Henry Ford Health System - Maplegrove Center in West Bloomfield, MI

Individual Counseling
Urge-Management Programs

Rehabs.com Editorial Review

ABOUT HENRY FORD HEALTH SYSTEM - MAPLEGROVE CENTER

The Maplegrove Center is the addiction recovery unit of the Henry Ford West Bloomfield Hospital, located 30 miles northwest of Detroit. Like many recovery centers affiliated with hospitals, it doesn’t offer a standard 30-day residential treatment track. Rather, each client follows an individual program and residential treatment tends to be kept to a minimum.

The full spectrum of treatment starts with medical detox, featuring 24/7 supervision by medical professionals. Once clients are stable, they progress to the next level of care, which could be residential (generally lasting less than a month), day treatment (for those who have stable homes but require intensive, all-day care), intensive outpatient or outpatient, depending on the individual’s need for supervision. Those who stay on as residents participate in a balance of group, individual, and family counseling. They are monitored by psychiatrists, who manage depression, anxiety, and other mood-related issues.

The 12-Steps are a foundational component of treatment at Maplegrove Center, as is education for individuals and their families on the nature of addiction and recovery. The center also offers holistic and extracurricular activities such as acupuncture, yoga, and meditation. Outpatient care combines 12-step work, group and individual counseling, and marital or family counseling.

The center runs a Suboxone treatment program, along with complementary counseling and follow-up. Also on offer are a number of special programs, including dedicated provisions for women, adolescents and healthcare professionals, plus programs for gambling addiction and those who have suffered multiple relapses.

The treatment team at Maplegrove consists of a medical director/physician who is board-certified in child and adolescent psychiatry and addiction medicine, a service chief board-certified in internal medicine, a physician who specializes in family medicine, and an inpatient provider certified as a family nurse practitioner. The center also employs a clinical manager of therapy, an inpatient clinical director, a community education coordinator, as well as several licensed social workers and therapists.

There is currently limited information regarding the specific living arrangements for Maplegrove residents, but the center was founded in 1977 and pictures featured on the facility’s website indicate the décor likely hasn’t been updated since then.

Reviews from alumni indicate that the accommodations and food are fair but not spectacular. The program itself, however, generally received positive reviews, despite the poor marks for holistic offerings.

Most alumni tended to report that they left Maplegrove with the tools they needed to continue a sober life, and that they would recommend the center. Alum Rich told Rehabs.com that his stay was worth the cost of treatment, adding: “I'm still in recovery today.” And an anonymous alum wrote: “I was only there for a few days, but in those days I came out a better person who wanted to be better. It has been three years and I am still going strong!! It all started there, they made me feel like I could do anything.” An anonymous alum struggling with depression commented: “The people there helped me to feel comfortable being there, made me understand my illness is not my entire person, just a part of me. They gave me strength and understanding of my illness I didn't get from regular counseling or therapy.”

Not all reviews collected were positive. Alum D.S.L. told Rehabs.com they were misdiagnosed and should have been treated for dual diagnosis as opposed to simply substance abuse, though they added that the misdiagnosis was not the facility’s fault. Meanwhile, an anonymous alum told Rehabs.com that they felt their inpatient time was rushed, and that the facility should do more to encourage insurance companies to pay for extra time. Other criticisms included a lack of personal attention, daily exercise time, and “fun” activities.

Loved ones of former patients expressed mainly positive comments about the facility. Reviewer B.J.W. told Rehabs.com: “My daughter had gone to 5 rehabs and a mental home in one year. Her final visit was to Maplegrove. She was entered into the treatment facility after a emergency room visit. The staff was welcoming and supportive. My daughter has now been clean nearly 2 years.” In addition, an anonymous reviewer called his brother’s treatment “successful” and added that “they helped my brother kick his addiction.”

The Maplegrove Center accepts a wide variety of insurance providers, including Aetna, Blue Cross, Cigna, Humana, United HealthCare, TRICARE Standard, and many others. The hospital also offers financial assistance in the form of discounted rates for uninsured patients who qualify.

Updated March 2016

Published on February 2017

I attended Maple Grove and found it to be very professional. I would recommend it to anyone who is serious about breaking their addiction. The people at Maple Grove really care about you and act like they do. The program is interesting.

Worst place ever, no one cares, they come in do the bare minimum and go home. They dont care on a personal level. The food is horrible and the classes stink. If u want help go somewhere else trust me there are way better places!!!

This is an excellent facility with caring staff. I was very sick when I entered and the staff acted with urgency to get me medication to feel better. I enjoyed the treatment classes as well as the yoga classes they offered. There is a nice area outside that you can go to during the day to collect your thoughts. I have sent two people I know there and they had the same positive experience as I did.

I was only there for a few days, but in those days I can out a better person who wanted to be better. It has been three years and I am still going strong!! It all started there, they made me feel like I could do anything. Great group of doctors, social workers, therapist, counselors, and nurses who all worked as a group to make sure you knew what your treatment was, and what was best for you. It looks like it could use some money to spruce it up a bit, very 1970's looking.

It was an excellent facility.

If you've come to a point in your life where you are ready to make a change do not, I repeat, do not go there. I recently attended my evaluation - my 90 minute meeting after waiting well over an hour happened in under 30. The therapist I spoke to basically told me there was nothing wrong despite the fact I've been battling addiction for 4.5 years and she couldn't reach a dr. For a referral she said she'd call me back the same day with my appointment day and time. Well, we are days later and nothing- no call-Nada. No one drug tested me- though every single other person in the waiting room received one. I would never go back if I were paid.

