Pine Grove Behavioral Health & Addiction Services in Hattiesburg, MS

2255 Broadway Drive
Hattiesburg MS 39402

Pine Grove Behavioral Health & Addiction Services Philosophy

Pine Grove has gained a reputation as one of the most comprehensive mental health and substance abuse treatment facilities in the country. Since 1984, the drug and alcohol treatment center has been providing individuals with high-quality, cross-disciplinary addiction care that effectively addresses all facets of the disease. The facility is committed to changing lives through broad-reaching treatment options, giving each client the education and tools necessary to live a long and fulfilling life of sobriety.

• Detox
    Though not all rehab facilities offer “medical detoxification,” all people with an addiction to drugs or alcohol will experience intense physical and emotional changes and discomfort as their bodies react to withdrawal of the addictive substance. Many people use the term “detox” to refer to the period of time (ranging from a few days to a week) when the body is reacting to an addict’s decision to stop using.

Yoga

Recreation Therapy

Exercise/Fitness

Rehabs.com Editorial Review

ABOUT PINE GROVE BEHAVIORAL HEALTH & ADDICTION SERVICES

Set on 22 acres of wooded land in southern Mississippi, Pine Grove provides substance abuse and psychiatric treatment to adults and adolescents. The facility offers a wide range of specialized residential services, including gender- and age-specific addiction programs, dual diagnosis treatment for co-occurring substance abuse and mental health disorders, and a program for sex addiction. Detox services are available on-site.

According to Pine Grove’s website, the center offers a myriad of services including residential programs, outpatient programs, and intensive workshops.

The initial evaluation includes extensive psychological testing and addiction evaluation. Then clients are assigned to the appropriate group for treatment. In addition to the sex addiction program, which is called the Gratitude Program for Sexual Addiction, there are programs for men (Next Step Men’s Program) and women (the Women’s Center). The Legacy Program is for Older Adults is a group is for clients 55 years old and over.

Treatment varies slightly from program to program, but all programs use the same basic principles. The center utilizes individual and group therapy, and are grounded in the 12-step philosophy. Evidence-based practices such as cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) are combined with experiential activities like art therapy and weekly rope-course challenges. A five-day family program is also offered for loved ones.

Outpatient services are also available at Pine Grove and in includes an assessment, medication management, individual therapy, marital therapy, and family therapy.

According to the center’s website, because it is an extension of Forrest General Hospital, Pine Grove has a full medical team on staff. The facility also employs a psychiatrist, an addictionologist, and a certified dietician, as well as nurses, clinical therapists, and counselors.

Residents live in comfortable, community environments with their treatment group. Of particular note is the Women’s Center, which accommodates group members in a 10,000 square-foot, Southern-style manor with an outdoor pool.

Of the eight alumni who were surveyed by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing, six gave gave positive reviews.

Michael had nothing but the highest praise for Pine Grove. “I honestly believe Pine Grove saved my life,” he wrote. “I don't think I would be sober today without my stay there.... Pine Grove taught me how to live and be happy in my new sober world.”

And S.T., too, was pleased with the benefits and results of the program. “I was skeptical about how much I'd be able to gain and I am glad to say that I was surprised with the benefits and results of the program,” they wrote. Another alum, Noah, agreed, he wrote:“Fantastic value proposition great staff and a solid facility. Strong sense of community and working together while focusing on the individuals needs. Highly recommend.”

Another alumn gave the facility five out of five stars overall, but wrote: “Food at the Women's Center was terrible and very restrictive as far as options. Hospital food. No outside food was allowed.Phone privileges were too restrictive. Maximum of 40 minutes per week.”

However, one alumn rated the center poorly and commented that it had no strengths and wrote: “Don’t go there.”

The 15 loved ones who were polled by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing gave mixed reviews. On average, loved ones gave the facility 3.78 stars out of five when asked if they would recommend Pine Grove.

Loved ones did rated the facility high for cleanliness and the staff’s experience. A loved one wrote: “This center is very professional and the staff is super helpful and smart,” but did comment that it was expensive and that treatment lasted too long. Another loved one echoed that thought and wrote:“This place is very expencive but one of the best in business and best in region.

