Silver Hill Hospital in New Canaan, CT

208 Valley Road
New Canaan CT 06840

Silver Hill Hospital Philosophy

Providing substance abuse treatment programs for teens and adults, Silver Hill Hospital offers inpatient, transitional living and outpatient programs. Inpatient treatment primarily relies on medically-based therapies. Transitional living programs emphasize more behavioral and psychological treatment strategies. Outpatient programs include detoxification followed by intensive outpatient therapies. Group therapies, including 12-step groups, are the cornerstone of Silver Hill’s programs.

• Dual Diagnosis/Co-occurring Disorders Treatment

Multiple levels of care and specialized treatment programs

Experienced and licensed clinical staff

Convenient location

Montefiore Medical Center, Department of Psychiatry

Board Certification
American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology

Academic Affiliations
Professor of Clinical Psychiatry, Columbia University College of Physicians & Surgeons.

Ava Albrecht, M.D.

New York University School of Medicine

Fellowship
New York University School of Medicine

Board Certification
American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, General Psychiatry

Academic Affiliations
Assistant Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Yale University School of Medicine, Department of Psychiatry.

Rehabs.com Editorial Review

ABOUT SILVER HILL HOSPITAL

Silver Hill Hospital’s 43-acre campus in New Canaan, Conn., is located approximately one hour north of New York City. Founded in 1931, the private psychiatric hospital offers treatment for substance abuse and psychiatric disorders at a variety of levels. Adults and teens struggling with addiction and co-occurring disorders may enroll in inpatient treatment, transitional living, or intensive outpatient (IOP) treatment. Detox is also available on-site.

Those who require medical stabilization begin their treatment with detox, a process that typically lasts up to five days. Once withdrawal symptoms are under control, clients may move on to short-term inpatient treatment. Treatment is abstinence-based and utilizes cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and dialectical behavior therapy (DBT). Medication may also be administered during this time.

The long-term transitional program, which typically lasts at least 28 days, builds upon the therapy completed during inpatient treatment and incorporates additional group and family therapy, addiction education, and 12-step work. For those who are unable to remain on-site for treatment, Silver Hill offers intensive outpatient treatment, a six-week program that utilizes modalities similar to those found in inpatient and residential treatment. Those enrolled in IOP may be asked to participate in regular drug testing.

According to the facility’s website, Silver Hill employs physicians, psychiatrists, psychologists, nurses, social workers, and licensed counselors.

Silver Hill’s sprawling New England campus has the look and feel of a country estate. The facility’s website depicts a cozy, homelike setting complete with fireplaces and well-furnished sitting rooms. Clients have access to an indoor pool as well as a fitness center, gymnasium, and outdoor tennis court.

Alumni surveyed by Rehabs.com reported mostly positive experiences. When asked, on a scale from one to five, how likely they were to recommend the facility to others, five alumni provided an average rating of 4.4. High ratings were given to the staff’s level of training and experience, the facility’s cleanliness, and the program’s family participation, which received respective ratings of 4.4, 4.2 and four stars. One alum, Elena, described the staff and facility as wonderful, adding: “Staff were available and considerate of my needs.”

The program’s exercise/leisure options, holistic offerings, and connectivity/visitor policies were all given average ratings of 3.6. Jon felt that the staff and program were strict, but told Rehabs.com: “The facility very strongly attempted to teach us the building blocks of sober living. Overall quite effective.”

The lowest average rating – three stars – was given to the program’s affordability. “Once they get your money they are done with you,” J. told Rehabs.com. Derek, who was generally dissatisfied with his treatment for chronic pain, wrote: “They try and get everyone to stay extra weeks so they can get more money out of your family!”

Like alumni, loved ones shared praise and criticism for Silver Hill’s programming. The three loved ones surveyed at the time of this writing all said they would recommend the facility to others. However, much like alumni, affordability was a sticking point for multiple reviewers. One anonymous family member highlighted the “openness” and “comfortable environment” but added that they “felt rushed to leave.” Another anonymous loved one described the cost as “obscene.”

