Recovery Centers of America at Lighthouse in Mays Landing, NJ

5034 Atlantic Avenue
Mays Landing NJ 08330

Recovery Centers of America at Lighthouse Philosophy

Our high level of expertise has convened with the singular purpose of reimagining treatment and recovery. We implement research-based, holistic best practices for clinical delivery of benefits. These include extensive inter-family communication work, mindfulness education, personalized fitness programs, nutritional counseling, spirituality, health, and education for patients and their families.

In short, our multi-disciplinary team treats the whole patient. At Recovery Centers of America, we commit to practicing evidence-based principles in all our approaches – helping every patient transition to a life in long-term recovery.

• Medical Detoxification
    Drugs and alcohol have widespread effects throughout your body, including but not limited to the addiction and/or physical/psychological dependence that develops with substance abuse over time. Many organ systems are affected by addiction and will react to withdrawal. The term “medical detoxification” means that there is a trained and licensed medical professional onsite to monitor your vital signs and protect your physical and emotional health as your body goes through withdrawal.

• Dual Diagnosis/Co-Occurring Disorders Treatment

24/7 Psychiatric & Medical supervision

Masters-level therapists

Industry-leading staff:client ratio

Michael DeShields, MD

Medical Director

Dr. DeShields is a well-regarded leader in the field of addiction medicine. Besides his position as Lighthouse’s medical director, Dr. DeShields serves as the president of the American Society of Addictions Medicine (ASAM), New Jersey chapter, and as a consultant for the organization. In his role as consultant, Dr. DeShields mentors physicians new to the process of Suboxone detoxification, one of the latest medications for opiate detoxification. He has a private practice in addiction medicine in Camden County, N.J., and serves as the medical director of Camden County Health Services. Dr. DeShields is board certified in internal medicine and in addictions by ASAM. He is a graduate of Temple University’s School of Medicine and a part-time associate professor of medicine at the University of Medicine and Dentistry in New Jersey.

David Dorschu

CEO

Rehabs.com Editorial Review

ABOUT RECOVERY CENTERS OF AMERICA AT LIGHTHOUSE

Located in the scenic New Jersey community of Mays Landing, Recovery Centers of America at Lighthouse provides residential substance abuse treatment for adults and adolescents. Outpatient programs and medically monitored detox services are also offered.

According to Recovery Centers of America’s website, all clients receive a comprehensive evaluation upon admission to determine the most appropriate level of care. Residential treatment is individualized and evidence-based, and includes one-on-one counseling, group therapy, and medication management, in addition to workshops, recreational activities, the 12-steps, and discharge planning.

Outpatient options include a partial hospitalization program (PHP), which consists of 25 hours of treatment a week, and an intensive outpatient program, (IOP) that meets three days a week for three hours.

Weekly family meetings are held for loved ones and include educational workshops and multi-family group therapy. There’s also an alumni program offering education, support, and access to community events.

The center’s website states the treatment team includes a medical director, personal case managers, and other licensed clinicians.

The facility’s website advertises farm-to-table dining, chauffeur services, TVs, basketball and volleyball courts, and a modern fitness center. Pictures on the center’s website show full sized beds in beach themed rooms, and an outdoor space.

The three alumni who were surveyed by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing had mostly positive experiences with Recovery Centers of America. Most former clients gave the facility four or five out of five stars for treatment effectiveness, accommodations and amenities, and meals and nutrition.

Alumni also rated the center’s staff well with 4.5 stars.

However, one alum only gave the center three stars when asked if they would recommend it. They wrote: “Counselors are very compassionate, but there should be more individual and group counseling.”

The two other alumni had great experiences with the center, both noted they have been sober for more than five years.

On the other hand, a couple of negative reviews were posted on CiteHealth, especially from alumni concerned with the facility’s focus on money. One of the anonymous reviewers also noted: “They advertise one-on-one counseling. That is a lie. There group therapy is the entire group. In my case 30 people. Sex is not separated for group, so sharing is very hard.”[1]

Of the four loved ones polled by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing, three left positive reviews. Loved ones gave the center high marks for cleanliness and treatment effectiveness.