A loved ones who had a negative experience at Pine Grove wrote: “It seemed like they over diagnosed her, and said she had more addictions than she did instead of focusing on the main problem(s).”

The two staff members who were surveyed by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing gave mixed reviews.

Darrin told Rehabs.com: "90 day required stay, too expensive, counselors dictate decisions to medical staff. 12 step only. Does not follow evidence based." Darrin gave only two stars for the effectiveness of treatment and the quality of the food and accommodations.

However, another former staff member gave the facility high marks in almost every category and wrote: “I worked at this facility for several years. I saw many patients start on their road to recovery through this facility.”

Pine Grove accepts most major insurance providers and offers financing options to cover the cost of treatment. The facility’s official website does not provide the exact cost of treatment, but does state that it varies depending on program, length of stay, insurance, and other variables.

Updated January 2017

Published on January 2017

The drug and alcohol rehab is a standard 12 step 90 day deal. I am a physician and got moved over to the professional enhancement program. I was there for 6 weeks and went back every 6 months for 4 years. I changed my care and I'm much more relaxed. Avoid the professional enhancement program. Look up the assessments in Kansas. The PEP program therapists are not bad people. It is a very intense place. You will be followed with polygraph tests. It is an environment where it easy to get overdiagnosed and overtreated.

Pine Grove is great depending what program your going in. The drug and addiction stuff is all very good but they also treat local psychiatric and seriously mentally ill at a separate location. I can imagine being committed or held for observation is not pleasant but I never had to experience any of that being at the womens facility.

I checked myself in to Pine Grove Women's Center hoping to receive help for alcohol abuse AND depression BUT that didn't happen!!! The only thing they addressed was alcohol/drug addictions and when I asked about the the treatment of my depression, they threatened to send me to the psych ward! If you are ONLY in need of alcohol or drug rehab, PG is okay! If you need a dual diagnosis facility, DO NOT go to Pine Grove!

I honestly feel like Pine Grove is a hack establishment. I have had one friend and one family member recently go for suicide attempts and both times, when I asked them how the therapy was going each one (on seperate occassions) replied "Well not really at all. We have "group" therapy." Apparently they don't have one on one therapy sessions regularly with their own specific Dr. that really address the needs and issues of the patients. The close (minor) family member of mine that went gained 6 pounds in one week when she went . She told us all they did was feed her terrible food and attend those group therapy sessions. My other friend said that they had to write their names on a sheet of paper and then find a word that describes them for each letter of their name as one of the group therapy exercises. I'm no mental health professional but that sounds like utter nonesense. They LOVE doping the patients up though apparently. My family member that went was a minor and they needed the mothers permission to administer meds...

I was forced into treatment one time... I stayed there two days no individual accounts and nobody cared about you the only thing anyone ever cared about is keeping their routine to their satisfaction and every time they said something all the patients better jump or they will treat you even worse I recommend never to go to this hospital if you have borderline personality or a psychiatric disorder unless you are also doing a boatload of drugs and alcohol then that is the place for you

excellent, compassionate care. I was given the tools to leave and stay sober for a year now, and it has not been an easy year. No hospital environment is perfect, you will never like everyone you come in contact with...especially if you are beginning to recover from trauma and or addiction. You only get out of these programs what you put into them. So if you arrive to nitpick your treatment and diagnose your medical professionals, you aren't going to be 'happy' anywhere. This place saved my life and my marriage. It was painful, uncomnfortable and I learned a lot about myself that has served me well since I have left. It's no more religious than a 12 step meeting and the staff made every effort to accomodate my spiritual needs and I am not a christian. They can help you if you want to be helped.

Left after three days. I have private insurance, which paid for 80% of the bill ($7000). I hope my insurance followed up. At least half of patients were on Medicaid. I'm sure they must bill Medicaid differently. I'm sure those on government assistance prefer Pine Grove over the state hospital. That being said, the next time I have an "existential crisis", I will take my dogs camping for a week or two instead of seating help locally. The psychiatrist that spoke to me for 15 minutes was especially horrible, but I'll complain about him elsewhere. Stay away if you are actually seeking to improve yourself.

