Sacred Heart Rehabilitation Center in Richmond, MI

Group Therapy
Coping Techniques
Thinking Errors Groups

ABOUT SACRED HEART REHABILITATION CENTER — RICHMOND

Founded in 1967, Sacred Heart Rehabilitation Center provides behavioral healthcare services through 11 Michigan-based facilities. The nonprofit’s Richmond location specializes in treatment for adults struggling with substance abuse, offering detox services, residential treatment, and outpatient medication-assisted treatment (methadone maintenance).

Clients who require stabilization may begin their treatment with detox, which is physician directed and medically monitored. Detox clients receive both individual and group counseling, and medications such as methadone or buprenorphine may be administered to ease the symptoms of withdrawal.

Once stabilized, many clients move on to residential inpatient treatment. Programming is tailored to each client’s individual needs, but most treatment plans include a mix of individual therapy, group therapy, educational didactic groups and lectures, medication management, and recreational activities. Additionally, residents have access to medical services.

Those with opiate dependency can access medication-assisted treatment on an outpatient basis. In addition to medication administration, the program includes educational didactic groups, 12-step programming, and both group and individual therapy. Therapy groups address mental health topics including depression, anxiety, and eating disorders among others.

According to the facility’s website, the staff is comprised of physicians, nurses, therapists, counselors, and other experienced personnel. 23 reviewers polled by Rehabs.com to date rated the staff’s level of experience and training 4.3 out of five stars on average.

Few details regarding the facility’s accommodations and amenities are available, but 12 alumni polled by Rehabs.com on the facility’s cleanliness at the time of this writing provided an average rating of 3.4 out of five stars. In addition, the 14 alumni polled on the facility’s exercise and leisure offerings gave it an average rating of 3.7 stars. One alum, Dana, described the bedrooms as “musty,” and Steven felt that “for a place that's for profit I think the rooms and a few accommodations could be better.”

20 alumni polled by Rehabs.com to date all had positive reactions to Sacred Heart. Fourteen alumni rated the facility’s affordability an average 4.1 out of five stars, its staff’s level of experience and training an average 4.3 stars and its affordability an average 4.07 stars. The program’s counseling options received an average rating of 3.58, based on 12 survey responses. “Allowing the 2 hr after session 30 minute smoke breaks were a great chance not to be overwhelmed plus interaction with work on our own,” James told Rehabs.com. In their comments, reviewers also praised Sacred Heart’s staff, particularly its therapists, as well as its thorough treatment programs such as the 12 Steps.

Alumni were least impressed with the facility’s holistic offerings, which received a rating of 2.43, based on 14 survey responses to date. The program’s family participation and its connectivity/visitor policies were also on the lower end of the spectrum with respective ratings of 3.33 (based on 12 survey responses) and 3.50 (based on 14 survey responses). “The phone call rules are too strict/ I felt that people need to talk to family and friends while getting treatment,” Kerri wrote. Other criticisms centered mostly on its accommodations, with one describing the beds as “musty” and another mentioning overcrowding.

Overall, loved ones were more mixed with Sacred Heart than alumni. Of 15 loved ones polled by Rehabs.com to date, nine gave the facility a positive review, three were mixed, and five gave it a negative review. The highest ratings from friends and family members went to the program’s connectivity/visitor policies, which received a rating of 3.83, based on 12 survey responses. The staff’s level of experience and the program’s holistic offerings, which each received a rating of 3.82, based on feedback from 11 individuals, were also among the highest rated metrics. “When visiting my loved one the education received was impeccable,” one anonymous survey respondent wrote.

The program’s exercise/leisure options and holistic offerings, which received respective ratings of 3.18 and 2.82, based on 11 survey responses, were among the lowest rated categories. Additionally, some loved ones felt the length of treatment was inadequate. “30 days is detox, not rehab. My son needed long term care,” R.W.A told Rehabs.com.

Most insurance plans are accepted, and Sacred Heart works with regional Prepaid Inpatient Health Plans to provide low cost treatment to individuals with limited financial means. Both Citehealth and Healthgrove report that Sacred Heart accepts Medicaid and state insurance as well.

