Holly Hill Hospital in Raleigh, NC

3019 Falstaff Road
Raleigh NC 27610

Holly Hill Hospital Philosophy

Located in Raleigh, North Carolina, Holy Hill has been providing quality mental health and substance abuse treatment for more than 35 years. The facility offers programs for adults, adolescents and children, and is committed to improving the quality of life for each and every client that walks through the door. Addiction treatment combines traditional group therapy with 12-Step facilitation and peer-to-peer support.

• 12-Step
    The term “12 Step Program” describes a way to recover from addiction that is based on the model developed by Alcoholics Anonymous. Many drug and alcohol treatment centers base their treatment on 12 steps – the first three of which are situational, the next four addressing the practical issues created by the addiction, followed by two steps focused on making amends for hurting others. Steps 10 and 11 involve a deeper examination of the previous steps and the final step is focused on helping others avoid and recover from addiction.

Family Dynamics

Stress Trigger Identification

Communication Skills

Thomas Cornwall, MD

Medical Director and Clinical Director for Child Services

Jessica Lincoln, LCSW

Director of Clinical Services

ABOUT HOLLY HILL HOSPITAL

Located four miles east of downtown Raleigh, N.C., Holly Hill is a behavioral health hospital that treats a range of mental health disorders, including substance abuse and dual diagnoses. It operates two locations: one for clients under the age of 17, and one for those 18 and older. Substance abuse programs (which are provided on the adult campus) consist of medically managed detox, a residential program, and outpatient care.

Holly Hill views addiction as a treatable medical illness. All programming is firmly rooted in the 12-Steps. Clients are admitted voluntarily, but a 72-hour notice is required for early discharge. Clients attend regular Narcotics Anonymous (NA) and Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) meetings.

Residential care is offered in the context of a traditional 28-day residential program that supplements 12-step work with individual and group therapy. The residential program also uses a strengths-based program called Treatment Trails. A partial hospitalization program (PHP) follows the Matrix Model, which uses cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) alongside contingency management, motivational interviewing, family participation, and 12-step work.

According to the facility’s website, the treatment team includes psychiatrists, physicians, registered nurses, mental health technicians, social workers, therapists, and recreation therapists. The 15 individuals polled on the staff’s level of training and experience at the time of this writing gave it an average rating of 3.27 out of five stars.

Photos published on the facility’s website show comfortable but sparsely decorated bedrooms, an indoor basketball court, shared computers, and some outdoors seating. A playground is available at the children’s campus. The 14 reviewers polled on the facility’s cleanliness at the time of this writing gave it a 3.29 out of five-star average rating.

To date, eight alumni provided feedback for Holly Hill Hospital to Rehabs.com. Two of the reviews were positive, four were mixed, and two were negative.

Overall, the five alumni to provide feedback on additional metrics indicated a lack of holistic and exercise offerings, giving an average of 2.25 and 1.5 out of five stars, respectively.

The staff’s experience and training received an average of 3.4 out of five stars from five alumni polled. More than one client praised the facility’s staff. “The Dr., was one of the best therapists I have ever had… The therapists that ran our classes were excellent in getting everyone involved,” A.J.K. wrote. However, A.J.K. added that there were “a few bad eggs” — a conclusion echoed by several individuals, such as R.M. who wrote that nurses were “snappy and overworked.”

Some alumni wrote about dirty, run-down facilities. More seriously, Aiden told Rehabs.com: “I felt extremely unsafe in this hospital, being in the middle of several violent and dangerous fights. I was misdiagnosed while here and was treated as if I were incapable of feeling emotion.”

To date, 10 loved ones provided mixed feedback about the facility. The 10 individuals polled on a variety of treatment aspects at the time of this writing cumulatively gave the facility an average of 2.9 out of five stars for its family program, 3.3 out of five stars for its staff’s level of training and experience, and two out of five stars for its holistic options. When asked, on a scale from one to five, if they’d recommend the facility, the 10 individuals gave an average rating of 3.1.

Positive commentary described the facility as clean and well maintained, with an average of 3.33 out of five stars given for the facility’s cleanliness.

Some of the loved ones thought the facility staffed plenty of counselors. Though both some alumni and other loved ones disagreed, saying they felt the facility was understaffed. Loved ones gave the staff’s experience and training an average of 3.2 out of five stars.

Furthermore, more than one reviewer said they felt clients were discharged too early. “Do not keep long enough to really treat the problem. The one who was admitted was discharged too soon,” one anonymous individual wrote.

