Harbor Oaks Hospital in New Balitmore, MI

35031 23 Mile Road
New Balitmore MI 48047

Harbor Oaks Hospital Philosophy

The substance abuse and mental health treatment philosophy at Harbor Oaks Hospital is rooted in current best practices and evidence based research. Chemical dependency and mental health disorders are treatable diseases. These disorders can be acute or chronic, progressive, and potentially fatal. These disorders often co-occur. Chemical dependency and mental illness frequently go hand in hand and have a direct physical, emotional, spiritual and social impact on individuals and their families. When these disorders occur in combination with other behavioral and/or medical health difficulties, their impact is heightened.

• Intensive Outpatient (IOP)
    Patients who undergo intensive outpatient treatment continue to live at home and sometimes go to school or work while participating in a highly structured treatment protocol that is focused on ending substance abuse. Programs vary in terms of how much treatment patients receive, how often and for how long. Some facilities design individualized intensive outpatient treatment programs.

• Client & Family Support Groups
    Group therapy is a vital component of addiction recovery treatment, considered as important and effective (sometimes even more so) than individual therapy. Benefits include reducing isolation and loneliness and providing the opportunity to learn from others in recovery. In the addiction setting, group therapy is run by trained professionals who guide participants toward a shared goal of recovery.

A premiere provider of behavioral healthcare and substance abuse treatment

Accredited by The Joint Commission and licensed by the state of Michigan

Highly-skilled and compassionate staff

Rehabs.com Editorial Review

ABOUT HARBOR OAKS HOSPITAL

Harbor Oaks Hospital in New Baltimore, Mich., offers rehab services for individuals of all ages who are seeking treatment for substance abuse or behavioral disorders. Both residential and outpatient treatment is available, as well as treatment for co-occurring disorders. Adults who require medical attention before beginning their treatment may access medically-monitored detoxification services.

Treatment at Harbor Oaks focuses on individual and group therapy. Discussion topics in group therapy cover substance abuse education, Narcotics Anonymous, Alcoholics Anonymous, and education on how to manage mental illness and addiction.

Therapy at Harbor Oaks utilizes several treatment techniques including dialectical behavioral therapy (DBT), cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), and the 12-step model for care and recovery. Individuals struggling with mental health disorders in addition to substance abuse may be eligible for medication management services and recreational activities.

Harbor Oaks also ensures that clients receive continuing care even after they have completed residential treatment. Less intensive treatment options and partial hospitalization (PHP) for children, adolescents, adults, and seniors who are ready to transition back into normal life are available.

According to Harbor Oaks’ website, the 30-bed facility is led by a small treatment team which includes an on-site nurse and a licensed professional counselor.

A virtual tour of the facility on the facility’s website shows residences that are furnished and decorated sparingly. Guests share bedrooms and sleep in twin beds. There is a small community room, recreation room, and fitness center.

The average rating of the ten reviews for accommodations and amenities was 2.6 out of five stars. Reviews from loved ones indicated the facility would benefit from updates and the environment could be more welcoming. Two of the eight alumni who provided reviews at the time of this writing noted a lack of amenities and activities. “There is little to do but pace the halls and watch tv,” Hannah wrote.

Alumni reviews for Harbor Oaks Hospital are mixed. The two alumni polled by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing gave overall positive reviews for this facility. These two alumni gave four and five out of five star ratings for counseling options and one gave the highest possible rating (five out of five stars) for holistic offerings and family participation. J.C. gave the facility five out of five stars for treatment effectiveness and wrote: “They gave me support, treated patients with respect, and gave me plenty of tools to use on the outside.”

Four of the eight alumni reviews written at the time of this writing were negative overall. Two alumni who posted reviews to Rehabs.com gave the facility one out of five stars for treatment effectiveness. Two alumni wrote they felt their condition worsened after their experience at Harbor Oaks Hospital. “I highly recommend against stepping foot in this place,” Lily wrote.

Of the eight alumni who provided reviews of this facility, six complained the staff were inattentive and rude. “They treat the patients with zero compassion and complete lack of empathy,” Kelly wrote in a representative review.

Similar to alumni reviews, the four reviews of this facility written by family and friends of alumni were also mixed. Two anonymous loved ones gave Harbor Oaks Hospital positive reviews, including ratings of four out of five star ratings for treatment effectiveness, and wrote that the staff was helpful. The lowest rating by the one loved one polled by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing was three stars for holistic and counseling options.

In contrast to these positive reviews, two family members had overall negative experiences with this facility. One anonymous reviewer rated Harbor Oaks Hospital one out of five stars, the lowest possible rating, for treatment effectiveness, accommodations, and meals. Another reviewer wrote only negative comments about the staff and treatment effectiveness in a representative review. “Horrible, horrible hospital. My son was in twice--no improvement,” LAB wrote, and added, “Will never, ever, send my son back.”

Harbor Oaks’ does not provide its pricing information, but it does state that, in addition to private pay, it accepts many major insurance plans including Tricare, Blue Cross Blue Shield, Medicare, and Medicaid.

Updated December 2016

Published on December 2016

The only help I got from this horrible place was from fellow patients. The nurses did nothing to help me what so ever. I found myself scared to feel because they took everything as a diagnosis. I still have nightmares two months after that experience. If anything, that place made me worse. The only three employees in the facility that were understanding and helpful were two social workers and a maintenance man. All three we only saw very little.

