Orlando Recovery Center in Orlando, FL

6000 Lake Ellenor Dr.
Orlando FL 32809

Orlando Recovery Center Philosophy

Committing to rehab is tough, that’s why we’re committed to keeping you as comfortable as possible. We’re focused on giving you the best possible environment for healing. In addition to yoga, volleyball, and various other amenities Orlando Recovery Center offers complimentary 24-hour chauffeur pick-up service within the state of Florida.

• Detox
    Though not all rehab facilities offer “medical detoxification,” all people with an addiction to drugs or alcohol will experience intense physical and emotional changes and discomfort as their bodies react to withdrawal of the addictive substance. Many people use the term “detox” to refer to the period of time (ranging from a few days to a week) when the body is reacting to an addict’s decision to stop using.

• Dual Diagnosis/Co-Occurring Disorders Treatment

Case management

Fitness therapy

10/10 Therapeutic Experience

Troy Nielsen

Director of Operations

As Director of Operations of Orlando Recovery Center, Troy brings more than 20 years’ experience working in the fields of mental health and substance abuse dependency. He has held positions in Juvenile Justice and Dual Diagnosis facilities as a therapist, Clinical Director, and Program Administrator. Troy displays a professional and hard work ethic where his passion to help others is evident.
Troy specializes in chemical dependency, conduct disorder, oppositional defiance, anger management, grief and loss, family conflict, depression, anxiety, trauma, and issues surrounding self-esteem.

Dr. Timothy Huckaby

Medical Director

Dr. Huckaby, is a clinical expert, and a triple board certified physician in Pain Medicine, Addiction Medicine and Anesthesiology. A graduate of the Louisiana State University School of Medicine, Dr. Huckaby completed his residency in anesthesiology at LSU and received additional training at Brigham and Women's, Harvard Medical School, prior to completing his addiction medicine fellowship at the University of Florida. While at UF, he also earned his certification in Transcranial Magnetic Brain Stimulation and accepted a position as an assistant clinical professor at the University of Florida where he treated patients for chemical dependency detoxification, and pain disorders. Shortly thereafter, he became the Director of Addiction and Pain Medicine, and director of the intensive outpatient chemical dependency treatment program at the UF Health Florida Recovery Center at Orlando Health. Dr. Huckaby has been the chairman of committees for the International Doctors of Alcoholics Anonymous, and starting June 2015 will serve as President of the Florida Society of Addiction Medicine. He is the author of multiple chapters in textbooks and training manuals in addition to peer reviewed scientific papers, abstracts, and practice guidelines. Additional career highlights prior to specializing in addiction medicine include being named Chief Resident at LSU, Chief Fellow in obstetric anesthesiology at Brigham and Women's, Director of Obstetric Anesthesiology at the Ochsner Foundation Hospital of New Orleans, and Director of Obstetric Anesthesiology at Arnold Palmer Children and Women's Hospital in Orlando.

Rehabs.com Editorial Review

ABOUT ORLANDO RECOVERY CENTER

Set on lakeside property in Orlando, Fla., Orlando Recovery Center provides a variety of services for adults struggling with substance abuse and co-occurring mental health disorders. Its offerings include residential care, partial hospitalization (PHP), intensive outpatient treatment (IOP), standard outpatient treatment (OP), and aftercare services. Medical detox and treatment for co-occurring eating disorders are also available on-site.

Upon admission, clients undergo a full assessment and evaluation. Individuals experiencing severe withdrawal symptoms are typically referred to the medical detox program, which includes 24-hour monitoring, individual counseling, medication management, and life skills training. The center also incorporates holistic elements into detox, including acupuncture and fitness activities.

Once stabilized, clients may move on to residential or outpatient treatment, the latter of which is offered at PHP, IOP, and OP levels. Orlando Recovery Center’s treatment approach utilizes the 12-Steps and incorporates psychotherapy, process groups, and holistic treatment modalities. Clients may begin at one level of treatment intensity and use less intense offerings to “step down” and gradually re-enter society.

Individuals who complete treatment have access to a comprehensive aftercare program that offers sober living accommodations, ongoing case management, and support groups.

Under the direction of a triple-board certified physician in pain medicine, addiction medicine, and anesthesiology, Orlando Recovery Center employs licensed mental health counselors, certified life coaches, registered nurses, and other admissions and administrative staff.