Yet even those who found the facility expensive noted the effectiveness of the center’s treatment. One anonymous loved highlighted the program’s high costs but provided the program’s treatment effectiveness with a four out of five-star rating and told Rehabs.com: “Professional service and caring staff…one of the best in Connecticut also people travel near and far to attend this facility.”

Fees vary according to each client’s treatment plan, but 28 days in the transitional program typically costs $37,100. Many insurances and managed care plans are accepted, though most only cover detox, short-term inpatient, and intensive outpatient treatment.

Updated July 2016

Brief summary: Very intense program with a 12-Step focus, but not so rigid that they are against any other type of recovery (SMART, holistic, etc). Excellent dual diagnosis focus, extremely compassionate and competent staff, and an appropriate amount of therapist/psychiatrist/group therapy sessions along with DBT skills. Facilities are top notch, the campus has a college like feel once you’re out of acute care/detox and there are smoking gazebos around the grounds. There is a strong focus on continuing recovery, specific aftercare plans, and a follow-up team from SH itself; it is expensive and most insurances are not taken, but you get the quality and care that you pay for. I checked myself in to Silver Hill in early December at the recommendation of my psychiatrist (I’m dual diagnosis, major depressive disorder, anxiety disorder, and alcohol addiction/dependent) after having been to an inpatient detox and a separate intensive outpatient program where neither was successful. I was desperate to get effective help that was compassionate, could restore my desire to live, and most importantly, not live as an active addict anymore. To clarify, I am not wealthy, which is part of why I did not go when it was initially recommended to me eight months prior, but in hindsight I should have gone then. Although it drained most of my savings, those savings will do me no good in the afterlife and I was in bad shape by the time I arrived. If you truly need the help and can afford it, even out of pocket, this is a fantastic place particularly for dual diagnoses. If you’re ready to commit, you will benefit tremendously. Even in detox, the staff was exceedingly kind, knowledgeable, and genuinely concerned for your well-being and recovery. I was transferred after four days to the 28 day program and while the first week was overwhelming and exhausting, with days scheduled from 9am to 11pm, you adjust quickly. AA is every day (NA once a week), and DBT is every day. Not all classes or meetings were perfect, but many were very helpful. Your medication is adjusted as necessary, and they maintained regular contact with my outside psychiatrist and listened to his feedback as well, so I felt that they genuinely had my best interests at heart. Once at the residence there is an in-house counselor 24/7 if anyone was having a particularly rough day or just needed to talk. Most rooms are doubles and each room has their own bathroom, near the end of your stay you can be “promoted” to a single, although that varies by how full they are. Very few people stayed past 28 days and many transitioned to SH’s outpatient program. I live in NYC and after discussion with my therapist and psychiatrist I’ve just completed an after-work evening IOP in Manhattan. In addition, there is a gym, pool, a small store, library, and yoga offered for free time, although you don’t have a lot of it, lol. Food is a bit hit or miss but generally very good, and there are always sandwiches, soup, or a salad bar if you don’t like the hot entrees. There is also a small chapel onsite and a chaplain for any spiritual inquiries or sessions. Rules are strictly enforced, but reasonably so, although I hear the adolescent program is more rule-bound. The campus is co-ed as are classes, although romantic contact is forbidden. This wasn’t much of an issue that I noticed while I was here, however. Overall, I passed my 90 day mark a bit over a week ago, and can honestly say that Silver Hill probably saved my life. I consider it money well-spent and was highly impressed with the staff’s dedication from the kitchen workers to the psychiatrists. Many have been with SH for 10+ years and are still eager to do the best job they can while offering both comfort and tough love when needed to help guard us during one of the more vulnerable times in our lives. Overall rating: A (although I don’t have any other rehabs to compare it to). Only misses an A+ since some classes were relatively content bare.

I will NEVER allow anyone to lock me up again.

Silver Hill has an incredibly arrogant man in charge of their adolescent care unit. The doctor at K House, the adolescent facility, prefers to amuse himself with family problems rather than try to help solve them. He actually made a rude joke to me, and I had no idea that he was joking and burst into tears. The program was incredibly expensive,$8700 per week, and Inthouyht she was thrown out and we had no idea where to find help for her. After I burst into tears I asked if she was being kicked out and was met with another "joke".

