(4 of 5)
241 Pavillon Place
Mill Spring NC 28756

Pavillon Philosophy

Pavillon offers comprehensive treatment for alcoholism and drug addiction. The rehab combines clinical expertise with a holistic recovery approached designed to address the needs of the mind, body and spirit. A full continuum of care is offered, including residential, outpatient and extended care services, as well as a caring and supportive environment. With the help of a compassionate staff, clients are able to address the underlying issues and develop the healthy coping skills that are essential for a sustainable recovery.

• Holistic Therapy
    Facilities that offer “holistic therapy” see and treat patients in the context of their entire lives and health status. They treat the “whole person,” not just the addiction.

Professionals' Program

Continuing Care

Recovery Management

Anne Vance, CEO, FACHE

CEO

Ms. Vance has many years of experience working in both residential and out-patient settings. She has been a strong advocate for access to affordable care and eliminating the stigma associated with addiction. In 2003 she brought her years of experience and knowledge plus her vision on treating alcohol and drug addiction to Pavillon. Under her leadership, Pavillon has grown to become one of the leading alcohol and drug addiction centers that can assist clients from detox through to sober living and recovery housing. Prior to joining Pavillon, Ms. Vance was with the Betty Ford Center and EATA. In the mid-nineties Ms. Vance worked with Eric Clapton to build Crossroads and established the program for this center. She is a Fellow with the American College of Healthcare Executives (ACHE) and is also a member of the American College of Addiction Treatment Administrators, and currently serves on the National Association of Addiction Treatment Providers (NAATP) Board of Directors.

John Roberts, MD, Board Certified in Psychiatry, Neurology, Addiction Medicine

Medical Director and Addiction Psychiatrist

Photo of John Roberts, MD, Board Certified in Psychiatry, Neurology, Addiction Medicine

Dr. Roberts is the Medical Director and Addiction Psychiatrist for Pavillon. He came to Pavillon with nearly 20 years of experience serving as an Assistant Professor of Psychiatry at the Medical University of South Carolina. While there, he was the attending psychiatrist for the inpatient dual diagnosis inpatient unit and was the director of the clinical outpatient division for the Center for Drugs and Alcohol Program. He received his doctor of medicine from Louisiana State University and completed his psychiatric residency as well as fellowships in substance abuse and anxiety disorders at the Medical University of South Carolina. Dr. Roberts is board certified in psychiatry and has lectured through out the Southeast on substance use and psychiatric disorders.

ABOUT PAVILLON – NORTH CAROLINA

Pavillon is a private, nonprofit that has a residential and a men’s outpatient substance abuse rehab facility in North Carolina and South Carolina, respectively. Based in the rustic mountains of the Carolinas, the center offers a wide range of therapeutic services for men, women, and young adults with substance abuse and co-occurring mental health issues. Medically supervised detox is available on-site.

After a thorough assessment, clients can expect highly individualized treatment consisting of individual, group, and family counseling supplemented with educational programs, according to the center’s website. Though residential rehab is 12-step based, the facility is well equipped to treat co-occurring mental health issues as well.

The range of treatment plans offered is one of the facility’s selling points. In an effort to treat the “whole person,” the women’s program focuses on spirituality, self-care, shame, grief, and parenting skills, and offers yoga and equine therapy. Programming typically lasts for six weeks, though there is also an extended care program for individuals who would benefit from a longer stay.

Other special programming includes a relapse-prevention track for those who have suffered repeated relapse, a professional program for licensed medical and other skilled professionals, a four-day family program that runs every other week, and a young adults program for those between the ages of 18 and 28. Weekly sessions under the supervision of a counselor or a master's level clinician are given under the continuing care services.

The center’s website notes the residential program boasts a counselor-to-client ratio of 1:6, and staff includes an addiction psychiatrist, a medical doctor certified in addiction medicine, registered nurses, and numerous licensed clinical addictions specialists and counselors.

According to the center’s website, capacity in the residential program stands at 50, and in the extended care program, 24. Residents live in gender-separate facilities on a beautiful woodsy campus that features both a creek and a lake. Shared bedrooms are simple and modern, and there’s an attractive communal sunroom.

Activities such as yoga and meditation are highly encouraged, and individuals have access to a fully equipped fitness room, a volleyball court, and hiking trails. A handful of Rehabs.com reviewers commented on the facility’s delicious food.

Of the seven alumni who were questioned by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing, five alumni provided positive reviews, and two alumni left negative feedback.

Some alumni credited the center for saving their lives. Former clients also noted the quality of treatment, compassionate staff, and a solid aftercare program in their Rehabs.com reviews. “It saved my life… I learned what my problem really was, and I was given the tools to commence my recovery,” D.L.A. wrote Rehabs.com.

J.K.K. felt that despite inadequate gym time, the center was a “good foundation to reenter the world.” And alum A.D. gave high ratings across the board, writing: "No price for life!”

To date, the two anonymous reviewers polled by Rehabs.com provided positive feedback.

A parent called it a “wonderful facility in a beautiful location away from stresses of ‘normal’ life," and told of their son who “did very well” here, and of their daughter who found the program “far superior” to other programs.

Also written anonymously, the child of former Pavillon client gave a four-star rating for treatment effectiveness, and noted they would recommend the center. “Outstanding staff and facility,” they wrote.

