12012 Boyette Road
Riverview FL 33569

River Oaks Philosophy

River Oaks provides a compassionate, comprehensive, and quality recovery experience for adults in the Tampa, Florida area who are battling substance addiction and co-occurring mental health disorders. Treatment programs focus on empowering clients with hope for recovery by looking at the totality of the person – spirituality, mindset, and physical wellbeing. By taking into consideration their special life circumstances surrounding the alcohol or drug addiction, they develop personalized treatment plans and recovery goals for clients.

Personal Trainer

Individualized Treatment Plans

Mindfulness Activities - Yoga and Pilates

Rehabs.com Editorial Review

ABOUT RIVER OAKS

Owned and operated by American Addiction Centers (AAC), River Oaks provides holistic, evidence-based treatment to individuals struggling with substance use and co-occurring mental health disorders. Set just outside Tampa, Fla., the rehab center supports spiritual, physical, and psychological recovery through AAC’s in-house-developed curriculum, physical activity, meditation, and rest. Medically monitored detoxification is available on-site along with three levels of residential and outpatient care.

Following a physical, psychological, and social assessment, each client begins a plan of treatment which is adjusted as necessary throughout the rehabilitative process to provide the best care. The facility’s website emphasizes the goal of empowering clients in their recovery.

If detox is necessary the five- to seven-day drug-specific, medically monitored process is provided in a dedicated section of the residential facilities. During the withdrawal process, therapists also work with clients to address related mood and behavioral health concerns.

The length of stay for residential treatment varies, but 90 days is the typical recommendation. All programs incorporate 12-step concepts with the “Embracing Change: Recovery for Life” workbook-based curriculum, which features an array of information about addiction, reflection exercises, and therapeutic practices. Depending on clinicians’ recommendations, clients may participate in cognitive behavioral therapy, motivational interviewing, or trauma-informed modalities such as eye movement desensitization reprocessing and Seeking Safety. Experiential therapies offered include equine, art and music.

In addition to residential care, a partial hospitalization or day program (PHP) and an intensive outpatient program (IOP) are available. The PHP meets for six to eight hours a day most days of the week and prioritizes helping clients to transition back to life outside of rehab, through sober recreation and building support systems. Similarly, IOP clients meet three to seven days each week, but for just three hour spans. River Oaks staff members also work with each client to develop aftercare plans and can provide referrals to sober living services.

The treatment team includes physicians, nurses, master’s level therapists, licensed social workers, and behavioral health technicians, according to job descriptions accessible through the facility’s website.

The River Oaks campus is described on its website as retreat-like. Photographs feature modern, comfortably furnished meeting and bedrooms, a beautiful lawn and gardens with multiple outdoor seating areas, and a basketball court. The staff includes a personal trainer and professional chef.

Of sixteen alumni reviews submitted to Rehabs.com at the time of this writing, 10 were positive and six were negative.

One of the most frequently referenced points in both sets of reviews is the relative newness of the facility. In a representative comment regarding disorganization, alum T.T. wrote: “This is a new facility. They have not worked out the kinks. There is not enough staff.” Angela wrote that the program’s therapy workbooks were not available during her first two weeks in treatment. On the other hand, Jim acknowledged the facility’s understaffing but characterized employees as dedicated and the program as life-saving.

About half the favorable reviews represented the staff as caring and accommodations as high quality. However, three critical reviewers reported issues with cleanliness and another three commented that their experience did not match what they expected from marketing materials. Two also expressed frustration with discharge procedures

Half a dozen former clients rated the effectiveness of treatment received four or five stars out of five. Two alumni complained of not enough one-on-one access to their therapists.

All five reviews submitted to Rehabs.com by loved ones were negative. Feedback was in line with alumni comments regarding misleading marketing, overwhelmed staff members, inadequate treatment for co-occurring conditions, and unresponsiveness.

