Michiana Behavioral Health in Plymouth, IN

1800 North Oak Drive
Plymouth IN 46563

Michiana Behavioral Health Philosophy

Michiana Behavioral Health provides individualized psychiatric care and chemical dependency treatment for adolescents and adults. Menu of care options include assessment, detoxification, residential treatment, family counseling, addiction education, discharge planning and aftercare. The program adheres to the 12-Steps. and twice-weekly AA meetings are held onsite.

• Client & Family Support Groups
    Group therapy is a vital component of addiction recovery treatment, considered as important and effective (sometimes even more so) than individual therapy. Benefits include reducing isolation and loneliness and providing the opportunity to learn from others in recovery. In the addiction setting, group therapy is run by trained professionals who guide participants toward a shared goal of recovery.

• Dual Diagnosis/Co-Occurring Disorders Treatment

Licensed Suboxone Provider

Adult Detox inpatient

Adult Mental Health inpatient

Rehabs.com Editorial Review

ABOUT MICHIANA BEHAVIORAL HEALTH

Located in a serene, wooded setting in Plymouth, Ind., Michiana Behavioral Health is a substance abuse and mental health treatment center for children, adolescents, and adults. The facility primarily offers short-term inpatient, detox services for adults, and longer-term residential for children and teens ages six through 17. As Michiana is a mental health treatment center, those with co-occurring mental health conditions are welcomed.

According to the facility’s website, communication between clients, family members, and the treatment team is paramount. A comprehensive assessment is given upon intake to ensure that each individual receives the proper level of care. The range of services provided in the short-term inpatient program includes daily visits with psychiatrist, family therapy and education, 24-hour nursing care, group psychotherapy, group psychoeducation, expressive therapy, and comprehensive discharge planning.

If longer-term treatment is required, children aged six to 12 and adolescents aged 13 to 17 may be placed in an age-appropriate residential program. Both tracks host developmental workshops on topics such as anger management, social engagement, and communication, as well as utilize cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and expressive arts therapy. The school components of these residential programs are fully accredited with licensed teachers.

Family involvement is incorporated in all programs so that loved ones have access to information about substance abuse, mental health disorders, and behavioral health hospitalization practices in general.

Family involvement is incorporated into all programs.

The treatment team is comprised of board-certified and child-trained physicians and psychiatrists, as well master’s-level therapists and clinicians.

There is limited information available regarding the facility’s living arrangements and amenities; however, the facility is tobacco-free and does not have private rooms available.

Michiana Behavioral Health received widely mixed reviews from alumni, skewing negatively. While Rehabs.com survey respondents gave high marks to the “terrific counselors,” “nice food,” and “affordable treatment,” others complained of “stripped down” rooms, unhealthy meals, and a one-size-fits-all model. For instance, an anonymous alum wrote: “They do not treat everyone as individuals - they treat everyone exactly the same and people are not the same nor are their problems the same.” Alumni E.E.S. and B.M. went into further detail with this point of view, each citing that they spent most of their time “sitting in a room all day.”

E.E.S. continued to describe the general attitude of the facility, writing: “I, as a teenage, decided it would be best to admit myself here about five months ago… I'm a good kid, who went for depression issues. What I got was an equivalent to prison… They were mean and said what they wanted to the kids, many of which should have been treated with more kindness. I hated it there.”

On the positive side, Randall, who attended the rehab for co-occurring substance use and mental health disorders, reported to Rehabs.com: “It was everything I needed but could have had better aftercare. It was not easy but it opened my eyes, taught me more about myself, and gave me hope for change."

Reviews from the loved ones surveyed by Rehabs.com were fairly negative. The effectiveness of the substance abuse treatment program was called into question, with overall ratings averaging two out of five and multiple loved ones citing careless prescription practices. One anonymous reviewer wrote: “My daughter has been going 12-13 years off and on and is getting no better.”

There's currently no specific information available on pricing via the facility's website. Michiana Behavioral Health accepts most commercial insurance plans, as well as Medicare, Managed Medicaid (Indiana), HIP (Healthy Indiana Plan), and Tricare.

Updated December 2016

Published on December 2016

Give this place a try. The staff is friendly and caring and understand why you are there. They guide you through the steps to get better and help you learn the items that you need to be successful once you leave. I am an adult that came out feeling better but I learned about Michiana Behavioral Health because a friends child went there and said that it was a very good and helpful place to be.

I came out of MBH a changed woman with the confidence and strength that I didn't know I had. I will be forever grateful that I was accepted into your program

I was just discharged last week and I am in a much better place mentally than from when I went in. They gave me the tools to move forward on my own and set my outpatient appointment up for me to make sure I remain on the right path. Thank you to all!!!

Thanks to everyone at MBH. I felt love and support from the lunch ladies, the doctors, the case workers, and the techs. With your support and caring, you helped me through a very dark time in my life. Thanks again...you put me on the right path.

