Pioneer Center North in Sedro-Woolley, WA

(3 of 5)
1960 Thompson Drive
Sedro-Woolley WA 98284

Pioneer Center North Philosophy

Pioneer Center North is a 141-bed, long-term residential substance abuse treatment center for the chronically addicted. Most patients have been involuntarily committed, perhaps because they were unsuccessful in other treatment programs, and may pose a threat to themselves or others. Services include detoxification, anger management classes, relapse prevention, life skills, nutrition, fitness, meditation, and aftercare planning.

• Holistic Therapy
    Facilities that offer “holistic therapy” see and treat patients in the context of their entire lives and health status. They treat the “whole person,” not just the addiction.

Anger Management

Relapse Prevention

Meditation

Rehabs.com Editorial Review

ABOUT PIONEER CENTER NORTH

Pioneer Center North is run by Pioneer Human Services, an organization that provides housing, employment services, and addiction treatment for residents of Washington State who have just been released from jail or prison. Of the numerous facilities operated by Pioneer Human Services, this one in Sedro-Woolley provides a long-term residential rehab program. Although Pioneer Center North is co-occurring capable, meaning they accept clients with co-occurring mental health disorders, they do not treat the mental health aspect.

In the past, most client admissions were approved by a court; however, Pioneer Center North no longer runs on the court commit system due to changes in state law, which have eliminated court-ordered treatment in Washington.

Though alumni mention participating in AA and NA groups, the 12-Steps are not listed as a core element of treatment. Rather, reviews indicate that residents participate in 20 to 25 sessions of group therapy every week.

There are relapse-prevention groups; anger management and process groups; groups for trauma survivors; and groups about coping skills, grief, and loss. Residents receive classes on basic living skills, nutrition, health, recreation, relaxation, and recovery. Pioneer Center North also offers motivational programming, pain management, and vocational training. Aftercare planning forms part of the treatment program.

Pioneer Center North does not publish details of its clinical or medical staff, but Rehabs.com reviewers gave on average 3.57 stars out of five for the level of training and experience found in staff.

According to Pioneer Center North, this is a 141-bed, semi-secure facility. All visitors must attend a family orientation program before they’re allowed to visit. Phone calls are available during scheduled times and at the managers’ discretion.

Of the six alumni who were surveyed by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing, four provided mostly positive reviews.

Reviewers generally awarded good to excellent ratings for treatment effectiveness, cleanliness, meals, and affordability, but frequently gave lower ratings for holistic offerings. Several reviewers credited this center with setting them on the path to sobriety, like Angela, who said: “The staff at PCN was a lil smarter then I thought and called me on my stuff and helped me work through hard times and gave me a better understanding of my addiction.”

Similarly, J.C. wrote: “Pcn was a great place for me to start my recovery process.” Another alum wrote: “This place is a joke.” But, then mentioned it helped him get and stay clean for five years.

On the other hand, recurring complaints cite unsatisfactory living conditions and inadequate medical care. K.B. told Rehabs.com: “It was worth the cost because I needed to get away from my daily life of hell, but also at the same time it was not worth the cost because I didn't receive treatmen that I think I needed.”

Alum B.F. commented: “This isn't a treatment center, it is a transition center for criminals. It's dirty, cold and the staff treats you like a criminal.”

The two loved ones polled by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing left positive reviews. They gave the center four out of five stars when asked if they would recommend Pioneer Center North. They also rated the center’s visitor policy and cleanliness high with 4.5 stars.

Both loved ones mentioned the “beautiful grounds.” One loved one wrote: “The facility is beautiful, and staff are great.”

Pioneer Human Services has a 3.3 stars out of five average on employment review site Glassdoor, based on 53 reviews. Negative reviews generally cite poor compensation and problems with upper management.[1]

CONCLUSION

Contrary to claims published by the Bellingham Herald in February 2016, Pioneer Center North is not scheduled for closure in 2018.

Pioneer Center North does not publish its fees online, but it does note it accepts self-paying clients. Reviews submitted to Rehabs.com indicated that clients and their loved ones found treatment to be affordable, and that the facility helps residents access state insurance.

Updated January 2017

1. https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Pioneer-Human-Services-Reviews-E608183.htm

Published on February 2017

Facility was ok, treatment and food was below average

Truly grateful for this facility program and staff. My son would not be alive today if it weren't for the amazing care and help he received in the 60 day program. He is now 1 year sober and working at a recovery center in the detox unit!!

