Sovereign Health Addiction, Dual Diagnosis, and Mental Health Treatment Programs in Culver City, CA

6167 Bristol Parkway
Culver City CA 90230

Sovereign Health Addiction, Dual Diagnosis, and Mental Health Treatment Programs Philosophy

Sovereign Health specializes in mental health, substance abuse, and dual diagnosis treatment for men and women. The rehab has numerous facilities in California — the Culver City location offers residential treatment for adult men and women. The program utilizes evidence-based treatment modalities combined with a holistic focus for a well-balanced and sustainable recovery. Clients are encouraged to examine and understand how and why their maladaptive behaviors evolved and to set realistic goals for a happy and fulfilling future.

• Equine Therapy
    A form of animal therapy, equine therapy involves visiting, working with and sometimes riding horses as a way to create a metaphoric relationship that leads to life-altering insights.

• Individualized Treatment
    Some facilities have an addiction treatment protocol that all patients or clients are expected to follow, while others customize or individualize treatment based on a person’s unique needs and circumstances. Factors that may affect treatment decisions include age, lifestyle, medical conditions, type of drug, religious beliefs, etc.

Genetic Testing

Individual and Group Psychotherapy

Neuro-Feedback and Cognitive Testing

Donna J. Hugh, MFT, CIP

Program Director, Los Angeles

Donna J. Hugh, MFT, CIP, is the Program Director at the Sovereign Health facility in Los Angeles, California. Ms. Hugh received her Master’s degree in clinical psychology from Antioch University in Los Angeles, California. Ms. Hugh is certified as a Marriage and Family Therapist (MFT) and as a Certified Intervention Professional (CIP). She has an extensive history of experience starting with a position at a city health clinic. Ms. Hugh has experience working at UCLA as a Research Assistant with the Drug Abuse Research Center and as a member of the Community Counseling Center at Antioch University. She was also employed at Creative Care, Inc., prior to joining Sovereign Health. In addition to previous experience as a Clinical Director, Ms. Hugh has experience in the field of addiction with many diverse populations, working on the East Coast with homeless individuals, gang members, adolescents, local community hospital’s facilitating emergency psychological services and private practice. She applies all of her education and experience into helping patients recover and continue a better life after treatment.

William “Blake” Prewett

Operations Manager

William Prewett is the operations manager as well as the notary public for the Los Angeles facility. He earned his Bachelor of Arts degree in history and political science from Rutgers University. Before joining the Sovereign family, Mr. Prewett was a document control specialist at Replication Medical in Hightstown, New Jersey. - See more at: https://www.sovhealth.com/about/leadership/los-angeles-ca/#sthash.P8y9Odmp.dpuf

Rehabs.com Editorial Review

ABOUT SOVEREIGN HEALTH ADDICTION, DUAL DIAGNOSIS, AND MENTAL HEALTH TREATMENT PROGRAMS – CULVER CITY

Sovereign Health Group, which manages a large network of addiction and mental health rehabilitation centers, operates four leading, licensed rehabs in California. At its adult-focused facility in Culver City, located just west of Los Angeles, Sovereign Health provides dual diagnosis and substance abuse treatment through its partial hospitalization and outpatient programs. Detoxification is not available on-site.

Other Sovereign Health locations in California include the headquarters in San Clemente, a center for adults in Palm Springs, and a facility for adolescents in Rancho San Diego.

The hallmark of Sovereign Health is its holistic approach to dual diagnosis treatment, which combines evidence-based therapies with alternative options, including meditation, art therapy, yoga, and equine therapy. The partial hospitalization program (PHP) strives to provide “a strong foundation for recovery,” according to the facility’s website. Also, it fosters a “safe and stable living environment” with its off-site residential accommodations.

In order to develop a tailored treatment plan, clients undergo an initial assessment that evaluates their family and medical history. Treatment consists of individual therapy, group therapy, and psychoeducational sessions, which address healthy life skills, goal setting, coping mechanisms, and more. The facility views 12-step programs as important, but not essential, and arranges transportation to local Alcoholics Anonymous meetings.

Intensive and regular outpatient programs are provided as “step-down” aftercare options. There are also alumni services for patients and families, such as educational workshops and community planned events.

