510 4th St. South
Fargo ND 58103

Prairie St. John's Philosophy

Residential Treatment, Intensive Outpatient (IOP)

Family Therapy
Individual Therapy
Dual-Diagnosis Treatment

Rehabs.com Editorial Review

ABOUT PRAIRIE ST. JOHN’S

In the heart of Fargo, ND, Prairie St. John’s offers residential and outpatient treatment to children and adults struggling with substance abuse issues, mental health issues, and co-occurring disorders. Residential, outpatient, and partial hospitalization treatment options are all available. According to the facility’s website, most residents hail from Fargo and Moorhead, MN, however it also serves clients from throughout Minnesota, North Dakota, and other states. Medically monitored detox is available on-site.

All clients undergo an assessment upon admission to determine the most appropriate level of care.

Treatment is based on the disease model of addiction. Residential clients attend regular 12-Step Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) and Narcotics Anonymous (NA) meetings, participate in group and individual therapy, and focus on the development of key recovery skills, which include emotional functioning, family dynamics, personal responsibility, work/school reintegration, and relapse prevention. The average stay in the residential program is around 12 to 13 days.

The partial hospitalization program (PHP) runs Monday through Friday during daytime hours and offers the same intensive treatment as the residential program, without requiring an overnight stay. There’s also an intensive outpatient program (IOP) that meets for three hours in the evenings four days per week, as well as a less intensive outpatient option that meets once or twice per week for ongoing care and maintenance.

The treatment team includes board-certified child, adolescent, and adult psychiatrists, master’s level therapists, registered and licensed nurses, occupational and recreational therapists, licensed addiction counselors, and behavioral health technicians.

The facility has 110 beds. Otherwise, there is currently limited information on Prairie St. John’s website regarding its living arrangements and related offerings.

Reviews from the 11 alumni polled by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing were mixed. The five alumni who were polled on whether they would recommend treatment at St. John’s gave an average four-star rating. These same respondents gave average ratings of just 2.2 stars for holistic treatment offerings, 2.4 stars for counseling options, three stars for exercise and leisure options, 3.2 stars for family participation, 3.6 stars for the staff’s level of training and experience, 3.8 stars for affordability, and four stars for cleanliness. The four alumni who rated the connectivity/visitor policy gave an average of 4.25 stars.

All former clients who were pleased with their stay described compassionate and dedicated staff, including A.J.T. who wrote: “caring, dedicated staff” but also noted that the staff seemed overworked and there were “too few doctors.”

The negative reviews made note of these same issues, and also called out a facility in need of renovations, as well as a lack of holistic activities. One anonymous reviewer wrote: “Too big a operation, not enough staff to take care of everyone's needs.”

Reaction from the four anonymous friends and family surveyed by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing was also mixed. When asked if they would recommend the facility, responses varied from two to five out of five stars, with a lukewarm average rating of 3.5 stars.

The most positive review of the four awarded the facility four and five stars in most categories. “They were able to diagnosis my son almost immediately,” the reviewer wrote. “They work great with the kids and make them feel at ease in a tough situation. However, there was not enough time dedicated to school work.”

A more critical reviewer praised the staff, writing “They seemed to actually care about the patients well being,” but noted that the facility was prohibitively expensive. “The mental health system needs a serious overhaul, it's not just this facility. He did receive the help needed, but at a huge financial cost. Most people cannot afford this, and that is why they end up on the streets.”

While there is currently no information provided on the facility's website regarding its costs, Prairie St. John’s is an approved provider for most major insurances. In addition, Prairie St. John’s accepts personal payment for services from individuals who either do not have insurance or do not want to use their insurance. A financial counselor will meet with clients to determine funding options.

Updated April 2017

Published on June 2016

Terrible.

Bad.Bad. DID NOT FEEL SAFE AT ALL. PLEASE PICK A DIFFERENT CLINIC

Local, caring, dedicated staff. Good curriculum/program. Overworked staff, too few doctors, small space. Recommended.

They seemed to actually care about the patients well being Way to expensive,a person having to attempt suicide before they'd intervine is ridiculous The mental health system needs a serious overhaul,it's not just this facility. He did receive the help needed,but at a huge financial cost.Most people cannot afford this,and that is why they end up on the streets.

This place is a Joke! They do not take care of people in here they come out with worst problems.. What choice does a mentally ill person have though?? This is why they can charge thousands and just push a person to the side.

I had a horrible stay.

Good facility but needs better holistic offerings.

I was forced to psj after a suicide attempt. I'm a transgender woman and I have social anxiety so I don't do well in groups of people. I was forced to go to group therapy despite my social anxiety which made it worse than if I had gotten no therapy and the one on one therapist they gave me kept misgendering me even though I know I pass as female because none of the other patients could tell I'm trans. Avoid if all possible especially if you are transgender.

The program felt like it was only directed at patients who were 100% committed to recovery. My brother was suicidal but not 100% committed - there because he was afraid not to be - it was an expensive experience which helped push him into bankruptcy & exacerbated his depression. It was over a year after his release he turned himself around. Fast admission process & good use of group therapy sessions. However, establishing professional post-release supports was difficult.

I was in for depression for nearly two weeks. I wish I would have had access to more of my music, which was a coping mechanism for me. I met friends, and it was a learning experience. I want friendly workers and- just seriously- I wanted to die and tried to kill myself, I don't need someone being mean. One day I was going to go to sleep before the designated earliest time we could sleep. I was tired and she came in and very rudely woke me up. The cafe was great for a mental hospital. Overall friendly, our days were very scheduled. Kept us of the same age together. Very casual among patients. Had some very unfriendly and just plain unpleasant workers, and our days may have been too scheduled. Three nurses were not liked at all by anyone.

They were able to diagnosis my son almost immediately. They were very nice. They work great with the kids and make them feel at ease in a tough situation. However, there was not enough time dedicated to school work.

I really have no complaints, they operate with the information they have....which is unfortunately woefully inadequate. ... Strengths include: professional staff, treated with dignity, nutrition was adequate, I really felt my counselor understood me. Downfalls include: faith based, (st.john) not enough focus on how nutrition effects recovery, how exercise can be one of the best tools. ...

Very old facility, dirty and cold. Great staff but not enough staff. It was filthy.

(Staff was) kind, always listening....clearly needs more funding (but) great place.

I was in residential and it was very comfortable. The mtgs for AA were great, the staff were very nice. The treatment staff were very accommodating for individual time if it was needed.

Falls short of what is needed, may work for others but not me...too big a operation, not enough staff to take care of everyone's needs... Not run like it should have been.

Overpriced and inadequate

I have heard from others that they don't understand the needs of rural farming families enough, but again there's not many options in the area

I came in very unhealthy and they would yell at me when I was too weak to attend groups. It's like they didn't even know what my conditions were.

I received more tools (elsewhere)....there are other facilities that are closer and that do not have such dated facilities and have more attentive staff.

Acqua Recovery
  • Joint Commission Accredited
  • A lakeside setting of mountains, streams, and waterfalls
  • The best education and experiences for your overall well-being
A Forever Recovery