Palmetto Addiction Recovery Center in Rayville, LA

86 Palmetto Road
Rayville LA 71269

Palmetto Addiction Recovery Center Philosophy

Palmetto Addiction Recovery Center has been helping people recover from addiction for more than 20 years. Our team of caring professionals share over 250 years of experience in breaking the cycle of this devastating, chronic disease. We believe recovery must occur in three areas: physical, emotional and spiritual. Our program is designed to address all three of these key areas from day one. Our facilities and staff provide an environment that encourages a return to basic living skills, development of non-addictive coping skills, recognition of character defects, development of a non self-centered way of living, and a spiritual approach to life.

• Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR)
    EMDR is a highly specific, research-validated form of therapy that can help people overcome traumatic stress, anxiety and depression. With EMDR, a trained practitioner uses bilateral stimulation, eye movement and touch to stimulate parts of the brain as a patient recounts certain experiences and memories as a way to more thoroughly process uncomfortable, painful feelings.

• Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
    The focus of cognitive behavioral therapy (also called CBT) is helping people to understand the thoughts and emotions that underlie their addiction with the goal of learning new, healthier and more productive ways to understand and express themselves.

Palmetto offers a full continuum of care with treatment that is both effective and cost efficient

Bringing hope and lasting recovery to individuals and families since 1993

Thorough evaluations and individual treatment plans

Jay Weiss, MD, ASAM, Psychiatrist

Medical Director

Jay Weiss, MD, is a graduate of University of Arkansas College of Medicine. He completed his residency in Psychiatry while serving in the United States Air Force for a total of 30 years. Dr. Weiss is ASAM certified (2005) and is board certified in Geriatrics (1994), Addictions/Substance Abuse (1995), and Psychiatry (1991). He is a member of both the AMA and APA associations. His speaking engagements include the FAA conference on Aviation Psychiatry, USAF on Combat Psychiatry and Celestial Navigation. Dr. Weiss believes that staff interaction on both a professional and personal level makes Palmetto an exceptional place for treatment. He gives lectures throughout the country. He is affiliated with the FAA. He has been at Palmetto 15 years.

Phillip Ables, M.ED., LPC

Program Director

Phillip is a graduate of the University of Louisiana at Monroe (ULM) with a Bachelor’s in Psychology and a Master’s in Professional Counseling. A Licensed Professional Counselor (#253) for over 22 years, he has worked with individuals, couples and families; patients suffering chronic illness, and individuals with developmental disabilities. Phillip’s counseling is based on cognitive-behavioral therapy. “I will listen to what you say, but I will believe what you do.” No addict will every get better without taking that first step, and asking for help.

ABOUT PALMETTO ADDICTION RECOVERY CENTER

Surrounded by a lake and set on 70 rural acres in the northeastern corner of Louisiana, Palmetto Addiction Recovery Center offers residential and intensive outpatient treatment to adult men and women struggling with substance abuse issues. Clients with co-occurring mental health disorders are also welcomed, and medically monitored detox services are offered on-site.

Assessment is carried out by the entire staff and considers the client’s behavior, assumption of responsibility, and emotional and spiritual development. Most clients take about 90 days to complete all phases of treatment. Palmetto also offers an intensive outpatient program (IOP), which many clients move into following their residential stay.

Treatment follows a 12-step, therapeutic community model, with clients expected to work together in regular groups to problem solve in a drug-free setting, as well as participate in individual counseling, family therapy, daily 12-step meetings, and addiction education classes. Medication management is also provided.

Palmetto offers a specialized treatment track for professionals, including medical workers, attorneys, judges, social workers, and licensed professional counselors. Topics include work addiction, caregiving, caretaking, ethics, career adjustment issues, and self-image.

A family program is offered for loved ones and involves counseling, education, and a two-day family workshop. There is also a relapse track for those who have trouble maintaining recovery, which involves extensive work identifying and exploring triggers.

STAFF CREDENTIAL

Boasting a staff-to-client ratio of 1:2, Palmetto’s treatment team includes a medical director, a psychiatrist and two attending physicians, along with registered nurses, psychologists, licensed clinical social workers, licensed professional counselors, spiritual counselors, and Ph.D. and master’s level counselors.

