Malvern Institute in Malvern, PA

940 King Road
Malvern PA 19355

Malvern Institute Philosophy

Current research indicates that for addiction treatment to be effective a patient needs to engage in the treatment process for at least 90 days. At Malvern Institute we provide an evidence-based model of clinical care along with a 12-step approach that will provide engagement and monitoring for at least 90 days. The 12-step approach to recovery is proven, effective, and an invaluable part of our programming. Our goal is to provide a foundation for lifelong recovery and our belief is that by providing our patients with a complete understanding of addiction, they will choose the path of recovery.

• Dual Diagnosis/ Co-Occurring Disorders Treatment

• Medical Detoxification
    Drugs and alcohol have widespread effects throughout your body, including but not limited to the addiction and/or physical/psychological dependence that develops with substance abuse over time. Many organ systems are affected by addiction and will react to withdrawal. The term “medical detoxification” means that there is a trained and licensed medical professional onsite to monitor your vital signs and protect your physical and emotional health as your body goes through withdrawal.

Specialty Workshops

Group Therapy

Gender Specific Groups

ABOUT MALVERN INSTITUTE

Situated on eight acres in Malvern, Pa., a rural suburb of Philadelphia, Malvern Institute’s flagship location provides 12-step and trauma-informed care for adults with addictive and co-occurring disorders. Though clinical programming is guided by the research-based belief that that successful treatment requires “at least 90 days,” this specific facility, one of a handful of inpatient programs run by Malvern, offers a combined 106 beds for residential treatment and detox only.

For clients seeking additional support, Malvern Institute operates six intensive outpatient (IOP) programs throughout New Jersey and Pennsylvania.

Malvern Institute combines education, evidence-based therapy models, specialty workshops, and 12-step principles and support. Prior to treatment, clients may begin with an 8-day detox program, where they’ll be met 24-hour medical support and an unmatched 82 hours of psychiatric care per week.

Designed as the most intensive care option, residential treatment typically lasts between two and four weeks. Throughout their stay, residents meet with their assigned therapist twice weekly and participate in three small, specialized daily groups covering chronic pain, grief and loss, relapse prevention, and more. After dinner, clients pick up with gender-specific meetings, on-site AA and NA meetings, and downtime and 11:00 p.m. lights out to follow.

Loved ones interested in learning more about the recovery process may join the facility for educational seminars and a minimum of two family sessions. Proud of its thriving alumni community, the organization hosts sober brunches, camping trips, 12-step meetings, and other events in and around Philadelphia.

Ranging from nursing, medical, and clinical backgrounds, all Malvern professionals have specialized training in substance addiction treatment. Full-time psychiatrists and master’s level clinicians are on staff.

ACCOMMODATIONS AND AMENITIES

Three meals and a snack are served daily. Cigarettes are permitted, but electronic devices are not. Though there is limited additional information regarding the 85-bed residential center, 23 Rehabs.com reviewers to date gave an average rating of 3.6 out of five stars for accommodations.

About three quarters of the 20 personal accounts shared with Rehabs.com as of this writing are positive.

On the positive side, alumni collectively celebrated the “knowledgeable,” “caring,” and “involved” counselors. “From the director on down. everyone was in some form of recovery. Doctors included,” alum Kirk commented.

Some even claimed the facility provided them with a renewed sense of purpose and direction in their lives. Susan, who went on to pursue certification in addictions counseling to help others, is one such example. “Changed my life! Started me on the road to sobriety. I had a very positive and effective experience,” she exclaimed. J.D., another alum, felt similarly: “It is an amazing place with great help and it saved my life. Great program.”

Yet others felt that Malvern could improve its holistic programming. “Not many leisure activities,” wrote Emma, though she liked the food here. Even D.B., who referred to Malvern Institute as a “very comfortable facility that facilitated excellent recovery,” reported having “no exercise options.”

For V.M. shared their less-than-ideal experience here: “There were many young (18 to 20s) people at this facility. As an older (late 40s) person, I felt that much time was wasted on policing immature adults and less focus on treatment,” they wrote. “I also think a little more one-on-one counseling would have been helpful,” another anonymous alum reported.

Much in contrast to alumni, five out of the eight individuals to have shared details on their family member’s experiences were disappointed with Malvern in some way or another.

John, for example, immediately pulled his wife from Malvern barely into her second week in treatment. “My first visit, she looked and felt as she did after 9 days!” “Please do you, research before putting your loved one here,” John implored others.

Ral, the parent of a client, felt the facility “Never listened” and was “all about the money,” while another reviewer called the staff here were “confused” and the treatment “quite ineffective. In two words: “Very disappointing.”

On the flip side, reviewers noted that treatment was indeed effective for their spouses. “No nonsense, set limits and stuck to them,” reported April on her husband’s 30-day stay here. Another anonymous reviewer observed that three months in treatment helped her husband “think of others instead of just himself.”

This facility accepts private insurance and options for self-payment.

Updated February 2017

Published on February 2017

The facility is a complete dump in a 1920's era building with zero upgrades. Rooms are bare bones, awful beds and zero natural light or anywhere in the building. Food is awful. Clinical staff only want to extend your stay to get more from your insurance whether it is the right choice or not. I would NEVER, EVER stay at this dump again. Awful people and only out to line their own pockets. Worst ever.

The facility may have some points however we did not find them. The counselors were not motivated to a scared and vulnerable patient. The communication is horrible with family even with full consent. As I completely understand the person should help themselves but by taking the steps to come and then not pushed to do the right thing is basically setting them up to fail. The facility should look into other programs and learn from them, as we now work with a program that is working.