I'm a 48yr old female tht found myself in a scary place, Harbor Oaks. This facility is by far the worst place one could go to seek any type of help w chemical dependency and/or mental health intervention. The stsff is absolutely miserable, all of them from the nurses to the techs who for the most part are nasty, condensing and just rude. For some reason they treat the patients w zero compassion and complete lack of empathy. It's incredible to me that these ppl r hired w out any experience wrking w those in need. I see what is written on line regarding this facility and i have yet to read one word that is correct outside of the name of the bldg. I find it impossible to call this place a hospital. My reason for being here was state ordered after i found out i had to b tested for cancer while already being a spinal cord patient and became completely overwhelmed, i had a break w reality. This is the worst place i could have been placed for support and intervention. All of the negative reviews by staff and patients are unfortunately correct. The staff laughed at me, in my face while being admitted at 3am, not one kind word or gesture from anyone. Oh yes, there was one guy (a tech who was just hired) who hadn't turn cruel, yet. The nurse that chk'd me in was one of the nastiest ppl I've EVER met, she'll gt hers though!!! Ok, for the most prt, there are 3 bull meetings per day. I was there for 6days w zero social worker intervention. They claim u will receive one on one w a social worker, very untrue. Im a vet w a 10yr honorable discharge from the Army, i'm also disabled. I had to enlist the help from the Disabled Vet Assoc as well as Medicare. W in 10mins of calling the Vet's i had a social worker visit and immediately let go. ...I repeatedly asked who my social worker was (as u can't b released w out tht interview) and was told time after time, day after by the stsff as well as the terrible doc that i was assigned to one person and tht person wud deny it. This went on for 6 days. Now the doctor... He's a completely other discussion as he himself had a hugh disconnect w his patients. W all of his training u'd think he'd have some place in his heart for those he worked w. Yes, he has a GOD complex and truly doesn't deserve it in the slightest bit. Although no one does but especially him...Plz do not send or let yourself or anyone you love b admitted into this facility. It will never change w out state intervention and patients taking their rights to our government agencies to do somethng about this horrible institution. I have nothing to gain by advising u as to what i see as an injustices to all of us who find ourselves in need of support. There isn't any support in this facility. Your days drag, endlessly. You do nothing at all. If your lucky there may b up to 3 (@ max) meetings, u may gt to color a pic or play w beads as tho your in 1st grade and you get to eat 3x's a day. Thank you for reading my story!!! May God bless you and watch over you in all you do.

Horrible, horrible hospital. My son was in twice--no improvement, plus the staff was completely inattentive and there was an incident that I can't discuss. Will never, ever, send my son back.

I highly recommend against stepping foot in this place , the First doctor that assessed me made ridiculously rude comments at me, and as I was sitting there, told me "it's time for you to leave my office" in the middle of the evaluation . Horrific staff there.

I have been to harbor oaks mental hospital and it was horrible I was never the same when I came out I went in and I loved my family I came out and I just looked at them and I just hated them I still hate them they don't look at me the same they look at me like I'm a lost person that can find her way back.I went in the hospital and the staff treats you like a lab rat and your not aloud to have any friends or talk to boys I wouldn't send anybody there if I were u unless u want them to hate u and by the way don't say at least they would be safe because they wont

the staff was rude the doctor refused to talk to me.

I was admitted to this hospital against my will under suicide watch. Ironically, during my stay here i have never felt more anxious and suicidal in my life. The staff is unattentive and lazy. There is little to do but pace the halls and watch tv. People come here for real help but end up being caged in and denied actual assistance. The most "therapy" you will recieve is an awful group session with other patients, and a daily 2 minute conversation with a psychiatrist who decides whether you stay or go. When i got home, i cried for days over my experience and was anxious for weeks- my suicidal thoughts recurred immediately. This place will not help you.

It was really good. they provided food and good accomadations the staff was kinda not good

They had a variety of programs. Staff didn't seem very concerned with accomplishing anything. There needs to be more structure.

They were nice and all bla bla but aside from them I don't know about everyone else but I think think a kid being sent away expesualy to a freaking mental hospital will make any change it just showed me that I'm crazy and that my parents thought the same.

The facility was very accountable. I believe the environment could be more welcoming. This was a scary time in the lives of my family members and the staff was very gracious and understood our concerns and did everything they could to help our family.

The staff was well trained and informed and knew how to handle every situation. The lack of funds towards a better facility was a weakness. They were very assistive through the entire process and I will recommend them again in the future.

My brother was admitted to this facility under suicide watch. He wanted to jump off of a bridge and end his life. After only 2 days of treatment and asessment he was deemed okay and referred to the substance abuse program. They discharged him with a promise of being readmitted 1 and 1/2 half days for a fee of $250.00. He kept his promise and when he got there the fee turned into $750.00 cash and thats with insurance. Im sickened and would not recommend Harbor Oaks to anyone for mental or substance abuse treatment.

Harbour Oaks was an extremely important factor in my being sober today. They gave me support, treated patients with respect, and gave me plenty of tools to use on the outside. They are truly a blessing! It was very beneficial. Sober almost 10 months now

Best Drug Rehabilitation
  • Exercise Therapy
  • Anger Management
  • Financial Planning Classes
Behavioral Rehabilitation Services
  • All inclusive, executive, luxury rehab facility.
  • Vitamins, Minerals and Amino Therapy