The 100-bed facility is located on 70 acres surrounded by water. Clients are housed in gender-specific cabins on the scenic, remote campus. Each cabin has a kitchen, a living room, and double bedrooms. The campus also has a fitness room, plus basketball and tennis courts.

Alumni response to Palmetto was mostly positive, though a little mixed. When asked if they would recommend the facility, Rehabs.com survey respondents gave an average rating of 3.85 out of five stars. Of the 21 former clients surveyed by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing, three credited the facility with saving their lives, including M.H., who praised the rehab for its personalized approach and described her experience as a “life-changing event.”

Other pleased alumni commended the thoroughness of the program and its ability to uncover underlying issues. Jan told Rehabs.com: “This treatment facility and the counselors showed me how to dig further, to expose my weakness, fears, behaviors, thoughts, feelings etc. This allowed me to face and process the roots of my addiction.”

Not all alumni felt this way, though. Of the 21 formers patients surveyed, five rated their overall treatment effectiveness just two out of five stars or less. Some former clients took issue with the facility’s very traditional, 12-step treatment method. P.L. described Palmetto as “way behind the times in addiction treatment. Old-school break 'em down and build 'em back up.” Marty agreed, giving the facility just one star for its treatment effectiveness and writing: “I am a practicing physician and I was treated horribly. Awful facility-unprofessional and simply not in tune with modern addiction treatment.”

Loved ones gave Palmetto mostly positive feedback — of the six individuals surveyed by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing, five said they would recommend the program to others, with an average rating of 3.8 out of five stars. “People Listen to your Problems and honestly try there best to Help” wrote an anonymous friend of one alum.

They also awarded the facility an average rating of four out of five stars for its family participation. M.J. told Rehabs.com: “We had family weekend. Helped us be a part of the recovery process.”

Yet one loved one, a parent who chose to remain anonymous, gave the facility just one star for its treatment effectiveness, telling Rehabs.com: “I know this is one of the few places professional can go to keep there license. Other than that this place is not for someone who needs help getting clean or regaining their life.”

Fees for residential treatment start at $11,800 for the first month, $10,100 for the second month, and $8,000 for the third month. Costs for outpatient treatment start at $2,400 per month. The facility does accept some private insurance plans.

Updated March 2017

Published on April 2017

Your knowledge is amazingly useful.

PLEASE READ MY REVIEW EVERYONE I was a patient there and from day one was treated horribly , the staff there look down at you & treat you with little or no respect. For $3000 a week you get cook your own meals with a allotted food allowance of $70 a week . The nice cabin you see on the website & brochure is for patients on the way out . The other 6 or 7 cabins are horrible, with cheap dirty furniture and very small , maybe 1200 square feet, & keep in mind each cabin has 8 men , so nice and private. There method of treatment is from the 60s , tere you down to nothing & reshape you . Everyday they the get the entire group together and make them criticize & tell on each other and if the group doesn't start by the allotted time the councler will make selected persons do it, they called it FCCs. Fears cares, or concerns. Like I said stay away from this place if your smart . This place would be great for kids & weak minded individuals THANKS FOR READING hope it helps

I thought that the treatment was unprofessional. Drs Weiss, Chris and Jennifer were very professional and courteous. There is not a chance that the success rate is as high as they say it is. I know many were using their drug of choice within an hour to a few weeks. Some clients were attending over and over again. The facility itself could really use an overhaul. I can't believe that brown water is safe to drink. It ruins anything that is washed in it. I attended over the holidays and there were 3 holiday breaks that were 4 days long. That's ridiculous because people are paying for 90 days of treatment. The therapy methods that are used are horrible. Clients are cussed at and treated with no respect. I was told that they had to get down to the addict's level. I and many others that I knew did not respond well to such treatment. I have every confidence that I will be successful but it is due to the monitoring program, not Palmetto. If for some reason I had to attend an ARC, it most definitely would not be Palmetto. Going back to mirror depresses me and makes me nauseous. I can't imagine working there.

This place was horrible! First when you go to eval they put you in the best cabin. The you are dumped to a substandard living cabin with brown water and 20+ years furniture. The program makes you believe you are a despicable person and that's why you ended there. They love to traumatize as much as possible. The last 15 days they make you believe you are a great person and you are ready to hit the world. The staff is extremely rude and incompetent. And if you go there because you need a clearance, they make you feel you are in a penitence camp Oh and upon eval, everybody is an addict. Most people that go there relapse and they love it.

