Native American Rehabilitation Association of the Northwest, Inc. in Portland, OR

17645 NW St. Helens Highway
Portland OR 97231

Native American Rehabilitation Association of the Northwest, Inc. Philosophy

Residential Treatment , Holistic Therapy

Case Management Services
Childcare
Cultural Groups

Rehabs.com Editorial Review

ABOUT NATIVE AMERICAN REHABILITATION ASSOCIATION OF THE NORTHWEST, INC.

Guided by its mission to provide culturally appropriate education and health services to Native Americans, Alaska Natives, and any individuals in need, Native American Rehabilitation Association of the Northwest (NARA) operates out of eight locations in and around Portland, Ore. Substance abuse treatment is among the nonprofit organization’s offerings, and services include residential treatment, outpatient treatment, and outpatient treatment for youth ages 12 to 17. Adults seeking help with gambling problems may find treatment through the center’s outpatient program.

Upon admission, all clients undergo comprehensive assessment and evaluation. Adults who require a high level of structure and support may opt for residential care. Like all programs offered by NARA, residential services are overseen by a cultural director who ensures that all staff and treatments adhere to cultural competency guidelines.

Clients enrolled in the residential program receive case management and participate in a mix of individual counseling, group therapy, cultural activities, and support groups. Parenting classes are available, and children five years of age and younger may reside with their parents during treatment. Case managers can help with arrangements for medical care, mental health services, and housing support.

Outpatient treatment for both adults and adolescents is offered Monday through Friday. Adult programming addresses problems with gambling as well as substance abuse through counseling, gender-specific groups, cultural activities, DUI rehab, and educational workshops.

Specialized tracks for Two Spirit and LGBTQ individuals are available. Youth programming is similar in design, but modified for adolescents.

NARA’s multidisciplinary staff includes psychiatrists, psychologists, nurse practitioners, master’s level counselors, certified alcohol and drug counselors, and other mental health professionals.

There is currently no information provided by the facility regarding its living arrangements and related offerings; however, the six individuals polled by Rehabs.com to date provided NARA’s accommodations and amenities with an average rating of 4.5 out of five stars.

The five alumni polled by Rehabs.com had mostly good things to say about their experiences at NARA. S.E.B and an anonymous respondent both appreciated the incorporation of Native traditions and culture. “THIS NATIVE AMERICAN REHAB HELPED ME GET IN TOUCH WITH MY SPIRITUALITY AND TAUGHT ME SOME VERY VALUABLE LESSONS ABOUT MYSELF,” the anonymous reviewer told Rehabs.com. Another anonymous alum praised the “great counselors,” and R.S.J. found the exceptional staff to be “like a family.” “NARA helped me forgive myself and let go of my self hate that fuelled my need to punish myself with altering substances,” R.S.J. wrote.

Overall, the two alumni polled on NARA’s treatment effectiveness both gave it perfect five-star ratings.

Reviews left on the facility’s Facebook page, which NARA can manage and monitor, are similarly positive.[1] The center garnered an overall rating of 4.7 out of five stars, based on feedback from 125 users. Alumni gave repeated praise toward staff, and the amount of long-lasting spiritual connectivity they gained while in treatment. Representative reviewer Jennifer wrote: “I will take all of their words with me through the rest of my journey because they have helped to give me the strength I needed to CHANGE MY LIFE.”

The one loved polled by Rehabs.com provided a rating of three out of five stars for treatment effectiveness and highlighted that treatment was “Native American Oriented.” “I like song and prayer sweatlodge,” they wrote; however, they felt that adequate protection for clients (from other clients) was lacking.

On Facebook, however, the consensus of loved ones was overwhelmingly positive. Wife Jennifer wrote: “I cant even begin to express the gratitude that I have for N.A.R.A. for giving me my husband and the father of my child back to me. I plan to join my husband at N.A.R.A. soon.. I am looking forward to feeling the freedom he has found there.”

According to the organization’s website, no client is turned away due to inability to pay. The center uses a sliding fee scale, and discounts based on income and family size are available.

Updated December 2016

1. https://www.facebook.com/pg/naranw/reviews/?ref=page_internal

Published on January 2017

Great Counselors. Not enough resources Best place in Portland to get help for native americans. They really care.

Native American orientated. I like song and prayer sweatlodge. Only downfall was protection from other clients.

Native Culture.

NARA helped me forgive myself and let go of my self hate that fuelled my need to punish myself with altering substances. NARA was and is like a family to me. It was an excellent and well rounded program.

STRONG NATIVE AMERICAN TRADITIONS. IN NEED OF MORE COUNSELORS. THIS NATIVE AMERICAN REHAB HELPED ME GET IN TOUCH WITH MY SPIRITUALITY AND TAUGHT ME SOME VERY VALUABLE LESSONS ABOUT MYSELF.

It was more than worth the cost. It is an amazing program that saved my life!

A Better Today Recovery Services
  • Nutrition & Life Skills
  • Dual Diagnosis Treatmen
  • Aftercare
BLVD Treatment Centers
  • Yoga, Acupuncture, Drum circles, Equine therapy
  • Nutrition and wellness groups
  • Outdoor lounging patios with fireplaces