We were completely mislead that this facility had a psychiatric component for metal illness outside of drug or alcohol addiction. We brought our 22 year old son to this facility in an effort to stabilize his debilitating depression. He was to told to report to admissions at 5:00pm on Thursday (which counts as 1 full day of treatment to insurance company). During his intake he was advised that he would meet with his team the following morning including nurse, social worker, psychiatrist etc. Friday (day 2 for insurance) he was finally seen by a social worker at 3:30pm and told that insurance would cover his stay until Sunday. WHAT??? We just forked over $3,000 (our insurance deductible) and he's permitted 4 days stay? He was finally seen by the psychiatrist at 4:45pm ... No phone call to discuss with parents (granted, he's 22 years old and considered an adult) BUT no full family history was taken by ANYONE before prescribing medication. So here we are, Friday 5:30pm and my son is having a very adverse reaction to meds and refuses additional dose (after consulting with his parents). Day 3, Saturday, and NO PSYCHIATRIST IS AVAILABLE TO REVISE MEDICATION REGIME - only to observe and comment on patients receiving medications. So here we are on day 4 of insurance coverage (Sunday) and he meets with a psychiatrist who was brought in because I threw a fit that he was not being treated. This psychiatrist proceeded to tell my son how unhappy she was to have be seeing him because of my complaints the day before. ...she is not available to speak with me or THAT ANYONE IS AVAILABLE TO CONSULT WITH ME AT THIS TIME. So my point in all this, if you need a place to "dry out" and have unlimited financial resources to do so, this is the place for you. If you're looking for a medical facility that provides medically trained staff to consult and prescribe - run away from here as fast as you can. They were quick enough to take my money BUT very slow to provide services promised.

Maybe my daughter's issues were too big for the Adolescent DBT IOP (Dialectal Behavior Therapy - Intensive Outpatient Program) - but the sessions (3x/week) haven't been effective in her making any changes to how she interacts with the world. The parent sessions (1x/week), while insightful to the techniques the kids were learning, gave no practical skills for parents who are not in need of DBT skills training. What parents need to know is HOW to get the adolescent to IMPLEMENT the sills. When my daughter is in one of her moods (which is nearly daily), I gently remind her of the skills she's learned and basically I get a middle finger. So, WE're still at square one. I did see some other kids seemingly improving... then again, i'm sure all the parents at the IOP thought my daughter was doing well, too.

Kind, well educated staff, private location, clean facilities, serves its purpose incredibly well I attended this facility in 2014, and embraces the whole experience as I was ready to seek help. I have been sober ever since my admission to Silver Hill and would not still be I had not sought help there

Professional service and caring staff Cost of treatment was high. It one of the best in Connecticut also people travel near and far to attend this facility

Excellent patient/staff ratio; dialectical behaviorial therapy is fantastic to treat co-disorder: excellent physical facilities, food, recreation; compassionate & knowledgable staff. Expensive. I cannot say enough good things about Silver Hill. Great quality programs, staff, and faculties. Highly recommend.

The building that houses the residential Chronic Pain Program is an equivalent to a high end hotel. The staff could be improved upon with an 8 out of 10 score. (residential counselors being the main problem), Food is mediocre. Price is about what you would find at any residential treatment program, I guess, but very expensive..

They are solely in it for the money. Please if they tell you they have a bed and insurance is good, do not head over there till you confirm 10 times over that your insurance is good. They waited until we were 5 minutes away from them aftwr a 4 hour journey to call and say oh no good insurance but come on in just give a 6500 deposit at time of admission and we will collect the rest shortly aftter. They only want the cash customer. Buyer beware.