This facility herds them in and herds them out-IMO-THEY ARE GOOD FOR DETOX ONLY My son was there for 2 weeks in Nov 2015. His therapist spoke such broken English that you couldn't understand her. He has called back 3 times for assistance with no return phone call! Six weeks later he has relapsed and is in Brighton now. Maple Grove will give you a place to dry out-that is all you get- very minimal one on one MAPLE GROVE WAS A WASTE OF TIME & MONEY!

Strong family program and good didactics; Loved the facilitator of the family share group. Outdated facility and amenities inadequate opportunities for recreational or leisure activities no choice of therapy staff and long wait time to get into see a psychiatrist. Good for local short-term detox or stabilization no long-term programs. Difficulties getting insurance authorization insufficient stay

Good area,good staff,been open a long time. Doesnt offer any fun things, excercise, gift shop, activities for residents to partake in. There isbt much for the residents family to participate in with the resident. Its a good place compared to a lot of the places available but needs a serious modern update in ots treatment program.

I must be an anomaly or maybe things have changed. I entered the facility voluntarily to stop pain meds I no longer needed. ... I survived the inept staff, but no one else should have to.

Recovery classes were a strength. Food and exercise options should improve. Overall good experience, days were kept to a strict regimen which is critical

The staff is amazing. The cost is way to much for most people to seek help, you get what you put into it

Everyone seems really knowledgeable and friendly. It was in a safe location. It was pretty expensive and very exclusive.

Its sense of community and quality of treatment. My brother attended and hugely benefitted from their care.

personal attention was a strength, but the stay wasn't long enough. The person has to want help for any Rehab to be beneficial

It was successful treatment; they helped my brother kick his addiction.

Good treatment

Maplegrove was an excellent experience. They taught me about the disease and told me that I will not be a success without AA. A 12 step program was my only hope. I listened to that and they were right. I don't know how many people told me that they relapsed many times until they took AA seriously. Maplegrove was not too proud to say that. There is no cure, just the reprieve with the focus on the 12 steps.

I went here in 2011 for in-patient detox and stayed for a few days. I was battling a heavy addiction to Xanax at age 18 and went here on my own accord. The therapists were kind, the patients were okay for the most part, but I really had an issue with the director. I am now 3+ years sober, thankfully, but that is because of myself. It still boils my blood to this day that he treated me with such contempt and distrust and almost hatred. He works in a facility aimed to treat and help people with addictions but I never once felt cared for. My family asked him for a quick meeting to discuss the next step and he showed up 10 minutes late and said "I'll give you 15 minutes." When my parents got upset by this, he threatened to call security. The rest of the meeting composed of him saying that I was only crying for attention, that I had no problems, and that he knows people like me. Even in my years of addiction, I was taken aback (and still am) about how he treated me. Had it not been for my own family, I would definitely have turned back to my addictions. I have no idea if that man still works there but if he does, I suggest you think again about staying here.

It was just the beginning of a long and fruitful journey. Been clean for 29 years.

Overall a good program

I like how they work in conjunction with Henry Ford hospital and they're on the same grounds. Also, the availability of counselors was excellent.

Generally a well run facility. Not their fault I was misdiagnosed. Treated for substance abuse instead of Dual Diagnosis. Great place. Well worth it.

Facility should fight insurance companies harder for more in-patient time. 10 days is rushed/too little. Great staff and facility

Personal attention was a strength. The stay wasn't long enough. The person has to want help for any Rehab to be beneficial

I think that they work with you. The doctors make sure that you get the meds that you need to make sure you don't have such a hard withdrawal. They helped me with my addiction and bipolar disorder. The staff is well trained. However, they have too many people that complained about the face that they had to be there.

They are good at running their business, and offering the right kind of help. They fail to connect to the patients on a more personal level. Overall it is a nice facility with a lot going for it. I just struggle with the kind of connection you feel there. The treatment programs do work there, but feeling like you belong was the problem.

They were good at understanding problems and addressing them. They were well experienced. However, there were not many visiting hours.

It helped my brother recover from alcohol addiction but not my sister in law....so I'm unsure of their success rate. It was also very expensive.

The staff is so caring, they don't make you feel bad in anyway for the illness you have, even though you are going through a rough time with it. It really needs updating, decor, options for activities. I suffer from depression, this was my first time needing treatment for a severe anxiety/depression episode. I was scared, but knew I needed to go. The people there helped me to feel comfortable being there, made me understand my illness is not my entire person, just a part of me. They gave me strength and understanding of my illness I didn't get from regular counseling or therapy.

Great place to get clean.

free, do not insist the patient particapate in treatment. Son was placed in this facility for mental problems and released after 5 days without any change. State laws do not force mental patients to remain at the facility if they do not want to if the doctor does not think they are dangerous.

I'm still in recovery today. The only thing lacking, would be to have more exercise time. They didn't provide time for daily exercise.

Just felt they were getting their money for court-ordered rehab with lousy services and bad counsellors.

A Forever Recovery
  • Self-Help
  • Native American
  • Buddhist 12 Step
Waddington Rehab Center
  • 12 step based for both AA and NA
  • Gym/ Exercising room is provided
  • Barbecue grill in our facilities side yard