“Treatment facility staff is devoted to improving the life of each person who enters treatment for alcohol, substance abuse or mental health issues,” the facility’s website states.

All members of the clinical team hold advanced degrees. The clinical director is a Ph.D. level clinical psychologist, and the group program director has a doctorate in applied clinical psychology. There’s also a master’s level marriage and family therapist and a consulting psychiatrist on staff.

Clients of the PHP that need additional assistance live in off-site sober living homes, and Sovereign Health arranges daily transportation to the treatment center. These houses are gender-specific residences, some of which focus more on mental health and others on dual diagnosis. At all houses there is 24-hour supervision and support.

In a Rehabs.com survey, one alum gave high ratings, including the highest possible score for the experience of the counselors and for the connectivity and visitor policies. “The employees were wonderful,” he said. “It was great and helped a lot!”

Sovereign Health also received positive comments on Google Reviews. One user posted that it was “the best treatment center for dual diagnosis.”[1] And Lynnette, a five-star reviewer, wrote: “Great program!”[2]

Helena, a former employee who posted on Google Reviews, was effusive in her praise of Sovereign Health. “My co-workers are some of the best people I have ever met. Out of all of the jobs I have ever had, this one is the most fulfilling as well as one that I look forward to coming to everyday.”[3]

Sovereign Health accepts most private insurances, including Aetna, Cigna, Managed Health Network, and more. For those who don’t have insurance, whose insurance is not covered, or who do not wish to use insurance, private pay is available, as are financing options through Prosper Healthcare Lending.

Updated March 2016

1. https://goo.gl/P3SqEm

2. https://goo.gl/P3SqEm

3. https://goo.gl/P3SqEm

Published on February 2017

well maintained centers, treatment program is excellent Internet connectivity is average I learnt about Sovereign when I was in a psych ward in West Covina. I love Sovereign because it had the dual diagnosis center as well in the house so I could be properly analyzed to see what program I would be best fit for. I love that I was close to the beach really peaceful and calm and it has a lot of the good activities that I like yoga and of course relationship groups and the art therapy the meditation groups. My first impression was I was really nervous because there was a lot of people but then I saw my housemates and I realized I was a lot like them and I was really excited that I could relate to people and that I had of the same. I remember sitting with my roommate actually on our little balcony or patio area and we sat and talked about why we are both were here and it was almost the exact same story and it was really nice and comforting to be around people that have the same experiences as you do. The residence that I am staying in is I think the best. I am at Cordoba it is a state licensed house and it is the best house. We have this remarkable people, breathtaking, serene, peaceful every word in the dictionary for beautiful view of the ocean on all sides At first I was very reluctant to have a male therapist because of my abuse history that I am so utterly grateful for Sovereign paring me up and not forcing me to stay with my male therapist but kind of pushing me to work through my issues and stay with him. He has turned out to be the best therapist I had ever had in entire life and I have been in therapy since I was five and he has brought so much out of me that no other therapist has been able to. Group therapy is really awesome. I love starting out and you start off like RCT groups and it is more like in depth and really intense groups. A typical day is you wake up typically around 6 am or I typically wake up at 6 am and usually get ready. You leave your house about 8 o clock you get to go to the beach where you would do morning meditation. Then you start groups at 9:30 and you have groups from 9:30 to 11:30 and then you have lunch which is pretty good and then you have groups then again until I would say 4:30 and then you get to go home and you get to relax and have netflix and you all sorts of cool stuffs at the house to do and books and puzzles and anything to keep you busy and you get to destress with your housemates or further process what happened in your day and build relationships and you know really connect with you housemates and other girls here. The thing that I like most about Sovereign is that it has literally saved my life. I have been suicidal since I was 14 to the point where everyday it has been a fight to just stay alive every day. I have attempted suicides more times than I can count and I have been in and out of psych wards pretty every six months since I was 14 in and out of programs since I was 14 and Sovereign Health has been the only program that has actually seemed to help. I haven�۪t been suicidal and I would say about the last two months I had not had once suicidal thought but the regimen with the medicine with the therapy with the neurofeedback they are doing the TMS machine that they have me on I have been doing great and it has been wonderful. It is life saving.

