405 Kimball Avenue
Salem VA 24153

Mount Regis Center Philosophy

Mount Regis Center – a 27-bed, fully accredited and licensed drug and alcohol treatment center located in historic Salem, Virginia – offers a structured inpatient recovery plan tailored to each individual client. Mount Regis’ team of caring and dedicated providers knows that recovery is both an individual and community undertaking. Many of the staff members at Mount Regis have at one time battled addiction themselves, and can easily empathize with clients who have chosen to travel the bumpy road to recovery. At Mount Regis, clients will discover a calming and inviting environment in which to realize their potential, and move towards a fulfilling life free from drugs and alcohol.

• Holistic Therapy
    Facilities that offer “holistic therapy” see and treat patients in the context of their entire lives and health status. They treat the “whole person,” not just the addiction.

Low Ropes Therapy

Acudetox

Equine Therapy

Mukesh P. Patel, M.D.

Medical Director

Mukesh P. Patel, M.D. is a psychiatrist and addictionologist. He has been serving as the medical director of Mount Regis Center since 1985. As the medical director, Dr. Patel is primarily responsible for overseeing the medical care of all inpatient and outpatient clients. He provides the facility with oversight of all detox tapers, conducts all patient histories and physical examinations, provides medical supervision, and is actively engaged in all programming decisions.

Bonnie Stewart, LPC

Clinical Director

Bonnie Stewart, LPC has been a member of the Mount Regis Center team, since November 2011 and was recently promoted to clinical director, where she is responsible for oversight of inpatient and outpatient treatment services. Ms. Stewart ensures that professional services plans, policies and procedures are in compliance with all regulatory agency requirements, monitors quality improvement and evaluation activities, plans, assigns, supervises and evaluates clinical activities performed by the members of the counseling department, interfaces with referral sources and the admissions department, serves as the primary counselor for all direct admissions to IOP services, and conducts group, individual and family counseling sessions.

Rehabs.com Editorial Review

ABOUT MOUNT REGIS CENTER

Located in the outskirts of Salem, Va., only 20 minutes from historic Roanoke, Mount Regis Center provides substance abuse and co-occurring mental health treatment services. Treatment options include inpatient, day treatment, and intensive outpatient programming. Medically monitored detox services are available here.

According to the center’s website, residential treatment programming lasts 40 days for young adults, and up to 45 days for adults, depending on each client’s specific needs.

The 12-step based residential program incorporates individual, group, and family counseling, and emphasizes physical fitness through trips to a local gym three times a week. Clients are engaged in educational topics such as grief and loss, relapse prevention, stress management, and conflict resolution. For the young adult residential program, which treats individuals ages 18 to 25, peer support is encouraged, and equine therapy, art, yoga, and a ropes course are also incorporated into programming.

Following a similar format, the partial hospitalization program (PHP) is geared towards clients who require a more moderate level of care, enabling them to stay at home.

The facility’s intensive outpatient program (IOP) takes place three nights a week, three to four hours per night. With a focus on helping clients integrate back into their communities, roughly five weeks of the IOP assists clients in accessing stable employment and sober support networks.

Free for three months, aftercare services provide continued support through various events.

Mount Regis Center prides itself on its staff. Led by a medical doctor who is a psychiatrist and addictionologist, the multidisciplinary treatment team consists of clinicians, social workers, certified addiction counselors, nurses, and recovery coaches, according to the center’s website.

The 25-bed facility provides a comfortable but modest environment for recovery. Phone usage is limited to certain nights after 9:00 p.m., and laundry machines are available at no additional charge.

The seven alumni polled by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing provided mostly favorable reviews. All alumni indicated they would recommend Mount Regis Center, and many alumni praised the staff in their reviews.

An anonymous alum, for instance, found the staff members friendly. “I would happily recommend this facility as they helped on my journey to sobriety immeasurably,” they wrote.

Another anonymous alum polled by Rehabs.com described their experience as “incredibly helpful,” they wrote. “Overall, I enjoyed my time there and learned a lot.”

“They treated me with coutesy and respect,” Lisa wrote. “Had very good counseling sessions.”

To date, of the eight loved ones polled by Rehabs.com, one provided a negative review, two left neutral feedback, and five loved ones provided positive reviews.

The loved ones indicated that Mount Regis Center’s treatment is effective provided that the individual must be willing to put in the effort. For example, an anonymous reviewer wrote: "The person entering treatment must want to get better; if not, the facility cannot do it for them. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink." Regardless, at least three reviewers specifically cited the high quality of staff.

Nancy, however, was frustrated with how the center managed her daughter’s care, mentioning “false advertising.” Another reviewer thought there wasn’t enough family participation — this metric received an average rating of three out of five stars based on feedback from five reviewers.

The one staff member surveyed by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing provided a mostly positive review, and gave the center four out of five stars when asked if they would recommend Mount Regis Center.

They gave the center four stars in a number of categories including counseling options, and the staff’s level of experience and training. Yet, they rated the center holistic offerings and the visitor policy the worst with two stars.

“I know that the programs here worked by the success stories we had,” they wrote.

The center’s website notes Mount Regis Center accepts private-pay and most major insurances, but does not work with Medicare or Medicaid. Financing is available via American Healthcare Lending.

Updated March 2017

Published on April 2017

The entire, incredible staff at Mt. Regis are exceptional...My life was saved and peace and serenity are a way of life for me now...I found my way spiritually and emotionally with a clarity that I never thought I would ever know. The best place to feel safe and in harmony with my Higher Power...I cannot say enough wonderful things about this place...God BLESS you all at Mt. Regis!!!

