2528 W. Palmetto St.
Florence SC 29501

The Owl's Nest Philosophy

At the Owl’s Nest, residents are more than just a number. If a resident is still struggling with dependency after their scheduled program is completed, they are encouraged to remain with the Owl’s Nest until they feel comfortable enough to return home. During both The Short-Term Intensive and Long-Term Programs, residents attend group sessions that encourage them to discuss their experiences and how they plan on achieving sobriety through the Twelve Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous. The Owl’s Nest staff provides unique insight and advice during these sessions because the program staff all went through the exact same issues.

• Individualized Treatment
    Some facilities have an addiction treatment protocol that all patients or clients are expected to follow, while others customize or individualize treatment based on a person’s unique needs and circumstances. Factors that may affect treatment decisions include age, lifestyle, medical conditions, type of drug, religious beliefs, etc.

Small Group Settings

One-on-One Time With Staff

Vocational Rehabilitation

Rehabs.com Editorial Review

ABOUT THE OWL’S NEST

The Owl’s Nest is a residential rehab facility for adults that operates out of Florence, S.C., just over a hundred miles north of Charleston. It uses a recovery community model, and states a commitment to “making recovery accessible and affordable for all of those who seek it.” Medical detox is not available on-site.

According to The Owl’s Nest’s website, treatment is firmly rooted in the 12-Steps, and incorporates short or long-term residential care. The short-term care option — which has a minimum stay of 28 days — is the more intensive of the two, featuring study of the AA Big Book, along with group therapy and one-on-one counseling.

After the completion of the short-term intensive programs, residents can continue in the long-term program, which is also housed on campus, and must commit to a minimum of four months, though they may stay for up to a year. All long-term residents are required to seek employment and assume responsibility for themselves.

Once an individual has completed either program, he or she can stay in on-site alumni housing or one of Owl's Nest's three transitional living houses in the Florence area. During this stage of treatment, clients are more self-accountable for living a sober life.

Residents in this stage are able to have a cell phone, a vehicle, and can come and go more freely.

The staff-to-client ratio is 1:10, and the facility proudly announces that all its staff are in recovery themselves. There are no medical professionals on staff.

According to the center’s website, the campus is set on a heavily wooded area. Up to 150 clients sleep in shared rooms, and meals are served cafeteria-style. Men and women are housed in separate facilities. Transportation to and from job interviews, work, medical, and other necessary appointments is provided.

The 33 alumni who left reviews at Rehabs.com at the time of this writing gave mostly positive reviews. Multiple alumni credited The Owl’s Nest with saving their life.

One alumni wrote: “Simply put the Owl's Nest changed my life. After numerous detoxes and rehabs I had just about given up...The Nest saved me. Without this place there is no doubt I would either be dead or incarcerated. Thank you to the best for saving me from myself.”

A lot of the alumni mentioned the staff’s knowledge and how they were relatable. Lindsey wrote: “I was slowly trying to kill myself. In 2012 I found my solution.... the Owl's Nest. The staff and residents loved me when I could not love myself. They showed me the true message of AA, the hope to live sober and strength to grow.”

Another alum wrote: “I owe the Owl's Nest a debt I can never repay. Their program and staff not only saved my life, but gave me the opportunity to not only have a sober future, but a happy and prosperous one for myself and for my family.”

However, review coverage from a couple alumni also contained some serious criticisms. Julia wrote: “The living conditions were horrific....There are not any trained counselors at the facility. There was no medical care, ambulance had to be called for people having seizures often.” Julia also complained of a lack of 12-step activity — even though the facility claims that the 12-Steps are the cornerstone of treatment.

An anonymous Rehabs.com survey respondent also wrote: "They are horrible. Dirty, strict, religious based, extremely expensive, and rude. It stinks do not go there."

The three loved ones who were reviewed by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing gave generally positive reviews.

Ruby wrote in to Rehabs.com to say simply: "good. it helped him a lot." And an anonymous family member told Rehabs.com: “One big family highest recovery rate on the east coast and second highest in the nation.”