I went to Pine Grove in may for opiate addiction. Having no other rehab experience to judge it by, I liked it till I left an went to Copac. The counselors at Pine Grove are hit an miss. Two of the women are good while one of the men staff members is so so. They thrive on instigating conflict bw clients an love to pick out favorites an reward people who snitch on other people having tobacco or petty issues. They also lied to us about not knowing what was wrong with the computer being slow only to later find out they did that on purpose. They treat tobacco like its heroin an caused a lot of resentment toward me. I wok led highly recommend going to Copac in Brandon, Ms over pine Grove any day of the week. I was clean at pine Grove but got sober at Copac. THE HEAD guy of Pine Grove drug rehab is really nice but is a liar an a manipulative push over.

This place is a complete joke. They claim to be a dual diagnosis facility but have no idea how to approach a patient with mental illness. A psychiatrist was supposed to follow up on my blood tests with me 2 days after results were back and it took 3 weeks for me to even see a doctor. When I finally spoke with a psychiatrist he was unable to recognize my bizarre behavior as hypo manic. Baffling to me in hindsight. I would never recommend nor have I ever recommended Pine Grove to anyone. 12 steps does not work and I was repeatedly forced to attend meetings and chastised for not believing in a higher power. Simply put, 12 steps does not work. Broken down, the success rate is barely 10%. It is not worth the money or time to send a loved one or attend a 12 step program. Especially Pine Grove. The "professionals" here are misguided as to what constitutes a healthy and proper recovery and they will misguide you or your loved one. I was sent home before completing "treatment" because my parents were told they did not have the facilities to accommodate me. All in all, this place is a disaster.

Family Program was strong. Weak documentation practices, inexperienced therapists, minimal mental health support, lack of communication with family on tough cases. The food is completely unhealthy. Much of the cooking is done with large quantities of butter, cream and lard. Excessive portions of meat. I would not be comfortable sending a diabetic to Pine Grove. The psychiatrist is just there for show. They do not put much effort into supporting patients from a mental health perspective. Patients with co-occurring mental health conditions would be much better served at another facility. Next Step is not afraid to hire therapists who have just completed a Masters program to work with patients. It's Hattiesburg though and I understand why they have a difficult time finding experienced, talented therapists. Pine Grove has a brand name and brand equity that's been built up over the years. In reality, they don't have a deep bench of talent and they are not making an effort to improve their existing team. Do not expect to find seasoned therapists working with your loved one. The experienced team members sit in their offices most of the day rather than work closely with the patients. The day to day work is done by low level, second or third rate therapists. I wouldn't trust my dog with these therapists. Their bios are still not on the website despite numerous requests. Pine Grove will likely respond indicating that the bios have been posted. Here is a link to the bio page-check it out for yourself. If there are 9 bios of staff members then Pine Grove still hasn't updated the staff bios and they are hiding the staff bios for the therapists who do the most work with patients.

Routines, accountability, counseling were all great. Cost, liberal visitation policy were some weak points. Insufficient research in after care recommebdatikns

My doctor barely spent anytime with me. Some of the staff was rude. I could hear patients yelling at night. Then, three days after I got out, I felt just as bad as went I first went in. It was not a benefit. It was expensive and not good.

It is a nice enough place but not reel helpful. The staff seems to care but I have been to places where the staff knew more things to help you. The doctors do not spnd alot of time with you at all. I do not recommend this fasilty

After looking at various programs for a loved one, we decided that a 90 day program was best. The 30 day programs don't work. If you are an addict, you are not the best judge of your treatment needs. Pine Grove men's program has been overall a great choice. The only negative that I can speak to is the lack of family counseling during treatment. I made this point during Family Week, which was a few weeks before my loved one's discharge. The primary counselor was also very reserved in our weekly updates and did not communicate well. But my loved one is happy with his recovery so far.