A loved one noted his father went to treatment and it was effective, however he gave his father medication “that made him seem very disconnected.”

Another loved one who gave the center five out of five stars when asked if they would recommend it, wrote: “Overall it was a good place but they could improve their food and nutrition program. Also they should offer more follow up contact and assistance after discgarge.”

However, one loved one left a negative review, and wrote: “Granddaughter spend time there and hated it.”

CONCLUSION

According to the website, Lighthouse accepts private insurance and offers some financing options.

In early 2016, the facility underwent extensive renovations when it was purchased by Recovery Centers of America[2]. The remodeling included new furniture, upgraded technology, and more gourmet dining options.

1. http://citehealth.com/rehab-centers/new-jersey/cities/mays-landing/recovery-services-of-new-jersey-inc

2. http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20160308006351/en/Recovery-Centers-America-Acquires-Lighthouse-Recovery-Center

Published on February 2017

My sister was admitted for a 28 day program and released in 5 days under uncertain circumstances. Counselors and mental health services were barely qualified to deal with her manipulative skills, although she was admitted with ample medical evidence of her previous relapses, hospital visits and heavy alcohol use. She was referred to IOP and told that IOP in Ventnor was in the afternoons, but it was at night and she could not attend. No appointments were made for her for follow-up therapy - and no specific referrals. There was no follow-up at all from The Lighthouse. She has relapsed multiple times, been to the ER 8 times with a BAC of .3 or higher. The Lighthouse was no help at all. Kudos to the other intake counselors, but they are selling an experience and product that was not as promised.

While the treatment is great and I have learned a lot about my situation and my counselors were very helpful, Great people and Program! I should of left my purse home but I didn't think and took everything with me to the program.

I was very impressed with the program that Light house provided for me .The entire staff is very knowledgeable and extremely helpful of course some go above and beyond in the guidance. and support they give to you .It was a great experience for a horrible situation and would certainly recommend this facility a 5 Star

Adolescent treatments which was a strength but very poor treatments. Granddaughter spent time there and hated it

My father has been sober since he left the facility so I guess the treatment was effective. They gave my father medication that made him seem very disconnected and robotic for a few days. The facility was very clean and nice.

The facility provided me with the tools for continued sobriety, it was up to me to implement them in daily life!

Great Leadership, Well maintained and offers great treatment

Individual and group counseling, Not enough extra activities. Counselors are very compassionate, but there should be more individual and group counseling

The whole experience was great but Not enough counseling. This place was wonderful. I've been clean for 5 years.

When I walked in the anger permeated my aura but soon I dropped my hands did the work and a foundation was build. I have done what they asked. Going to meeting get a sponsor clean house trust in God and work with others. Thank You seem to little but I am grateful. I have 5 years and I do what I first did when I walked in.

This rehab did wonders for my daughter. If it wasn't for her two counselors, I don't think my daughter would be alive. Three weeks into her recovery, her counselors came over to me and said your daughter doesn't want to stop. As I sobbed and felt helpless, they looked at me and put a scared straight move on her. They told her she would end up in jail, have everything taken away and looked at me and her and told me to get a life insurance policy out and to throw her out. My daughter agreed to an Oxford House, which she wound up becoming the treasuer. She lived there for one year, got her own apartment, excellent job paying her own rent, new car and has been clean for three years. I thank on counselor in particular for an outstanding job, I am sure she has saved many. AS for the previous post, They are they to help you with the tools, it is up to the individual to do the work. My daughter works a good program and I am forever grateful for this facility.

Strengths: Security, therapy programs, family friendly. Weaknesses: Follow up care after discgarge. Overall it was a good place but they could improve their food and nutrition program. Also they should offer more follow up contact and assistance after discgarge.

This should not be considered as a rehab for adults. This is more of a detox center. I stayed there 19 days which I paid for 2 days. I left there knowing that this program did not help me at all. 36 hours after I left there I totaled my car while driving intoxicated. I was told by my insurance case worker that they had signed off on me to be released. This was 2 years ago but I felt the need to share since I am paying my last of my bill from there.

Victory Bay Recovery Center