Magnolia Creek Treatment Center for Women in Columbiana, AL

(5 of 5)
162 Magnolia Creek Drive
Columbiana AL 35051

Magnolia Creek Treatment Center for Women Philosophy

Magnolia Creek's programs emphasize self-acceptance, validation, and personal empowerment. As such, we acknowledge the client as the most important member of the treatment team. Treatment at Magnolia Creek is active rather than passive, collaborative rather than imposed, and personal rather than detached. We believe that clients can fully recover, not simply manage, their disorders. In addition to traditional group and individual therapy, our program offers art, movement, recreational, exposure, and cooking groups. Our evidence-based treatment model emphasizes both group and individual therapy. Clients have five to eight weekly individual sessions (with the primary therapist, family therapist, dietitian, psychiatrist, nurse practitioner/nutritional medicine physician, and clinical director), in addition to 20 to 30 hours of group therapy.

• Eating Disorder Treatment
    Many mental health professionals view eating disorders (including anorexia, bulimia and binge eating disorder, along with other dysfunctional eating patterns) as a food addiction – in that food is used in ways other than as fuel or a source of pleasure. Some, but not all, addiction treatment programs include eating disorder treatment as part of the service menu. Also, an eating disorder may be a dual-diagnosis or a co-occurring disorder with drug or alcohol addiction.

• Process Abuse Treatment
    Not all addictions involve mood-altering chemicals. The term “process addiction” describes the unhealthy use of behaviors (including eating, gambling, sexual activity, shopping, internet use, etc.) that has spiraled out of control and into the realm of addiction.

32 acres of land with lake, paddle boat, fire pit and walking trail

Small facility offering individualized care

Family week each month

Rehabs.com Editorial Review

ABOUT MAGNOLIA CREEK TREATMENT CENTER FOR WOMEN

From a lakeside location in rural Alabama, 25 miles southeast of Birmingham, Magnolia Creek offers residential treatment and a partial hospitalization program (PHP) for women 18 and older who are struggling with substance abuse, co-occurring mental and emotional disorders, and/or eating disorders. Medical detox is not available on-site.

Clients are encouraged to take an active role in their own recovery, and, crucially, Magnolia Creek holds that full recovery is possible. That collaborative spirit also aims to draw on clients’ personal strengths in an atmosphere of personal empowerment, acceptance, and validation. The 12-Steps are used, but are not a foundational part of treatment.

Participation in a rigorous counseling schedule is central to the facility’s evidence-based treatment plan. There are 20 to 30 hours of group counseling sessions per week, which address topics such as grief and loss, body appreciation, relapse prevention, relationship issues, and cognitive distortions. Clients have up to three one-on-one counseling sessions a week with a psychiatrist, a primary therapist, a dietician, and/or a family therapist.  Experiential therapies include cooking, art, and equine therapy. In addition, families are invited to attend a monthly family week.

There’s also an LGBT program — though details of this program are not provided — and a dedicated eating disorder program for athletes.

The PHP runs all day, seven days a week, and furnished apartments can be provided for clients who live far away.

Aftercare consists of referrals to community providers and resources, as well as psychoeducational and recovery-protection groups.

According to the facility’s website, staff includes an M.D., a psychologist, a nurse practitioner, social workers, master’s level therapists, a dietitian, and a chef.

This is a 14-bed facility set on 32 acres of land, complete with a lake, a fire pit, and walking trails. All clients share rooms, and an on-site chef, who can accommodate dietary preferences, also conducts a weekly cooking class.

The single review submitted to Rehabs.com at the time of this writing was very positive. B.M. gave the facility five stars for its overall treatment effectiveness, accommodations and amenities, and meals and nutrition. They also praised the center’s aftercare provisions and financial support, writing: “They helped me set up a team to see when I returned home, and checked in with me for a year… They offered me a reduced rate for the time that insurance refused me, it still was more than I can afford though.”

On Indeed, four staffers gave the facility an average rating of 3.8 stars.[1] More than one individual said they learned a lot while working at the facility. “Everyday there is something new I learn from either helping a staff member or them helping me,” one wrote, adding: “The part I love most about this job is taking care of the residents because there so happy about the little things.” Another reviewer commented: “This job is very rewarding. It warms my heart to see these women smile in their darkest moments.” The four reviewers listed hour cuts, staff shortages, healthcare, and the amount of time given for breaks as negative aspects of the job.

This center accepts insurance, and is in-network with Aetna. Treatment costs $500 per day, or $45,000 for 90 days, but reduced daily rates are available for those without insurance coverage.

Updated August 2016

1. http://www.indeed.com/cmp/Magnolia-Creek/reviews

This place was amazing! The staff has changed drastically since I was there, so I don't know if it's still as good, which I say because the reason this place was so great was because of the staff that was there during my stay. The two therapists that made this place what is was are now working outpatient in Birmingham, so maybe the new staff isn't as good... I don't know. The chef is fantastic and works really hard to help make recovery fun and educational. I'd give it a try if you are looking for a treatment center that treats you like a human and works with you where you are at in recovery.

After being sick for over 20 years and attending multiple treatment facilities, I can honestly say that Magnolia Creek changed/saved my life. The staff was both caring and tough. They tried to make meal times as easy as possible and groups were informative and helpful. My only problem with this place is that I did not want to leave!

They helped me set up a team to see when I returned home, and checked in with me for a year. 1.5 years I had a relapse but I don't know if I'd consider it a full blown relapse. More of a few slip ups before finding my footing again. They offered me a reduced rate for the time that insurance refused me, it still was more than I can afford though.

JourneyPure Emerald Coast
  • Medically supervised detox
  • Lighthouse Christian addiction recovery program
  • Alcohol and drug testing services and DUI evaluation
Focus Treatment Centers
  • Alumni programming and aftercare services
  • Whole-person care approach and experssive therapies including art therapy and dance/ movement therapy
  • Weekly nutritionist on-site and professional chef