2280 State Route 821
Yakima WA 98901

Sundown M Ranch Philosophy

Sundown M Ranch is an addiction treatment facility for adolescents, adults and older adults struggling with substance abuse issues and co-occurring mental health conditions. Treatment options include detoxification, residential care, individual and group counseling, relapse prevention, 12-Step groups, physical exercise, a three-day family program and aftercare planning.

• Intensive Out Patient (IOP)
    Patients who undergo intensive outpatient treatment continue to live at home and sometimes go to school or work while participating in a highly structured treatment protocol that is focused on ending substance abuse. Programs vary in terms of how much treatment patients receive, how often and for how long. Some facilities design individualized intensive outpatient treatment programs.

• Out Patient
    Outpatient treatment describes all addiction treatment that is not residential. Patients live at home while undergoing rehab.

Specialty Programs

Adolescent Alcohol/Drug Addiction Drunk Driving Program Male Only Older Adult Recovery Women Only

Scott Munson

Executive Director

Email scottmunson@sundown.org
Phone (509)457-0990

Rehabs.com Editorial Review

ABOUT SUNDOWN M RANCH

Founded in 1968, Sundown M Ranch is a nonprofit treatment center situated on 30 acres of land near the Yakima River Canyon in Washington State. The facility serves both adolescents and adults who are struggling with substance abuse and, in some cases, co-occurring mental health conditions. Treatment is available on both an inpatient and outpatient basis, and detox is incorporated into the center’s residential program.

In some cases, same-day admission to Sundown M Ranch is available, though most clients typically complete a pre-admission application before receiving an admission date. Once enrolled, clients begin a treatment program that draws upon the 12-Steps and incorporates a detoxification period for those who need it. Once stabilized, clients participate in individual, group, and family therapy, as well as addiction education. Specialty groups for older adults, youth, pregnant and postpartum women, and those interested in smoking cessation are also available.

Adolescent clients may continue to attend school while undergoing treatment through the center’s school program, which is operated in conjunction with the Selah School District. In addition to earning academic credit, students also receive daily physical education that includes basketball, volleyball, running, and weightlifting.

According to the facility’s website, Sundown M Ranch employs a multidisciplinary team of medical professional and certified counselors.

Living quarters for both adults and teens are gender specific and simply furnished. All clients have access to a 7,000 square-foot gym, which includes exercise equipment, as well as a padded jogging track, an aerobic exercise area, and table tennis. The open campus has a walking and jogging track and numerous recreational areas.

Alumni reviews submitted to Rehabs.com were mostly positive, though there were some complaints. Amy found the quality of care to be “inconsistent,” and another anonymous reviewer felt that the facility could have done a better job addressing mental health concerns. M.T., who characterized the program as “great,” offered some criticism regarding the program’s individual counseling. “I really did not receive much one on one time with my counselor but if I needed her she was there for me. I would suggest to some of the staff that they get out of their big offices and interact with the patients a little more,” M.T. wrote.

Despite these issues, most alumni were satisfied with the care they received. Multiple clients found the treatment to be both affordable and ultimately effective. “I had the tools to change, and a strong AA connection. The facility is beautiful, the food is fantastic, and the counselors were all great. I wanted to stay forever,” Trish wrote.

When asked how likely they were to recommend the facility to others, the 12 loved ones polled by Rehabs.com to date provided an average rating of 3.83 out of five stars. “If a client is really determined to make this work, it is great. Not much or any follow-up, so many clients relapse soon after release. The staff is well trained and very good with the clients. Not the best place for ‘other’ concurrent mental health issues,” one anonymous loved one wrote in a representative review. Friends and family members were most impressed with the program’s family participation and the facility’s cleanliness, which both received ratings of 4.33 out of five stars. “I attended the family program. My loved one learned so much and quite frankly, so did I,” C.M. wrote in a representative review. The program’s affordability also received an above average rating of four out of five stars.

Loved ones were least impressed with the program’s holistic options, which received an average rating of 2.2 out of five stars. “Staff is very caring and willing to go the extra mile to help their clientele. Need more activities scheduled,” an anonymous reviewer wrote. The center’s counseling options also received a relatively low rating of three stars. One anonymous parent felt that there was “not enough one on one.”

At the time of this writing, Rehabs.com had received only one staff review. Robert stated that he would recommend the program, highlighting that it was “very supportive of the family and the patient.” Yet, he characterized the center as “Strictly Chemical Dependency Based.” “Doesn't recognize any mental health component to chemical dependency,” he wrote.

According to its website, Sundown M Ranch works with most major insurance companies. Additional financing is available through a partnership with Prosper Healthcare Lending.

Updated February 2017

Published on March 2017

SunDown was non-effective for my Child. I'm not sure what the money that was paid got, they should refund ever cent. Places like this have become profit centers and have gotten away from what they once were.

Sundown saved my life and I am forever grateful for my experience there. The staff was amazing especially my counselor.

I attended the family program. My loved one learned so much and quite frankly, so did I. The program in itself is top notch.. I appreciate that there are programs available in such a close proximity with such a caring professional staff.

