(4 of 5)
1400 Reynolds Avenue, Suite 200
Irvine CA 92614

Morningside Recovery Philosophy

Everything our clients need for recovery under one roof right here in South Orange County, Irvine. Clients engage in the best clinical offerings at our Addiction Treatment Center including Holistic, Evidence-Based, Faith Oriented, Experiential, 12-Step and Non-12 step options. Care is delivered within a person-centered model that seeks to recognize each individual’s needs, preferences, and strengths.

• Intensive Outpatient
    Patients who undergo intensive outpatient treatment continue to live at home and sometimes go to school or work while participating in a highly structured treatment protocol that is focused on ending substance abuse. Programs vary in terms of how much treatment patients receive, how often and for how long. Some facilities design individualized intensive outpatient treatment programs.

• Individualized Treatment
    Some facilities have an addiction treatment protocol that all patients or clients are expected to follow, while others customize or individualize treatment based on a person’s unique needs and circumstances. Factors that may affect treatment decisions include age, lifestyle, medical conditions, type of drug, religious beliefs, etc.

Experiential Twelve-Step

Holistic

PHP - Day Treatment

Reanna Carr, MS, LMFT

Clinical Director

Reanna Carr graduated from Cal State Fullerton with a B.S. in psychology and a Masters in Counseling. She has over ten years of experience providing treatment for people struggling with addiction and mental health issues. She has worked directly with clients as a primary therapist, program coordinator, and director of the family program, before being promoted to Clinical Director.

Joel Edwards

Executive Director

Joel launched his behavioral health career at Morningside Recovery as an Addictions Counselor in 2010. Since that time he has served as Director of Experiential Education, Director of Marketing, and in 2013 was promoted to Executive Director.

Rehabs.com Editorial Review

ABOUT MORNINGSIDE RECOVERY – IRVINE

Morningside Recovery operates three treatment facilities in California, Texas, and Arizona. This center in Irvine, Calif., offers residential, luxury day treatment, and outpatient programs for substance abuse, co-occurring mental and behavioral disorders, and process addictions. Detox is not available on-site, but there are dedicated treatment programs for first responders and LGBT-identifying clients.

According to the center’s website, Morningside Recovery’s programs are not based on the 12-Steps, but clients who wish to include 12-step principles in their recovery are accommodated. Those seeking alternatives to 12-step treatment can participate in SMART Recovery and/or LifeRing programs.

In the first stage of treatment, clients undergo a psychiatric evaluation. Next, they enter day treatment, which combines two hours of individual therapy per week with group therapy, academic support, vocational training, and resume-building services; there are over 60 groups to choose from. Outdoor adventure therapies include surfing lessons, and loved ones are encouraged to participate in a family program.

The outpatient programs are available as step-downs for clients who have already completed the day treatment program. The intensive outpatient program (IOP) consists of three hours of programming a day, and general outpatient care meets three hours a week. Sessions in the general outpatient program use dialectical behavior therapy (DBT), motivational interviewing (MI), and meditation.

Alumni events include meetings, dinners, and outdoor events.

According to the facility’s website, staff includes master’s and Ph.D. level therapists. There are also case managers and holistic therapy providers, including a Tai Chi instructor and an acupuncturist.

Morningside Recovery’s website states the 40,000-square-foot facility has a gym, a lounge, a mindfulness studio, and an art therapy room. Pets are welcome on-campus.

The more than 10 alumni who were polled by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing provided mixed reviews.

Multiple alumni gave the center five out of five stars in multiple categories including treatment effectiveness, and wrote about their positive experience with Morningside Recovery.

“Morningside is a great place, they have individualized treatment programming, great groups, and staff who truly cares. This facility saved my life,” Amanda wrote. Michael echoed Amanda, and wrote: “Morningside recovery saved my life. When I got into treatment I had lost everything.”

More than one negative reviewer felt that too much emphasis was placed on money. “They are very greedy. It took forever to see a doctor,” said M.M., and J.W. wrote: “This place is all about their money, not your recovery.” More than one reviewer also described treatment as “inept.”

Reviews posted to secondary sources demonstrate similarly polarized opinions. To date, the 15 people who left reviews for the Irvine facility on Yelp gave the center an average 2.5 out of five stars.[1]

To date, the two loved ones polled by Rehabs.com offered mostly positive feedback for the center.

“They staff was very helpful, the facilities were beautiful and the location was wonderful,” a loved one wrote.

The other survey respondent provided no commentary, but gave a five-star rating for family participation and three stars for the staff’s level of experience and training.

The five staff members polled by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing gave the highest possible score for the facility’s treatment of co-occurring disorders. They also indicated that they would recommend the facility to their own friends and family.

“They teach the skills necessary to stay sober after leaving,” M.M. wrote. Another staff member, Kevin agreed. “Clients come from all over to find a life in recovery. Clients find what works for them here,” he wrote.

CONCLUSION

Morningside Recovery only accepts out-of network insurance.

In 2011, a Morningside client died after being transferred to a detox facility in nearby Costa Mesa without his parents' knowledge. Following legal action from the victim's family, Morningside settled out of court. Local news reported that in the detox facility's court case: "The jury assigned 20 percent of the blame for Brandon Jacques’ death to Morningside Recovery and 80 percent of the blame to [detox facility] First House LLC."

A spokesperson for Morningside said: "I would ...reiterate that Morningside has never had a client die while in or under its care and we look forward to the opportunity to defend these meritless allegations.”

Updated March 2017

1. https://www.yelp.com/biz/morningside-recovery-irvine-4

I really enjoyed my morningside experience. They did everything they could to help me stay sober. I am really grateful for this program.

