Jaywalker Lodge in Carbondale, CO

Alumni Association
Family Program
Collegiate Recovery Program

ABOUT JAYWALKER LODGE

Situated in the picturesque town of Carbondale, Colo. in the Rocky Mountains., Jaywalker Lodge provides long-term residential treatment, outpatient services, and sober living for men struggling with chemical dependency. The facility’s name comes from page 37 of the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous — the story known as the “Jaywalker Parable,” which compares an alcoholic continuing to drink to a jaywalker continuing to walk into traffic.

Medical detox is not available on-site, though the facility does make recommendations for detox services.

Upon admission, clients participate in an initial assessment to guide clinicians in forming an individualized treatment program. New clients spend between seven and 21 days in an introductory phase known as “The Landing,” which provides an orientation to both the facility and 12-Step. Jaywalker Lodge’s programming blends the 12-step model of recovery, evidence-based treatments, and experiential therapy, and the length of the residential program is between 97 days and six months.

Residential treatment is an extended-stay, immersive experience that stresses the importance of spirituality in recovery. Attendance at 12-step meetings is mandatory, and step-work is an essential part of each individual’s treatment program. During residential treatment, clients also participate in a structured schedule of group therapy, education lectures, meditation sessions, and individual counseling. As needed, clients may also meet with spirituality counselors, fitness specialists, and mental health care professionals throughout treatment.

A major component of the residential program is its Expeditions, or adventure-based, experiential therapy activities. Each week, clients have the opportunity to choose from a range of activities, such as hot yoga sessions, mountain biking, white-water rafting, snowboarding, rock climbing, and more. Residents also perform service work within the community.

The Solutions Program at Jaywalker offers transitional living services to clients, lasting 90 days. Clients continue 12-step work, begin reintegration into the workplace or academia, and volunteer with Colorado nonprofit agencies. Clients balance their new responsibilities and continuing recovery schedule with help from the staff.

To involve family members in the recovery process, Jaywalker offers a four-day family program every six weeks. Once a client graduates the residential program, alumni may be encouraged to transition into the Jaywalker outpatient program, which offers individual and group counseling twice weekly. Jaywalker also operates three sober living facilities in the community and provides no-cost aftercare services for six to nine months.

Jaywalker Lodge employs a multidisciplinary treatment staff comprised of a psychiatrist, licensed professional counselors, a psychotherapist, a spiritual and mindfulness coach, fitness and wellness specialists, expedition specialists, and support staff.

Jaywalker features a well-equipped kitchen, plenty of meeting space, common areas with TVs, and fitness equipment. An on-site chef serves two meals a day, while residents prepare their own breakfasts. Residents are also responsible for some household chores. Although residents are not allowed personal laptops or cellphones, a computer is available to use at the residence. The sober living facilities are located across the street from the Lodge.

An overwhelming majority of the 13 alumni polled by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing praised most aspects of the facility. Five survey respondents polled in specific metrics offered an average ratings of 4.4 out of five stars for both the treatment staff’s level of experience and training, as well as the inclusion of holistic treatment methods.

Alumni praised the facility for its great staff, accommodations, and eating options. Alum Bill wrote: "The food is the best because of an amazing chef, the staff are holistically healthy people that love what they do." However, two alumni did comment on the facility's lack of structure.

The six loved ones polled by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing also lauded the facility, and four loved ones polled on the matter gave an average rating of 4.75 stars for the level of family participation included in treatment.

Offering five stars for the facility’s staff support, one anonymous loved one wrote: “I think one of the best things for my loved one was the availability of extended care after he left the facility.” Supporting this opinion and citing aftercare as a strength, parent Bonnie added: “The counselors and family program were excellent.” However, some loved ones did comment on the high cost of the facility.

Jaywalker Lodge does not publish specific pricing information on its website but notes that it does accept out-of-network insurance.

Published on July 2017

Facility was clean and maintained nicely. Great family participation.

Strengths: Step 1 and building recovery capital. Weaknesses: Aftercare. This place saved my life after numerous attempts to get sober. Eternally grateful to the staff and the program

Excellent vision, leadership, and staff. Programs for various need and life stages, conscious and innovative program expansion. Our son enrolled in the Solutions Program for aftercare following a 60 day primary care experience at another facility/program in another state. He has often said the first was the reason he got sober and Jaywalker was the reason he stayed sober. The counselors and family program were excellent. After Solutions, Jaywalker helped place him in a sober living home while he continued some outpatient therapy at Jaywalker and participated in supportive alumni activities. I would recommend, and have, Jaywalker to others.

Hello, this weekend is good for me, for the reason that this moment i am reading this wonderful educational post here at my house.

They lie to you coming in about their program and how it works. The program is a mess. I am sober to this day with no thanks to that program at all.