According to the facility’s website, it is a preferred provider for most health insurance companies, and accepts Medicare, and TriCare. The 15 individuals polled on the facility’s affordability at the time of this writing gave it an average rating of three out of five stars.

Updated April 2017

Published on June 2017

It is a terrible place, I was there 7 days. There was no such thing as help. The place was never clean. The food my dog would not eat. Please don't send a loved one the. It needs to be shut down. The worse days of my life.

Had scheduled appt at 11 am on 9/2/17. Arrived at 10:50 am. Receptionist was nice. After sitting in waiting room for 1.5hrs without anyone from hospital staff speaking to me. There were a total of 3 other patients in waiting room. During my wait only 2 patients were called back. This was the most insensitive and waste of time for me and my family. This facility is yet another embarrassment to our healthcare system. Shame on Holly Hill and the so called professional staff. Do not waste your time! There needs to be a clearing out of current staff or major training on customer relations and sensitivity to the task at hand. Find a new supervisor and nurses for starters. Between food,gossip, and cell phones, staff doesn't have time for patients. Bet they still get paid!!

Instead of focusing on my treatment these people focused on my phone. They told me i couldnt use my phone at home until they thought i was ready instead of focusing on my anxiety and depression. They did completely nothing for my treatment and moved their focus on my phone and didnt even keep my information confidential. After i told the therapist skmething private that i wanted to be confidential (it had nothing to do with me harming myself or anything) she told my parents. The techs are not trained enough and the nurses didnt care about anything other than their paychecks and coming to this disgusting hoslital would only make you worse. The techs swear, use harsh language and i dont recommend this place for your children. Please pick another hospital and for the sake of your child do research before sending them anywhere

Coming here was my biggest regret. Everyone wonders why people don't seek for help; places like Holly Hill are why. I came in with self inflicted wounds and asked for something to cover/treat them with while i was being admitted and they told me the wounds "weren't bad enough". I spoke to one therapist and then they just slapped a hospital bracelet on my wrist and sent me upstairs. No one told me my treatment plan or anything. I felt so unsafe in my wing. I am a very young girl and there were only men in my wing. I didn't eat the entire time I was here. I did not want to go to the cafeteria so they stopped bringing me meals to my room. I waited by the nurses counter for 20 minutes before the male nurse even looked at me just so i could get a cup for water. he never gave me one. I went to my room and started crying and they immediately sedated me. I begged them to let me go. When I told the nurse I wanted to leave, she laughed at me. I never met my doctor ONCE. I talked them into letting me speak to someone about leaving. I spoke to one doctor and he was very condescending. He asked me how my stay was at the "looney bin" and rolled his eyes at me many times and made fun of me for crying. Coming here is my biggest mistake. Because of my outrageous hospital bill, I cannot afford to see my regular therapist or psychiatrist. They did absolutely nothing for me. Just left me to rot in my room. If you love someone, you would NOT send them here.

I got off all my meds here effectively and then went out west to Cali and they put me on meds and I'm now tapering off. Holly Hill was better than of the most expensive facilities. I've been to the best of facilities out in Cali and this will always have my heart. This is where I made the truest friends.

why are the people who reside here are on so many instutiors and im having problems with one of them they keep making me wanna leave.

The room and hallways were filthy. No attention to cleanliness, which was very odd for a hospital. The staff was mostly pleasant. The billing was sloppy. I paid my bill in a very efficient manner following my stay and the hospital cashed the check, yet they continued to bill me and harass me. I had a copy of the check that they deposited. Very sloppy bookkeeping on their end and it cost me a lot of time trying to resolve this.

i have been sent here for "self harm" according to my psychologist (which i was in 4th grade and i was tapping a book against my head). upon entering there were multiple people smoking in the reception office once i got my "room" i was locked in for an hour. when i was let out i was allowed to socialize with the other boys. in the middle of the night i was woke up by someone threatening to sue so i opened my door and saw 2 men forcing her onto the floor and a women sedated her they saw me looking and the woman shut my door and locked it for the night. i wake up at about 8:30 to more screaming by the same girl saying "as soon as i get out i'm going to sue every last" which she was cut off by a man putting his hand over her mouth and sedating her again then dragging her into a white tiled room with nothing but a drain in the floor. about an hour later every one gets up and starts walking to the locked door separating us from the other rooms so i got up and went with them and i get pushed into the boys common area by a large man then he said "no leaving the wing the first 2 days" about 10 minutes later they bring in a tray of cold food that was clearly days old so i passed on eating so they came in and said "eat or you wont eat until tomorrow" so i ate. i woke up that night and asked for another blanket because i was cold (it was in December) they said "why should you get one your no better than the others" then they sent me to my room. the next day was pretty much the same including the screaming girl which i found out her name Sarah. the third day i was brought to the "cafeteria" which had over 200 other kids 6-18. the food in there was acceptable (and heated) i was forced to sit with 3 kids from my wing and 12 others (16 at the table) one on the other kids spilled his water and it got on the kids tray and there pants there response was to flip there tray and start a fight with the kid (who was 9 and had autism) the kid had a broken nose and the kid who started the fight was sedated and carried off to another location. the next 2 days were just like the last expect sarah was gone and there was no fight at the cafeteria.