We waited over 4 hours to have a loved one admitted to the Willow Grove location. Insurance was verified at the beginning of the week but made us wait another three hours to call it in again. Staff was friendly. No admission should take over 4 hours. Makes you feel that they don't know what they are doing. Leaves a bad first impression. Perhaps they are still working out the kinks since it is a newer rehab. Next time let the family and patient know up front that the admission time is over 4 hours despite having secure a bed and authorized insurance way in advance..

The first 25 hours I was completely ignored! Most of the nurses were awful! We the patients were belittled, humiliated, judged or ignored by the nurses...As for the staff, few good ones but the others were pretty awful! Felt like I was in prison! As for the music, loud rap blasting! Thought I was in a night club for 21 and under. My withdrawal was a nightmare and not at one point did I get any relief from any of the medication they gave me. Complained and begged for help but received nothing but sarcasm and brushed off!...Go to Valley Forge if you truly want help and safety!

I dropped my wife off thinking she was in good hands! My first visit, she looked and felt as sick as she did after 9 days! Took her immediately out and took her to Valley Forge! She is finally in good hands and getting the proper treatment! Please do you, research before putting your loved one in here! Malvern should be closed down!

Allentown out patient is awful. The guy that runs it stinks!!!

Stay away!!! Awful. Awful. Awful.

I would not recommend. Never listened. Counselor took cell calls during our family meeting. We asked them to get daughter in lining term rehab . Said if she wants drugs she will find anywhere. Told first day she needed signed up for medical assistance because losing insurance wait until day before discharge. Told had to have Vivitrol shot before coming home sent home without shot. They called morning of discharge to make sure that on same page. I was to pick up after work and she had to wait.thdn they send her home on a van . They are all about the money

Strengths: faculty, admissions and discharge, detox care, medical, group therapy, daily scheduling.Weaknesses: Not many leisure activites. I was admitted to this facility the day I decided to seek treatment. The staff was very warm and welcoming. They were also non-judgmental. Staff were professional and kept a lookout at all times. Food was good as well as treatments. Each day was scheduled almost to the T. Many groups per day on addiction, co-occurring, art therapy, meditation, AA/NA groups, etc. The was my first rehab and hopefully last. I have currently been sober 1 year and 3 months!

It's kind of comfortable and attractive. Staff confused and treatment proved quite ineffective. Very disappointing; overrated !!

No nonsense, set limits and stuck to them. Very willing to speak and work with family members after patient gives permission. Mental health evaluation did not take place due to scheduling even though my husband requested this over his month long stay. Facility was excellent, my husband stayed a full 30 days (despite our awful insurance company) He then completed 2 months of outpatient.

Friendliness, acceptance, meetings. Lack of enough staff, lack of adequate (minimal) psychiatric care, lack of family involvement. I had an overall good experience. My 28 days there could have been improved by doing more family counseling and having better access to a psychiatrist for proper medications. The staff was nice and most cared a lot about their jobs, but there wasn't enough staff.

Close to Home which was a strength. Bathrooms NOT clean! Consulars were not always avaliable

Most of the consuelors were addicts themselves, so they could relate better. Food, except for the breakfast was very bad. There was not enough one on one, you really had to want to get better and seek out your own counsel and advisors.

They focused on each person separately for their needs, nice place. My husband was there for a 3 month program. Came out a lot better, made him think of others instead of just himself. They wanted him to come back and be a councelor.

attended counsel sessions Pottstown & I would never refer anyone to their service. For a facility that should be focused on care & helpfulness to the people they counsel I felt no help at all. No phone calls to tell you sessions were cancelled or no advice to finish counsel sessions. Felt this facility more based on how money they could get out of you. In fact still owed $65 which I'll never receive

In a word, TERRIBLE!!! Find another rehab facility.

It was good.

The Counselors were all very caring and involved. Could use some dehumidifiers or something to get out the musty/moldy smell of the carpets. I found the treatment fair, not enjoyable, but fair. I chose to take this treatment on my own, unlike so many others who were forced by law or an intervention. Also unlike many of the other patients, I was really there to receive very wanted help. They helped me achieve what I could not accomplish on my own. I will be forever grateful.

My son was discharged without any type of after care plan. We were told a plan was in place, but not surprised there wasn't since there was no communication at all during his stay. Sad my son wasted his time here, now he's looking for another facility for IOP when he should have been in IOP today.

The staff, schedule, nutrition and location were all wonderful. However, the facility may be a little too small. The staff and their connection with surrounding communities are impressive.

It was a very comfortable facility that facilitated excellent recovery. However, there were no exercise options.

The counselors were excellent. It could have been a little cleaner. I also think a little more one-on-one counseling would have been helpful.

The people at the facility seem to care about their patients. The facility is well kept and in a nice, homey location. The people there are very friendly. A downfall of the facility is that because it is small, there have been times it was full when my family member needed to be admitted.

I liked the facility and it was close to my home. All of the counselors were in recovery. It has been 27 years since I was there; I had a really good time and loved the staff. Has it changed? I don't know.

There were many young (18 to 20s) people at this facility. As an older (late 40s) person, I felt that much time was wasted on policing immature adults and less focus on treatment. Strengths were the caring staff and the clean facility. A weakness was the individual treatment.

Changed my life! Started me on the road to sobriety. I had a very positive and effective experience. The staff was knowledgable and caring. I didn't know much about addiction prior to entering treatment. I learned a lot during my stay, and twelve years later, (and nine years clean & sober), still look back with admiration on the staff. I attend meetings, have a sponsor, and sponsor other women. I've pursued certification in addictions counseling, and hope to finish within a year. I want to be able to help others due to my years of sobriety, and the help of the counselors at M.I.

It is an amazing place with great help and it saved my life. Great program

Overall,very effective

My family member went and doesnt want to go back

Victory Bay Recovery Center