45-845 Po'Okela Street

Education About Substance Use Disorders
Life Skills Training

Rehabs.com Editorial Review

ABOUT HINA MAUKA

In a lush green setting with a distant volcano as a backdrop, Hina Mauka in Kaneohe, Hawaii offers a full range of substance abuse treatment programs, including programs for co-occurring mental health disorders and medication-assisted therapy.

The facility offers residential and outpatient treatment programs for adults and a specialized teen outpatient program called Teen CARE. There’s also an addiction treatment program for incarcerated women in nearby Kailua that emphasizes traditional Hawaiian culture and values. Length of stay varies depending on each client, and detox services are not offered on-site.

For each client, residential treatment includes a comprehensive evaluation, an individualized treatment plan, and case management services. There’s a minimum of 24 hours per week of therapeutic activities, which includes at least one hour of individual counseling. Options for outpatient treatment range from one to 15 hours per week, although each group therapy session lasts three hours. They also offer intensive outpatient treatment with programming every day of the week.

Regardless of the program, all clients participate in substance abuse education, group therapy, life skill classes, family/couple counseling, recreational therapy, and substance abuse testing. They’re also given the opportunity to participate in a voluntary peer mentoring program that can be helpful in regaining confidence and maintaining sobriety.

Family and friends of clients are encouraged to participate in a weekly family program, in which they learn about addiction and what they can do to support the recovery process.

Aftercare consists of a weekly 90-minute group therapy session for up to 12 weeks.

According to the facility’s website, the treatment team includes a board-certified psychiatrist, nurses, and certified substance abuse counselors.

Clients live and receive treatment on Hina Mauka’s beautiful, sprawling campus, which is dotted with red-roofed buildings built in the traditional island style.

Of the five alumni polled by Rehabs.com on three basic metrics at the time of this writing, four were positive. The average rating for treatment effectiveness was four out of five stars and accommodations at the facility were given 4.6 out of five stars. The two alumni polled on 15 metrics by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing gave this facility three and four out of five star ratings for staff experience. “Hina Mauka showed me that I broken in thousands of pieces and began helping me put them back together. Hina Mauka saved my life…” Donita, an alum, wrote.

Although the meals and accommodations were rated above average, the one negative review posted to Rehabs.com stated treatment was ineffective. “For the 5 days I was there all I was surrounded by was people not taking this seriously,” Keoiki wrote.

Outside of Rehabs.com, alumni reviews are overwhelmingly positive. On the facility’s Facebook page, which it manages, it received a collective 4.7 out of five stars rating from seventy-two reviewers.1 Alumni reviewers commented on the helpful and supportive staff. “I can honestly say I wouldn't be anywhere I am today without the help from some of the great staff there,” Trent wrote.

Parent B.V.M., surveyed by Rehabs.com, remarked that the program at Hina Mauka was successful for their child. “After being in multiple rehabs this one worked.”

Four reviews posted by loved ones on the facility’s Facebook page, which it manages, gave straight five star ratings and several described the treatment program as life-saving for their family members and friends.1

The facility does not publish its fees online. However, it does mention its Kokua Fund, which gives financial assistance to those who cannot afford the full cost of the recovery program.

Updated December 2016

1. https://www.facebook.com/pg/hinamauka/reviews/?ref=page_internal

...I'm just curious how the staff is evaluated before and after being hired. Taking advantage of someone in need of treatment seems detrimental to their recovery.

When I went into Hina Mauka, I was homeless and sick and tried of my life and my addiction. Hina Mauka showed me that I broken in thousands of pieces and began helping me put them back together. Hina Mauka saved my life and I will be eternally grateful to the staff and my counselor. Hina Mauka is my heart and soul.

It was a great experience I loved it

Me going to gina Mauka was the best thing I could have done. It helped me learn about myself and gave me insight to the greater things in life. They don't leave you with too much idle time. The residential stay might benefit from being longer.

Wow. What a trip this place was. I went there seeking help and for the 5 days I was there all I was surrounded by was people not taking this seriously... I found all this was VERY disruptive to my healing process. If you are going to pay for this out of your pocket, like I did, I would recommend you look else. I am defiantly going to let the Department of Health know about what is going on in this facility. Good luck in your recovery!!

After being in multipl rehabs this one worked.

I am still clean, and now work there. Going to school for my csac " certified substance abuse counseling."

Hawaii Island Recovery
  • Wild Dolphin Assisted Psychotherapy
  • EMDR, Dual Diagnosis,CBT, Hypnosis
  • Fitness and Nutrition
The Exclusive Hawaii
  • Acupuncture
  • Emotional Fluidity
  • Experiential Engagement Therapy (EET)