According to the facility’s website, treatment is covered by many commercial insurance plans and staff members are available to assist clients in verifying benefits. Private pay and payment plans can be arranged. Graduates can also take advantage of AAC’s Brand Promise, which states that individuals who experience relapse after successfully completing a 90-day treatment program may be eligible for an additional 30 days of treatment free of charge.

Published on June 2017

Everyone was very friendly & knowledgeable. Treatment plan & curriculum is effective if you follow suggestions

Thank you River Oaks. Clean, very helpful friendly staff. I thank you for giving me the tools needed for a sober life. I would highly recommend this facility. Only complaint is one of the nurses very grumpy and discharged me with incorrect and missing medication. Said she would contact Dr and call in prescription. Now a week later not a word

River Oaks was a blessing to me, I am 5 days shy of 1 year clean and sober. I feel great.

Greenhouse was a very effective treatment facility!

Very unorganized. The first three days there I couldn't find out hardly any info from staff. After talking with other clients I found out this was the norm rather than the exception. The case managers seemed more worried about getting paperwork done for discharge rather than caring about what happened after discharge. The therapist were nice but didn't get to spend hardly any one on one time. They were dealing with mildew/mold at the time so I can't say many nice things about the facility other than there is an endangered hawk who may try to attack you as you walk the 12 step trail.... Overall I was very disappointed.

Therapists were caring. Most nurses were good,for the most part. The facility is too crowded for the number of staff. No outings except for one outside AA meeting a week. Recreation is much more geared to younger population. Sales people on phone totally lie. ...They need to stop lying to get people there. Positives,were nurses and therapists. Afternoon groups were garbage fill time. I would not recommend at this time. They need more staff for the 120 plus number of clients. I won't go back.

On my daughter arriving in Florida, I was NEVER given a call that she arrived safe. After calling over 7 times and finally reporting the unresponsiveness of the facility did they bother to call family to discuss treatment. They have NO REAL MEDICAL training to deal with REAL pain. Their method is to give Suboxin to detox...Period. Save yourself a trip, unless your looking for a warmer climate.

Im a family member of a current client. 19 hours in i finally got my courtesy call from family member, once i called the facility and demanded it. It was supposed to be 1st thing once she arrived. Then OMG! found out they put her on medicine I was not happy with. NOT REAL SATISFIED AT THIS POINT!!!! Advised that so far staff has been anything but friendly. Will update

This place is honestly a joke, I just left there. I had a family emergency while I was there and the CEO would not let me go. It took him another week for him to even give me a 3 day pass. Upon my return everyone told me they didn't think I was going to return. The food is terrible, some of the staff is good but some are just plain rude. My therapist that I had was very rude to me.

I WOULD FULLY RECOMMEND RIVER OAKS AS A GREAT PLACE TO START YOUR ROAD TO SOBRIETY. UPON ENTERING RIVER OAKS I WAS GREETED BY MULTIPLE EMPLOYEES AND MADE TO FEEL AT HOME . IVE BEEN SOBER NOW FOR 4 MONTHS AND HAVE R.O TO THANK FOR PREPARING ME TO BE ABLE TO CONTROL SITUATIONS ONCE GETTING BACK OUT INTO THE REAL WORLD. AS FAR AS FACILITY GOES, THE BEDS ARE SUPER COMFORTABLE, YOUR LAUNDRY GETS DONE ONCE A WEEK(BRING TWO WEEKS WORTH OF CLOTHES) ITS FLORIDA AND ITS HOT.... YOUR GIVEN 3 HOT MEALS A DAY AND A SNACK AT NIGHT TIME, ALONG WITH A THERAPIST AND A CASE MANAGER WHO HELP TAKE CARE OF YOUR INDIVIDUAL NEEDS.

