604 5th Street SW

Relapse Prevention
Comprehensive Discharge Plan

Rehabs.com Editorial Review

ABOUT THE GABLES

Located near downtown Rochester in southeastern Minnesota, The Gables offers residential alcohol and drug abuse treatment exclusively for adult women. Co-occurring mental health issues are also addressed. Detox services are not offered on-site, thus clients must be medically cleared before beginning treatment.

The Gables’ treatment philosophy follows the concept of chemical addiction as a whole-person illness. Group therapy is the primary treatment method used, though individual counseling is available depending upon client need. Group therapy topics include relationships and co-dependency, self-esteem and mental health issues, body image and nutrition, sober living and parenting skills, and relapse prevention. Although the therapeutic focus is the 12-step model, dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) is also offered. Participants can also access outside parenting skills groups.

Families are incorporated into treatment through family therapy, and a formal family program brings in consulting family therapists to provide monthly lectures, discussion, and counseling sessions. Medium and low-intensity programs are offered as step-down services after primary residential care is completed.

Staff at The Gables includes a medical director, a psychologist, and a consulting psychiatrist, as well as licensed chemical dependency counselors, chemical dependency technicians, nurses, a dietician, and spirituality consultants.

The 30-bed facility houses residents in a refurbished Tudor-style mansion originally built in 1912. All clients share rooms with at least two roommates. Meetings, group therapy, and all other activities, including meals and leisure activities, are also held at this location.

The Gables has received mixed feedback from the eight alumni surveyed by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing. Three of these former clients awarded the facility five stars for treatment effectiveness and two gave mediocre three-star ratings for this metric. While four alumni surveyed on the overall quality of group counseling gave high-ratings, two out of the four indicated the quality of individual counseling may be lacking. “Individual counseling was very helpful, only wish I could have done that more often,” C.T. wrote. Though the four alumni agreed meals were top-notch, they were more mixed on impressions of the staff level of training and support with averages of 3.5 and 3.25 stars, respectively.

While Amanda wrote “the counselors were incredible,” several alumni complained of a lack of individualized, personalized attention from staff. Marlene told Rehabs.com that “they are just so over booked with clients. You don't get that one on one help.” An alum named K added, “I felt staff was more concerned with keeping the owner of the house happy and pacified, than ensuring that each client was treated and cared for as an individual.”

Two alumni also mentioned a heavy focus on time spent cleaning and maintaining the facility as part of the program. “They are focused on us maintaining the old house more than our recovery,” R.B. wrote. Three alumni also complained about the director of the facility. K wrote that they employed a “very shame based manner using large group confrontations and forced public confessions with threats of being kicked out.”

M.A.K., the one staffer surveyed by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing, gave The Gables five stars for each metric measured, including overall quality of care, willingness to put patients’ interests first, and staff level experience. “Generally everything is awesome there,” the staff member wrote.

According the facility's website, The Gables accepts most insurance and government funding, including Rule 25 Assessment. Potential clients should be aware, however, that full physical and psychiatric evaluations are not part of the core treatment package, and may result in additional fees.

Updated February 2017

Published on April 2017

At first when arriving at the gables I loved it. I'm a sufferer of alcoholism. The worse thing about the gables is they can not keep their counsellors employed. I witnessed 2 quit with in the time I was there. They are not able to work individually with clients much. If they do its a 15 min time slot and ur done. There are usually close to 30 girls with only 3 counsellors. I was given the normal homework and that was that. People have mentioned in reviews about the gables rules. There are many rules set in place to help you but others that hinder you from attending aa meetings or any therapeutic pass. Many have come to believe they keep clients there just for the money! I have witnessed woman do everything they were supposed to and maintain a job the whole time, find sober houseing and outpatient treatment and yet the gables tries to keep you for the money. The purpose of half way housing is to obtain a job and housing and after care, Well when ya do.. They keep you anyways. I've never disagreed so much with how a treatment director . The director literally rolled her eyes at a client and shut her door. If you want true treatment were u learn I suggest not going here. It's literally a joke. They tell you what u need to accomplish before graduating... I myself accomplished everything and went way above and beyond and joined an aa committee and am going to college and working a full time job as well as obtained housing and yet then that wasn't good enough. It's all about the money! Truly my counselor did nothing for me. She didn't guide me in anything. I'm the one that did the work, got a job got housing went to meetings got on committees maintains my life in sobriety got back into college. Not the gables. The gables was a place to sleep at night at the end of the day. I would not recommend this place at all. Your better off picking a different treatment! But don't get me wrong the actual owner of the house is a peach' the best thing about the house. And several of the techs are amazing. Other then that I would never go back!!!

I was addicted to heroin and when I entered treatment at the gables 3 years ago, I was so scared, lost and broken. Upon completing the program for 4 months, I transitioned home with my parents and have remained clean and sober since! The Gables saved my life and was given the tools to live a sober life again.