The center can accommodate up to 93 adults at a time. Clients share simply furnished rooms with one other resident and eat meals that are prepared on-site. The facility includes a fitness room, swimming pool, and a basketball court, in addition to fitness classes such as yoga. Additionally, a free chauffeur service is available 24 hours per day and travels anywhere within the state of Florida.

The two alumni surveyed by Rehabs.com were critical of the facility and reported multiple problems. While Vicki liked her therapist, she described the management of the facility as “poor.” “Staying at that facility was like fighting in the trenches,” she wrote. Similarly, K.F. indicated that the center’s treatment environment was chaotic, characterizing the facility as a “mad house.” K.F. also cited unprofessional conduct among staff and a general disregard for clients’ needs. “They have no understanding about addiction and I felt my problems were insignificant to the nurses,” K.F. wrote.

The facility fared much better with Google users, earning an average rating of 4.2 stars, based on 13 reviews.[1] Brittany expressed gratitude for the treatment she received in her five-star review. “The staff and therapists are pretty amazing and it's a wonderful place to go to if you need help with addiction, alcohol or eating disorders!” she wrote. Pauly noted that “you get what you put in for it,” and added that he’d “never seen the amount of people like the staff and therapists who work there that actually care for the patients.”

C.A., the one loved one polled by Rehabs.com, expressed extreme dissatisfaction for the care their partner received. C.A.’s problems started with the “unorganized” admissions process and carried over into treatment that lacked most of what was promised in the facility’s advertising materials. “For family members of inpatients, the treatment process is totally opaque. Communication, internal and external, is severely deficient,” C.A. added.

The few reviews submitted to Google by loved ones of clients were far more positive. Hunter awarded the facility five stars, noting the “helpful and kind” staff members. Paige submitted a glowing review for the care her son received for heroin addiction. “My husband and I were so impressed by the way Orc helps not just the addiction but the whole person,” she wrote.

Rehabs.com has not yet received any reviews from this facility’s staff, but employee reviews submitted elsewhere are mixed. Sheldon provided a five-star review on Google. “Positive and uplifting work environment, passionate co-workers, and a beautiful facility,” he wrote.

On Facebook, W.F. left a scathing, one-star review that cited unethical billing practices, inadequate care, and understaffing.[2] “They claim that patients are seen daily in the DETOX level of care, they are NOT...They claim that patients are seen daily in the RESIDENTIAL level of care...They are NOT (but you and your insurance are charged for it),” W.F. wrote. The facility, which has the power to vet comments on their Facebook page, responded to the review, encouraging the reviewer to contact the facility directly.

One month of treatment at Orlando Recovery Center is priced at $25,000. The center works with a number private insurance companies, including Aetna, Cigna, Blue Cross Blue Shield, and others.

Updated November 2016

1. https://goo.gl/XPRth6

2. https://www.facebook.com/pg/OrlandoRecoveryCenter/reviews/

Firstly the cost is astronomical! Who could ever afford it without insurance? I had a loved one stay at ORC and it hasn't even been a whole month and the tally is already $48,500!!! Now I would understand if there was spa treatments, and luxury amenities for this price. But there aren't. Basic basic institutional atmosphere. My loved one only got 2 or 3 therapy sessions in a month's time when they told us it would be several times a week....I understand rehab isn't the most fun or relaxing place to be, but it shouldn't be like jail either. And that is what I compare ORC to...white collar jail. NOT worth the cost. Granted it has helped my loved one begin the road to recovery and I supposed that's a priceless gift, but the bottom line is...the program offered and "classes" are simply not worth the huge cost. I hate to make this review revolve around money, but the fact of the matter is you hope to get your money's worth out of something and this place is just basically ripping people off. If the therapy was more often, the food better, the activities more diverse, the classes more in depth, the rooms and common areas more up to date, then maybe $43K would be close to worth it.

I recently left ORC and despite my reservations and first impression of the place, I gave it a chance. I noticed many things wrong with ORC. The first is the attitude of the staff. The staff at ORC have very poor attitudes and they do not have a great deal of understanding when it comes to substance abuse. The director of nursing is anti social, rude, and does not like concerns brought to his attention. I was brushed off twice by him and he walked away while I was venting my frustrations to him. The doctor told me I could use some of my things brought to me from home. He refused to hear anything I had to say or verify what I told him with the doctor. I can tell he has no experience as a supervisor and no compassion for others. He hides himself away in the office to keep from being bothered. This to me says he wants nothing to do with people; then why is he there? The food is not very nutritionist and they do not provide special foods or meals to accommodate special dietary needs. The therapist never meet with you as agreed. The techs are lazy and refuse to help with anything you ask. Everyone sends you to the nurse but even the nurses don't know what to tell you half the time. The facility needs better management and organization if it plans to ever keep customers or staff. No one is on the same page. My first thought when I entered ORC was to get a drink. You can't get clean or sober in a place full of dysfunction, disorganization, and chaos.