The son I know is back and, a man I didn't know is present. He has become more than he ever was. He's strong, decisive, accountable, loving, kind and working on his recovery. Jaywalker is a 12-Step based recovery model, is similar to Outward Bound and/or bootcamp in the military. The food is the best because of an amazing chef, the staff are holistically healthy people that love what they do. The clients are the focus. Having worked there as a consultant for fifteen months I am biased because I worked with the majority of the staff including the leadership team, the clinical staff and the support staff…My son now puts us being together as a priority, and expresses insights and gratitude.

Great facility, great activities, capable consultants, fantastic food, good at 12-Step program. Poor criteria for hiring new staff, very poor communication with parents, failure to personalize treatment, staff allows personal feelings to impact treatment and generally poor clinical services.

I think one of the best things for my loved one was the availability of extended care after he left the facility. There was a sober house in Carbondale and then he received support from Jaywalker when he rented his own house and kept it as a sober house when he accepted room mates. It's for males only

It's hard to say what is a fair price for recovery, there is none. But even at major metropolitan cities medical doctors prices, above average dining and hotel accommodations, JWL's monthly figure is excessive, $25,000.00!

Great staff. Great accommodations and great food. Recovery rocks thanks to Jaywalker Lodge.

Jaywalker Lodge changed my life and I am forever grateful for that. If you are an 18-40+ yr old male with 30 days under your belt, get yourself to Carbondale. I really can't say enough how grateful I am to have gone through the Jaywalker program and, thanks to God and fellow alcoholics, I am still sober today!

Great treatment

Taught me how to fall in love with my life in sobriety!

I had a great experience with Jaywalker. I lived in the Lodge in November 2014. They have several treatment options depending on the client’s needs: The Lodge offers slightly more freedom then primary care, but extensive counseling and groups. Solutions has more freedom and promotes clients to offer service to the community. All programs have an outdoor adventure component that is great for young men in recovery. It provides new outlets and passions. The location in close proximity to Aspen and the mountains is fantastic as well as the community around Carbondale, CO. There are extensive resources in the area such as sober living facilities and A New Path. This is a great place for recovery and prepares clients for the real world and challenges that it will present.

I found the emphasis on physical activity and service work to be quite effective in my case. It has been essential in my recovery to once again feel good about myself physically. When I got to Jaywalker I could barely walk. Within two months, I was rock climbing! The mental determination to achieve this has served me well on the road to becoming emotionally fit. I found the sharing and feedback of group therapy enlightening. It allowed me to begin to discover me and showed me the value and benefit of honesty. I went through the Lodge, Solutions, and IOP programs and became physically and mentally "weller" each step of the way. Through the service work opportunities provided, I was able to start grasping the true value of giving when not done merely as an empty gesture. Except for the price of living being way high for those starting from scratch, and no ocean/beach anywhere near, the location is great! And so is the.food at the lodge!

I attended the Lodge from Oct."05" to Feb. "06". Been clean and sober since. Greatly due to the fact that Jaywalker has functions for the alumni so we can stay connected. Jaywalker is a huge part of my foundation and I'm telling you every time I walk through the doors, it feels like home. That my friends is a miracle!!

Jaywalker Lodge was my saving grace. I've always loved the outdoors and being adventurous, but my addiction stripped me of those things. Jaywalker Lodge taught me how to enjoy all of those things again. The alumni community of Jaywalker is what makes it work. I remember being in the Lodge and seeing all of the alumni come in for meals, and seeing how happy they were after going on mountain bike rides or shredding on the mountain all day. I thought to myself, "This is what it's all about!" I thought I would be doomed to a life of going to AA meetings everyday, and not really being happy. That was not the case at all. I have a life because of AA, but it is NOT my life. AA taught me how to get sober and stay sober, but Jaywalker taught me how to have fun in sobriety.

Incredible staff and facilities located in a beautiful mountain setting. Jaywalker has given me the tools and confidence I need to be a productive member of society. I have long term recovery and more importantly, I have a life filled with joy and abundance. The expedition program was a life changing/ spiritual experience. Thanks for giving me my life back !

Not enough structure . Lack of training and education regarding techs. Not for those who do not wish to regularly engage in rigorous physical activity, lack of communication among staff and parents, allowed to have phones and video games once in the solutions program. Too much freedom too soon. "the financial component" is more of a driving issue regarding initial admission and subsequent decisions to move clients from one level to the next. If client is asked to leave for anything not just using, one day's notice is given. Hardly enough time to get your affairs in order and stay sober. bottom line, if they need to open up a bed, they will compromise another clients best interest and sobriety and move them up one level even if they aren't ready to make room for another paying client. The food is good and nutritious, the outings and service work are all good. J walker u is a great opportunity for those who want to finish college, but it's pricey, so be prepared to keep our wallet open. Bottom line, it''s not for everyone, but some men do succeed and thrive. I just don't think j walker has enough years under its belt to have broad range and proven success.

The Raleigh House of Hope