BEWARE I tried contacting multiple staff members of Palmetto, many times via phone and email, during my son's stay. Only one person returned my call. He was great!!! He was very helpful in providing information. One of the staff members FINALLY contacted me. We had a brief phone conversation. He was very angry, disrespectful and condescending. I do not appreciate, the way he handled the phone call or the way he was spoke to someone he did not know. He seems to be very upset, because I have a different opinion. After, our unproductive phone conversation. It was brought to my attention that he had attacked my character by saying, I was angry and an enabler. If, this is the way a counselor handles a family members, it is truly a poor reflection on Palmetto. The living conditions at Palmetto are worse than being in jail. I when for the weekend to visit to my son. I noticed the water had a very DARK discoloration. With the facility Charging approximately of $25,000- $30,000 for a 90 day program. My son only received $40 a week for FOOD!!! This is ridiculous!!!! At their approach to rehab is definitely different!!! In my opinion this place should not be operating. And definitely should reevaluate their staff. I will definitely, make it very clear the Better Business Bureau, Google, yelp, Facebook and any other forum or public media site how people are handled at this facility.

Palmetto saved my life, hands down!!! Could not be happier now. and I was a hopeless drug addict for over 10 years. Thank you Palmetto!!

Great program, they break you and remake you!! I had a wonderful experience here and recommend it to anyone seeking a new profound life! I only wish insurance companies cared more about addiction. My insurance cut out after 30 days; however, what I did learn was a great start to in my journey to happiness!!! The counselors do it "full metal jacket style" but it works if you work it!! Thanks guys! I will never forget any of you!! Take care and God bless!!

I must say this was a life changing experience for me. Palmetto helped me understand the core issues in my life, alcohol and drugs were not the root cause of my problems. Alcohol and drugs were my way of coping with any emotional issue that I found disturbing. I no longer have to rely on changing my state of mind by using any mind altering substance. I now have the tools to cope with any issues that come up in my life. The staff at Palmetto really cares, I have seen negative comments about the staff and the treatment plan at Palmetto but they are unfounded. If you or a loved one need a safe place to get lives back on track, I highly recommend doing some research and I think you will find Palmetto Addiction Recovery is one of the best places to learn how to live life sober.

Horrible!...some may not care about posting the FACTS but I do, if you have other options PLEASE take heed to comment, I am sober & could only tolerate this place 2 weeks ...! They do not care about your treatment & they will prove it to you if your insurance stops paying! HORRIBLE PLACE

This place saved me! I think you get out of a program what you're willing to put into it. That was back in 2007 and I am clean and sober living a life I didn't dream could be possible!

The program is planned to a tee, everything is taken into account in treating each individual. From planning and cooking meals, to cleaning and following strict cabin rules, to group sessions and written assignments, this program, if worked, covers most aspects of ones life to face and overcome what causes in your personality that lead to addiction. It also, provides the tools to join AA and live the AA program.

Didn't work. It's a little harsh but a good place to get clean. There is a great councilor

The counseling and mental health services I received were excellent. I truly believe because of the treatment I received I had a better chance at staying sober. I've been sober four years. It is expensive but I would say completely worth every penny. My counselor saved my life. They helped me transition into recovery housing and I continued aftercare at their facility upon completion of treatment. Palmetto helped me learn who I was and who. I wanted to become. Palmetto helped me get the peace in my life I do desperately needed.

People Listen to your Problems and honestly try there best to Help. A few Bad employees .... A bad apple spoils a bunch. If it will help You or a loved one By all means GO

My fried had nothing but postive things to say about this place. She loved the atmosphere and did so well

I know this is one of the few places professional can go to keep there license. O)ther than that this place is not for someone who needs help getting clean or regaining their life.

I attended Palmetto in 2006 and have been sober ever since. My life changed completely and everything I have that is good in my life started in this treatment center. I and my family will be forever grateful.

This place is highly unethical.

This place is completely illegitimate.