My daughter was just there last week and because of the negative reviews, I wanted to know what she thought-she liked it. She felt safe there and had a positive time there. But most of all from me and my husbands view is that we see a change in her from when she went in there.

We had a good experience with BHC. Our 17 year old son had 3 acute stays and a 7 month residential stay. He is doing better than he has been in a year. There are things that we would change but overall BHC served its purpose with a positive outcome for our family. I would recommend BHC if you find your family in a situation where your child needs this kind of service.

Terrible place. Unwilling to help others and kicked out another agency bringing a child in. Rude and demeaning. Should not be allowed to service children or others in the community.

We are always interested in feedback. If you would like to discuss this further please feel free to reach out to me. We appreciate your time and information you have to share

I, as a teenage, decided it would be best to admit myself here about five months ago. I knew I has a lot of issues and had attempted suicide twice, and made the decision myself to be admitted. This was a huge mistake. I still have nightmares and get stressed easily thinking of this place. There were 30 or so children my age all living together constantly. There were no healing activities. Everything on the daily schedule was a lie. We got up early, went into a crammed room fit for 10 people, and watched some TV or sat with nothing to do... We were there for hours everyday, with one person watching and not giving any treatment or lesson. We would go to lunch, in which they'd yell at us on the way for talking and tell us they would take away our phone calls and eating time. I wanted to cry, constantly. I'm a good kid, who went for depression issues. What I got was an equivalent to prison. You were never alone, even in safe areas. None of the staff, besides the nurses, were trained. They were mean and said what they wanted to the kids, many of which should have been treated with more kindness. I hated it there. I don't even want to go fully into it, I get so angry. It was a warehouse for kids, not a treatment center. I would've been healthier, safer, and happier being dropped off in an abandoned alley.

I was there for 4 days and 3 nights and it was horrible. The staff is not helpful at all, there we're maybe 3-4 staff members that actually seemed to care . I didn't talk to anyone, a doctor, a social worker, or therapist. It was mainly sitting in a room all day, even group therapy was bad because we would get yelled at for expressing our views and opinions. The food was terrible. everything was processed and there was no 'actual' food besides a salad bar. I was there four days and didn't eat anything real. I strongly don't recommend this facility.

I strongly do not recommend this place. Nobody there will take responsibility for there actions. They pass the buck to the next person. They released my daughter after I begged them not to. They put her on meds without contacting me. My daughter is right back doing what she was doing before.

The only complaint I have is that the food stinks

When i went there it was scary but most of the MTs made it pretty comfortable. My only complaint is they can be sexist . Im Bisexual and there were alot of Trans And pansexuals there. And one of the MTs just thought we were all confused about our sexuality. Another thing is that you cant hug other people. Me? i find comfort in hugs Male or Female and thats restricted. They will sit there and scream at you when you touch someone. And if they see you cry Dont expect them to pull you out and dry your tears cause that wont happen.The medical techs (most of them) care and will sit down with you if you need it. And try to get with you on a real level and try to find ways to cope or make your situation better. And if they cant they will find someone that can. Me? ill probaly be back soon which doesnt help either. I wish they would keep up and check up on you after you get out out make sure your okay.

As a grandma I was trying to reach my grandson and by policy and procedures they did not allow me to. They go by code and list, as a grandma I believe that is bs. because just to get info or to get ideas of what happened to my grandson I am far far miles away from him. They should have a better system like being able to talk to the person who calls over the phone.

Everything was downfall.

young man, doesn't think before he acts,in sp. ed now but no better,also under house arrest. whatever $ available from insurance was charged. children need individualized tx. plans,more help in school, less go with the flow problem handling

Terrific counselors, nice food. For those who don't have insurance, this would be unaffordable.

Strengths: nice grounds, easy to get to. Weaknesses: they seem to give my daughter too many medications she has been going for almost 15 years and is getting worse. My daughter has been going 12-13 years off and on and is getting no better. She craves prescription drugs and seems to be able to beat the system.

The facility was okay.

This place is shady ... Beware of these people. They are unscrupulous snakes.

They do not treat everyone as individuals - they treat everyone exactly the same and people are not the same nor are their problems the same. Yet everyone is treated alike. Not a good treatment plan nor good for a patient in a psyche facility. It promised nutritious meals and almost all meals were fried or carbs. The rooms were stripped down, and we were not allowed access too them except at night to sleep. There was no quite room, only a group room. No place to go to get away from the noise. Adults had to put up with the kids who would curse at us, kick us, flip us off, spit on us as we went from our unit to the cafeteria or the gym (we had to walk through their unit. It was very horrible.

It was everything I needed but could have had better aftercare. It was not easy but it was opened my eyes. Taught me more about myself and gave me hope for change.

Choices Recovery