This facility does not accept insurance. Financial assistance is available, and packages reportedly cover less than 60 percent of the cost of treatment. The center’s website doesn’t provide a price for the programs. However, it did indicated the programs at The Owl’s Nest are a fraction of the price of other recovery institutions.

Updated January 2017

Published on January 2017

after a 22 year run of sobriety drank and then a 2 1/2 year and drank again lost separated from God Heath White and Steve Shaw and others took this ole hippie and showed me the way to get back on right track. April 16 2017 will be 5 years of continuous recovery

It's nothing more than a scheme and a bad people. Once they have you're money, they manipulate and use fear to control individuals. They create a snowflake culture not willing to confront their true source for abusing drugs and or alcohol. It's very sad to see people taken advantage of in this way. If you love your friends and family, find another way to help them.

All I can say is that this recovery center lives the principles behind the 12 steps of AA. The staff are walking examples of what the Steps can do for you...IF YOU WANT IT! If you aren't serious about beginning your journey of spiritual awareness, no program will be affective If you are prepared to work, the Owl's Nest is the place. Be Willing, Honest, and Open minded. Good luck.

I enjoyed my 6 weeks there. I learned more about myself in that time than I thought possible. Thanks 4 staff members in particular.

The place was a joke I couldn't get no recovery from a person like the guy here...he might know the big book but he certainly don't know other things about recovery

This place saved my life. If it wasn't for the staff and the other girls there opening their arms to me, staying my why I cried at night and showing me what I had to do to love myself again before I could work on my relationships with my family, and that I had to want recovery for me not anyone else. I would not be three years sober.

Simply put the Owl's Nest changed my life. After numerous detoxes and rehabs I had just about given up. The Nest gave me the tools and the knowledge that I need to stay sober based upon the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous. More importantly it help me to get outside of myself and learn how to deal with my character flaws one by one day by day. Three of the staff members in particular and all the other staff are a tremendous group of guys. The Nest saved me. Without this place there is no doubt I would either be dead or incarcerated. Thank you to the best for saving me from myself.

good staff,very helpful it helped me a lot to recover

At first I didn't know what to think but I came in with an open mind so I gave it a chance and it changed my life the knowledge of the staff and being able to relate to every single person its unbelievable if you have a problem with drugs like me then try it you have nothing to lose but your life it works it realy does

Four years ago I was dieing , drinking vodka, hand sanitizer and mouth wash. I was slowly trying to kill myself. In 2012 I found my solution.... the Owl's Nest. The staff and residents loved me when I could not love myself. They showed me the true message of AA, the hope to live sober and strength to grow.

The Owls Nest is by far the best rehab I have been to. The residents and staff welcomed me immediately with open arms. I knew this was the place i was going to be free from addiction as soon as I did the phone interview. I have been going to Alcoholics Anonymous since 2008, and have been a regular attending member since 2010. If i had only known that the Big Book had a solution for my addiction I would have stayed sober when i originally attended. There is a solution to addiction and The Owls Nest helped me find it. Something that worked for me and that helps me live everyday drug and alcohol free. For that I am in gratitude also for the simple fact that everyday they carry a message of hope.

I owe the Owl's Nest a debt I can never repay. Their program and staff not only saved my life, but gave me the opportunity to not only have a sober future, but a happy and prosperous one for myself and for my family. I came to the Owl's Nest a broken, hopeless, and empty woman. I couldn't imagine my life with or without drugs and alcohol. I wanted to be sober, but I didn't know how. I didn't know what was wrong with me. Treatment centers in the past may have helped me stay sober for a short time, but gave me no solution to stay sober. The Owl's Nest taught the program of Alcoholics Anonymous in a way that I had never experienced before. By taking me through my 12 steps the way the founders intended when the book was written, I got a foundation for how to recover from my addiction, and how to become a better person and a functional member of society. Because of this program, the staff of fellow addicts and alcoholics, and the amazing experiences I had with my fellow residents, I now love the person I see in the mirror. I have no doubt that I have been given the tools to stay sober, and I am forever grateful to the Owl's Nest for that.