A family member went there and it was not good. Yes, there was a lot of intense group therapy but no one on one therapy. Don't expect any medical detox or even assistance. My family member was left to suffer with withdrawals. When he was finally able to get help, they drove him to the hospital. This facility does not address any other issues, such as mental health, which plays an important part in addiction/recovery. I would not recommend this facility to anyone, ever.

I am with my son today who has a 1pm chwck in time. The people on the phone were great and so I thought someone would be waiting to welcome him when we arrives and even know his name. Instead one person kind of asked from their desk what he needs and asked us to have a seat and someone will be with us. Its 1:17 and we are still sitting. Not a very good way to help someone feel special and that their life matters. :(

Really a quality program. Would recommend it to anyone. Staff professional and really know addiction inside out. Reasonable price!

I was under the impression this place was also going to aid in detox. The nurse only comes once a week. I got there Monday and was told Wednesday I would meet with the nurse that is limited on what she can prescribe. One of the main reasons I wanted inpatient treatment is to help be comfortable bring detox. I was 100% disappointed. Expect for the food, it was good.

The success of treatment is, in my opinion, based on the patient's willingness to recognize and accept he/she has a disease, learn about and accept it will always be a part of their life, that they must OWN it, not blame others for it, and in so doing, reinforce what they learned in rehab by whatever means best suit them, i.e. AA, OSAT, etc.

My son was life-threatening ill with his long-team addiction when he attend Sundown the first time at 16. He was rebellious and beligerent and they NEVER GAVE UP ON HIM. The counselors were amazing and all staff professional. I felt so much shame, and hurt and fear and sorrow, and attending the family sessions let me know I wasn't alone in facing this horrible illness. I learned about enabling and co-dependency and I know they saved my son's life and my heart. When my son attended again at 21, he was more mature and came out of treatment with the knowledge of what it takes to overcome addiction and remain sober and drug free. Sundown is an amazing, life saving, place. I would recommend it to anyone I loved dearly and everyone else as well.

Excellent.

A very good facility.

Peaceful atmosphere. Not enough staff. Was for my son. He has been clean 4 years now. Had family counseling on site with rooms available for staying over on family weekend.

Wonderful program and people. My grandson came home and started using again.

Beautiful setting, nice gym and accommodations, good varied offerings including specialized relapse prevention. Inability to deal with serious mental health issues. Great caring people 21 day vs 28 day.

My son has been battling his addiction for twenty years. He had been to o Another rehab twice before an f d numerous detox facilities. Two years ago he called and asked for help, first time he's ever done that,so that was a sign he was ready. He was adamant about Sundown. My concern was it was only a ,21 day program, but I was so relieved he was seeking treatment I got the money together to help him out. He made financial arrangements with them to pay for part of the costs later. He's been sober two years now and living in an Oxford house in Seattle.I believe both of these places have saved his life...

Strengths: The fact that all counslers are recovering addicts. Weaknesses: Patients can leave at any time. They dig deep and get to the root of the problem. To help you have an understanding of your addiction.

Family oriented. Not enough medical. Would recommend

Counselors applied themselves to helping patients. Discharge and other procedures not to high standard. My brother went to their youth treatment twice, his counselor was phenomenal but the administration didn't do their best.

Cleanliness and experience were weaknesses of the facility.

Staff is very caring and willing to go the extra mile to help their clientele. Need more activities scheduled. The staff is very fair and understanding.

Group oriented. Not enough one on one. My son stayed there rated about a 41/2

a rural atmosphere. lack of holistic methods. my close relative attended only because it was court ordered

Sundown M Ranch taught me how to live without alcohol and got me started on a 12 step program. I celebrated my 8th year anniversary in February. I truly owe my life to those Advisers who walked us through some of the hardest days in my life. I am forever grateful.

Don't go here. All they care about is your money. We've been trying admit a relative for 4 days. Fully covered by insurance and they won't admit him. Always a sales pitch.

This is a little long, but it is information I wish I would have had before sending my child to the youth facility. He was there twice and relapsed after both times. While he was there, some kids were kicked out for behavioral issues, so this is NOT the place to help them if there are any dual diagnosis issues or if your child is becoming independent and questions or pushes back in any way to authority. It is more like a juvenile detention center with teaching about addiction and recovery. The youth facility is not staffed to handle mental health issues, even if triggered by the drug abuse. The counselors are too busy to spend much, if any one-on-one time with the youth and many of the staff we observed or met were not very respectful to the youth in their interactions with them or in the group meetings. If they tell the kids addiction is a disease, they should treat the kids like that's what they have and stop demeaning them. It has been shown that interpersonal connection to family and community is vital to recovery and reduces recidivism. Sundown offers no assistance with after care unless you have no insurance and want to go a recovery house. They instruct these young people to get a sponsor, but don't help connect to one or show them how. Most youth aren't confident enough to do this on their own. It is a very lovely facility, but that's what they seem to care about. I'd rather put my child in a less attractive facility and have personal, kind, respectful treatment with good after care advice. We have since done so and experienced much better results. I truly hope this helps you make your decision about an inpatient facility for your child.

Was very affordable compared to other treatment centers. Miracles happen there.

I am now sober.