ORC “The Good the Bad and the Ugly” by Mark GOOD FOOD - It was always a gamble, by this I mean the good aspect was there was always yogurt and salad as an option if the main meal stunk. The main meals were fair to good about half the time. I understand the overworked kitchen staff could only do so much with the low quality food provided by Sysco. MEDICATIONS – The medications distributed to me where exactly a perfect combination to mellow me out enough to get me through my alcohol withdrawal, (This lasted 3 or 4 days). FLAT SCREEN TELEVISION – In every room made the stay easier. CLASSES, PATIENTS AND STAFF - The one thing that really clicked and made ORC beneficial was the caring and enjoyable level of the classes/meetings. Also, most of the staff that ran these meetings tried to make them a little fun so as not to get monotonous. The staff really seemed to care about each individual and make it a point to say, “If anyone had any questions they would see them privately after class”. Secondly, the camaraderie amongst the patients was fantastic! Although, I might have just gotten lucky during my stay, these people are who I call my new rehab friends. This would include 12 people in particular, we formed a tight group that allowed us to bond and work through the recovery process better. The flipside of this was after approximately one week we were all being split apart due to some being bumped up the ladder to the second floor and some going home. Anyone not on this list, I apologize for not putting your name in. My favorite person on the med staff by far was one guy in particular!!! BAD First of all I was lied to by the call center. They made it out to be a spa like atmosphere. They said there would be use of the pool lounge chairs and volleyball courts which we were never allowed to use in either detox or residential. Only the second floor on Step 3 and Step 4 were the patients that were given approximately one hour a day to use these facilities per day. By moving to the second floor were told not to fraternize with the 1st floor patients even though we had all come from the 1st floor and had become friends. By the way, there were no massages or equine facility at ORC. Several times the nurse’s dispensary ran out of meds. This was extremely disparaging to the many heroin addicts coming in to detox as they had no access to syboxin or lithium for up to two days during their detox (They even ran out of my Gabapentin for two days even though the pharmacy was suppose to deliver meds 3 times a day to ORC). ROOM CONDITIONS - As one of the counselors said jokingly, “Well, this is not the Four Seasons. You are here to learn about yourself”. The ironic part is that the Four Seasons cost about $400.00 per night and we were paying anywhere to $600.00 and $1200.00 per night depending if you were insurance or self-pay. Sheets were of the cheapest and poorest quality and did not fit the bed correctly. I am assuming they shrank in the wash. Pillows were like jail pillows and often times it took five requests over two days to receive an additional one and a second blanket. Mattresses were uncomfortable on your back. The rooms did not have individual thermostats so that after a hot week they flipped the main system to AC which could not be turned back to heat. I arrived during the two day cold snap and froze my ass off for the first two days with no extra blanket. It was almost impossible to get hot water for an evening shower and no hot water in the evening from the faucet at the sink. As far as bathroom amnesties there was almost none. You had to use their shampoo and conditioner, no bar soap and we were promised shaving cream and a disposable razor every two days and they never had shaving cream in stock. They confiscate any item that contains alcohol including some shampoos and all cologne/perfume. After 5 days I realize those items could have brought down to the floor in a plastic bag and locked up by the staff so you could still use it. However, no one told me this. There is no maid service and the floors were filthy for the first 6 days until they super nice janitor lady came by and I asked to have them cleaned. The ORC bought the cheapest toilet paper I have ever seen or used. It was see through. Many coffee drinkers were upset because the coffee machine was turned off just prior to lunch for the rest of the day. Inconsistency of Rule Enforcement - The rules where followed differently depending who was the counselor or tech that was on duty. Ex: In the group meeting room they had signs to divide the group male and female. After 15 meetings in this room only one counselor enforced this. This rule was really stupid as they entire 1st floor was co-ed. I have a seizure disorder which requires me to have a full night sleep to ward off any seizures. Unfortunately, the tech on duty would come in and wake me up at 12:30 a.m. and 5:30 a.m. to take my vital signs. I would like to take this opportunity to thank individuals of the staff.

Great place to become a better person.

Great place, even better people. This place saved my life. Do yourself a favor and go there!!

Highly recommend!! Great staff and facility ! Best therapy around ! Thank you ORC

I was a client at ORC this past month. I was there a couple of weeks and decided it wasn’t the right fit for me. ORC is not very organized or structured as far as the programming and medication times . When you’re going through the intake process it seems nice at first everyone is eager to get your admission done but once you are in that room and just another number that’s exactly how they treat you. The Operations Manager does not have much control over the staff and no one is held accountable for anything. The director of nursing is not involved and when you complain about his nurses (certain one) he ignores your concerns. There was a nurse who I could tell was becoming frustrated with me asking her for help. I asked her for help and she immediately told me to find my nurse because she was the... and I quote “float”. What the heck does that mean? You’re the float so you don’t have to do anything? I mentioned this to another nurse in passing about how poor this nurse attitude was and her response was more or less to just to let it go because she is “the director of nursing's supervisor”. I kept seeing this nurse in the director’s office sitting around but she couldn’t help me? So I knew what her co- worker said to me was true. How unprofessional can you be? The BHTs are over worked and severely short staffed on a daily basis. I hear the staffs all the time tell clients “I’m the only one up here give me a minute”. Why isn’t there enough staff in the evening? The nurses have to leave the unit to do admissions and this was a big concern for me. You wake up to speak to the nurse and the nurse is gone down stairs to do admissions. It’s very unsafe and some of the nurses they have scheduled at night are slow, unskilled, and have no idea what they’re doing. I don’t even blame the nurses I blame ORC for hiring a nurse manager who is not knowledgeable or people person. The director of nursing is anti-social and fake. I never got a real feel on what his true personality is because he stuffs his face and stays in the office. He does not have leadership capabilities. The clinical director has not one clue what she is doing the program schedule is designed to accommodate ORC doctors and therapist. The schedule makes no sense for the client and I for one suggested many times that the schedule should be changed but was met with the clinical director’s resistance and poor sistah-girl attitude. She wants people to know she runs the programs and she’s in control. If she keeps that attitude see how in control she is when people start leaving and refusing to pay for the services. ORC needs new administration and programming. At med times the nurses are outside smoking and you can’t find anyone to help you. The detox patients get to come inside the med room while the residential clients wait in a room. You have two nurses trying to pass meds from one cart and watch everyone take meds.... My advice to you, go somewhere else for treatment. It’s like they think scaring you from drug use will work. If that worked there would be no need for treatment centers. I think some of the staff is too good for this place and their not appreciated. The individuals I witnessed be rude and foul mouth toward clients continued to act unprofessional and nothing done about it so I left.

My therapist was excellent. The groups were excellent. The management was poor at best. I liken it to war. Staying at that facility was like fighting in the trenches.. if you've never been there, done that, you just can't describe the conditions that you face during war, or in this case ORC.

ORC seems nice and cool at first but once your in there it''s a mad house. There are people there trying to date, several arguments daily, and the noise is a distraction. The nursing staff is horrible. The director over nursing is never around he spends most of his day hiding in the office while the nurses are yelling at patient's and becoming frustrated over the simplest question you ask. When I was detoxing I only asked what would I be prescribed for sleep because I have a chronic sleep disorder and I provided my doctors information so they could verify what I was saying...This nurse only wanted to move me along so so she could go outside and smoke. I swear the nurses have more issues than the the clients. They have no understanding about addiction and I felt my problems were insignificant to the nurses. I remember asking one nurse for a PRN because I was having anxiety and she told me "you don't look anxious to me" and she told me she couldn't allow me the medication. It was now 9pm I took my morning medications at 8:30am. If I was feeling anxious she should listen to me. People handle stress and anxiety different just like they display it differently how dare she make me feel as if I was lying. I do not recommend you take your loved ones here or seek treatment for yourself. They have a nursing department that have no idea what their doing and a director of nursing who is so far removed it's like he's not even there. He is just there to collect a pay check. If you need help don't go there you will be very disappointed and depressed everyday. I left because there was too much drama in this place and no structure. People just do what they want and the bigger the check you write or insurance you have depends on the amount of respect you will get. BHTs and nurses say it right in your face what clients are their favorites, who they can't stand, and the whole time I'm thinking well I wonder what you will say about me. The nurses need to be re- evaluated and they need more competent nurses. The night nurses give out the meds late but at least their nice, respectful, and call the doctor when you ask. I will admit my therapist was great and will address any issue you have but it's not enough... My honest opinion you won't get better at ORC until they clean out some of the bad apples. People need a professional, structured, and calm environment to get better and ORC does not have that right now.