I spent two weeks exactly there. I went in after spending 28 amazing days at Rebecca's Residence naively believing The Gables would provide the same eye opening journey. Boy, was I so wrong. I got there Tuesday Sept 8th, they didn't even know I was coming, yet my insurance company did. They acted appalled that I was there but of course took me anyways ($$). The director, was rude and treated me like the scrum of the earth. She did my admit, it took two days. The day I came two councelors had quit, and left the day of and another Sept 10. My eval was done by a woman who left two days later. I was tossed around between the remaining two councelors and it all felt so not personal. I went to bed that night after taking 100mg of trazodone and unfolded my comforter and noticed my bed had NO SHEETS, NO BLANKET, NO PILLOWCASES so with my meds in my system I walked down the narrow stairs to ask the tech to get me these things and a clean comforter. She had me follow her downstairs (the basement) on my meds and grab my sheets. She had me use the dirty comforter and didn't hand me pillow cases. I walked up two flights of narrow stairs and made my own bed. Two nights in a row I slept without pillow cases after asking repeatedly. The first sevens days you're on restrictions. Meaning you are obligated to stay in the house the entire time. The meetings consisted of movies that we have all seen 5times in detox centers, outpatient and other in patient treatments. Movies from 1986. The community group is coin sisted on drama that the staff LOVE to bring on. The in house meetings are ran solely by clients (peers) which is chaotic. Silence, same people saying same stuff, women cussing, making jokes and the words I heard the f-word. The other three women who came same day I did all wanted to leave at this point it had been an entire week of this. I finally confronted the staff members about my experience. I still hadn't had a one on one with my councelor and was upset. I finally was pulled up into her office and we redid my eval that I did with the other woman day #1. I was has handed two packets to work on and sent on my way never to meet with her again. The house has a strong smell of urine (once was a nursing home), you get used to the smell though but when you have visitors they are always thrown back by this smell that you'll notice when you first enter. I was finally off restrictions and got to go to a scarce number of outside meetings. I also got chores which trumped my recovery, if I couldn't find someone to do my chores then I wouldn't be able to join recovery groups outside the home. Walking the 120# therapy dog three times a day (being pulled from my recovery group). The dog is adorable, I love dogs but I didn't come to treatment to take care of the director's personal dog. Cleaning up his fecal matter and clumps of golden dog hair every day. They are focused on us maintaining the old house more than our recovery. I didn't go to recovery to clean all day. They work off a check system (infractions) which are easy to get and you wake up every morning with checks for various things. I personally, only received one, but I was anal about not getting them because the consequences was being cconfined to the house. My councelor was absent in the hhouse and very unorganized. On the second week, she didn't even know my name. I was appalled and saddened. So I decided to leave, I am investing my time to grow and learn and this place was in it for the money, clearly. The food is scarce and disgusting. Freezer burnt. The breakfast is always the same cereal, warm milk, bagels and plain oats except Friday they make something "special". When I decided to leave, I was treated so poorly. They were mean, llaughing in the office and saying inappropriate stuff about me. The package I had coming this week, they wouldn't forward it to me instead are returning to sender. Why would they help me? The money stopped. This place is appalling. Please trust in my words, as I am Just warning other girls to know the real deal. It was hard because I had invested two weeks of my life and walked out feeling I regressed. Sad not all people are in it to help the addict but in it for the money.

I had been to 5 other treatment facilities prior to going to the Gables. The Gables saved my life. I love the atmosphere and the fact that it really felt like I was recovering in a home and not a 'facility' or hospital. It was warm and inviting. The counselors were incredible. My favorite thing was that I never once felt like I was being talked down to. Rather, I felt like I was talking to equals, educated women who genuinely cares about me and my success. There was a variety of groups and the programs were very educational. Having Ebby the dog around was great for me. I enjoyed having an animal around, it was very therapeutic. I learned so much about myself at the Gables. I also learned how to live with and get along with many other women. I was able to start working while I was there and get back on my feet. I appreciate the Gables for what they have done for me and for what they have done and continue to do for many women. I would highly recommend this treatment center to anyone looking for a positive and effective rehab. I will always be grateful for the Gables.

Strengths include: staffing, beautiful home, great food, and generally everything is awesome there.

When I entered the facility, I was already 9 months clean. I went there to figure myself out. However, it was way over booked, there was not enough staff, and they advertised things that they didn't have. see when i got there i already had 9months clean time. i went there to figure me out. One of the the worse things is you that you get close to your counselor and then she leaves, or they are just so over booked with clients. You don't get that one on one help. It becomes all a money thing. ... I didn't relapse and if I did I would not go back there. I just celebrated 4yrs of sobriety.

I felt that the staff was more concerned with keeping the owner of the house happy and pacified, than ensuring that each client was treated and cared for as an individual, a woman struggling with addictions and mental health issues. A lot of emphasis on if our clothes were folded/hung the way she wanted them, or if there was a scrap of paper on the floor. We would be pulled out of a recovery study hall type of group each morning to go fix anything in our personal space or in shared areas that wasn't the way the owner wanted it. They provided three meals per day at set times. There were no snacks or fruit in between meals so I was often very hungry in those 4 to 6 hour periods between meals and that hunger was a distraction from my focus on the recovery groups and my personal growth and education each day. There was coffee and tea each day, which i appreciated yet we were only supplied with fake chemical sugar substitutes, carcinogenic aspartame, No real natural sugar. Although there was a pop machine in the facility. The washers and dryers there were coin operated and many women came there from desperate financial situations so were unable to wash their clothing adequately Or afford laundry soap. We were constantly told that we had to act a certain way when out in public to make the Gables "look good". The director ran this place and dealt with clients' struggles in healthy decision making In a very shame based manner using large group confrontations and forced public confessions with threats of being kicked out with no place to go versus getting to the root cause of the unhealthy behaviors and helping us learn how to change them. ... The director of the half way house I moved into after leaving the gables was shocked at my description of my experience there.

Would recommend this place for treatment.

All female so this factor kept me focused on making friendships with women. Very intense group therapy, activities that I had never tried before (arts, crafts, horseback riding, etc) required to go to gym and individual counseling was very helpful, only wish I could have done that more often.

Best Drug Rehabilitation