Rogers Memorial Hospital - Herrington Recovery Center in Oconomowoc, WI

34700 Valley Road
Oconomowoc WI 53066

Rogers Memorial Hospital - Herrington Recovery Center Philosophy

The Herrington Recovery Center at Rogers Memorial Hospital provides behavioral health care, including treatment for substance abuse issues and co-occurring mental health conditions. Services include pre-admission screening, individualized care plans, medically supervised inpatient detoxification, day treatment, and residential programs. Treatment options are based on the 12 Steps, but are supplemented with cognitive behavioral therapy, art therapy and family dynamics therapy.

• Client & Family Support Groups
    Group therapy is a vital component of addiction recovery treatment, considered as important and effective (sometimes even more so) than individual therapy. Benefits include reducing isolation and loneliness and providing the opportunity to learn from others in recovery. In the addiction setting, group therapy is run by trained professionals who guide participants toward a shared goal of recovery.

• Holistic Therapy
    Facilities that offer “holistic therapy” see and treat patients in the context of their entire lives and health status. They treat the “whole person,” not just the addiction.

Community Outings and Therapeutic Passes

Nutrition and Health Education

12-Step Recovery Principles

Cindy Suszek, LPC

Manager

Cindy Suszek is the full-time manager of the Herrington Recovery Center. She is responsible for the day-to-day operations and clinical supervision of the staff based on her clinical background and professional interests in addiction treatment and recovery. “I treat every person who comes to Herrington as I would want my own family treated,” says Cindy. “People come to us at a vulnerable place, often at their very lowest. It’s my job to make sure they’re empowered to give themselves over to treatment so that they can begin to live their lives again.” Among her many responsibilities at Herrington, Cindy helps coordinate the exchange of information between patients, their families and referring clinicians. “Keeping the line of communication flowing is key,” she says. “As the manager at Herrington, I keep tabs on every patient’s treatment to ensure that they’re getting what’s best for them and their families.”

Michael M. Miller, MD, FASAM, FAPA

Medical Director, Herrington Recovery Center

Michael M. Miller, MD, FASAM, FAPA, is the medical director of the Herrington Recovery Center at Rogers Memorial Hospital-Oconomowoc. He is a board-certified general psychiatrist and addiction psychiatrist. Dr. Miller has practiced addiction medicine for more than 30 years and is certified in addiction medicine by the American Board of Addiction Medicine. He is a Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association (APA) and the American Society of Addiction Medicine (ASAM). Dr. Miller is also an at-large director of the American Board of Addiction Medicine (ABAM) and The ABAM Foundation. He is a past president of ASAM, the largest medical specialty society in America of physicians devoted to addiction prevention, treatment, medical education, research, and public policy.

Rehabs.com Editorial Review

ABOUT ROGERS MEMORIAL HOSPITAL – HERRINGTON RECOVERY CENTER

Set on the eastern edge of Rogers Memorial Hospital’s 50 acres of tranquil, woodland grounds, Herrington Recovery Center provides residential substance abuse treatment for adult men and women. The program typically lasts four to eight weeks, and detox services are offered on-site. Herrington also offers dedicated intensive outpatient programs (IOP) for addiction, co-occurring substance abuse and mental health disorders, and adolescents.

Admission begins with a free telephone screening, followed by a clinical review by one of the medical staff who will recommend the most appropriate level of care. Herrington also offers a comprehensive five-day evaluation for professionals referred by licensure boards, regulatory agencies, or other supervisory organizations.

Treatment combines 12-step principles with evidence-based modalities including cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and motivational enhancement therapy. Clients attend group, individual, and family therapy, and participate in a range of experiential therapy groups such as psychodrama, art therapy, and recreation therapy, several times per week.

Medication management and pharmacotherapy are also provided, as are full medical examinations, nutrition and health education classes, daily living skills workshops, community outings, spiritual care, and 12-step support groups six days a week.

The Herrington McBride Alumni Association actively helps clients currently in treatment, and also provides support for all adults who successfully complete the program. The facility also offers a weekly Friends and Family program for loved ones.

A board-certified physician oversees the multidisciplinary staff of psychiatrists, psychologists, registered nurses, substance abuse counselors, behavioral specialists, family counselors, and dietitians.

Photos on the facility’s website show spacious, shared bedrooms, a cozy library and lounge, and a variety of spaces for quiet rest and recreation, including a game room and rooftop garden, which provides panoramic views of the forest and Upper Nashotah Lake.

Reviews from nearly a dozen alumni surveyed by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing indicate that Herrington offers a solid treatment program (including effective detox), compassionate staff, and a clean safe environment for recovery. Former client L.M. described the staff as “professional, caring, and knowledgeable,” and an alum named Dallas credited the facility with saving their life. The seven alumni who evaluated the facility’s cleanliness gave it an above average rating of four out of five stars. They also rated the staff’s level of training and experience a 3.86 out of five.

The few complaints included the facility’s high cost and a lack of holistic activities. And two former clients, Kirk and Kyle, gave Herrington negative reviews, both reporting poor experiences with the facility’s psychiatrist.

More than 15 loved ones surveyed by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing offered mostly positive reviews, noting flexible counseling options, experienced staff, and effective family participation. T.N. credited the facility with saving their daughter’s life, and an anonymous parent told Rehabs.com: “My son liked the group sessions and got more out of them at this facility rather than the out patient therapy he received else where.”

Only a small number of individuals voiced complaints, the most significant of which came from C.A.H., who told Rehabs.com: “Rogers and Herrington House did not live up to its high accreditation for us. My husband was a patient and we were both treated atrociously from day one.” Other criticisms were minor and included cost and lack of holistic activities.

According to the facility’s website, many national health insurance plans are accepted, including Aetna, Blue Cross and Blue Shield, Cigna, Humana, and United, but Medicare and Medicaid do not cover its residential programs.

Updated July 2016

My son suffered from OCD that had taken over his life. We sent our son to Rogers as a inpatient for 60 days. I cannot express how much gratitude I have for the doctors and staff who helped my son to gain his life back. My son today lives without the torment of OCD. My husband and I will be forever greatful to Rodgers. It's been a little over a year now since my son was treated at Rodgers . My son has thanked my husband and I for sending him there. I and I for sending him to Wisconsin ( we live in California) to Rodgers. My son is now 17 now and living happily.

Saved my life

Staff was very cookie-cutter in their approach, condescending, and wouldn't listen. They know best and you are there to follow orders. It works for many I'm sure, but not for situations that fall outside their neat little universe. Anxiety and drug addiction are the same thing, right? Evidently they are at Rogers.

Counseling was good. Distance was far from us. The family counseling options were great and flexible. The rehab was the best treatment facility we found and were able to deal with people and their lies.

Great staff. Understaffed. I thought the staff was very helpful and compassionate.

Good overall.

They did what was expected and if needed in the future they're willing and ready to help with anything we need not sure how effective the treatment was This facility will help you find out what might be a good solution to the problems currently at hand and the best way to start to address them

Great Staff. welcoming knolageable. people in there that should be in jail.

Rogers and Herrington House did not live up to its high accreditation for us. My husband was a patient and we were both treated atrociously from day one. For starters, Rogers is not equipped to handle patients with any health issues. At the start of detox, they made it very clear that they didn't want my husband at Rogers becasue of health issues. They sent him back to the Oconomowoc Memorial Hospital the first morning only because Rogers did not have CPAP equipment which they did not tell him to bring before we left home. When I traveled an hour to bring the equipment Rogers did not want to readmit my husband but they reluctantly did. I do not agree at all with the policy of insisting a patient come immediately for detox but then the patient gets sent back home because Herrington has no space available. You don't detox an alcoholic and then send him back home. After two weeks my husband was finally admitted to Herrington House where he stayed for 6 weeks. For 5 weeks of this stay I was treated like an enemy. Counselors of addicts should know that they lie and constantly blame loved ones and see through this, but no his counselors and doctors believed everything he said and treated me horrible, going as far as banning me from the house. It wasn't till the last week that my husbands counselor finally saw that he was lying and manipulating and denying everything. Needless to say they released him when he was still not even starting recovery and he relapsed after one week at home. The staff tell the patients that relapse is ok and they don't hide the fact that many patients have to return to treatment several times. What kind of a rehab place is this? If treatment is done right it should only need to be done once and the patient should be sent home in recovery or not sent home. Family members should be welcomed and treated as part of the team not as enemies of the patient. If you are considering Rogers or Herrington House, you may want to ask a lot of questions about care and check other rehab facilities before you waste your money.