Updated April 2017

Published on June 2017

Very under-staffed. I was the second of only two therapists working for one woman. After working there for one week the other therapist quit and went to work at a county mental-health. In addition to having to provide all the group therapy and individual therapy and typing out the related reports I was also tasked with getting insurance authorizations and verifications and providing them updates. This was all required to be done without overtime. That was absolutely the worst place I have ever worked in my entire life! And I have had many excellent jobs in my 40 some years of professional employment.

Capacity, area, programs were good. The facility overall was a rehabilitating experience

Sacred heart has many good qualities. However do to them treating both men and women...so if your in a relationship with an addict you may or may not have a relationship when they come out.

This place was really great, I been to other places like Cpi and Turning point, etc ...... And this place by far was the best I been clean since 10-10-13 Thanks to sacred heart. Yes the rooms may not be the best but I seen worse and I'm not there to look in my room anyways. When I was there the only time I was in my room was to sleep or clean it. It's your responsibility to keep your room clean and to make your beds everyday this place is not a resort now. You wake up at 6 am and your busy until after dinner they have good classes and your kept busy the whole teaching you the tools you need to stay clean and get back into routines again. It's up to you how serious you are to make the program work. They have everything you need to learn and they have extensions also so you can stay pass the 30 day's you just have to ask your therapist and it's almost granted everytime. They also have a program here where they take you around to half way housing if you don't think you will be completely ready by the time you leave. Sacred heart really has a lot to offer its up to you to take the help they have and apply it. The staff are great and the food I can't believe how actually good it was and yes you can aways go back up for seconds or if your really hungry 3rd lol our apatite for food comes back so it's nice tHar they have actually good food. They sure do think of everything. I really enjoyed my time and it's in the middle of know where your far out in the boonies wich was smart it's not easy just to leave who wants to drove all the way out in the sticks you know . I read the other reviews and all I can say is people have there own opinion but in my opinion I highly recommend this place. I know I kinda wrote a lot but I just wanted to give a good description of my experience so others that are reading can get more better of a understanding especially when there are negative reviews that are not true speaking from experience since I stayed here I did my Detox and residential. And with phone time and visits you have to understand your there to recover and you don't need to be distracted by other things it's time to be working on yourself and your sobriety. You do have visits every Sunday and phone calls on your schedule day and of course there is a time limit there are othera who would like to make calls also. Anyways Thank you Sacred Heart for being there for me and others who need your help or needed it. I wish there were more facilities like yours around just saving 1person is all worth the work and effort you put in to keep this place going and I appreciate all the help you gave to me and others if it wasn't for Sacred Heart who knows where I would be today but I do know where I am thanks to Sacred Heart for being here.

Treats family members well. Dirty meals consist if frozen dinners and the patients are not given enough to eat

Many different things to offer than other rehab centers.

People were great. One on one counseling should improve. Was helpful

They have a FEW good counselors. The program is not long enough for success. I saw patients walk off the grounds and later heard they were able to get cigarettes and heroin. I was visiting my son while he was there and the fix didn't work for him.

Addiction treatments, not long enough programs to work effectively needs more family involvement

Can bring kids, good place but to many addicts

Great counselors. Unfortunately it's the only place that will accept state funded insurance and while the staff is nice, it's not a serious taken place

When visiting my loved one the education received was impeccable! This facility was difficult to get in to when a friend tried to with no insurance

Sacred Heart saved my life. I learned so much there about addiction. I love the staff there they are excellent.

Strengths: Counseling, food, support, for the religious the church, the classes. For those people who want recovery it's an absolutely wonderful place to be. Weaknesses: For a place that's for profit I think the rooms and a few accommodations could be better but all in all it's wonderful. My experience at Sacred Heart was wonderful people reached out to me took time to talk to me when I wanted to talk to them my surrender was complete so I was willing to learn what they had to tell me they go out of their way to try to help and to set you up with secondary care Sacred Heart is a wonderful wonderful place

It was a great facility.

My daughter has been here and she detoxes and then leaves before treatment is completed. ...

Many of the workers have been through there as a client. Each day is set up to keep clients busy. Goal oriented focusing on solutions. Outside meetings twice a week. If you want to make a change for the better and keep your focus on yourself for your stay I highly recommend this facility. The workers share your struggle and better understand your situation. However, there is coed without separation and clients tend to be easily distracted by opposite sex.