Health environment, Good treatment Program Amenities were a downfall. My sponsor actually got me connected with this place My insurance couldn�t get through with them but he said Sovereign Health most likely will help me go through. It all started when I was 12 years old. I started smoking meth, sniffing lines, smoking weed, drinking alcohol. They actually meet all needs. They talked to me about all my problems they said when I come in ,make sure any little thing that bothers you whether it is a little mishap with the client, argument with the client, if someone steps on your feelings in what way they are heard discussed them with your therapist. So I got my therapist , he loves it you know because I come in and I check in every morning like hey this is what happened. I felt like I was in a college. Honestly I felt like I was going to live in this college dorm right here and it turns out I actually have my own apartment. I would say this program actually exceeded my expectations. It blew my mind. When I got to this program I was wow you know and I am not very wow and very easy but I was actually like everybody has a smile not one staff member walk by without introducing themselves to me. I am getting great feedback on my own recovery too so it is awesome. The morning meditation is everything to me. I feel like all that energy that I have in the morning while cleaning, cooking everything kind of just calms down we are in class where am I going to go today for meditation. What they do really well is actually helping family member reconnect and that is what is awesome. I have seen a couple of family visits where it is just it is pretty cool you know I like to see people cry because it is a sign of emotion of care of love and affection. And I actually had that with my mom and we discussed other founding members of my family that have problems and like why I can�t go back to my mom�s house like this is why I can�t be there to help her in that situation because I am helping myself. So I love the family reconnection and it is amazing it is cool. Calm and steadiness self confidence knowing that I deserve more because they tell me that every day and that is something I never heard as a kid growing up like you deserve better you deserve more you can do so much more with your life you are so talented and the more I sit here and I tell myself I am just a drug addict it is actually a putdown you know. Hey I am an addict and recovery you know we are getting better you know you are better in yourself you are grown spiritually mentally you know the truth of the matter is like when you start drugs your mind stays where it is at so I had that childish behavior tough guy and tough dog I am going to beat everybody up. If you don�t have insurance policy get it.

Well versed and trained staff, clean environment Food was a weakness. I was very active in school, very active in my life and once I started drinking it was on. My depression I had struggled with since I was 12 and the alcohol seem to just cure something in me that I couldn�۪t find anywhere else. My eating disorder added to that I decided it was more important to drink my calories than to eat my calories. My drinking had come to the point where I was no longer social with people. I was so depressed I drank by myself every night. I was in my apartment by myself drinking. I didn�۪t care I couldn�۪t drink socially anymore. If I did drink socially I would have to drink before I went out to meet my friends have a couple of drinks with them and excuse myself early so I could go home and continue to drink because I knew that my drinking wasn�۪t like theirs. They couldn�۪t keep up with me. I had gone from being a social person an undergraduate being the president of a sorority working many jobs to the point where I was hiding in my apartment passing out every night and being alone in my drinking in my depression and in my entire life experience. January 3rd, 2007 my drinking was out of control and I decided to drink a pint of vodka and take a bottle of Xanax because I was done. I was tired and I was ready to check out of this world. My therapist in Long Beach California was the one who discovered Sovereign Health and let me here. My family came down from Montana to bring me here and I was in Sovereign Health for three months 90 days didn�۪t admit until about 45 days into my treatment that I had any problems. I was here because my family forced me to be here and I was just doing what I had to do to get out with the help the counselors and therapist Suzanne and Daniel they really helped me look at my life, look at where I had been and where I needed to go. Figuring out what my feelings were which I learned about being sad, mad, glad, hurt, afraid and ashamed which I was never able to identify before. I was able to use those feelings and I was also able to use the 12 steps which were designed from Alcoholics Anonymous and as I have learnt if I don�۪t treat my alcoholism it will treat me. It is a dark place when you are at the end of that pit when you are in it is hell on earth and it feels like there is nothing left there is no reason to go on. I learned that there is a reason I learnt that there is life outside of the walls of the depression and the drinking and the food that there was something beyond that. . So in the 90 days that I was here it was a life changing experience. I went from very, very sick when I came into the program to better not healed but much better and much more able to go and deal with life when I left. I loved the healing aspect of being so close to the ocean and being allowed to have time down there. The house managers were fun they were strict they made us get things done but they were loving at the same time. The whole program the whole aspect from outside being in the house doing things to make ourselves well healthy walking on the beach taking time in the community those were healing aspects as well not only being in counseling sessions which we did hours on each day but it was well rounded experience. There was more than just therapy. There was life skills that were taught and everyone here genuinely cared about each person in the program. It has been almost 3 years now that I have been sober and have been continually working on my life. I am now able to work with other people and my route has changed a bit. I received a degree in recovering ministry from Fuller Theological Seminary so I now work with people with addictions with dual addictions with mental illness and addictions to drugs, alcohol people food so my experience and my healing has allowed me to move on to help other people. I loved the counselors and therapists that were here. They genuinely cared about me they genuinely wanted me to get better and I have maintained relationships with those people. I guess I can say that I am proud to see where I have come from to see that the depths of the insanity to the realization that I was able to finish two Masters degrees I was able to get a job working with people and I have a life now and I have the opportunity to get back.