I attended Herrington for treatment of polysubstance abuse/dependence and to help with co-occuring bipolar disorder and bulimia nervosa. To make a long story short, the treatment team was staffed by two overpaid and incompetent stuffed suits who did nothing more than observe run-of-the-mill group therapy, where clients were the victims of blatant favoritism. The Psychiatrist on staff prescribed multiple psych drugs without meeting me once, which led to me becoming very drowsy - which I was punished for. Supervision was incredibly lax. I eventually was kicked out for being late a few times to the morning "group" (sitting in a circle and answering banal questions), something I blame on the fact that I was overmedicated and misdiagnosed. Herrington is a huge money pit, even with insurance covering my Tx, they attempted for months afterwards to wring money out of my family. Please do not be fooled, the program is allegedly 12-step based, but the only meetings we went to were attended by other patients, and recently released patients. The groups were completely unrevealing as well, and the counselors showed no real dedication to their patients, nor did they have any real life experience with substance dependence. The food was alright, I suppose.

Was depressed and the staff came up with there what ever was the easiest thing to blame for it.

Strengths: Patient care, patient comfort, patient safety, patient overall well being. Weakness: one single counselor that was not caring nor understanding during treatment, in my opinion. I highly recommend this facility and staff, in the adult detox program, to anyone in need of this type of health care and counseling. The care and follow up outpatient treatment I had received from Rogers has changed my entire life, along with my own commitment to change it. Sometimes we just can't do it alone, and this staff is very good at what they do, helping people get through very difficult times in their life, such as addition and eating disorders. I had been an active heroin and opioid addict for nearly 8 years, and now have been free from addiction for three years, without looking back, following detox and my treatment with Rogers! It's an awesome achievement, and I am forever thankful for the care I had received at the clean and beautiful location in Oconomowoc!

catered to youth was a strength. Thank God they were there there to help my son; who is now doing great!

How to do everything in place so when you need to bring your loved one back you can because everything is already in. In the beginning it wasn't good but after the third visit they finally got it straight and we got everything worked out.

The professionals on hand was a strength but the cost is very high. You are kept busy and it goes by pretty fast.

Rogers (Harrington House), saved my life! I was going to die if I didn't do something. Harrington House showed me a new life.

Three treatments and the longest sobriety after any was FOUR months including follow up counseling, DOESN' T work for me. ZERO use in my estimation.....Many patients had individual needs, but zero counseling time spent addressing them essentially. I have two suicides in family (dad & oldest brother) NO facility has adequately addressed these adolescent traumas. Psychiatrist (contractor, not on site) was terrible. Incorrectly diagnosed me as bipolar. Awful situation. About three months with divorce following in another year. BAD outcomes all the way around. SO that is why the expense is just outrageous to me.....I won't fault a particular facility. All care was provided in good faith. I have very difficult ego and independence issues that yet continue. I drink alcohol EVERY DAY , just as I had since about the age of 30 while a high functioning Pharmacist at Mayo Clinic (17 years in Cancer chemotherapy treatment, NO errors of significance in that time ***). So I am on S.S. Disability for the rest of my life as consequences of #3 treatment were like the the dam that broke. Divorce & now all personal financial assets spent since about October of 2012. I am quite content to keep drinking alcohol as I have for about 30 years time. Treatment and AA did nothing to help me in five different settings (three formal rehabs and two extended AA participation durations) . . .The original 6 steps of AA are: complete deflation (never happened) dependence and guidance of spirits (never will happen) moral inventory ( I drank alcohol, that is the extent of immoral behavior. PERIOD..... Confession (to WHAT?) RESTITUTION (NONE because it isn't necessary) and continued work (GOOD but never got there did I?) . . . . . . .