The owls nest recovery community is a spiritual community that adhere to the 12 steps and 12 principles of Alcoholics Anonymous. The "backbone " of recovery is taught at the owls nest recovery community. The owls nest recovery community teaches the BOOK from the BOOK by the BOOK !! ( because the "BOOK" is the only time tested proven method that works). I personally encourage anyone that is struggling with the chronic , progressive, fatal, incurable disease of addiction and want a way out , come join us in brotherly and harmonious action .... And WE WILL ! Show you a way out.

Place saved my marriage, family,and my life.

04-07-2013.....my sober date! I still can't believe I can actually say I've been happy and sober for a little over three years now because of the owels nest. I was a broken mother of three. I was on my knees every day asking God to please take me out of this hellish existence. I was in my own prison. I had no soul, no hope, no joy... I wanted to die. We found the Owel's Nest and they took me in. I paid no money, I was immediately accepted and loved by the women in serenity house. You are given exactly what you need here. I needed this program. It saved me. I am so eternally grateful to this place. I wake up every morning and hear the birds chirping and I'm so glad I'm alive. I never thought it would be possible for me to make it through one hour of not drinking or drugging. I put my sobriety first and everything else God takes care of. Thanks to the owls nest I'm the mother, wife, daughter, friend, human I always knew I could be! I now want to go back to school and help other addict's like me stay sober and maintain a wonderful existence!!! Thank u so much!!!!! Good luck to all who are thinking of getting help. Just do it! You and your family will be restored! Oh and just a comment on all the negative comments about this place..things happen like bed bugs, or encounters with bad individuals, but if you ate serious about your recovery NOTHING will keep you from getting sober and staying sober. Stuff happens, this is the real world, get over it! And get yourself sober once and for all!!!! You'll be so glad you did! You are stronger than you think!

All rumors about staff are true. Beware!!!

Used to be a good place. It has been infested with bed bugs for the last year or so. They can't seem to clear up the problem... Difficult to get sober when you're getting bitten up every night.

This place saved my Life. but thats the only good thing I have to Say! Apartments include broken dressers and beds, half the showers do not work, oh teah dont forget the lovely BEDBUGS. a few girls were even kicked out simpily because they couldnt find a job or werent making enough to pay $300 A WEEK. tthere was constant drama, gossip... 6 REHABS AND THIS ONE? SAVED MY LIFE!!!

I thought I was destined to die that way until I ended up at another detox center and was given the phone number to The Owl’s Nest Recovery Community. Never in my wildest dreams did I think my life would change the way it has. Now everything I lost has been restored and I am truly happy, joyous, and free. By the grace of God I have maintained sobriety since 4/18/2007

great place for myself.

Needs better holistic inclusion and extracurricular activities.

Excellent facility drug rehabilitation . One big family highest recovery rate on the east coast and second highest in the nation.

good. it helped him a lot.

This was my third time at a place like The Owl's Nest. I can say that today my sobriety is like never before. The illness I suffer from is treated by following what I have learned and practiced here on a daily basis. The staff here truly care about residents and the rumors or gossip are obviously not true of the staff members here now. Apparently a lot of stuff has changed because in my four-month stay much of the housing was remodeled and staff members were removed. Maybe those who write negative things were not willing to apply this program and without application nothing will work. If you want a true solution I suggest you give The Owl's Nest a try. This place has truly been a blessing to me and my family.

I've been using drugs for 17 years. This is my fourth rehab and for the first time I feel that I have a chance.