Strengths included the well versed and trained staff , clean environment Food was a downfall. I was very active in school, very active in my life and once I started drinking it was on. My depression I had struggled with since I was 12 and the alcohol seem to just cure something in me that I couldn't find anywhere else. My eating disorder added to that I decided it was more important to drink my calories than to eat my calories. My drinking had come to the point where I was no longer social with people. I was so depressed I drank by myself every night. I was in my apartment by myself drinking. I didn't care I couldn't drink socially anymore. If I did drink socially I would have to drink before I went out to meet my friends have a couple of drinks with them and excuse myself early so I could go home and continue to drink because I knew that my drinking wasn't like theirs. They couldn't keep up with me. I had gone from being a social person an undergraduate being the president of a sorority working many jobs to the point where I was hiding in my apartment passing out every night and being alone in my drinking in my depression and in my entire life experience. January 3rd, 2007 my drinking was out of control and I decided to drink a pint of vodka and take a bottle of Xanax because I was done. I was tired and I was ready to check out of this world. My therapist in Long Beach California was the one who discovered Sovereign Health and let me here. My family came down from Montana to bring me here and I was in Sovereign Health for three months 90 days didn't admit until about 45 days into my treatment that I had any problems. I was here because my family forced me to be here and I was just doing what I had to do to get out with the help the counselors and therapist they really helped me look at my life, look at where I had been and where I needed to go. Figuring out what my feelings were which I learned about being sad, mad, glad, hurt, afraid and ashamed which I was never able to identify before. I was able to use those feelings and I was also able to use the 12 steps which were designed from Alcoholics Anonymous and as I have learnt if I don't treat my alcoholism it will treat me. It is a dark place when you are at the end of that pit when you are in it is hell on earth and it feels like there is nothing left there is no reason to go on. I learned that there is a reason I learnt that there is life outside of the walls of the depression and the drinking and the food that there was something beyond that. . So in the 90 days that I was here it was a life changing experience. I went from very, very sick when I came into the program to better not healed but much better and much more able to go and deal with life when I left. I loved the healing aspect of being so close to the ocean and being allowed to have time down there. The house managers were fun they were strict they made us get things done but they were loving at the same time. The whole program the whole aspect from outside being in the house doing things to make ourselves well healthy walking on the beach taking time in the community those were healing aspects as well not only being in counseling sessions which we did hours on each day but it was well rounded experience. There was more than just therapy. There was life skills that were taught and everyone here genuinely cared about each person in the program. It has been almost 3 years now that I have been sober and have been continually working on my life. I am now able to work with other people and my route has changed a bit. I received a degree in recovering ministry from Fuller Theological Seminary so I now work with people with addictions with dual addictions with mental illness and addictions to drugs, alcohol people food so my experience and my healing has allowed me to move on to help other people. I loved the counselors and therapists that were here. They genuinely cared about me they genuinely wanted me to get better and I have maintained relationships with those people. I guess I can say that I am proud to see where I have come from to see that the depths of the insanity to the realization that I was able to finish two Masters degrees I was able to get a job working with people and I have a life now and I have the opportunity to get back.

Good People. Good Staff.

The employees were wonderful. It was great and helped a lot!

Photo of Phoenix Rising Behavioral Health Care Services