Poor

I CANNOT STRESS TO YOU ENOUGH, THIS PLACE IS A SCAM! YOU PAY THEM OVER 2000 DOLLARS A WEEK, SOMETIMES 3 DAYS TO LIVE IN A GROSS PLACE

I did the 3 day evaluation. I am not an addict, but Palmetto will label you as one unless you are 100% pure with regards to drugs. Their medical director is unprofessional and deliberately condescending. He asked me what my college education was. I answered truthfully. He didn't believe me. (I have more college education than he does, and apparently this bothered him) They know very little about mental health and have antiquated philosophies of addiction. Palmetto may be helpful to some people who have serious addiction issues, but for me it was a miserable experience and waste of money.

90 day rehab successfully completed with much resistant from patient. The patient is clean and sober, but they didn't do enough to get the patient involved at the beginning.

I was left on my own without direction or help. It was not about help it was about making money; if you have good insurance you get good care.

I went thru a 3 day evaluation. The staff started selling me on a 90 day treatment program as soon as I arrived even though I am not an addict. Biggest scam I have ever seen. Staff and program felt like a cult.

Group sessions were where you were are encouraged to complain about others was horrifying, absolute separation of the sexes was stupid and the administrative staff was ignorant and vindictive...awful place!

Overall it was a deceptive facility that takes advantage for profit. You pay tens of thousands of dollars, but only given $40-budget for food the whole week. The staff are very rude and manipulative. Patients are encouraged to tell on each other over extremely little things. Majority of the staff there are recovering addicts as well. I will be three years sober coming up this summer with no thanks to Palmetto.

Palmetto was not easy, but it works. They gave me a wonderful life. Going on 6 years sober.

The best decision I ever made was to attend this wonderful center. Detox was painless, staff accommodating, beautiful setting, and great counseling. Palmetto is the reason I am alive today. My stay was life changing and I didn't want to leave. With a new found faith in my God and a new way to appreciate life's simple blessings I must say I couldn't have done it without this place.

Way behind the times in addiction treatment. Old-school break 'em down and build 'em back up. Encouraged clients to criticize each other. I hated it. Left early when one of the other clients became abusive toward me, and staff did nothing to stop it, even took her side.

It's probably the best rehab I've been to. I've been to 12 inpatient facilities and this one is the best. Been sober for 3 years since I left Palmetto! Thanks for my life back!

Palmetto saved my life. This is a place that truly cares about helping their patients get sober. They not only use a very therapeutic approach but help patients learn to live life as a functioning member of society. They also have a great continuation of services. I would recommend this treatment center to all.

Palmetto saved my life. This place truly cares about helping people and taught me so much about myself.

Palmetto is a very sacred place that took a severely dysfunctional junkie and helped me to turn my life around and become a productive member of sobriety. This is the place where getting sober is the number one priority.

Palmetto far exceeded my expectations across the board. I had been in rehab approximately 15 times before and decided it would not work. I was essentially forced to go by my doctor. It was the beginning of a new way of thinking and behaving I had not understood before.

I probably would not be alive if not for my time at Palmetto. It was a life-changing event. Definitely not a cookie-cutter approach.

I thought drugs/alcohol were my problem. This treatment facility and the counselors showed me how to dig further, to expose my weakness, fears, behaviors, thoughts, feelings etc. This allowed me to face and process the roots of my addiction.

We had family weekend. Helped us be a part of the recovery process.

Helped me get and stay clean.

Very effective treatment!

Horrible people; horrible program

Helped me get my life together

This was my 10th treatment. Palmetto is the best treatment center around.

Palmetto has schedules of therapy in groups, work assignments, detailed therapy assignments that must be presented before your therapy group, and every aspect of the program is geared to help you face your demons and learn to live a clean and happier life. It was exactly what I needed.

My experience was good. That being said it's only as good as you make it and recovery only comes to those who want it. If you want it bad enough most any facility will suffice.

Best thing that could have happened to me, saved my life, learned a lot about shame, guilt and resentments/ anger.

Found it helpful.

We attended maybe 3 AA meetings...I am a practicing physician and I was treated horribly. Awful facility-unprofessional and simply not in tune with modern addiction treatment.

I didn't have the money to pay for it, or I would have stayed longer

Had such a negative experience.

My friend had been to treatment sites in the past but the difference in this experience is the staff at Palmetto seem unafraid of confronting him and his family to break the cycle of dysfunction and make them all accountable for the behaviors, past and present.

Oxford Treatment Center