Powell Chemical Dependency Center in Des Moines, IA

Individualized Treatment Planning
Crisis Management

Rehabs.com Editorial Review

ABOUT POWELL CHEMICAL DEPENDENCY CENTER

Located at Iowa Lutheran Hospital in Des Moines, the Powell Chemical Dependency Center (CDC) has offered alcohol and substance abuse addiction treatment for adults since 1973. The facility offers inpatient, residential, and outpatient treatment, as well as medically managed detoxification. A weekend outpatient program is also available.

Treatment at the Powell CDC is voluntary and begins with self-referral. After requesting an appointment via phone or online, clients undergo a comprehensive in-person evaluation and treatment planning session, and are then begin treatment at the appropriate level.

The facility offers inpatient treatment in a hospital or residential setting, in addition to various levels of outpatient care, including day treatment and evening/weekend sessions.

All programs are based on medical principles focused on rehabilitation and steady recovery. Emphasis is put on teaching the skills required for sustainable recovery and preparing clients to make social networks that will facilitate sobriety and foster connections in the community.

Moreover, there is family counseling, community-based education, an alumni association, and continuing support for those who want to be a part of ongoing recovery groups.

The treatment team includes physicians, nurse practitioners, and registered nurses, certified alcohol and drug counselors, and advanced alcohol and drug counselors, as well as master’s and Ph.D. level mental health counselors, chemical dependency techs, and clergy.

There is currently no information available via the facility's website or otherwise regarding its living arrangements and related offerings; however, based on feedback from the five individuals polled by Rehabs.com to date, the average rating for Powell CPC’s accommodations and amenities is 3.8 out of five stars.

Rehabs.com has collected positive feedback about the Powell Chemical Dependency Center from three alumni to date. The only alum polled on treatment effectiveness gave it three out of five stars, which is the same rating they gave to all criteria evaluated including the center’s holistic offerings, its affordability, and its staff’s level of training and experience.

Joel, on the other hand, awarded the program five out of five stars overall, writing that the program taught him what he "needed to do to stay sober." Even though he relapsed four years later, Joel still said: “I am so thankful to Powell and the staff for what they did for me, I only wish I would have followed the advice they gave to me just a little more closely and I probably would still have the same sobriety date." C.D. agreed, highly recommending the facility to others and telling Rehabs.com: “This program saved my life. The staff is awesome and treats its patients with respect. Nice facility with great medical and psyche staff.”

The facility’s Facebook page is not managed by the facility and has a perfect five-star average rating based on the feedback of seven respondents to date.[1] In a representative review, Bj wrote: “I owe this program my life... By far the best treatment program in the state of Iowa.”

Both reviews submitted by loved ones to date gave high ratings for treatment effectiveness, meals and nutrition, and indicated that it was worth the cost. One anonymous loved one wrote that the facility had a “caring team dedicated to helping my mother recover” and that “my mother recieved the help she needed.”

Another anonymous loved one wrote of the facility: “Good counselors. Friendly yet firm staff. Understanding staff.”

The facility accepts Medicare, Medicaid, military insurance, private insurance, and self-pay clients. Financial assistance is available to those in need through UnityPoint Health, which the Powell Chemical Dependency Center is a part of.

Updated December 2016

1. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Powell-Chemical-Dependency-Center/113955395301753

Published on January 2017

A 7-14 day inpatient program that tried to hold me for 30 days inpatient because of my insurance. It's a good program but I think they allow the business side of the program interfere with the actual treatment.

Good counselors. Friendly yet firm staff. Understanding staff

A caring team dedicated to helping my mother recover. I didn't see her as much as I would have liked. My mother recieved the help she needed. Sadly it wasn't lasting help because she is back to her old ways.

There was both in patient and out patient treatment for alcohol and drugs but too many counselors

Strengths: Strong direction towards AA and NA. Great staff. Great compasion for patients needs. Weaknesses: Size of facility. This program saved my life. The staff is awesome and treats its patients with respect. Nice facility with great medical and psyche staff. Highly recommended

I am so thankful to Powell and the staff for what they did for me, I only wish I would have followed the advice they gave to me just a little more closely and I probably would still have the same sobriety date. Knock on wood that I won't have to change it again. I relapsed 4 years after leaving the facility because I made the decision to stop doing what I knew I needed to do to stay sober

Sunflower Wellness Retreat
  • Daily activities outside of the facility
  • Highly experienced staff
  • Exceptional reviews on our website
A Forever Recovery