I have never written such an extensive review of a business before now, but there is a serious dearth of information on Orlando Recovery Center, and I feel strongly that this facility and its parent company are exploiting addicts and their families at a time of desperate vulnerability. ORC is owned by a company called Advanced Recovery Systems (ARS), which owns several facilities in Florida and other states, and is backed by Goldman Sachs private equity. ORC has been around for less than a year at the time of this writing, so there isn’t much consumer information out there for prospective patients and their families. Please, if you are considering ORC for yourself or your loved one, research ARS’s other facilities (specifically the Recovery Village in Umatilla), which have been around longer and have more review history — the reviews of ARS’s other facilities reflect the management of ORC, which is something I wish my partner and I had known about before he enrolled in the residential inpatient program. When my partner was first in contact with ORC, it was with ARS’s call center, not the actual facility in Orlando (FYI, once you make initial contact, prepare to be called frequently by ARS’s “admissions coordinators”). During the intake process, it became clear to me that they were not prepared for my partner’s arrival that day — the process was inordinately long, unorganized, unfriendly and unwelcoming. The first time I was able to speak with my partner after his intake (4 days in) he told me of the apparent false advertising — promises like dual-diagnosis and treatment, individualized treatment planning, equine therapy, yoga therapy, and chef-created holistic nutrition, all turned out to be seriously lacking or simply not provided “at this facility.” I can’t report on the quality of all of the therapists at ORC, but I don’t believe the one assigned to my partner was properly credentialed to be an addiction psychologist. Early on in my partner’s stay at ORC I did a small amount of reading and research on my own into evidence-based treatment methods for substance abuse. During the one family session his therapist invited me to, I mentioned a method (CRA, or community reinforcement approach, a method with a significant body of clinical evidence supporting its efficacy — addiction psych 101) and a book that really helped my understanding of substance abuse — he hadn’t “heard” of either. Truly, I learned nothing new about the science of recovery from him — he was more inclined to deliver rote, clichéd, and meaningless quotes about addiction which all seemed to be based in 12-step dogma. During my partner’s 7-week stay at ORC, I was in their facility about 6 times to check him out for off-site visits (which they allow on Sundays). Almost every time I waited in the visitor’s lobby, I overheard at least one of the clinical technicians gossip, blatantly, about former and current patients...demonstrates the employees’ abhorrent disregard and disrespect for the patients in their care — people already going through some of the most harrowing periods of their lives. For family members of inpatients, the treatment process is totally opaque. Communication, internal and external, is severely deficient. His therapist stumbled over my inquiries for straightforward and small pieces of information. More than once he promised to call me back and failed to do so. Once, after waiting almost 48 hours for a return call, I tried to get in touch with anyone at the facility. I called 10 times and could literally not speak with a soul about my partner. His therapist, the clinical director, the director of operations, and the director of admissions were all absent. It was a Friday, between 11am and 2pm. For the last 3 weeks of his treatment, I struggled to discuss the details of my partner’s discharge with his therapist or the clinical director, to no avail. Eventually, it came to light that they determine length of stay based on the max that your insurance is willing to cover. They transitioned my partner from inpatient treatment to intensive outpatient treatment without conveying to either of us that he could have received this treatment elsewhere. It appeared to us that discharge is based not on the patient’s best interest (physical, psychological, emotional), but rather on their insurance carrier’s financial capacity. If you are serious about getting help, know that you are not alone. There are treatment options available for a significantly lower cost utilizing methods with scientifically proven efficacy — search for MI, MET, CRA, and CRAFT based approaches — many of which will not require an inpatient stay. If you or your loved one needs medically supervised detoxification or you feel that residential treatment is absolutely necessary, there are facilities out there with respectful, transparent, and kind staff, where patients can heal themselves, their relationships, and become poised to rebuild better, happier, and healthier lives. This is not one of those places.

Beaches Recovery
  • Dedicated to individual client care
  • Customizable programs
  • Beautiful location steps from the beach
Just Believe Recovery Center
  • Theories of Addiction
  • Relapse Prevention
  • Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)