Harmony Foundation in Estes Park, CO

Colorado’s Longest Running Treatment Center
Family Program

Rehabs.com Editorial Review

ABOUT HARMONY FOUNDATION

On a picturesque 43-acre campus in the Rocky Mountains, nonprofit Harmony Foundation offers medical detox and residential treatment for adults ages 18 and older who are struggling with substance abuse.

According to the facility’s website, the Harmony Foundation follows the 12-Steps and the disease concept of addiction. All programs are gender-separate. Treatment begins with a 20-minute phone assessment followed by a physical examination.

Programs include individual and group therapy, peer evaluations, and recovery education groups. Family treatment is an important part of the work done at Harmony Foundation — the facility offers a family weekend for up to two loved ones at the end of each client’s stay and monthly family day workshops for anyone who would like to attend. Family programming includes education, skills development (including communication skills), developing personal recovery plans, individual counseling as requested, group feedback sessions, and an introduction to 12-step programs.

A 14-day “ReCommitment to Recovery” program is offered to those who have relapsed within one year of discharge from a primary treatment program, including but not restricted to Harmony Foundation’s. And a dedicated program for young adults ages 18 to 23 includes plenty of experiential therapies as well as a focus on life skills, sexuality, and impulse control.

All graduating clients have lifetime access to weekly aftercare meetings.

According to its website, Harmony Foundation offers a 24-hour nursing staff and a medical director who’s a member of the American Society of Addiction Medicine. The four individuals polled by Rehabs.com on the staff’s level of training and experience at the time of this writing gave it an average rating of 4.5 out of five stars.

All clients are given the opportunity to exercise twice a day, and auricular acupuncture is offered three times a week, according to the center’s website. Some course descriptions also mention Zumba, yoga, meditation, and Tai Chi. The 19 individuals who submitted reviews into Rehabs.com at the time of this writing gave the center an average 4.8 out of five stars for the facility's accommodations and amenities.

Alumni gave mostly positive feedback. Of the 14 reviews submitted to Rehabs.com at the time of this writing, 11 were positive, sometimes with some caveats.

One reviewer credited the facility with saving his life, and others expressed gratitude for the long-term sobriety they achieved. Recurring praise was awarded to the physical facility, which several alumni referred to in spiritual terms. “Nested in the natural beauty of the Rocky Mtns. Saw Elk grazing most every day,” one alum, Paul, wrote. “Spiritual place if you love the outdoors.”

Isolated praise called out the detox, the program’s affordability, and the staff: “I was blessed with excellent staff, both councilors and medical. There was great peer support,” William wrote.

But some reviewers disagreed. “It was a little over priced,” P.J.S. wrote. “But a good stepping stone.” Other isolated criticisms cited a lack of leisure time, a feeling that clients were treated like children, and a sense that treatment would not be helpful to those who have already worked the 12-Steps.

All five loved ones who were surveyed by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing provided mostly positive reviews. Like alumni, loved ones repeatedly praised the physical facility. “Beautiful facility with comfortable accommodations, and a variety of daily activities,” one anonymous loved one wrote.

In addition, M.O.D. described the staff as “sincere and respectful and caring,” and two reviewers thanked Harmony Foundation for their loved one’s sustained sobriety after treatment.

Loved ones offered no recurring criticisms, but isolated comments cited high costs and a desire for more family counseling.

According to the center’s website, Harmony Foundation accepts private payment and private insurance, including Aetna, Cigna, and Value Options. The five individuals polled on the facility’s affordability gave it 4.2 out of five stars on average.

Updated April 2017

Published on June 2017

Beautiful facility with comfortable accommodations, and a variety of daily activities. Healthy meals are provided, and a good atmosphere to get your life in order. Would have preferred a stinger push for family counseling, but each patient and their family history is different. They focus on the root issue and why the dependency developed in the first place. How to create a healthy lifestyle, and what your new lifestyle needs to look like to avoid the substances that got you here in the first place.

Atmosphere and overall care program were good. A little bit dated. I think the most important thing is to visit ahead of time, talk with staff about the program and options, etc. Know everything possible ahead of time and don't assume every rehab is the same.

30 Years ago today I checked into Harmony not knowing what was ahead of me. I was lost and broken. Thank you Harmony for helping me find a new way of thinking and living and encouraging me to develop my own path to Sobriety. Your treatment center saved my life!!! "Living Well Is The Best Revenge"

My mom was sober for the rest of her life. Thank you Harmony for helping my mother.

This facility was amazing. Set in the valley of the rocky mountains, you can't get any closer to nature. It forces you to focus on yourself and your recovery. The counseling and detox were great!

A friend of mine is now 2 years sober and it helped her a lot. It was in a great location in the mountains; it was serene. However, it was costly.

This place is BEAUTIFUL!!! Awesome. spiritual, place. They offer a program for family, where they come for like 4 days and we go to classes and meetings together. Their techniques helped me to realize what the root of my problem was. Their art and spiritual groups(these came from people outside of the employees of the facility) were ok, but the staff SUCKED!

My son attended Harmony last year at this time. He has now been sober for one year. I thank Harmony for giving me back my son. I attended the therapy sessions with him and was so impressed with their operations, staff and therapists. From the first phone call of inquiry to taking him home, both the staff and the patients were so sincere and respectful and caring.

I have been clean going on 22 months and my counselor pretty much told me I wasn't taking the program seriously. I ended up getting kicked out with only two days left in the program. On his recommendation. It was the worst experience of my life, but I got the last laugh.

I really enjoyed this facility and it was affordable.

Could have been better.

I was blessed with excellent staff, both councilors and medical. There was great peer support. I received over a 3rd of the mail while there giving me support from friends all over the country. Had over 27 people at my graduation, supporting me. Harmony helped me make giving up the addiction to alcohol, one of the easiest things I have ever done.

It was a little over priced, but a good stepping stone.

I loved the setting and facility on a physical basis. It was beautiful and clean. I just did not like how the patients were treated like children we were children. There was no leisure time at all.

Nested in the natural beauty of the Rocky Mtns. Saw Elk grazing most every day. Spiritual place if you love the outdoors. Top notch if you've never been through the 12 Steps, or need the fellowship of AA to get sober. If you've already climbed the steps once or more, this place probably won't help much.

It was a place where we were not treated as prisoners. We had cabins that we shared with one other person, excellent councilors and wonderful food. We had a different AA group come in each week, and chair one AA meeting.

They helped medically with the detox, I couldn't do it myself.

I went to Hazelden 28 years ago and my experience at Harmony was just as beneficial.

I just personally liked this rehab. There are many good rehabs out there, and really your only going to get out of it what your willing to put into it. You have to want it.

The Raleigh House of Hope