In 2007...I was a 29 year old single mother, homeless and relapsing after my 7th rehab program...in desperation, I called 911 and sheriffs deputies rescued me and took my daughter into protective custody. I was so broken and utterly convinced that checking into another rehab had no chance of working. I had no money and no family support but a kind and loving deputy told me about a place called The Owls Nest recovery community for women located in South Carolina. The Owls Nest staff drove 400 miles to pick me up and within 1 hour, I had something that I thought was gone forever. . . HOPE. I learned more about the problem of addiction and the solution of recovery in my first 3 days than i had learned in 7 rehabs and 10 years of bouncing in and out of narcotics anonymous. Due to Gods grace and the ladies Owls Nest, i will celebrate 8 years of happy, useful, successful and continuous sobriety. The Nest is very special. The program there is designed to speacialize in the most hopeless cases, like mine. Owls Nest is TRULY non-profit. all staff members are also alumni of the program....It didn't take me very long to figure out that one major difference of the Nest compared to other places, is that NO ONE has ever been "kicked out" of the Nest. It is strictly the individuals behavior that determines who stays and who goes...If you don't have family or friends to help you financially the Nest will train you and provide transportation for you to seek out and find a job so you can pay your own way....I thank GOD every day for bringing me home to the Owls Nest, it saved my family's ives.

I have struggled with addiction and alcoholism for 15 years and the Owl's Nest is the only place that has given me hope again. I was lost and didn't understand why I was hurting my daughter and my family. I lost custody of my daughter, job, home, family,friends; I had lost hope. I wanted to quit hurting my family and live life sober and be happy, because I was only existing in this world. I thought I was going to die an addict. Then I found a recovery place called the Owl's Nest. I was scared and nervous about recovery, but I was willing to do anything to stay sober. I followed suggestions and worked the 12 steps of alcoholics anonymous. Through working the 12 steps of AA and the Owls Nest I have had a spiritual awakening and and I have found peace of mind. Today I have my daughter in my life, my family wants to have a relationship with me, I have a great job, I have TRUE friends, and most importantly I have found GOD. My life is being restored and it's so much more than I could have ever dreamed. I owe a debt I could never repay to the Owls Nest. I would recommend this place to anyone struggling with addiction or alcoholism.

This place saved my life. Anyone wanting to get sober should check them out. I would highly recommend them.

I have been to so many other places and this is the one that did it. I am originally from Long Island and have made this my home because of the fellowship I found at the Owl's Nest. Near 2 years sober and I am grateful to God for the Owl's Nest.

Everyone treated me with love and compassion. I felt like i was surrounded by family. It wasn't always easy but it was exactly what I needed to get sober and stay sober. This place focuses on the real solution and how to maintain it!

The Owl's Nest is the place to be if you want to be sober. They teach you a lot about humility and everything about the AA program of action. Prior to going to the Owl's Nest, I was in 6 treatments where after leaving I was using within 24 hours. The Owl's Nest gave me the necessary tools to get and remain sober and living a life full of happiness and true freedom. They are extremely affordable compared to the other places around the country and the attitude and morale of the staff and residents is bar none to any other place. I have recommended this place and will continue to do so.

the Owls Nest literally saved my life. they accepted me with no money and then provided for me until i was well enough to start paying my own way. the living conditions are what YOU make of them(since residents are required to keep their rooms clean) I needed the straight truth and i got it at the Nest. thank God

Would not recommend this place.

The living conditions were horrific....There was no medical care, ambulance had to be called for people having seizures often. The clients were required to seek employment in the community shortly after arriving and pay for being there. There was not organized 12-step activity. After months of being there you were occasionally allowed to attend 12-step meetings. Not my first treatment but I believe it will be the last. I relapsed shortly after leaving, at 6 months. I used for approximately 6 weeks. I'll have 5 years in September. One thing that helped keep me sober to start with was the thought of having to go back to a nightmare hole like that!

Silver Ridge
  • 12 Acres of Secluded Property
  • Spacious Rooms
  • Contemplative Spaces
Bluff Plantation
  • Highly successful, evidence-based treatment program
  • Multidisciplinary team of physicians, clinicians, psychiatrists and thearpists
  • Incorporates the Malibu Beach Recovery Diet which boosts dopamine levels