The one staff member surveyed by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing provided a negative review. Despite noting its “beautiful setting,” Cecile pointed out some weaknesses. “Unqualified staff & management. Out-of-touch board. Overpriced for sub-standard treatment. Scant security in isolated environment,” she wrote.

According to the center’s website, Pavillon works with insurance companies to facilitate reimbursement, though it does not work with, or file claims for, patients covered under Medicare, Medicaid, and Tricare.

Updated March 2017

Published on April 2017

I went 10 years ago. I would describe it as five star facility with a high turnover ego driven staff. AA 12 step only with no tolerance for any other science based or alternative therapies. CEO has been their forever and it might help if their were new leadership. For the cost their are better places to send your loved ones than the pavilion.

Left treatment worse off than when I went. Communication amongst staff is horrible. Told by counselor one thing about length of stay. He later denied telling me that. Of course I,the patient miss heard what he really said. Staff at times did not show up to group. Other times were late. Miscomunication on length of stay especially with professionals. Staff's ego was too much. A note was documented on me for an "appointment" I did not have. I checked my medical records and found multiple errors that may cause even more harm. Mind games they play are damaging. Would not recommend this place to anyone.

I wouldn't go here again. I went to an equally intense facility after here (because months of pavillon left me far worse off than when I entered and reeling with emotional damage), so it was not the intensity I was turned off by, because the other facility was amazing!! If she still works there, avoid one specific woman like she's the black plague!! The mind games they play are insidious and for professionals obsessed with others shedding our own egos and identities, they sure are ego-driven people! It has been over 5 years and I felt compelled to write this as I am still dealing the negative consequences of the damage they did to my family so long after. I have been sober over 5 years, but after leaving here I was no closer to this at all. It took a place that focuses on compassion to wake me up, not a place that focuses on insults and tearing you down to build you back up. Please look up other places!!

My experience at Pavillion, 7 years ago, gave me a truly amazing life! I believe it to be the best treatment center in the country. I have many friends who attended other rehabs, non of which had the type of care that came close to my experience at Pavillion. They gave me the tools I needed, and still use today, to live a wonderful life on life's terms! Their alumni attention is also very strong.

I loved my time at Pavilion. I felt that I was well taken care of and well loved while there. The staff genuinely cares about my well-being.

Highly structured program; only complaint was not enough gym time; nearly all professional staff were sober; good foundation to reenter the world.

Beautiful setting. Perceived competence. Several skilled counselors. Unqualified staff & management. Out-of-touch board. Overpriced for sub-standard treatment. Scant security in isolated environment.

This was a wonderful facility in a beautiful location away from stresses of "normal" life. The people are kind and caring. A bit on the expensive side; more insurances should be accepted. My son did very well here. My daughter did well, but then fell back into old habits. That was her fault for not following through as she should have.

Caring, peaceful, beautiful setting, well away from city. Liked it better with previous owners, but still an excellent facility. Much better than the ones we tried in Florida. My son did very well here. My daughter felt it's programs were far superior to several facilities she went to in Florida. The people are all kind and caring.

Strengths: Country Club environment , with beauty full grounds, Fantastic food, CLEAN , calm. Weaknesses: High turnover of employees/counselors/administrators Treatment is based on a Negative approach of integrity, as opposed to positive reinforcement. Close minded on alternative theory. Be prepared to be stripped of all personal recognition with clothing / articles / even Spiritual connection. Men and women are NOT allowed to interact , yet stand in food lines together, 'Recognition of Self' , and politeness to others is forbidden, yes Forbidden . [ simple 'hello' or 'holding a door open' ] type behavior between sex'es earned demerits. I feel association is part of Healthy Growth interacting

Went to a local detox. Relapsed the next day.

Accommodations, Counselors, and Food were all first class. I personally went through the program as an Alcoholic, I was detoxed and then put into primary care. Bottom line Pavillon saved my life!

My rich ex husband went to this $18,000 a month rehab for sex and drug addiction. They assured me back in Texas that they were going to "put my family back together", instead, they did not tell ME when the REHAB GRADUATION even was, instead my ex had his very young girlfriend fly up for the graduation, not me. This was OKAY obviously and, of course, when I found out about it I was and still am very angry. You go there and just write all your gripes and hurts, then burn them in some big meaningless ceremony. My ex thought it was grand and built them a gazebo.

The accomodations were nice, food was delicious, but the staff had much to be desired. Very few took a personal interest in your recovery, and once you left, they wanted nothing to do with you. There was no support after your stay. I was very disappointed.

Exceptional facility and services. Don't be fooled by many of the spa-like amenities — this is a place rooted in the 12 Steps and is completely focused on recovery of the individual while operating in a warm and welcoming environment.

The Pavilon has extensive experience in treatment options geared specifically to the individual. The on going program and efficacy are excellent, their aftercare and treatment options are designed to reach a wide variety of ages, socio-economic, psychological and addictive behaviors in an amazing setting. It saved my life, it was a success, I learned what my problem really was, and I was given the tools to commence my recovery.

Outstanding staff and facility.

I don't think an alcoholic needs to be locked in, I think we should at least have TV's in our room...Felt like it was more of a place for psych patients.

Would recommend this place.

No price for life!

Silver Ridge
  • 12 Acres of Secluded Property
  • Spacious Rooms
  • Contemplative Spaces
Crest View Recovery Center
  • Accepts Aetna, United Healthcare, UMR, Cigna and other "big name" insurance companies
  • Medical Director is a psychiatrist and sees all the clients
  • Healing in the mountains of Western NC