Friends and family of an at risk drug/alcohol abuser hope that a facility they trust their person to will be the solution to their recovery. My family did. I attended PCN and I made a sincere effort to get the most out of their program. I was placed there as an incentive to my legal situation due to my substance abuse. The facility, program and staff were marginal at best. Many of the clients do not want to be there. It is a warehouse alternative to jail or homelessness for most. I worked on trust issues along a laundry list of historical components that contributed to my own substance abuse... I was able to manage my sobriety after leaving, in spite of the depressing and dismal experience and surroundings. You have to want it more internally than wallowing in your external circumstances. Sadly, there is a need for such facilities in our society. Not everyone wants to get sober and jail isn't a therapeutic environmental consequence. People who want recovery bad enough will find a way no mater what. PCN is a reprieve.

This facility was like a jail it only makes a recovering addict feel like a animal. The facilities are okay but this place needs a change of direction and curriculum... In short no treatment will work unless the addict is ready to stop they must make the choice sending your loved one to a place like this is not a bad idea only a waste of money if they don't put the effort in. K quit with methadone treatment after 7 years and have been to 12 treatment centers including pcn and a two and half year inpatient residential program called habilitat. In short u can show someone the way but these places won't change them be smart and educate yourself and don't listen to the first doctor who says it will work trust me I've been to Mexico and done ibogane treatment for 20,000 I did everything short of blood transfusions I couldn't get past sickness from heroin. In my opinion methadone treatment with outpatient and counseling with proper medication excirsize dieting and meditation is the best for someone who actually wants to quit but can't get thru initial withdraws and post a acute withdrawals.

They treat you horribly! . They ignore you completly!! I mean ... just look at the place?! >:-《. The whole place just stinks of stale cigarette smoke!! The food is not cooked all the way! That place is top #1 out of many, That i recommend u STAY AWAY from!!!

Pcn was a great place for me to start my recovery process

Its a lockdown facility with a detox on site. poor nutrition, under staffed, sleeping quarters are drafty. The program was a joke, but getting some clean time behind me started me on a journey to being nearly five years clean today.

IF YOU ARE SERIOUS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY THIS IS A GOOD FACILITY. LARGE PERCENTAGE OF RESIDENTS COME FOR THE SATISFACTION OF THE LEGAL SYSTEM AND DON'T CARE. THIS EFFECTS OTHERS THAT ARE SERIOUS ABOUT THEIR RECOVERY. PAY YOUR STAFF MORE..THEY MIGHT CARE MORE ABOUT THE LIVES THAT ARE TRYING TO BE SAVED. YOUR MEDICAL PROGRAM IS TERRIBLE. PEOPLE THAT COME INTO YOU FACILITY ARE LEGALLY SICK BY DEFINITION AND MOST HAVE PHYSICAL PROBLEMS. EXTREMELY INADEQUATE AND A SENSE OF "WE DON'T CARE" ON THE MEDICAL SIDE. STOP ADMITTING REPEAT OFFENDERS WITH MULTIPLE TRIPS TO THIS FACILITY.

The facility is beautiful, and staff are great

it is next door to a job corp which I find kind of strange, but the facility is nice

This isn't a treatment center, it is a transition center for criminals. It's dirty, cold and the staff treats you like a criminal... you are expected to do "chores" such as cleaning the toilets. They made more mistakes than I can list here. Regarding the food: It is slopped on a well used plastic tray. Typical meal is bologna and cheese, canned beans, salisbury steak, canned peaches, frozen processed chicken patties, turkey hotdogs. Overheard from people there, "This is worse than jail food", "This is one step up from jail food". If you don't have to go to treatment to get out of jail or stay out of jail, find another place to go! Otherwise, you will just be doing time and not getting treatment.

All the psych department did was MANDATORILY make me take my antidepressant meds. If not - I would get "points" taken awayAfter behaving for a number of days - you get the advantage of going out on walks in the beautiful area and also to play some sports and do arts and crafts. We also were able to leave the facility to go to AA, NA or CA meetings and have REAL CAFFEINATED coffee. It was worth the cost because I needed to get away from my daily life of hell, but also at the same time it was not worth the cost because I didn't receive treatmen that I think I needed.

When i got to PCN I thought it was going to be easy to fake it but the staff at PCN was a lil smarter then I thought and called me on my stuff and helped me work through hard times and gave me a better understanding of my addiction, I will forever be thankful for their help and support because of going to PCN I will be celebrating six months on June 21, 2014. I'm still clean and sober and there is no cost to great to achieve that

Sunspire Health Astoria Pointe
  • Detox
  • Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP)
A Better Today Recovery Services