Gosnold on Cape Cod - The Emerson House in Falmouth, MA

Individual Counseling
Educational Sessions

Rehabs.com Editorial Review

ABOUT THE EMERSON HOUSE

Located in a beautiful Victorian mansion just off the harbor in the historic town of West Falmouth, Mass., The Emerson House offers supportive, residential treatment for pregnant or postpartum women as well as women struggling with substance abuse disorders. Co-occurring disorders such as anxiety and depression are also treated. The home is an extension of Gosnold, Inc., a Massachusetts-based drug and alcohol rehabilitation center that has treated addiction for more than 40 years.

Treatment at The Emerson House blends individual and group counseling, art therapy, equine-facilitated learning, fitness and meditation, special issues groups, and other workshops aimed at re-integrating women into their families, social environments, and workplaces. According to the facility’s website, treatment emphasizes the creation of a “healthy beginning” and includes prenatal, delivery, and well-baby medical care, as well as access to early intervention, education, and parenting support. As a whole, Gosnold offers fully encompassing treatment with aftercare options like outpatient programs and sober living facilities.

Length of stay varies depending on each client’s circumstances, but most women stay six to 10 weeks, with pregnant and postpartum women staying six months to one year. There is no Internet access and cell phones are prohibited, though residents have access to a pay phone at certain times of the day for outgoing calls only. The facility suggests clients bring enough toiletries, cigarettes, and clothes to last the duration of their stay.

The Emerson House staff includes physicians, psychiatrists, psychologists, and addiction/mental health counselors. In a video on the facility’s website, the chief medical director says that his goal is to bring to Cape Cod the best mental health workers Boston has to offer.

Pregnant women and women with babies stay in a separate building adjacent to the Victorian mansion that houses the central program.

Feedback from former residents of The Emerson House is mostly positive, though one of the four reviewers surveyed by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing was not happy with her experience. “My parents regret spending the thousands they did just to have them basically lock me up everyday. My mum called to complain about a visit she was denied and the woman wouldn’t call her back,” wrote E, who revealed she was transferred from another Gosnold location where she had been pleased with her care.

Positive reviews reveal that treatment at this facility is most effective if the client is willing to put in the effort to recover. After being in and out of psychotherapy, alum A.E.O.C. felt she learned a great deal about substance abuse disorders during her stay. She gave an overall five-star rating and reported: “I would recommend this house to any woman motivated to stay sober and do the work related to that.”

Women who have stayed at The Emerson House praise the facility and staff. Kate, who was thankful for her counselors’ “loving care” told Rehabs.com: “I went to the Emerson House 15 years ago and highly recommend it to anyone willing to want to recover. They gave me the tools and foundation I needed to stay clean and sober.”

The Emerson House accepts most major insurance providers, and offers a feature on their website where you can ask a staff member to verify your insurance. Clients are encouraged to contact Gosnold Inc. regarding financial assistance and further questions. One Rehabs.com survey response from a former resident reveals she was offered financial support by the facility.

Updated December 2016

Published on January 2017

Worst place ever! Gosnold on Catumet did wonders for me, then they sent me to this place which just broke me down. My parents regret spending the thousands they did just to have them basically lock me up everyday. My mum called to complain about a visit she was denied and the woman wouldn't call her back. If you care about your child's recovery I suggest Gosnold on Catumet, not this place where the employees treat your kids like crud!

Emerson House holds a very special place in my heart. It's a fabulous women's program that just so happened to save my life back in 1997/98. I love Emerson House and the phenomenal staff. I thank you for living me when I was unable to love myself 💜

I went to the Emerson House 15 years ago and highly reccomend it to anyone willing to want to recover. They gave me the tools and foundation I needed to stay clean and sober. Thanks to one staff member in particular for her loving care along with my counselor!I was the one who did the landscaping that Summer and felt needed and important (part of my self esteem) Thank you all! I highly reccomend this home to anyone serious in getting clean!

Emerson House was wonderful and I loved everything about it but I however was not ready to receive the information they were giving me and that was the cause of my relapse. They did everything they could for me including persisting that i move on to a lower level of treatment and I was the one that denied them. I would recommend this house to any woman willing and motivated to stay sober and do the work related to that.

Recovering Champions