I love the staff and the psychological help they have to offer. Morning side really changed my life around.

I really enjoyed my time here at Morningside it was by far the best experiences of my life and honestly gave me back my life. I can't thank them enough :)

This place saved my life! Amazing staff and facilities are brand new. The sober houses are nice as well. Great community and very thorough treatment.

Morningside Recovery saved my life and helped me get back on track to sobriety. They offer individualized treatment plans and alternatives to the traditional 12 step recovery model. My therapist and the rest of the staff, including support staff, truly cared about my well being and success in sobriety.

I love Morningside recovery. Relapse was apart of my story after I got a year sober my first time rolling through MSR, but after a few months out, I knew where home was when I was ready to pick myself back up. My favorite part about MSR is the groups they have to offer. EMDR saved my life they have the best therapist ever. The staff is incredibly professional here and am so thankful and blessed to be alumni to such a loving family.

So where to begin.....the staff was great!!! my therapist open so many doors for me. I always knew i had issues but figure so did everyone else.And thought.... they dont affect me(but actually they infected my very being). this place help me so much!!!!!!

It was absolutely amazing, it changed my life so much! I am now back better than absolutely ever. I literally would describe my recovery as nothing short of a miracle and it really all began when I entered morningside this time one year ago.

My experience at Morningside was life changing. Was it the end of my journey and struggle? No. What Morningside did give me however, was the strength to keep fighting it. I was broken, lost and close to giving up before walking through these doors. I have gained skills, mindsets and support here that I will carry on with me for the rest of my life. Morningside gave me hope towards my future.

Do not go into any treatment that allows there staff to write a review

I was at Morningside for four months. I had a pretty good time there until 30 clients including myself for discharged for insurance reasons and had three days to pack our stuff and find somewhere else to go completely unexpectedly. At the same time, they were moving everyone out of their houses with no notice as well. It was a very stressful end to my mostly positive stay. As others have said, this place is extremely money hungry. I overheard a meeting of the higher ups as it was going on right outside of my apartment where they were speaking of the clients as if we were animals. They don't care about the individual for the most part. I did encounter a few staff members that truly did care though. I have mixed feelings about Morningside but I would not recommend to a loved one.

Morning side is a great place but at the sober living houses they put you in there are aunts rats and the staff doesnt repremend the clients that are flithy and help bring more bugs into the houses and also they stuff you into little rooms and expect you to have enough room for all you're stuff they dont give you much to work with. Then they threaten you with sending you out to the tustin propertys if you're in costa mesa where you're out in no mans land so if you don't drive you're screwed, and have to take a bus or bike to get anywhere, If you complain to much about the way they got you living. I literally just had a aunt crawling on my hand on to my phone while writing this... and its not just me the other people here have complained about the bug issue n nothing gets done. So people that are clean have to live in filth.

I had been to four different treatment centers and now I also work at one (Beachside Recovery Center); Morningside was the best treatment center I have ever had any experience with in my opinion. I went there and got a high level of therapy from my therapist and I enjoyed the variation of groups that can be attended to throughout the day. Also, their gym is incredible and I was able to get back into working out which I still continue till today. I have a year and four months sober thanks to Morningside.

The owners of Morningside are money hungry. Their marketing scheme is to poach clients from other facilities. With complete disregard for their wellbeing, these clients are inticed into moving to California for money in their pocket and false promises. Solid and genuine recovery is built upon integrity. These people make me sick.

Disorganized, unqualified, and totally inept. Would not recommend to anyone.

Worked with us to help our son with aspergers, ADHD, depression, anxiety and addiction. They staff was very helpful, the facilities were beautiful and the location was wonderful. However, it was very expensive.

Absolutely inept and terrible. It should not be open. I relapsed almost immediately after. Please do not go here and be very careful about places like this. They only want your money and that's it. Only positive is that the facility was clean.

They are very greedy. It took forever to see a doctor ...

Enjoyed the connectivity and family involvement. I would recommend this facility to others.

There is no shame in coming back and getting help. We are very welcoming. Client care and family involvement are strengths of Morningside Recovery.

There is extended care.

Open model. Over 55 different groups/therapies a week, plus individual therapy twice a week.

I've learned a lot about myself here and I have benefited from the groups and individual therapy.

Morningside is a great place, they have individualized treatment programming, great groups, and staff who truly cares. This facility saved my life.

Family owned center that places an emphasis on the unique needs of each client. Clients come from all over to find a life in recovery. Clients find what works for them here. There is an adventure, academic,and vocational programs as well. PPO insurance accepted. 2:1 staff ratio.

Most clinically comprehensive program with over 45 groups a week. Morningside Recovery is more than just an addiction treatment center. They teach the skills necessary to stay sober after leaving.Being a family owned facility, Morningside understands the importance of family values and demonstrates this in their program.

Morningside recovery saved my life. When I got into treatment I had lost everything. Morningside helped me gain a sense of hope. The staff helped me repair the damage I had caused to my family and friends and helped me build a better way of life. I owe my life to morningside.

This place is all about their money, not your recovery...they'll tell you anything to get you in the door and the money rolling in. But the reality is far different. They don't hire enough staff to run their groups so they shuttle people off to AA meetings, no matter what their addiction or mental problems are. Their therapists are only comfortable with handling drug or alcohol issues; anything else seems beyond them. In my time there, they moved me to three different apartments in one week so they could stuff more clients in, and did so without any concern for how upsetting or unstablizing that was...I wasn't the only one having problems there...their living and clinical buildings are grubby and crowded. If you are having problems with addiction or mental issues, don't add to your problems by wasting your time or money here!

AToN Center