I successfully completed the 28 day program. Never gone to rehab, I didn't know what to expect. Full day helpful sessions, good food, personal counselors, caring medical staff, and weekend activities helped me focus on the present instead of missing home. But here again, I WANTED help...I was never ORDERED to attend. If you are on the fence about treatment, THIS FACILITY IS THE ONE to enter.

Amazing care...I walked in scared to death only to find how nice and welcoming everyone was! I was only there for detox but the care was exceptional and around the clock. Recommend this to anyone and everyone. Strict but only to a certain extent..mainly to prevent any infiltration of substances possibly brought in by patients. Most of the employees were addicts at one time and gave honest advice based on experience! I wish I could have afforded to stay for the whole 28 days but just the 5 days of detox I was there gave me an understanding of how important it is to get help if you need it. Would like to thank each and everyone there that I had an encounter with for being a smiling face and uplifting me to better myself. Great food, smoking if needed, and top of the line care! I felt as if I was a guest in there home. The groups and reading material can guide anyone that really wants to get clean and stay clean gives you a sense of hope and how to analyze certain situations and disorders and how to manage them. A++ . Stay clean and get the help you need at mount Regis recovery and health!

This place is so wonderful. My husband was there 4 yrs ago and unfortunately now my daughter is there. This is the place to go for "help"! They have food available 24/7. They allow patients to call home 4 days a week. They have the nicest staff. I could go on & on about how great this place is! They do activities w/the patients & take them to a gym. They go off campus to meetings. Again, i highly recommend Mount Regis. You won't be disappointed in their facilty or services. The only thing that i would change is to have their family visitation on the weekend b/c most people work during the week but its a small sacrifice to make to know my loved one is getting the helo they so deperately need.

Meals were great, Staff was wonderful. I only attended IOP and it was not as beneficial to me as AA meetings were. I went in one day and my insurance would not allow me to stay, I came back the next day and they allowed me to stay for 24 hours. The staff was very nice, the food was wonderful, the facilities were for the most part nice, I think for an overall experience it is a great place to start this journey.

Easy to be accepted as a patient. False advertising, unable to care for person with medical problems such as type 1 diabetes. Admission was coordinated by hospital, we were told they could care for person with type 1 diabetes, which they could not, sent daughter to ER 3 times eventually admitted to ICU with DKA , then they would not have ake her back stating she was " too sick " to be there

good family involvement, needs to improve exercise program

Friendliness and helpfulness, food choices and caffeine policy were no not the best. I would happily recommend this facility as they helped on my journey to sobriety immeasurably.

Location and staff was good but security can be improved. I know that the programs here worked by the success stories we had

I had a friend of 25 years attend this facility. He truly did not want to change when he went and he was kicked out of the program for breaking their rules. Now he is serving a 10 year prison sentence for drug related charges. Lesson to be learned: Play by the rules, change your own life. It is in a good location for people in need. However, it is too expensive.

We hate to hear that someone ended up in prison, but ultimately people must endure the consequences of their actions. Mount Regis Center is a small, very personal clinic where incidents such as the one described are carefully considered on a case-by-case basis, and administrative discharge only comes after all efforts to prevent it are exhausted. If an individual is unwilling to put his or her best interest and the best interest of the other patients as a top priority, we must take appropriate action to protect the environment of care and each person’s opportunity learn as much as possible during their stay. This commitment to the health and safety of our patients results in a program which provides tremendous value to those we serve. We are proud of the fact that the quality of Mount Regis Center is equal to that of programs which are significantly more expensive.

Mount Regis was there to help me through my addiction to alcohol. I needed a place to get over my addiction and start over. I learned that alcohol wasn't my friend it was my enemy. The counselors were very nice and seemed to understand what i was going through. They had a good, solid 12 step program. However, there was not enough interaction with family and there was not family counseling offered, that my daughter and I could have benefited from.

Realize it was a long time ago. They treated me with courtesy and respect. Did alot of testing. Took me to Doc. Had very good counseling sessions.

At first there was improvement but then my spouse relapsed due to an inability to deal with work related stress. I think he needed longer term treatment, but the insurance refused to pay for him to stay any longer. And he got to where he did not want to continue to see the out patient counselor, and quit going to AA meetings. At the time it seemed like a really good facility. It has been many years so I am not sure how it is now.

Recommend this place for loved ones.

Great staff. my after care consisted of weekly meetings, for an indefinite period of time

The facility has an entirely new staff since I attended, but the overall experience seems to be the same as with those I have spoken to. External meetings every day, small group (census max of 25), nurses on staff 24/7.

I received exactly what I needed to remain sober,and was introduced to a 12 step program. Its not a Spa, its a recovery house and a damn good one. All its employ are in recovery and really understand what an addict is going through.

It was close by and seemed to fit what I needed.

My time at Mt. Regis was incredibly helpful. Unfortunately, it wasn't nearly as helpful for many people who went there. I believe this is because many of the clients who were there when I was were required to come because of legal consequences or occupational consequences. Overall, I enjoyed my time there and learned a lot. Families were invited to attend at least one visit with me and my counselor.

Crest View Recovery Center
  • Accepts Aetna, United Healthcare, UMR, Cigna and other "big name" insurance companies
  • Medical Director is a psychiatrist and sees all the clients
  • Healing in the mountains of Western NC