The nurses were horrible I hope the hire better caring nurses. I love that children are welcome to stay with their mothers and that the counselors were experienced,

It was very clean. However, there were too many people there at once and the price was nuts.

They have great information classes dealing with your substance abuse issues. I feel that don't have enough classes for the alcoholic. I had great experience there. They are very informational. If you there to learn, you will get a lot out of it.

It was a great facility.

GREAT therapists. The phone call rules are too strict/ I felt that people need to talk to family and friends while getting treatment. There were also too many people.

Positive group activities..recharge Sundays. I know of several persons including my loved one who went through program successfully. So they must be doing something right. All of the people I mention did not follow through with 12 step programs. Felt it was invasive and not for them. It was costly as well.

It was 2008 when I entered Sacred Heart so my memory is slightly fuzzy on some details but when I look back at my time there I actually miss it. I have nothing but fond memories and feelings and the staff touched my heart and soul. I honestly believe they saved my life. I felt safe and comfortable, I learned a lot about addiction, recovery, the 12 step program and most importantly myself. The staff was amazing. I enjoyed their program and the way they did things there. They saved my life.

It's great and it has everything you need to recover in an inpatient facility. The boarding /beds are old and musty. The rooms are all musty in the sleeping areas but the rest of the rooms aren't. I had a fun and knowledgeable experience at sacred heart and would go back to it if I had to ! It's like a camp for junkies ^-^

It was a generally great facility but with only decent family participant and cleanliness.

The staff was wonderful and I will be ever in their debt. The day to day activities were fair and helped me immensely with my recovery and educated me on addiction and the steps to work the 12 step program. I recommend this facility to anyone looking to get help for their addictions.

I enjoyed the family participation.

I benefited from the facility and felt there was a lot of consistency.

Didn't address the mental issues.

30 days is detox, not rehab. My son needed long term care, but insurance would only cover 30 days

If you are serious about freedom from your addiction this is the place to go. Sacred Heart saved my life! I have been clean for quite some time & very grateful for this facility. I have my life back! I have recommended this facility to a few friends and one of my friends is steel clean and has her family back.

They make you aware just how tricky this disease is and don't 'sugar coat' anything, letting you know this is a challenging but simple program- we(the addict) complicates it! If you truly want it and follow their advice, you have a good chance of success. But some of us (addicts) it takes a while to break thru denial and self deception.

I attended the first time only 3 weeks. I relapsed after 2 1/2 months. The second time, I stayed 6 weeks, and it has been 5 1/2 months with no relapse.

Everything was as if we were a great big family. Allowing the 2 hr after session 30 minute smoke breaks were a great chance not to be overwhelmed plus interaction with work on our own, taught by the CO's.

It was a very brief slip and I went back to meetings right away. Otherwise sober 6 years now.

My daughter is responsible for her own recovery, but I support her recovery with listening and love when she needs it.

They do both treatment and detox. The treatment didn't fall short, but the willingness of the patient. My friend completed detox and felt they didn't need any additional help.

As much food as you can eat. Positive atmosphere. Fun. Was set up with intensive out patient care when I left. Any institution that aids recovery is worth what it costs

These people treat you well, know what they are doing, but it is a tricky, difficult disorder to overcome. Longer stays might help, but I'm not sure. An Addict has a lot of work to do on his/her own to be successful. Early(in life) education seems to be the best possible way to treat this huge problem our society faces, as it seems to be affecting a large % of our population and has far reaching ramifications.

On her 1 year anniversary, they sent my daughter a darling hoodie jacket! She wears it with great pride!

Perfect place for me and my kids. WE were able to stay together as a family and get better. Best thing I ever did.

Photo of 3-Day Advanced Rapid OPIATE Detox Under Sedation
3-Day Advanced Rapid OPIATE Detox Under Sedation
  • 3-Day Rapid Opiate Detox for Heroin, Pills, Suboxone & Methadone
  • Insurance MAY reimburse the cost of the detox
  • Hundreds of patient testimonials
Behavioral Rehabilitation Services
  • All inclusive, executive, luxury rehab facility.
  • Vitamins, Minerals and Amino Therapy