45-845 Po'Okela Street

Education About Substance Use Disorders
Life Skills Training

Rehabs.com Editorial Review

ABOUT HINA MAUKA

In a lush green setting with a distant volcano as a backdrop, Hina Mauka in Kaneohe, Hawaii, offers evidence-based residential and outpatient treatment. Specialized programming is available for individuals with co-occurring substance use and mental health disorders, as well as for adolescents and incarcerated women. The United Way partner emphasizes a welcoming approach to clients.

Clients need to be medically stable and, if necessary, have undergone detoxification prior to beginning treatment at this facility. Upon enrollment in a program, each individual receives a personalized treatment plan and begins working with a case manager.

A peer mentoring program serves clients who are in the early stages addiction and recovery. More intensive programming options include 24 hours per week of therapy in residential treatment and 15 hours per week of intensive outpatient treatment.

Both programs involve individual and group counseling, addiction education, life skills training, recreational therapy, and available family and friends support meetings. Assistance is provided for addressing employment, legal, and housing challenges. Outpatient clients participate in drug and alcohol screening and medication assisted therapy is also available.

Counseling sessions utilize cognitive behavioral and motivational enhancement therapies, and clients are encouraged to participate in self-help groups such as 12-step-based meetings.

Aftercare services consist of 12 additional weeks of group therapy following completion of a residential or intensive outpatient program.

According to the facility’s website, the treatment team includes a board-certified psychiatrist, master's and doctorate level therapists, nurses, and certified substance abuse counselors.

There is often a wait list for a spot in Hina Mauka's 48-bed residence. Nutritious meals are provided, along with transportation assistance. The facility's website notes that leisure activities are scheduled, but does not specify details.

Of the six alumni reviews received by Rehabs.com to date, four were positive and two negative. Multiple former clients represented the program as providing insight into their lives and recovery process.

Two alumni were polled on 15 metrics, respectively providing mostly three- and four-star ratings for aspects such as the effectiveness of treatment received, opportunities for family involvement, availability of a selection of counseling approaches, the center's capabilities in providing dual diagnosis treatment, and the level of staff training and experience.

Accommodations ratings also all indicated basic or stronger satisfaction, including meals and nutrition, exercise and leisure activities, policies regarding phone and internet use, and the cleanliness and upkeep of the facility. One alum identified limited downtime as a strength, while suggesting that a longer stay in residential treatment would be beneficial.

The most critical reviewer expressed concerns about staff evaluations and a chaotic environment in which treatment was not taken seriously.

The sole loved one polled by Rehabs.com provided a highly favorable review, awarding the effectiveness of treatment, family involvement, and the accommodations all five stars.

At least four of the more than six dozen positive ratings on the facility's Facebook page, which its staff manages, were submitted by family members. They concurred with praise for the program's long-term, life-saving effects. "My bro was in Hina Mauka and became a good man again," Charles wrote.[1]

Likewise four past or current employees contributed to a high average rating of 4.3 stars out of five on Indeed. Reviewers described a positive work environment and belief in the program's values and staff. All reviews appeared to be written by individuals in the early stages of their profession, without advanced experience.[2]

The facility does not publish its fees online. However, it does reference a fund which gives financial assistance to those who cannot afford the full cost of treatment. The three individuals asked to rated the affordability or fairness of the cost of treatment selected three, four, and five out of five stars, respectively.

[1] https://www.facebook.com/pg/hinamauka/reviews/
[2] https://www.indeed.com/cmp/Hina-Mauka/reviews

Published on July 2017

...I'm just curious how the staff is evaluated before and after being hired. Taking advantage of someone in need of treatment seems detrimental to their recovery.

When I went into Hina Mauka, I was homeless and sick and tried of my life and my addiction. Hina Mauka showed me that I broken in thousands of pieces and began helping me put them back together. Hina Mauka saved my life and I will be eternally grateful to the staff and my counselor. Hina Mauka is my heart and soul.

It was a great experience I loved it

Me going to gina Mauka was the best thing I could have done. It helped me learn about myself and gave me insight to the greater things in life. They don't leave you with too much idle time. The residential stay might benefit from being longer.

Wow. What a trip this place was. I went there seeking help and for the 5 days I was there all I was surrounded by was people not taking this seriously... I found all this was VERY disruptive to my healing process. If you are going to pay for this out of your pocket, like I did, I would recommend you look else. I am defiantly going to let the Department of Health know about what is going on in this facility. Good luck in your recovery!!

After being in multipl rehabs this one worked.

I am still clean, and now work there. Going to school for my csac " certified substance abuse counseling."

Hawaii Island Recovery
  • Wild Dolphin Assisted Psychotherapy
  • EMDR, Dual Diagnosis,CBT, Hypnosis
  • Fitness and Nutrition
The Exclusive Hawaii
  • Acupuncture
  • Emotional Fluidity
  • Experiential Engagement Therapy (EET)