I went to River Oaks from January 1 to January 30th 2016 and I am very happy I did. The facility is located in Florida so it was nice to be somewhere warm in the Winter. The staff at River Oaks was very caring and compassionate. Right from the start I was made aware of the rules I was to follow and It wasn't an issue for me for the entirety of my stay. The beds are extremely comfortable and the food is very good. You will often be given a choice of a main dish (Chicken,Fish,Beef,Pasta) and they always offered side salads. There are several different drinks which are healthy and they also offered Coffee. If you are a smoker they often have 10 minute breaks in between groups which are allotted for that. The days consist of a Town Hall in the morning where you are able to discuss matters effecting the group as well as ask individual questions. Typically all the staff attends so any concerns can be addressed. They offer morning Yoga and Weight Lifting/Exercise. I really utilized the exercise groups and gained a lot of muscle and endurance thanks to this. There is a personal trainer and all you have to do is ask him/her what you can do to work on any particular thing and they will help you grow in that area. I noticed some clients had injuries when they went in and were able to focus on exercise for that with the trainer. Moving on. The therapy groups are very helpful to focus on the keys to overcoming your addiction. Each day your therapist works on issues out of the curriculum and this includes group activities. Things like "overcoming anxiety", "relapse prevention", "healthy relationships" etc are just some of the many topics you discuss. You have individual sessions with your therapist and case manager to address personal issues you have during and post treatment (family issues, a good place to live, continued care). 12 step recovery is also incorporated into the curriculum to give you that aspect as well. I had an excellent therapist and case manager. What else.... there is a huge campus where you can walk or jog around and get exercise, there is a full length basketball court, they have tennis courts, they have a 12 step trail where you can mediate. I thought it was pretty cool that the CEO went on runs and offered it to the group to go with him. The techs and nurses were all nice and encouraging. Sometimes the lines for medicine would get long, but it all it took me was a little assertiveness and politeness and i was able to get what I needed. If you do well you get priviligages such as group outings..we went to see the Manatees in the Bay. . They have huge 65 inch TV's in every hallway and they would often have newer movies playing or sports. You have ample time to work on your assignments and get to know the other clients. Becoming friends with the other clients was one of my favorite parts. Many of them are still sober today. The overall atmosphere was very positive all the way through. I made friends who I care about. I liked the food and the staff. I went there to get treatment and that is exactly what I got. I've been to 5 other inpatient treatment centers due to my addiction. I have been sober since I left River Oaks (9 months and counting) and this is something i've only ever achieved once before in my life. As with any treatment center you may find entitled clients or clients who don't want to be there....for me I just tried to be encouraging to them and mostly stay away from the bad apples. I went there to save my life and reestablish my recovery not complain about everything. Some people just aren't there and thats ok, I found a great group of guys who were dedicated to finding answers to overcome this crappy disease. It was a great decision and I would recommend it to anyone seeking treatment. They also provide you with an Alumni Contact for after treatment that continues to make sure you are doing well and its someone you can call if you are struggling. Two Thumbs up!

A very professional place. Great food, with great activities to do. They had a very friendly staff and probably the most comfortable bed I have ever slept on. Made a lot of good friends who I am still in contact with today. This place gave me what I needed to build a solid foundation in recovery and am still sober today because of what I learned here. I am very grateful for river oaks and hopefully will get the chance to go back one day to visit as a visitor

BEWARE! BEWARE! This place is badly misrepresented! I spend 9 days there and it was 9 days of purely horrible. The staff is very uneducated, the food is horrible, the treatment was NOT what they advertise.

This was the first rehab facility I have ever been to, but would not recommend it. Definitely not enough staff, rooms were moldy(though they kept denying this-you could smell and see the mold), there never seemed to be enough nurses so many times mess were given late or we would have to be late for classes or appointments just waiting on meds. Some of the staff was very rude, however a lot of the BHTs And nurses were very helpful and kind. Very difficult to see a doctor or psychiatrist. I actually had 2 appointments where the psychiatrist didn't show. Case manager was not helpful and I never had much time with the therapist. Very unorganized. Most of the clients(including myself) were lied to by the representative about there being a pool and having outside trips and several other things...none of which turned out to be true. I did feel that the food was good and nutritious, however several people on the kitchen staff were rude. I would definitely recommend using the family therapist if needed-he was probably the most helpful staff there! Overall-they are just a new facility and have a lot to work on and need more staff and be much stricter on those that were breaking the rules. I would not recommend this facility at this time as well as rewarding the clients that were following the program, attending the groups, and following rules.