I can't put into words the passion with which I hate this place. You're going to involuntarily commit me to a hospital and then charge me over $1500, after my insurance picked up 80% (Yeah, do the math. It's expensive.) This wasn't a helpful experience for me and all it did was put me further in debt, made me fall behind academically, and triggered paranoia in me from the constant checks where they observe everything from your facial expression to your body movements. Put someone you love in an institution like this will NOT fix anything, it will only cause their problems to grow. I've been out of the hospital for two weeks now and they just called to inform me I have to pay my entire bill by the end of the week or it's sent to collections, OR set up a 5 month payment plan, paying $250 at a time. As a broke college student with no family members to help carry the financial burden- two of the reasons I ended up in this godforsaken facility, I might add- I feel myself starting to spiral again. So no, I don't think Holly Hill is dedicated to helping it's patients. It's only interest is financial.

The meals are not age appropriate for the children and the company contracted to provide food services cuts corners and provides substandard service and poor quality food.

they all lie this place isnt as good as they make it seem

I was admitted to this facility after I had left the hospital. I would not recommend this hospital to anybody. It's extremely unsafe- and the staff is a split of caring, and staff who could care less what happens to you; you're seen as another crazy patient in their eyes. I was on the detox floor, even though that was not what I was there for. And the doctors are careless with medication... I don't recommend this facility to anyone. Detoxing or for mental health. I have PTSD and this hospital did nothing for therapeutic purposes, are careless with medications, and will leave you feeling uncomfortable, and scared for your own safety. Stay away from this hospital if you can help it- this isn't the place to get REAL help.

We took our son to the children's hospital this week. The service from staff was exemplary. They were patient with my questions and were friendly. However, the entertainment in the waiting room seemed very inappropriate for general public viewing, and especially inappropriate for children. The TV was tuned to adult programming including robot chicken, American Dad, Family Guy, etc. which included nude images and crude language that is not suitable for those under 18. It made me uncomfortable. I understand that this channel was staff-chosen, but more discretion should be used in common areas. Remember, this is the public's very first impression of your hospital. It does make me wonder what the children are exposed to during their treatment. I would hope for more respectful, "G-rated" programming and entertainment your waiting rooms. Perhaps an educational programming or even news channel would be a good option. Note: We have not had the chance to visit yet and do not have a feel for the actual program outside of the admissions/waiting area.

I spent a full week in Holly Hill in early November 2016. The mental health techicians were generally mean, short, and not understanding of those in the facility. The food was absolutely awful. The environment was that of what I would describe a prison. Your room doors were locked most of the day. You had to ask for everything. I could not have a hard cover book until I got permission from the psychiatrist. There are a calendar of events for each day, but this is generally not followed at all. The majority of each day was spent "killing time" in the group room. Most people colored..I did Sudoku from the newspaper. There is only 1 hour of therapy each day by a licenced therapist. That is only 5 hours each week.This is a facility to detox and wast time each week, not to get help and thereapy. The best analogy I can come up with is that this facility is like an airport. It is a place you come to in order to get to your true destination for care, therapy, and help.

This establishment is a revolving door for insurance money, beware! So many people I met there told me that they stayed just till insurance days were used up then were booted out.... I checked in of my own accord, couldn't get out without family intervention to release me, and that was not what I was assured upon admittance. This facility really scares me, they are not advocates for the patients. And the doctor that "treated" me was incredibly incompetent and unkind.

Great experience for our Autistic son. We visited our Son every other day. (he was there for a while). We never witnessed staff treating the kids with disrespect. Which made us feel better. One guy on North Unit deserves a Gold Star. He was wonderful! 4 other staff members were also great. Really everyone there was so nice. Very refreshing as our boy has had multiple inpatient stays. The doctor deserves a round of applause. He was very open to listening. As we had major concerns about our son's medication management. Thanks to two female staff members for always having such a warm smile!

