The Healing Place - Men's Campus in Louisville, KY

1020 West Market Street
Louisville KY 40202

The Healing Place - Men's Campus Philosophy

The Healing Place truly is "where hope is found." Whether you are someone struggling with addiction in your own life, looking to get help for a loved one, or searching for a recovery model that really works, we are here for you. Our program is unlike any other in the country. Because it's based on a social model - one that's about empowerment rather than entitlement - it is more than five times more effective than the national average at keeping people clean and sober. Best of all, it's open to everyone, and we maintain it with a far lower cost than most other facilities.

• 12-Step
    The term “12 Step Program” describes a way to recover from addiction that is based on the model developed by Alcoholics Anonymous. Many drug and alcohol treatment centers base their treatment on 12 steps – the first three of which are situational, the next four addressing the practical issues created by the addiction, followed by two steps focused on making amends for hurting others. Steps 10 and 11 involve a deeper examination of the previous steps and the final step is focused on helping others avoid and recover from addiction.

• Holistic Therapy
    Facilities that offer “holistic therapy” see and treat patients in the context of their entire lives and health status. They treat the “whole person,” not just the addiction.

Individual Counseling

Job Assignments

Group Counseling

ABOUT THE HEALING PLACE – MEN’S CAMPUS

Originally founded as a homeless shelter in 1989, The Healing Place has developed into a long-term drug and alcohol recovery program for adult men. With a heavy emphasis placed on personal accountability, treatment takes men through detox, 12-step support groups, and peer mentoring, all of which come entirely free of charge. A separate facility for women is located nearby.

Remaining true to its original mission, The Healing Place provides meals and a safe place to stay overnight for the homeless. Due to limited space, however, priority space is reserved for residents of Kentucky and Southern Indiana.

Drawing upon the 12-Steps, peer mentoring and a focus on personal accountability, treatment takes place within three distinct phases: detox, “Off the Streets,” where clients move away from “street mentality” and commit to the program, and, finally, the Recovery Stage, during which time clients attend classes, complete written assignments, and learn from mentors who have successfully finished the program. This final phase focuses first on personal accountability, and then on interpersonal skills and community involvement.

There’s little individual counseling available, but, if the 2,500-strong Facebook group “The Healing Place Saved My Ass” is anything to go by, the fiercely loyal alumni don’t seem to have missed it. The facility also proudly claims that 75 percent of its alumni remain clean and sober a year after completing treatment, attributing this high success rate to a program model based on empowerment rather than entitlement.

The large staff here consists of programming, operational, and development efforts. Those in need of detox or with pre-existing medical conditions should take note that, though there are numerous MDs on the board of directors, there are no doctors on the treatment team.

There is currently no information provided by the facility regarding its gender-separate living arrangements and related offerings, yet review coverage available indicates that facilities are clean but “old and out dated.” Nevertheless, eight individuals polled by Rehabs.com awarded the men’s campus an above-average rating of 3.62 out of five stars for its cleanliness.

Former clients tend to praise the program very highly. “This program was God sent. A treatment facility that is free, medical care free, clothing free, a new life clean and sober totally free. All you have to do is want the help,” an anonymous reviewer told Rehabs.com. Similarly, alum Derek wrote: “They gave me a place to stay, but the 12 steps saved my life.”

Other program graduates, like Douglas, felt that the “totally free” program “really works,” insofar as clients are “open minded and motivated.” “This place saved my life and it works if you [want] it!!!!” exclaimed John.

Though grateful for being “able to live life on life’s terms,” alum T.A.L. noted that detox here is non-medical, effectively making it an unenjoyable process.

Reviews from loved ones are similarly positive. Of its many strengths, loved ones highlighted the facility’s caring, straightforward staff, family picnics, and treatment that is highly affordable.

“My loved one had moved in and out of using cycles for years. Here he learned why he was addictive and how to deal with it on a day to day basis... I cannot say enough about this facility and their methods of treatment," wrote B.F.P.

Treatment is available free of charge.

Updated February 2017

Published on February 2017

I am not happy with there not being viable amenities like duel treatment, detox options esp for long time and repeat users who relapse, and there not being an abundance of doctors and Psychiatrists on hand. When the relapsed is whisked away and has no contact with loved ones, say a stable fiancé and the person is isolated basically I've been told made to be doesn't help in the process of recovery. This loved one has been part of the addicts life and then hidden away by god knows who is a scary thing for loved one involved esp when the one needing treatment is in a vulnerable state. I have no clue about the food but after speaking with several qualified professionals, I am not happy with this option or these lack of amenities.

Little let down to know they have 4 beds open and turn down a man all because he is from a different county. To help someone asking for help, is to help someone. Shouldn't matter where they live.

After many many different treatment centers with NO positive results I made it to The Healing Place in 1997. Right off the bat I noticed that this was not anything like I had experienced in the past there were people there who really cared mostly because they were or had completed the program already and all they wanted to do was help with the recovery process. The structure of the program was exactly what I needed though I didn't know it at the time. Since then I've been sober and living a productive life. I have my family back in my life have two beautiful grandchildren am a homeowner and now attend church regularly because I know that my Savior Jesus Christ who lead me to The Healing Place. If your sick and tired of being sick and tired try The Healing Place.

12 step /faith based. Food could be better. Not sure only there for detox.

This place saved my life and it works if you wan't it!!!!

It's a great treatment center.

They had good knowledge, follow up, meetings, mentors, and some of the personnel they were very straight foreward, did great follow up, kept us updated, gave mentors that were good,

I was told they had a 75% rate, and I've watched 90% of the people I went through with relapsed quickly after leaving. They gave me a place to stay, but the 12 steps saved my life. Treatment centers won't save the real alcoholic/addict. Hook up with a good sponsor please.

This program was God sent. A treatment facility that is free, medical care free, clothing free, a new life clean and sober totally free. All you have to do is want the help. I swear this place has saved many lives..

Recovery was a strength of the facility; however, the location was not good. Long term treatment, which I feel is needed.

Need better holistic offerings.

Getting you sober was a strength of the facility. However, wanting to start was a downfall. Good for broke ppl.

Counseling, meetings, mentors were strengths of the facility. Certain staff members were downfalls of the facility. I enjoyed the stay there I learned alot.

Getting people clean is a strength of the facility. Good treatment facility with a high success rate.

I greatly enjoyed that it was structured and based on the 12 steps. However, there was non medical detox which I did not enjoy. There was great success rates and support.

It was very affordable and family participation was excellent.

They offered and encouraged 3 month stay in transitional housing at low cost to me as I re-entered work force. It encouraged and enabled me to honestly face myself and my addiction that I am now able to live life on life's terms. I am grateful to them and all the contributors that make it possible for someone like me to recover from a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body. It is a non medical facility that provided education giving me a full understanding of my disease and provided housing and meals daily.

My loved one had moved in and out of using cycles for years. Here he learned why he was addictive and how to deal with it on a day to day basis. He did not relapse but went back to do volunteer work and receive support from his peers. He did not feel comfortable without his support system and wanted to be stronger before he re-entered the mainstream. I cannot say enough about this facility and their methods of treatment.

The Healing Place is totally free and really works if you are open minded and motivated.

Family events included AA meetings and picnics.

Landmark Recovery of Louisville
  • Individual therapy twice per week with masters-level counselor
  • Neurofeedback Testing to cope with anxiety, sleep deprivation
  • Comprehensive discharge plan that is easy to follow and understand
JourneyPure Bowling Green
  • Specialized dual diagnosis care and treatment
  • Home-away-from-home atmosphere
  • Focus on spiritual healing and faith-based practices