I was the 21st on the girls side ..it was only opened 6 weeks.. with all new facilities comes hiccups .. the BHTs needed to be trained emphasis on disease of addiction . It was a counter productive .. however in the end , if you don't want help than don't go. With anything, you get what you put into it .. life continued while I was there and it taught me to surrender to situations and people. I learned a lot about myself and others. I made lifetimes bonds like no other . Staff overall was good . therapists were good and the food was great. It's not a vacation it's a treatment center. I give it 4stars . For me it was a gift and saved my life and the tools a got from there I still have and still clean and sober ..

If your trying to get your loved one clean DO Not send here!!! They a full of lies ... So if one want to throw away your money...by all means this is the place for you. If your trying to get them clean RUN

This place is what I imagine a juvenile hall to feel like. A prison, where you are treed like you are 12 yrs old. Run, run far away! The website is full of lies, and the people that handle your intake will tell you ANYTHING to get you there. There isnt any real therapy. They just force you to go to groups... every group is the exact same. Half the people sleep through them, the other half write letters home. The good is frozen food, that sometimes is literally inedible. Food and drinks are available for short periods 3x a day, if you miss a meal (or are thirsty!) You're SOL! ...I don't think they'll be open for long.

Don't go here! They took me off my medical detox 4 days after it started... Please do research on River Oaks and send your loved one else where.

I didnt find river oaks helpful at all. The workbooks didnt come in until i was half way through my 30 days. The case loads for the therapist are way over loaded. I had to tell the nurses what pills i was suppose to get. The techs where great though over worked but great. Cant give any more praise to two staff members in particular

Intake person assured me this was a premier facility. My son has been there one week. He's been allowed or has without permission, been able to call family members and others daily, multiple times. Reports the BHT's, some are rude and unprofessional. He states nurses are great. He states case manager "overwhelmed". He says some of the groups are non productive and they're shown movies. I realize his opinion is hearsay, but, this was voluntary admission on his part, and his third rehabilitation admission and he notes a distinct difference and perceived lack of control by facility staff.

This facility is run in an unprofessional manner. The staff is very rude and there is a lack of communication between staff to provide proper care. Their only concern is money. I would advise everyone to find another rehab if you want to stay sober upon release

I sent my daughter to river oaks rehab, I was assured that they were dual rehab and Would handle her anxiety disorder. For the first two weeks her disorder was ignored even after I told the initial intake person and in person to the intake nurse. Many mistakes and unprofessional behavior by top staff members took place while she attended this facility. Lastly, they finally realized her disorder have weeks of misdiagnosis and her packing her bags to leave. She relapsed 3 days after she was discharged as she was unstable and ill equipped sobriety. Please do not send your loved one to this facility!!!!

Really supportive staff and comfortable community.

Yes this facility is new. Yes they have some kinks to work out, but this is a top notch treatment center. The case managers are overloaded with clients. I know of one who works 12 to 16 hrs days 6 days a week. The nurses are awesome and work double shifts. Now that's dedication to the clients. This place is saving lives. If they save just one for today, they did the job they set out to do. Thank you River Oaks for letting me live another day.

An overall great facility

This is a new facility. They have not worked out the kinks. There is not enough staff. The addicts run the facility. The case managers are awful.

Sunspire Health Hyde Park
  • Individualized Treatment Plans
  • Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP)
Photo of Transformations Drug & Alcohol Treatment Center