As a professional I feel my treatment there was more about building s case against me than being therapeutic. I was lied about by people I trusted had my best interest. My state's medical board no longer sends physicians to this place. A very high percentage of patients fail polygraphs. I went to my local police department to discuss my polygraph experience at PEP. A failed polygraph results in the professional having to return for one-two additional weeks. Thus having to pay a large fee and those days lost at work.

Horrible,staff is rude, pretty much spent the whole entire time there coloring in the tv room with other patients. I got more therapy from other patients than I did the actual therapist. The staff was rude and treated us like we were a burden,they would ignore us or roll their eyes,or accuse a patient of faking their illness. This is a very depressing place,you can't heal when everything around you is depressing and negative. There are no yoga classes,5 min out side break,the rest of the time we spent in the tv room watching tv or coloring. I had a horrible experience...I absolutely would NOT recommend this place to anyone. Nurse practitioner is a horrible person..she is very insensitive,rude,loud, and down rite hateful.

Do NOT believe the advertisements. Substandard care during the detox process. Unqualified staff, uncaring nurses. In the event I do relapse, I will definitely be more particular about where I go. I went there to get better emotionally, not worse.

At Pine Grove, our treatment team and physicians are among the highest trained and credentialed professionals in addiction treatment. Our team is committed to helping each one of our patients find hope and healing from their addictions. If you have concerns about your experience with Pine Grove, please contact us.

Good food and service just the staff needs to be more interactive and needs to have the cameras removed because they make me uncomfortable. So far so good.

Very good program

A good facility but did not have good holistic offerings.

Strengths: staff, hard working, clean. Weaknesses: don't know if rehab works. a very good rehab hospital, one of the best.

clean, good people, great staff. don't know if treatment works. i think the people being treated must want help.

Their strengths are they are friendly and helpful to a point . they are strict and that is exactly what someone needs in this situation .Their weakness is if you are coming in to get clean of one drug they give you medicine to try and help with the withdraws . This place is a great place to go for depression or alcohol . but I would not advise someone to go to pine grove that is trying to get over a drug abuse problem involving pills .

It was clean and the patients were in a secure facility. I can only speak to the credentials, professionalism, empathy and effectiveness of my loved one's therapist. She was ill-equipped, unprofessional,uncaring, selfish and unfamiliar with modern techniques for treating my loved one's conditions. I would recommend disclosure of the educational background for the therapist assigned for treatment. I would check the educational claims, personally and verify the therapist/Doctor, has the credentials and experience to treat me, of a loved one. I don't know how to circumvent this sort of deception, as the brochures and visits to the facility did not afford the opportunity to witness treatment modems, or results.

Pine Grove’s treatment experts are licensed, educated, and experienced in their respective fields, and our physicians are among the highest trained and credentialed professionals practicing in the addiction treatment specialty. Our team is committed to helping each one of our patients find hope and healing from their addictions. Please visit our website and you may learn first hand about Pine Grove’s highly trained treatment professionals and medical staff. We are proud of our staff and have published the professional biographies of each member of our treatment team on our website.

its discreet, good facility, does good job overall

The facility really helped my aunt. We were able to keep in touch with her and the treatment has drastically improved her life.

This place is a scam! Run as fast as you can. Their family week is a joke. I wish I had every penny back that I spent on this place...

We at Pine Grove take pride in each of our services, including our Family Program. We believe that addiction is a family matter that affects each individual differently. Our family week encourages individuals to explore these differences and begin a true healing process. Many alumni find that family week is a key portion to their recovery. We value feedback from our patients, referents and families. If you have any questions or concerns about your experience with Pine Grove, please contact our Patient Advocate at 601-288-4951.