Different treatment options were beneficial

Location, structure, programs, and care of patients was excellent. Programs for those persons that don't FIT into a category - mental illness caused by drug abuse. Neither drug abuse nor mental illness want them. It's so frustrating. The patient is doomed to failure as there is no follow up treatment. The facility was clean, the staff well-trained, the programs were strong. The problem we had was that my brother didn't FIT so was shuffled from program to program and because he was an adult and didn't want to be there, once his hold was up he was discharged although he was still causing himself harm and we were still afraid he would kill himself. But this is a state law to protect the abuser.

Staff is knowledgeable. Not as caring as I thought they should be. I thought it was a good facility they are very helpful in getting the process setup so when you need to come back you can come back but I thought you should be treated when you're there now have to go home and then wait for aI thought

Seemed very open to different treatments and treated everyone fairly. Old building, could use some updates or repairs.

They help a lot to get set up and ready fast. Staff is great. They do discharge a bit early though.

They had small treatment groups, which was nice. The food was bad. Wish it was more affordable so could have loved one there for a longer term. Had to leave early as no insurance and could not afford anymore

They had a great program with good support.

It was a good program and they were very professional. However, it was not cheap.

They have a very experienced staff.

Quick action, initial intake interview can be done over the phone, transportation provided if necessary, low-key, not much drama. The staff, from the doctors to maintenance were wonderful. However, they lacked holistic offerings.

The nursing staff, nurse techs and psychiatrists are amazing! I would highly recommend this place for detox.

Poor communication and guidance for parents/family. Unclear in program goals.

Excellent! Every member of the staff was professional, caring and knowledgeable. There are 22 beds in the adult unit, compared to another rehab hospital I was at where there were 60 people in our group and 3 to a room. You have your own room, with a bathroom. The group areas are comfortable and bright. Take advantage of the scheduled classes, I learned SO much in every one of them. I felt safe at all times, and have been clean for 12 days now. I know that this is not a long time, but for me it is, and I'm so excited for the future.

I was at the Residential OCD program for severe anxiety. I heard about a lot of the experiential therapy options but didn't get to experience them for some reason. For the most part, the staff was great.

The staff was great. However, the facility was over-priced in my opinion.

My daughter was near death ... we had attempted placement in other facilities and no one got back to us. We saw a program on Dr. Phil that talked about this facility and in a desperate moment I made a call to them. I was told to bring her right away and they would take her. They saved my child's life. They involved family by holding a family week for education and support in addition to weekly conference calls involving the patient, counseler and parents.

Good place to get help.

I only know my son liked the group sessions and got more out of them at this facility rather than the out patient therapy he received else where.

Helped me.

It helped me tremendously

The support staff was very caring. Everyone on your team is encouraging.

Some of the staff members at the inpatient facility were not very empathetic/understanding toward our situations. Some of them treated us more as prisoners rather than people who were struggling in life and needing help finding happiness. That being said, most of the staff were very kind and understanding. They are also successful at forming to certain patients dietary needs (I.e. Vegetarianism).

Would recommend this place to others.

The facility itself was amazing, it was clean/modern/comfortable. The food was fantastic. The counselors did a great job getting to know/understand/help me.

Felt very safe here.

Positive Sobriety Institute
  • Intensive partial and outpatient programs, independent living and mandatory after care
  • Comprehensive Assessment Program that focuses on a compassionate advocacy-based evaluation
  • A RiverMend Health recovery program
Banyan Treatment Center
  • Grow Through Recovery with Banyan Treatment Center
  • Banyan Offers Truly Customized Plans to Ensure a Sustained Recovery
  • Banyan Treatment Center Stands as a Leader In Client Care with Facilities Nationwide