Returned to a different hospital after spending two weeks here. Treatment was not effective, it was actually quite traumatizing. Accommodations and amenities were unsatisfactory. Meals and nutrition were terrible, caused the whole unit to become sick to their stomach.

I was transferred from a local hospital to Holly Hill where I stayed in the adolescent unit for a week. I have been to many different behavioral health units/ psychiatric care units and I feel that Holly Hill was one of the best. During groups we had REAL discussions and they helped us a lot. Some of the staff was a bit rude to the patients but most were nice. I liked that we did different things. Some hospitals I've been to we just sat in a room all day and talked and colored. At Holly Hill we were able to do more. I also loved that we were able to go outside. That was really nice.

Holly Hills Hospital NC is a MESS. The staff do not care about patients, loved ones, or even those simply seeking help and advice. ...Dietary needs were not met nor inquired for and met; the patient was forced to wait alone away from loved ones even after expressing wishes for loved ones to accompany them and all of this whilst NOT an inpatient. Intrinsic bathroom needs were not met, and the patient scared into staying in the same room for several hours without bathroom breaks or offer of nourishment nor water....Ultimately, patients are being failed by sloppy and uncaring staff and causing undue duress and distress.

My son was involuntary committed and put under the care of the doctor, who should have been retired long ago. First time I saw him I thought he was one of the patients. When my wife tried speaking with him he ended up screaming at her. He did not help my son, and only tried to extend his stay, so that the hospital could make money. The administration was terrible, you cannot call them, only leave emails and voice messages which they respond to when they feel like it. Stay away from this place.

Due to personal reasons, my wife was admitted to this hospital recently. To start with, the staff was very rude. Especially the weekend staff, they were the worst. Staff members were very short and seemed very controlling to the point she was uncomfortable staying there. To add to the uncomfort, she was not allowed to shut her door at anytime even at night. This was very upsetting to me ... While they were not supposed to be in other rooms, there wasn't much to stop them. My wife had multiple "groups" during the day in which she was supposed to be getting help when in reality she usually didn't do much. Other than these groups, she just sat around and read whatever books they allowed her access too. On the rare occasion she actually got to speak to an actual doctor, she had 1-2 minutes ...She received very little help. We had a co-pay before they allowed her to leave. We were told she could set up finance to pay what was left after insurance took over. Shortly after she was released, the hospital took about 4500$ out of her account without her permission. The hospital never asked, or said anything, we never knew until her card was declined. We have spent the last 3 weeks getting the run around from this "business" about getting her money back. Being told they were sending a check and then telling us they never sent one. Now that they have actually sent one, the bank has said the check isn't good. I don't know what kind of business HollyHill is trying to run, but it has been nothing short or crooked and some of the worst service Iv seen. I would not trust anyone of my family or friends to receive any help from this "hospital"

worst time of my life and didnt really help me in the end

I am a survivor with your excellent service god bless you and god bless america. my name means survivor. good health and enjoying my time

Lots of counselor Not a lot of activities. Visitation rules are strick Good treatment

I had a meltdown one morning in January 2016. I called 911, and being rather new to the area, I just told them to take me somewhere where I could get help. They took me to Holly Hills. Yes, it did,seem the assessment and admission process was long, especially in my breakdown,drunken condition. I did think I would be out in 3 days, since I came voluntarily, but after the 3 days I was told that would not be the case. I really wasn't ready to go home, but I was concerned that my sister was coming from Ohio, and there has been no one to look after my cats until she came. The folks at the desk werehelpful in letting me make numerous phone calls. I have been treated for depression for 38 years, I was started on anti-depressants 21 years ago.... When I had my first intense session with Dr. , he explained that after so many years, the meds can be ineffective. He diagnosed me with more of a type of bipolar disorder, and started me on a new type of med. For the whole experience, The Dr., was one of the best therapists I have ever had. He listened attentively, made me dig deep into my life, and the 'homework' he gave me helped me greatly in learning more about myself. I only wish I could see him on a regular basis. I thought the food was very good, with a nice variety. The therapists that ran our classes were excellent in getting everyone involved. Fun time was great. We had some great AA meetings in the evenings. Yes, there were a number of 'dead' times, where some did color, watch TV, or whatever to pass the time. BUT it was also a time for us to get to know each other, and talk to each other outside of a structured class or meeting. This allowed us to make friends. I guess I was fortunate enough to have been with a great group of patients! My complaints are mainly about some of the staff. You could be standing at the desk, and some would be talking to each other and totally ignore you. And there was a lot of LOUD talking, laughing, and door slamming all night. Most of the staff were great, but a few bad eggs. All in all, going there at that critical time, was the best thing I did.