Silver Hill Hospital changed my life. I came in with severe depression and anxiety. Today is my last day of the 28 day DBT program and I can honestly say that I am a completely different person. I have learned to love myself. I cannot thank this program enough. If you take the program seriously and apply the skills to your every day life, you will succeed and really surprise yourself. The first week seems very long and difficult, but the amazing staff and residents made the time really fly by. I love this place and I HIGHLY recommend this program. I am a changed woman and I am finally going to start living my life. I know that I will always look back on this program and my 28 day stay as the turning point in my life. I am finally a confident and happy person and I have this program to thank.

Thanks for letting me know [User Reviewer Derek], because I have chronic pain, also.

I went to silver hill for the chronic pain program! I've had 16 major surgeries and tons of broken bones! This was supposed to be the best program to fix the body And mind! Wow was that not the case they basically say your in pain cause the pills! There is 40 min in a gym walking and stretching then 40 min in a pool with lil floats! I'm in my high 20's in a chronic pain unit with 50-60 year olds!I need so much physical therapy not lil floats in a pool! Not to mention the pool was broken for a week! Then u have a12 hour day sitting on hard chairs that are great if you have back pain! Lol! The 12 hours are spent in some of the dumbest classes that basically tell you to just live with the pain! Or that your physical pain is just in your Head! They make you go to AA meeting everyday that are saposed to teach the same 12 steps that are in the chronic pain program! I haven't had a drink in 5 years! And I went to every meeting and not one second was about any of the 12 steps! They were all suggestions meetings! It was basically just a detox place that tries to take all your money! They try and get everyone to stay extra weeks so they can get more money out of your family! and the extra week did nothing for 4 people that did stay and extra week wile I was in the program with them! They do NO x-rays,NO mri's, NO massages, They do Not find out what or where your pain is coming from! They basically just say you need to meditate! That doesn't work! Trust me! If you are in tons of pain an need to fix your body and find out what's wrong and where's the pain coming from! I lost 15 pounds of muscle at this place from just sitting all day! I've been back for 3 days now and I've done more in one day then 3 weeks there! And I'm in SO MUCH MORE PAINNNNN now then when I went into the program! PLEASE DO NOT GO TO THIS PLACE YOU WILL BE THROWING YOUR MONEY AWAY!

They love money. Money is all that matters at Silver Hill. Once they get your money they are done with you. The place is a joke.

This place, while seeming amazing at first, was not in any way helpful for me. I thought it would be at first, I really did. The staff was amazing at first, and every single lesson brought a new understanding to DBT and my conditions and everything. At the same time, as a minor, had no freedom. In rooms and isolated by 9:15, everyone was monitored and if you sat too close to someone on a couch, you could literally get kicked out. The staff very obviously does not care about the patients during the night, or what their needs may be during that stretch of isolation. I was yelled at and reprimanded for caring about the other patients, getting verbal warnings and angry lashing outs from staff when i would allow the other patients to confide in me, or when I attempted to calm a patient down in the middle of their panic attacks. They were so heavily on top of me during this time, that my own treatment fell by the wayside. They would only focus on my caretaking and labeled it a problem behavior. I relapsed into purging at this time, and no one noticed. I wasn't eating enough, and no one noticed. I relapsed into all my old behaviors, and eventually i was asked to leave the program two days early, both for the close relationship i had formed in a platonic way with another patient, my "Caretaking" and my mistrust of the program. It was a horrible place for me psychologically, and the psychiatrist did nothing but play mind games, sometimes just sitting in his chair staring at me for half an hour. It was disgusting, and I hope to never go back there again. The RCs were amazing though, and while not on the same page provided amazing support.

My first 3 weeks at silver hill were amazing. Unfortunately after 3 weeks my treatment team turned on me for forming a close friendship with a fellow patient. They sent me back to the observational unit for a weekend. When i returned my relationship with my social worker and other staff members was very strained. I was treated very unfairly by much of the staff.

My son was in the ACU and started at the IOP as recommended by the staff. Unfortunately, the person who leads the IOP is on some kind of weird power trip. He thinks he is an army Sargent, and is rude, abrasive if your loved one is in a fragile state (as most people who have just been discharged from acute care are). He interrupts group members when they are speaking, and belittles people who ask questions. When my son tried to defend the person who was being belittled, saying that he thought it was a valid question, the IOP leader barked at him. This guy needs to be removed from this position immediately. He is terrible at leading groups.