I really enjoyed the facility.

It was an overall great facility.

Family involvement was great; it was a wonderful 3 day stay, groups, lectures, meals with patient, joint sessions.

My family member really liked it there and is now drug free. The counselors were wonderful.

If a client is really determined to make this work, it is great. Not much or any follow-up, so many clients relapse soon after release. The staff is well trained and very good with the clients. Not the best place for "other" concurrent mental health issues.

The facility focuses on the patients behaviors and recovery. It was a great place/

I was a supportive family member for my nephew along with his mother. My nephew may live. He would surely have continued to be very unhappy and had a very short life or ended up in jail without the help. This facility does an excellent job. I benefited a great deal as a supportive family member from the intensive work. My only suggestion is that the facility should use potable water to make ice so people can put it in beverages.

Treatment was excellent. Medication line sucked. A little understaffed...a management person had to be present for the non licensed staff member to administer your medication which caused delays. Waiting for medication that late at night and having to be up early in the morning for me was very hard. This is really my only gripe.

Comfortable atmosphere both patient and family; good accommodations for family; staff seems very competent, success rate for our needs are great and worked well for us with no relapse, built stronger,confident person at the end of txt lasting many years.

It has a reputation of being physically far removed from the stress of urban life. In the 1970's it was a renowned choice for treatment. I think that the counselors are now too young and less caring than those old timers who worked there in the 1970's, but that is just my opinion. I knew the founder of this center for well. My nephew said he had just about 0 one to one time with "his counselor". He spent most of his time with other patients and said no staff was available on Sat. and Sundays! We prayed so hard he would go to treatment. I realize his attitude was the problem. However, if he had had some time alone with the counselor they might have reached past his defenses. He said he never opened up in any group there. They could have done more. My nephew, the father of 6 children, is dying of alcoholism.

My husband had a positive experience there. It was a great facility where my spouse learned valuable tools for life & handling stress.

Sundown was a warm welcoming facility, and I felt I was not so alone trying to help my loved one.

Helped get placed at sober living at discharge. It helped my family understand that addiction is a disease of the mind. Also had family days which had a one to one answering any questions the family member had with a counselor present. That session helped me greatly

Kept me clean & sent me to an Oxford house

I don't have anything to compare it to because this is the only facility I've ever gone to, but I am still sober after almost 9 years, so I think it did something right. They instructed me how to go about finding AA meetings and outside counseling services once I left. This facility is a medium priced facility that has good staff. They are there to get you sober and healthy. I don't think addicts like myself need fancy centers that offer an abundance of therapies (horse, water, meditation, yoga, etc.) People are there to accept they have a problem and fix it.

Program is very supportive of the family and the patient. The mental health aspects can come into being addressed in aftercare. The most important aspect is getting off the chemicals long enough for any underlying problems to surface and be addressed as appropriate at that time. Strictly Chemical Dependency Based, doesn't recognize any mental health component to chemical dependency

My daughter entered treatment at age fifteen for drug addiction and has been clean since graduating program she is 19 now. The program included myself and any family members who could take part in educating us about her recovery addiction process.

Without expensive insurance you cant find a better place !

Including the patients family in the process was a tremendous plus.

Heard other people talk about how good it was. It was great.

Rehab is a big money scam. They could care less about you. They want your $$$. Would not go back.

SunDown was a wonderful treatment program. The counselor I had didn't sugar coat things, she gave it to me real... I've been sober for almost 4 years now, and I believe the structure given at SunDown, when I needed it most, is what really helped pave the way for me.

It saved my life. I went in a very sick person, they built me back up and I liked myself again. I felt that they really cared about my addiction and how to help me look at myself

My counselor was only a counselor in training that was going through a relapse herself. She left us after the first two sessions and never came back... I have been sober now for 9 years, through AA. I help give the spiritual tools for sobriety that way and suggest treatment at other facilities.

A great & caring program.

very affordable and based on 12 step program

Sundown offers a great program. The facility is nice, food was good although it was mainly comfort food, and everyone who works there was so kind and a lot of them had been in the program. I really did not receive much one on one time with my counselor but if I needed her she was there for me. I would suggest to some of the staff that they get out of their big offices and interact with the patients a little more... I am 49 years old and went there on my own accord and paid for some of it out of pocket, I wasn't there to mess around.

i had the tools to change, and a strong AA connection. The facility is beautiful, the food is fantastic, and the counselors were all great. I wanted to stay forever.

Really helped me out.

Sundown was the life changer I needed, I would have been a statistic if not for Sundown. My whole family attended.

The treatment was inconsistent, my personal counselor very distracted and not accommodating, not enough leisure activities and lack of spirituality. I was personally not satisfied with my overall stay.

Among the best for any price, but absolutely unbeatable for the price they charge.

Offered family weekend and education.

I was initially very skeptical about how effective a 21 day program could be, but they did an awesome job and they were very much focused on aftercare which I also thought would be the key to long term recovery.

A Better Today Recovery Services
  • Nutrition & Life Skills
  • Dual Diagnosis Treatmen
  • Aftercare
Sunspire Health Astoria Pointe
  • Detox
  • Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP)