Remuda Ranch at The Meadows for Women in Wickenburg, AZ

1 E Apache St.
Wickenburg AZ 85930

Remuda Ranch at The Meadows for Women Philosophy

Remuda Ranch is the best choice for women and girls with eating disorders. We work with patients to confront their issues in a positive manner in order for them to develop a sense of their true potential, allowing them to take responsibility for their lives. We excel in stabilizing women and adolescents with acute eating disorders, and help them progress in our program to residential and partial levels of care. Our treatment program is led by dedicated doctors, psychologists, dietitians, and nurses who help patients achieve medical stabilization and support them through the stages of recovery. Mindfulness activities and life skills are incorporated into the recovery process. Christian focused and 12-step focused tracks are available. Our facilities are located on a ranch in the beautiful Sonoran desert, and are designed with patient’s comfort and healing in mind.

• Individualized Treatment
    Some facilities have an addiction treatment protocol that all patients or clients are expected to follow, while others customize or individualize treatment based on a person’s unique needs and circumstances. Factors that may affect treatment decisions include age, lifestyle, medical conditions, type of drug, religious beliefs, etc.

A multidisciplinary team of providers including a full time psychiatrist, 24-hour nursing, registered dietitians and talented therapists.

A focus on Exposure with Response Prevention including nutrition and culinary training to develop daily living skills.

A Critical Care Unit focused on medical and psychiatric stabilization, nutritional rehabilitation and chemical dependency detox services.

Jessica Setnick, MS, RD, CEDRD

Senior Fellow

Jessica Setnick, MS, RD, CEDRD has spent the past 17 years developing eating disorder treatment programs and working with individuals with eating disorders. She shares the nutrition counseling strategies she developed through presentations and publications. Her work includes The Eating Disorders Clinical Pocket Guide, The American Dietetic Association Pocket Guide to Eating Disorders, and Eating Disorders Boot Camp: Training Workshop for Professionals, each of which are known to professionals around the globe. In 2011, Jessica co-founded IFEDD, the International Federation of Eating Disorder Dietitians, with the mission of improving access to nutrition counseling and achieving insurance coverage for individuals with eating disorders. In 2013, Jessica created the first ever CEDRD Prep Class to prepare dietitians for certification as an Eating Disorder Specialist through the International Association of Eating Disorder Professionals.

Buck Runyan, MS, MFT, LPC, CEDS

Clinical Director

Buck Runyan, Clinical Director for Remuda Ranch at The Meadows, has over 20 years of experience in the treatment of eating disorders in residential and inpatient settings as well as private practice. His prior roles have included supporting eating disorder treatment programs as a Program Director, Chief Operations Officer and Clinical Director. For a number of years, Buck had a private practice in Redlands, CA providing family and individual therapy for a broad range of mental health issues including marital and family relationships, mood disorders, self-harm, eating disorders, and bariatric surgery. His credentials include those as a California Marriage and Family Therapist, an Arizona Licensed Professional Counselor, and an iaedp Certified Eating Disorder Specialist and Supervisor. Buck completed a Master of Science degree in Counseling Psychology from California Baptist University. Buck has served on the International Association of Eating Disorder Professionals (iaedp™) Board of Directors since 2010. He is the current past-President of the Board of Directors and is a Fellow of iaedp. Buck remains an active member of the iaedp Certification Committee. He was the founding chapter president for the first of iaedp's regional chapters in 2004 and has been involved with the development of multiple regional US chapters.

Rehabs.com Editorial Review

ABOUT REMUDA RANCH AT THE MEADOWS FOR WOMEN

For over 25 years, Remuda Ranch has provided services for women and adolescents dealing with eating disorders. Remuda Ranch at the Meadows, located on an 150-acre campus in Wickenburg, Ariz., offers residential and transitional care. The Critical Care Inpatient Unit allows clients to achieve weight stabilization.

Separate residential programming is offered for adult women and adolescents. Evidence based practices including cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) are used to address psychological factors that contribute to eating disorders. Clients will also participate in meal exposure therapy and issue resolution classes.

Clients will participate in individual and group therapy as well as educational presentations. Holistic and recreational activities include equine therapy, a ropes course and expressive therapies like art, writing, and music.

A hands-on culinary training program teaches clients healthy eating habits and nutritional meal preparation skills. Under the supervision of a nutritionist, clients will take cooking and meal planning classes and participate in other educational opportunities.

An academic program for those who are in school takes place in a classroom with a licensed teacher.

Families are encouraged to come to Remuda Ranch for a week-long family program to educate loved ones about eating disorders. Family therapy sessions are also offered.

The center employs a multidisciplinary team of primary care physicians, registered nurses, psychiatrists, psychologists, master’s and doctoral level counselors, licensed nutritionist and dieticians, family therapists, and recreational coordinators.

The 48-bed facility provides a comfortable environment on the 150-acre desert ranch. Official photographs show spacious bedrooms with three twin beds. Residents will also share living and dining rooms. Clients will have access to horse stables, an on-site pool, and outdoor sitting areas.

Four alumni surveyed by Rehabs.com gave mixed feedback regarding Remuda Ranch at The Meadows, with three giving staff compliments. “Remuda Ranch saved my life. It's use of equine and recreational therapy was very helpful to my overall treatment. The body image therapy and nutritional counseling I received was wonderful,” an anonymous alum wrote.

Another commented: "They treat two completely different disorders in the same facility, which I do not recommend!"

While one anonymous alum called family involvement "weak" they wrote that it was "worth the struggles."

Loved ones responding to a Rehabs survey reported positive experiences with counselors, activity options, and effective treatment.