Please find somewhere else!!! Holly Hill didn't help me whatsoever, and I (after two years) am still struggling. The nurses were snappy and overworked, the doctors too quick to diagnose. Toilets were out of order for days, and the showers have hardly lukewarm water. Most the food was stale and dry, hardly edible. The only good thing about this place? Sometimes- very rarely- there's cake.

EXTREMLEY dissapointed in the care give at holly hill, the place was a wreck and the "doctors" were a joke definitely not a good place to get sober if anything I am 100% worse than before I came to holly hill I do not recommend this dumb hole of a place.

This place was awful. My room had crusted vomit on the floor, the toilet was out of order for nearly three days and the main areas were shabby at best. Many of the nurses were rude and overworked, though the exceptions were remarkable people. The doctor was quick to diagnose. The group therapy sessions were often triggering for many of the patients with anxiety issues and made no particular sense.

I stayed in this facility for 7 days in the one of the adolescent units. These were packed and during the day we were divided by our sex despite our genders (would not recommend to anyone of LGBT+ orientation). Staff were inattentive and rude. They were not accommodating to our individual needs... I felt extremely unsafe in this hospital, being in the middle of several violent and dangerous fights. I was misdiagnosed while here and was treated as if I were incapable of feeling emotion. The treatment and help I received was so bad. Please do NOT go here.

I found the nursing staff apathetic at best. In my 5 days in "treatment", I spent a total of 3 minutes talking with the doctor prescribing my medication. Group therapy was run by an intern, and our free time consisted of loud TVs blaring and coloring. It was as if the patients were in a preschool. Little to no privacy was allowed, and patients were "checked on" every :15 minutes the entire night while trying to sleep. NOT ever a place I would recommend to those dealing with depression or anxiety. Voluntary admission to this facility was the biggest mistake of my life.

Kept everything in order. Could have better food. My experience was well needed and directed me into the path I am now, the staff was very easy to get along with .

friendly, good treatment, lots of resources, caring.Need coffee, better food. This place helped me through a rough time and I am grateful for the resources they provided me with.

Well maintained facility inside and outside Well trained staff Good therapy programs. Under staffed. Not enough seating in the visitation area. The age groups need to be adjusted. Over all it was a really nice facility very clean and well maintained but it took almost 5 hour to get the person admitted. It really wasn't the staffs fault the nurses and admitting staff were doing everything the could but there just wasn't enough of them. The persons main complaint was they were grouped with nobody close to their age. They were 8 years older than the next person who was 7

Staff meetings were rude.

They had good structure. They made my time there very pleasant.

Mental Health is a priority. Do not keep long enough to really treat the problem. The one who was admitted was discharged too soon. Shortly after discharge, they committed suicide as the answer to the addiction and problems.

It's a racket

Well trained staff, excellent food; top notch security. Discharges too early but in many cases due to insurance limitations. My son was involuntarily commited. I cannot reccomend the adolescent ward at all, however the adult ward was outstanding. This past time he was there, he was in the adult section and got the proper diagnosis as well as the correct medication.

They were able to answer my questions and my familys they were able to help with my sons problem. Just a few more people on staff needed. They help you work through your issues. What ever you were running from when you began using. You have to deal with your demons our your pain make peace with it and let it go. Nothing in life is worth and addiction.

It could be good but a serious overhaul is desperately needed. Food was good but the counseling was bad.

Staff is good. Facility is shabby.

I was extremely nervous about entering the facility, but the aides were very welcoming & encouraging. I felt comfortable sharing private, personal experiences.

I would not go to this facility for depression. I feel the best treatment is private one on one counseling. It was too expensive for the counseling and the short stay, that I was there.

It didn't work. Would not recommend it.

Silver Ridge
  • 12 Acres of Secluded Property
  • Spacious Rooms
  • Contemplative Spaces
Crest View Recovery Center
  • Accepts Aetna, United Healthcare, UMR, Cigna and other "big name" insurance companies
  • Medical Director is a psychiatrist and sees all the clients
  • Healing in the mountains of Western NC