L.E. Phillips Libertas Treatment Center in Chippewa Falls, WI

Exposure to the Recovery Community
Family Programming

Rehabs.com Editorial Review

ABOUT L.E. PHILLIPS LIBERTAS TREATMENT CENTER

Founded in 1977 as a service of St. Joseph’s Hospital, a hospital founded on Franciscan principles in Chippewa Falls, the L.E. Phillips Libertas Treatment Center offers detox, residential, and outpatient treatment for adults struggling with substance use disorder and mental health disorders. Adolescent treatment is available for this struggling with mental health disorders only. The center is located on the site of St. Joseph’s Hospital, on the northeastern outskirts of Chippewa Falls, near Lake Wissota.

Detox services are for adults only.

Treatment primarily follows the 12-Steps, along with the Matrix Model and motivational interviewing (MI). Clients participate in individual and group therapy, educational sessions, assignments, and leisure activities. A family program offers loved ones the opportunity to develop an improved understanding of addiction and recovery.

The residential program lasts 28 days, and the center also offers a four-week outpatient program, on which the intensity of treatment tapers down as the program progresses, from partial hospitalization to general outpatient. General outpatient treatment is also available outside of the four-week course.

The facility’s website notes that the staff includes “medical staff” and “quality colleagues,” but doesn’t detail their credentials. The five individuals polled to date on the staff’s level of training and experience gave it an average rating of 3.2 out of five stars.

The L.E. Phillips center is a tobacco-free environment, but smoking cessation aids and strategies are provided where necessary. The five individuals polled to date on the center’s cleanliness gave it an average rating of four stars.

Alumni reviews submitted to Rehabs.com to date were mixed. Of the four alumni asked whether they would recommend the center, one would, one would not, and two remained neutral on the question. The same four alumni indicated that treatment itself was adequate, giving the center an average rating of 3.25 out of five stars for the overall effectiveness of its treatment, but that extracurricular activities might be lacking — the center received average ratings of 2.25 stars for its counseling options and 2.75 stars for its exercise options. Alum Brianna commended the center for its honesty, and Kathleen wrote: “Gives a person the opportunity to look at where they r in life and decide if they want to take a look at a different way of living.” Kathleen, however, also added: “Doesn't give good after care instructions and don't help u set up after care at all. It's pretty much like they will take u in if insurance covers u and kicks u out the second it doesnt.”

At the time of this writing, secondary sites yielded just two reviews, both for five stars, and both left on Google.[1] “The best! Still clean after 5 yrs!” Heather wrote, and Todd added: “If you need help, come here!”

All three of the loved ones polled by Rehabs.com to date gave positive feedback. Two of the reviewers described the staff as supportive, and two noted that the program had been helpful for their loved one. “The staff was friendly and supportive. It greatly benefited my father,” an anonymous reviewer wrote, and David added: “Very individual focused. Caring & supportive.” In addition, mother Debbie praised the center’s treatment for young people, writing: “They work very hard with the youth in becoming clean and helping the entire family deal with drug addiction.”

In the only less-than-stellar comment submitted to Rehabs.com by a loved one to date, Debbie wrote that longer-term treatment would have benefitted her son.

According to the organization’s website, the residential program accepts most HMOs, managed care policies, and private insurance policies. The day program accepts all the above, plus Medicaid and Medicare. The four individuals polled to date on the center’s affordability gave it an average rating of 3.5 out of five stars.

Updated November 2016

1. https://goo.gl/kcEXVx

Keeps u busy doing repetitive and too generalized of activities(it's good for a 1st timer). Takes u away from the current using situation and away from using environments/people. Gives a person the opportunity to look at where they r in life and decide if they want to take a look at a different way of living. Doesn't give good after care instructions and don't help u set up after care at all. It's pretty much like they will take u in if insurance covers u and kicks u out the second it doesnt. Maybe because I had been there several times, but it made me feel like, if these professionals don't want to try helping me and if they don't believe I can lead a better life, then why should I think any different from these professionals. The last time worked because I wanted it to so badly, that I was willing to do almost anything to get it. So when I left the facility, I was so upset and going out ofyind, since I was just let go of and told I had to leave since they had no beds open in the inpatient wing (this last time I didn't make it past detox before they released me, without any warning. Prior to that, I was to be moved into inpatient..I'm looked at as a success... From what ive learned, being in and out of tx places for 15yrs, is that doing nothing, gets u nowhere. Doing something, gets u somewhere. Finding love for yourself, gets u everywhere. Once I was able to get some clarity, I was able to see how to apply the tools from my toolbox, into real-life situation s. It will be lonely and feel impossible. That's the sign you're on the right path! I don't have a single using friend left in my phone nor my life. I broke down and told my family and sober friends, all the signs and symptoms of me using and how to tell if I have been. I have signed an agreement with them, that if I am using again, that they have to c it for what it really is, another form of suicide. If I use, the police my family and my tx (treatment) team, have all agreed to do whatever means they have to get me chaptered, and back into the psych ward until they can find a bed at an appropriate facility. I have given those rights away, because I cant trust myself to handle certain things, without hurting myself. I caution people about making new friends in recovery, because that can also be ur minds way of keeping u connected with that environment or with new hookups.

Very good program

Very individual focused. Caring & supportive. They have people from the outside bring in meetings. Also, take their clients to outside recovery events.

Strengths: Honesty and liability. Downfalls: People in it

I would highly recommend

My son went to the Libertas youth center in Green Bay on 2 occasions, not this facility, however, they were not on this list. I assume they operate the same way. They work very hard with the youth in becoming clean and helping the entire family deal with drug addiction. Drug addiction affects everyone, not just the addict. The program was very good, however, I think they can be improved even more with longer inpatient stays. My sons addiction ran deep and for a long period of time. Three weeks in treatment was not near enough. He went back a 2nd time. Even then, I do not believe an additional 3 weeks was enough. I think that with some addicts, the treatment inpatient time needs to be based on each individual and not controlled by insurance. I also believe that finding sponsor is important, but every meeting he went to in different towns, it was hard to find a sponsor. He is trying to stay clean on his own with no sponsor. He went to meetings which eventually he without a sponsor, he didn't feel it was helping. He completed AODA counseling on outpatient status and eventually graduated from high school. He is now trying to remain clean and get his life on track. He wants to go to college for AODA Counseling. He still struggles occasionally with his addiction. It is something addicts will struggle with their whole lives. Libertas Treatment Center is great for helping the addict and families.

Great staff.

The staff was friendly and supportive. It greatly benefited my father.

Serenity Rehab
  • Groups
  • Spirituality
  • SMART Recovery
Midwest Recovery Centers
  • 20 hours of outpatient group weekly
  • Recovery tailored to each individual
  • Long term, multi-phasal treatment