Joseph S. Massie Unit in Cumberland, MD

10102 SE Country Club Road
Cumberland MD 21502

Joseph S. Massie Unit Philosophy

The Joseph S. Massie Unit provides comprehensive, high quality addictions treatment to individuals who are chemically dependent or abuse chemicals, and their significant others. We work cooperatively with our community in achieving our purpose. The Joseph S. Massie Unit is a multi-modality treatment facility for adults experiencing the devastating effects of alcoholism and other chemical dependency. The Unit provides comprehensive, high quality treatment to individuals and their significant others.

• Aftercare Support
    Addiction recovery does not end with discharge after completing a rehab program. Facilities that offer aftercare planning and/or support work with patients to ensure sustainable recovery by helping to plan and make arrangements for transitional or sober living, help with housing, vocational counseling, etc.

• Holistic Therapy
    Facilities that offer “holistic therapy” see and treat patients in the context of their entire lives and health status. They treat the “whole person,” not just the addiction.

Alcohol and Drug Education

Relapse Prevention

Nutritional Services

Rehabs.com Editorial Review

ABOUT JOSEPH S. MASSIE UNIT

The Allegany County Health Department’s Joseph S. Massie Unit serves adults seeking recovery from alcoholism, dependency, and gambling. Located on the grounds of the Thomas B. Finan Center, a multipurpose inpatient psychiatric hospital in Cumberland, Md., this state-licensed Massie Unit provides holistic, residential care for adults with addictive and co-occurring issues.

Upon admission, clients receive medical and psychiatric assessments for treatment planning, along with medical care and nutrition therapy. Though treatment is individualized, clients enrolled in the holistic, residential program typically stay for an average of 28 days.

Beyond the medical and psychiatric components of care, features of the treatment curriculum include individual, group, and family counseling; drug, alcohol, and gambling addiction education; vocational counseling; recreational/leisure evaluation and activity therapy, and drug-free altered states education. Programs and workshops cover a wide area of self-help topics, such as parenting, self-concept, and coping skills.

Clients receive additional support through aftercare planning, taking place prior to graduation. When necessary, referrals to appropriate outpatient facilities are made, yet all program graduates benefit from follow-ups with the unit’s staff at three, six, and 12 months following discharge.

The treatment team consists of consulting psychiatrists, licensed clinical alcohol and drug counselors (LCADCs), certified alcohol and drug counselors (CADCs), physician/nurse practitioners, and a certified therapeutic recreation specialist.

The Joseph S. Massie Unit is tobacco-free; however, smoking cessation assistance is provided. Amenities include a gym with a weight training system, as well as indoor and outdoor recreational activities. Daily transportation services are also available.

Alumni reviews for the Joseph S. Massie Unit to date are very positive, calling out effective treatment, and compassionate, knowledgeable staff. D.G.D., an alum who was unsure what to expect in their first time in treatment, had their fears quelled from day one. “Everyone was very kind and helpful/supportive. I was also very sick upon arrival there with some other medical conditions which they took care of.” B.B., another alum, gave five stars for the supportive and respective staff, and told Rehabs.com: “It was great, run by people in recovery, so they understood.”

Brian S., who attended Massie twice, similarly told of a staff who “really cares about the well being of the clients, and offered some insight into the reciprocal nature of treatment here: “The program does work if you work it. You just have to be willing to accept the help that is offered.” “They opened [their] doors to me with open arms when I relapsed. I highly recommend the program… It was definitely a life changing experience for me,” he added.

On CiteHealth, an anonymous alum shared their success story: “I spent 28 days at Massie and it’s a great program. The staff is incredibly kind, caring and very professional. The rules are simple and easy… I haven’t been out of Massie long but my self- esteem is high and I am using what I learned and staying tight and doing right.”[1]

Loved ones also gave the facility positive feedback. L.S., whose daughter was in treatment, told Rehabs.com: “Great place to get treatment. People are very nice there.”

Even though their son left treatment early, another anonymous parent praised the unit on CiteHealth: “We want to let you know that we were very pleased with the care and work that your staff tried to bring to our child. His councilor… was wonderful to us, as parents on the outside and as patient as anyone could have been with our son… Even though he was asked to leave, you have been a part and the start of his recovery. Thank you.”[2]

And Dave H., another parent, told Yellowpages.com of the strides his daughter made: “they have seemed to have helped my daughter with her meth addiction lets hope it takes effect and helped her with her nightmares with medication.”[3]

Per the facility’s webpage, “health insurance generally covers the cost of treatment”” and, for those without coverage, sliding scale fees are also on offer.

Updated January 2017

1. http://citehealth.com/reviews/15086

2. http://citehealth.com/reviews/15657

3. http://www.yellowpages.com/cumberland-md/mip/joseph-s-massie-unit-451793725

Published on January 2017

My Husband was here on this facility last year. I went to visit him one time and everything looked good at first!. This people doesn't have enough vigilance on them. When they go to the back yard ,The relatives of these people are throwing cigarettes and maybe drugs at the inmates. It is really sad that you think they are there to recover but while they are there they make fun of the therapists and whoever is watching them. I think they should have more vigilance with the inmates. now my husband is back there unfortunately. I just called to see if my husband is still there and This lady pretty much hang out on me. I think if you want to help a person, you should talk to the other side of the coin. They only say what u want to hear. For a complete recovery there must be a family therapies and u may find the problem. That is why they leave the center and return in months. How many times u listen in the radio or tv that addiction affect the whole family and for them to change the family have to participate and change too, but I don't see family meetings, therapies, I don't see the families getting involve. That should be mandatory not an option. They are manipulators and of course don't want families involved so they don't need to face the reality. I hope one day all this recovery system change and get more serious.

I can not say enough about this facility they were great very friendly and my son Bobby loved everyone there want mention one woman in particular, she was wonderfull

This was my first time in treatment and I was very afraid and did not know what to expect. Everyone was very kind and helpful/supportive. I also was very sick upon arrival there with some other medical conditions which they took care of.

I was at the Massie unit twice. They opened there doors to me with open arms when I relapsed. I highly recommend the program. The staff really cares about the well being of the clients. The program does work if you work it. You just have to be willing to accept the help that is offered. I look forward to returning to The Massie Unit and attending a meeting in the future. It was definitely a life changing experience for me. Thank you to each and every staff member. You helped me begin to live life again, and be grateful for the things I have.

Great place to get treatment. People are very nice there. Helped my daughter a lot.

It was great, run by people in recovery, so they understood.

Waddington Rehab Center
  • 12 step based for both AA and NA
  • Gym/ Exercising room is provided
  • Barbecue grill in our facilities side yard
Arrow Passage Recovery