 18 years I learned how to be a clinician from working at Gosnold. The rest of my carreer has been working in the prison system

They have experienced staff. Sober 9 years now all because of the support I received from my after care therapist. However, there is not enough aftercare support.

It's far away from anything so it's like a retreat, getting away and getting better and staff was really nice. Need to keep people longer. 7 days on suboxone and then you're out. The place was clean and we'll organized. We had classes and certain times to eat or go outside. I think every addict needs structure after their lives have been a mess for so long. But also they need more than 7 days for the detox...

Strong alumni group which offers support to former patients...Gosnold is probably the best detox an rehab facility in Mass. Always available to speak to ...The people working at Gosnold truly care about their patients..it's not just a pay check to them. However a downfall was the cost.....Our insurance wouldn't pay for 28 day inpatient program. But we wanted our son to have a chance to live so we paid out of pocket $15,400 ....Money well spent-- he is 1 year clean.

It was an overall good facility.

Strengths include: relapse plan, family involvement on Sundays, individual counseling, meetings, meetings, meetings. However, the food could have been better and there could have been a little more alone time. It's better to arrrive when you've been drinking. Don't bring any items in bottles, no phone, no watches.

All of the counselors were in recovery. It was a good facility with wonderful groups and support. However, I needed more time there.

Well trained staff with programs for various co-afflictions like HIV, co-dependency, dual diagnosis, anger management. Very well run. There is no public assistance accepted and it's expensive if one has to pay out of pocket. My relative received expert care and learned a lot about alcoholism and addiction. She received support, therapy and encouragement and was introduced to Alcoholics Anonymous. No guarantees, but it looks like she is on the road to recovery.

The location was great. The staff was inexperienced.

The structure was great. However, the mental health treatment could have used improvement. They offer classes in addiction.

It is a wonderful place to recover in a beautiful location. The basic counseling and no frills approach was great. However, there are privacy issues and crowding.

The staff was one hundred percent dedicated to helping each of us in the way the best suited our cases. I am honored to have been a part of this place and so very grateful for Gosnold.

Sticking to the rules of the facility was a positive aspect; however, it did not work for him.

The facility is run extremely well and the staff were tough but fair. I was given every chance to enhance my recovery. It was a no frills approach. The size was a downfall.

Straightforward program. Detox to rehab, food and the staff were great and helpful. However, there is no caffeine.

Experienced and compassionate staff. It was based on money; we need more affordable treatment centers.

I believe this is a top notch program. Everybody in there was extremely happy with the services, including myself. They offered to set me up with aftercare upon my discharge as well. The detox was wonderful. Upscale services, work out facilities, busy agenda, great medical and clinical staff.

I thought it was an overall good facility

Gosnald on Cape Cod saved my life....I was skeptical at first but after up to prenent time I feel it was the best decision I've ever made

Strengths include: Reputation,community awareness,very large outreach program and treatment aftercare centers.The downfall is that management is not truly in touch with the people who are front line caregivers. Half way houses and short term 28 day programs have been well run for many years and have a good success ratio. Private for profit but serve many indigent clients.

Do not go here if you are looking to detox. Aftercare treatment may by adequate, but if you are looking to detox DO NOT GO HERE.

Only detox facility I've been to, and so far has worked for me. Taught me a lot about myself and helped me identify with others going through the same thing. The staff really gave a damn — they made the detoxification process as comfortable as humanly possible. Can't thank this place enough.

Was given a lot of respect at Gosnold.

The one on one counseling was the best.

attend family support groups. They were helpful.

Not the best, not the worst.

okay

It would be difficult to improve upon. Transitional coaching played a huge part.

I feel that the facility lacked in support provided to family members. There should be an active mtg offered right at the facility, it would only benefit the individual with their recovery. I know many people who's loved one's have been through this same facility & had to find Alanon on their own. I think there are probably better facilities around that don't cost as much and do a better job. I don't think he recieved enough information to understand that he may have had a drug addiction but his underlying problem was alcohol.

physical appearance has changed

Best food kitchen on the east Coast

Photo of Clinical Services of Rhode Island, Portsmouth