"They really care about everyone," wrote one loved one. "They love it when family is involved it is really motivating." Another loved one called the facility "innovative." One referred to treatment as "long lasting effective recovery" with "many people there to help."

Remuda Ranch at the Meadows works with several private insurance companies including BlueCross BlueShield, Humana, Three Rivers, and Value Options. Financial coordinators will help with individual financial planning and payment options.

Updated February 2017

HFirst off, I would like to say that I went to treatment about half a year ago, and I am doing much better now. Remuda Ranch did have some staff that were caring, who helped me through some tough times, and right now I am on the track to defeating my eating disorder. I really liked working with the horses, and going to church, and doing the ropes course.. but my overall experience was not positive. Even though I am doing better, there were a lot of things about remuda Ranch that hurt my recovery. I would like to say that remuda ranch is much different than what is described online. The first few days that I was there, I had like 10 different bhts, nurses, therapists, and intake coordinators ask me about my very tough past. They asked "tell me about all of your abuse, sexual, physical, emotional, etc" nobody who just spent all day getting there wants to be asked personal questions by everyone that they meet. Those are topics that you discuss with your therapist, not the first five people that you meet. Secondly, I was there obviously for an eating disorder, but I was also there for ptsd, trauma, severe clinical depression, and attachment disorder. They didn't start letting me do trauma work till one week before I left. If you struggle with self harm, they will stick you with any bht whether you're comfortable with them or not. Some bhts seriously don't give a crap about you, so I finally had to tell the staff, "if you put me with this bht, I will self harm more." You really have to take it to extreme levels sometimes because a lot of the staff just doesn't care. Be prepared and ready to stand up for yourself.... Lastly, there is a therapist there.. she is absolutely unqualified to be a therapist. I won't get into the full story, but to give you a little bit, when I told her about my trauma she responded with laughter and ended our session. That is completely inappropriate and hurt my recovery . then the program director, he took about three weeks to finally switch me to a different therapist. so those three weeks were wasted , and I was stuck with my therapist during those three weeks making no progress at all. and I was paying $110 a day to be there… That's a lot of money just wasted. Finally I got switched to another, and she was an excellent therapist. If you get a good therapist, you are in good hands.

Be sure to ask many, many questions before you go to Remuda. Do not rely on website propaganda nor the promises of the intake coordinator. I was promised Remuda was the best place for me because my medical records and 2 hour interview notes was reviewed by their "medical team" and they could help me with all my problems. This was not so. If you're the patient, call and talk to the Better Business Bureau, call and talk to the psychiatrist and medical doctor, Just make sure before you go you know exactly what your getting into and whether you can trust this facility. I did and I WAS VERY WRONG TO DO SO.

They have very caring staff. They treat two completely different disorders in the same facility, which I do not recommend! They have lots of treatment options

They kept her alive and for that I am very thankful but it was just a joke to her. She lied her way thru the whole process. She has been to several other facilities since that one.

Good center but too religious. I am an atheist so this was not ideal

Remuda Ranch saved my life. It's use of equine and recreational therapy was very helpful to my overall treatment. The body image therapy and nutritional counseling I received was wonderful. Almost all of the BHTs were incredibly helpful and my personal therapist was the best therapist I have ever had the pleasure of working with in my entire life. They provide follow up counseling and a phone line that I can call when I am having difficulty. The facility was beautiful and the rooms and beds were comfortable. I do not know what the Ranch is like now that it has new management, but if it is anything like it was in 2009, it is a wonderful treatment facility for anxiety and eating disorders!

they cover a wide range of eating disorders and use treatments that work and they really care about everyone and they love it when family is involved it is really motivating, they provide group therapy so everyone knows they are not alone and they provide one on one and this place is literally on a ranch so the patients can actually get outside and be active and its in a pretty area

Strengths: Beautiful, Caring Staff, Understand the complexity of issues. Weakness: Expensive. Wonderful facility saved my life. I miss being there sometimes but will never go back thanks to the recovery I have reached.

Great staff. but Weak family involvement. Worth the struggles.

long lasting effective recovery, many people there to help provides outdoor activities during the recovery process, it is discreet. everyone i met seemed to really care about each other no matter what age you are they are all there to help themselves and each other i met a few young women were 19 and i met some ladies who were in their 60s so they can help no matter the age

The assistants are invested and compassionate and want to help. Excellent dietition but Too chaotic, everyone in one room and absolutely no time alone at all and it's constant noise and classes all day long, stressful, no time to think and settle the mind They are clearly not equipped to handle cocurring trauma or ptsd though we were told they were. They offered interesting activities that were memorable and made an impact, including ropes course and equine therapy...it's not about a feel good horse ride experience, but about communication and trust. They have a strong directive toward eating disorders and work to correct behaviors, however, they are rigid about going to loud devotional music gathering. Was way too loud and overwhelming. They strove to group everyone together to prevent isolation, but everything happened in one large room everyday...eating, tv, piano, 20-30 girls, big heavy doors opening and closing all the time, nursing, weighing, meeting, psychiatry appt there in the mix with everyone else, meds, and meetings....there was literally no moment of the day that one could have any time to myself for some quiet. You don't go to the bathroom or shower by yourself and you sleep with three other girls. It was crazy making and ultimately worked against my recovery in a negative way even though they had a good ED program. Any requests for mere moments of quiet or solitude were diregarded.

They give guidance to people they help people see how amazing they are they are honest and will let you take treat mm entry in steps and you also get private time. I found this facility very new and innovative with the policies and there is open and fresh air to heal to me it was like a 12 step process

Pinnacle Peak Recovery