The staff and facilities were wonderful. Staff were available and considerate of my needs.

Proximity to New York and availability of medical staff was great. It was a good experience - nice place, helpful staff, lots of follow up after discharge.

Comfortable environment. Openness. however, felt rushed to leave. They took good care of my loved one but they had her out in 2 weeks when they clearly needed more. Love money too much.

... the treatment was inconsistent.

It was a well-rounded facility. However, the lacked good long term care.

It was quite an experience. I was petrified going in, but the admission staff were very nice and assuring. The clinical staff was very knowledgable about their job and seemed to genuinely care. The staff really were caring. They connected with the patients. The checks at all times of the day and night was a weakness of the facility. Hard to sleep when they poke their heads in the room and you have to answer when they call your name.

Silver Hill saved my life even though I hated almost every minute of it. World class. Excellent programs. Dedicated and super qualified staff. Psychiatrists were key in treatment even though I did not have a psych diagnosis at that time. I believe Silver Hill - particularly its dedicated staff and my treatment team (psychiatrist, counselor, and other staff, including nurses) saved my life. They got in my face and called me on my issues which is what I desperately needed. I had already flunked another rehab where that did not happen. I got the personalized care I desperately needed at Silver Hill.

The program was effective enough to save my life so it was worth it. The people were strict but caring. They adhered to their policies very strictly which was annoying but life-saving! They effectively taught me that my experience with their facility is only the very beginning of my quest to remain sober. Therefore, the facility very strongly attempted to teach us the building blocks of sober living. Overall quite effective.

Mindful of the obscene expense, but I found many of these places to be ridiculously expensive. He was only gone a week.

Offer husband and wife counseling sessions.

If the person truly wanted to change, this place would be great. The environment was more of a vacation than it was treatment.

My Favorite Quote: “Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a present.” This quote is very meaningful to me because of how I am trying to live my life at this very moment. I am not trying to regret the past or think about if tomorrow will be good or bad; I am trying to get the most happiness out of today. There are a lot of mistakes and bad decisions I have previously made, but I am able to learn from these and make good progress in life today. My story begins a few years ago, when I was attending Marist College, in Poughkeepsie, NY. This is where I was big into weight lifting, on a flag football team, and three softball teams. I was also big into drinking and partying because I thought it made me a better, more self confident person...However, through all these things, I still felt like I had a large missing piece of me. I felt useless and like there was no pleasure in my life. Ultimately, this led me to basically try to run away from my problems... Because of my drinking, I drove my brand new 2013 Mazda CX-5 109 mph, lost control and flipped my vehicle five times in the center of the highway. Due to my drinking and speed, I caused my body some serious damage...Currently, it is almost 14 months after my March 25, 2013 D.U.I. car crash, and I could not be happier. I’ve changed as a person and have appreciated every second of every day. I truly believe that I am a miracle and have gotten a second chance. I am blown away at how much my family is there for me, especially for my parents, who give me rides when necessary and welcomed me back home with open arms. Because of my medical injuries I have relied heavily on healthy habits, including natural foods, running, weight lifting, and yoga. Rehab...really showed me the importance of a healthy lifestyle... These therapies brought me from a physical and mental mess to someone who believed if I took exercise and nutrition seriously, I could get into the shape that I wanted. Today, I living a very healthy lifestyle and it is not a hassle at all. It has become a complete normal aspect of my life because it is a routine that I have gotten used to and fallen in love with! If I could do this through everything I've been through, you can do this!

I am grateful to the staff and my treatment team for the the foundation I was given to live the life of recovery I now have.

Silver Hill was a tremendous experience, very caring staff and attentive counselors. Accommodations and food were impeccable.

Aspire Recovery
  • A Multidisciplinary Approach to Care
  • Group Therapy, Counseling, and Education
  • One-on-One Therapy
Center for Healing
  • Vivitrol available
  • Seen weekly by our physician
  • Medication management