Mixed feelings having been in treatment in both the Gratitude Program as well as the Professional Enhancement Program. Many of the counselors are excellent and I gained a lot of self knowledge both from the individual and group experiences. I do have some reservations: the longer you stay in the program the larger the list of diagnostic labels you will be given. All healthcare providers are labelled as having narcissism it bothers me that ever single person in that field that I met was said to have this problem because we had an "excessive need to be praised." I was told to read a book about a rabbit yes a rabbit and it was clear to me that the only acceptable experience from reading the book was to admit to being a narcissist. Essentially every single thing that you ever did in your life that you thought was noble or for the sake of others was in their minds purely driven by selfish needs. The PEP program was much much worse in that the smallest of infractions would be analyzed in a group setting picking it over and over again until nothing was left of you. There were also many many nonprofessionals there. I encountered several people who were professional only in the sense of being a professional patient and whose jollies were derived by attacking other people in the group and "outing" those who said something outside of the treatment center that rubbed their sensitivities the wrong way. If you do go you will get something out of this program but you will almost always end up being told that you needed to stay for a much longer period of time than you were initially told. 30 days become 45 become 90 plus. Physicians will find that they are expected to return on a very regular basis for 1 week "rechecks". I was so lucky to have escaped that fate.

My states medical board not longer uses this program for their physicians. I was personally lied about by staff. Many horror stories from people that have been patients.

We are proud to offer specialized treatment for professionals across the world, including many medical boards. Our Professional Enhancement Program is tailored to meet the needs of each professional patient Pine Grove. To help ensure that the professionals receive the care needed when he/she returns to the workplace; we recently launched a Professionals Recovery Track. We value feedback from our patients, referents and families. If you have any questions or concerns about your experience with Pine Grove, please contact our Patient Advocate.

My seven year old son is there and already I've been denied to speak to him even if he has spoken to his other siblings and grandmother. I don't trust others in taking care of my kids not even Pine Grove.

To ensure the privacy of our patients, we follow Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) guidelines for contacting individuals outside of Pine Grove while patients are in treatment. For more information about HIPAA, visit www.hhs.gov/hipaa. We value feedback from our patients, referents and families. If you have any questions or concerns about your experience with Pine Grove, please contact our Patient Advocate.

Pine Grove helped turn my husband's life around. The sex-addiction treatment program was excellent- they know what they are doing. However, the PEP program was truly instrumental in taking his recovery to another level; peers that were not able to attend that program did not do as well overall. Of course, recovery is what you make of it, and we also followed the recommended treatment program now for 2 years, going back for ck ups and reunions. The therapists are highly trained CSATS- very good. I really am thankful for all they have done.

Personable, approachable staff members. Need to improve their follow-up after discharge.

Good organization, with personalized services to give a better chance of addicts finishing and following the therapy. Caring staff and environment. A downfall was its distance from my home.

This center is very professional and the staff is super helpful and smart! Faculty is super nice and the center was very clean. The price is a little steep and treatment lasted too long.

I just feel like there is no compassion. They just want to get the person out asap. Whether treatment is successful or not. The staff is nice! That is about all I can say.

They could use more holistic interventions and more family involvement.

I honestly believe Pine Grove saved my life. I don't think I would be sober today without my stay there. I didn't have any negative experiences with the facility, programs and staff. Pine Grove taught me how to live and be happy in my new sober world. I can't say enough about the quality of care and compassion demonstrated to all who are lucky enough to benefit from their problem.

I went in sober, but looking for healing from trauma. I was skeptical about how much I'd be able to gain and I am glad to say that I was surprised with the benefits and results of the program.

very good experience with patients I referred

Don't go there. Too religious.

Great place to send a family member.

This place is very expensive but one of the best in business and the best in the region.

It seemed like they over diagnosed our daughter, and said she had more addictions than she did instead of focusing on the main problem(s). They were very negative and limiting.

Good place to go get help.

Family week was amazing. Key to long term success. Perfect for adult professionals. Saved my partner's life.

Pine Grove helped save my life but I know of many that relapsed or died. Most of the young ladies were there because of family member not because they were ready.

Food at the Women's Center was terrible and very restrictive as far as options. Hospital food. No outside food was allowed. Phone privileges were too restrictive. Maximum of 40 minutes per week.

Pine Grove’s Women’s Center treats women over the age of 18 who struggle with chemical dependency. We also offer treatment for women who have co-occurring eating disorders. Because we offer eating disorder treatment, our dietitian works very closely with the clinical staff to ensure that all patients are maintaining a healthy diet. We value feedback from our patients, referents and families. If you have any questions or concerns about your experience with Pine Grove, please contact our Patient Advocate.

Oxford Treatment Center