The Ridge Behavioral Health System in Lexington, KY

Individualized Treatment Plan
Chemical Dependency Education

Rehabs.com Editorial Review

ABOUT THE RIDGE BEHAVIORAL HEALTH SYSTEM

Located in Lexington, Ky., the historic heart of Bluegrass and horse country, The Ridge is a hospital and outpatient recovery center providing psychiatric and chemical dependency services to children, adolescents, and adults. It offers an inpatient recovery program, including medically supervised detox services, for those experiencing withdrawal from alcohol, benzodiazepines, opiates, and other substances.

Treatment at The Ridge begins with a comprehensive bio-psychosocial assessment to help diagnose any underlying medical or biochemical issues. For adult clients, the facility offers an inpatient program that uses Recovery Dynamics, a goal-oriented explanation of the 12-Steps, as its clinical foundation. Over the course of 28 days, clients engage in group therapy, family therapy, addiction education, coping skills development, recreational therapy, and on-site Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) / Narcotics Anonymous (NA) meetings.

The adolescent inpatient program (for those 12 to 17) typically lasts between 28 and 55 days. During this time, teens participate in similar treatment activities, but their program is guided by The Seven Challenges, an evidence-based treatment model designed specifically for adolescents.

Outpatient care is available for children, adolescents, and adults at a variety of intensities.

The center’s clinical team includes psychiatrists, master’s level therapists, registered nurses, certified addiction therapists, and recreational therapists. 17 reviewers polled by Rehabs.com rated staff’s level of experience and training 3.53 out of five stars.

Accommodations at the 110-bed facility are clinical, and most residents share semi-private rooms. Clients have access to a pool and a children’s playground. Certified teachers are on on-staff for adolescents who are still enrolled in school.

Of 25 alumni polled by Rehabs.com to date, 18 gave positive reviews of The Ridge, six gave negative reviews, and one gave a mixed review. Four alumni on average rated the facility four out of five stars in cleanliness, 4.3 stars in family participation, and just two stars in holistic treatment offerings.

Positive reviews focused on effective treatment and drug and addiction education, although reviewers were mixed on staff’s care. Negative reviews wrote the facility’s chemical dependency treatment programs outshone its mental behavior ones. One anonymous alum wrote: “Great program with chemical depend. Taught a lot about drugs and there effects. Staff needs to be more compassionate Everything was good.”

12 loved ones polled by Rehabs.com recommended the Ridge with an average 3.9 out of five stars to date. 12 loved ones rated The Ridge’s holistic treatment offerings 3.3 stars and 14 rated its family participation 4.1 stars and its affordability 3.4 stars. In their comments, reviewers praised the facility’s effective treatment and education about drugs, although they were mixed about staff’s care. Many loved ones detracted for its high costs.

One employee polled by Rehabs.com to date rated The Ridge an overall three out of five stars for its quality. Employee D.T. rated the facility’s addiction and mental health staff five and four stars, respectively. He wrote that the facility didn’t provide “enough 1:1 therapy” and criticized its administration for hiring minimal staff, though he described the employees who were there as “great staff that cares for patients.”

The Ridge accepts most insurance providers, Medicare, Medicaid, and most managed care plans. According to the facility’s online fee disclosure, which lists the maximum daily rates, the inpatient program costs $1,800, the partial hospitalization program costs $430, and the intensive outpatient program costs $285.

Updated March 2017

Published on April 2017

I have stayed at the Ridge 12 times in the past year and a half. I also stayed in 5 other hospitals for the same mental health problems. Out of all of the hospitals I have stayed in The Ridge was BY FAR the most helpful one. The staff that you deal with on a daily basis truly care for you and you can tell that they do. They all take extra time to talk if you need it and want the best for you. I was worried going back so many times that they would give up or be frustrated but every time I needed to return I was welcomed back and cared for just like any other patient. The Ridge's psychiatric inpatient is not intended for long term treatment, but just as something to keep you safe in the moment you are at your lowest and they did the best job out of any other hospital at it. The therapists, both for inpatient and outpatient, were wonderful, especially on the adolescent unit. The Psychiatrists are the only bad thing about The Ridge in my opinion. I was misdiagnosed and the meds they were putting me on made things a lot worse for me, which led to me having to return so many times. Once I was diagnosed correctly by an outpatient doctor I never returned. I cannot thank The Ridge enough for all they do and have done for me. They make it feel like a safe place for you to share and help yourself. The food is excellent and you have plenty of activities that are fun every day so you aren't just sitting around all day. I met some wonderful people there. The MHTs you work with on a daily basis are the most caring/loving people and I cannot thank them enough for all that they do. I would recommend The Ridge to anyone, any day, in a heartbeat. It was BY FAR the best hospital in Lexington and the surrounding areas and if it weren't for them I do not know where I would be today.

This was the worst experience, from a parents experience, that I have ever encountered. There was absolutely no communication or support from the center. I spoke with the Dr. only one time for about 2 min and this was only to give consent for a medication change. Once the medication was changed, instead of keeping the patient for monitoring, there was a discharge. During the discharge no information about expectations or what to watch for was given..We will never return to this facility........

Great staff that cares for patients.

Great treatment

all staff were kind and genuinely caring

Was there for 1 year, it was good for me.

In patient options Severely lacking where behavioral/mental health is concerned. Mainly for drug rehab

they had set times that we could come in and visit. They were able to give us a break we did not really understand what was going on More communication would have been helpful

treat all kinds of addictions, the staff was there when needed

Counseling was ok. Would recommend facility to others with behaviour or addictions

Cleanliness was good. Inadequate treatment and/or preparedness for future. It's like an in and out dry out place. Not much to the mental health concerns.

It's a good place to visit family and get them care. Staff ain't too friendly

I liked the togetherness, positive attitude

They did try to help, but they may or may not have realized it barely did anything. The staff doesn't seem like they actually know how to comfort the patients. My experience there was pretty bad. I had to share a room with someone who made me uncomfortable (because there were no more available rooms). The staff does try to help, but there are several staff members that seem like they just genuinely do not care.

Relationship with the patient and the patients family Cost is hig My husband spent time there for alcohol abuse and he has been sober for 3 years now. They are very well equipped to handle any situation thrown at them, the workers are kind and knowledgeable and don't mind answering questions, their patience with the patients shows no boundaries. They run a clean facility and take great care of those they are helping.

Very thoughtful people Not enough amenities I really liked the nursing staff, they were great.

Structure was nice but there was a lack of Awareness in the staff. Need to follow-up

It made my loved feel welcome. My loved one had a problem with drugs and Charter was our last hope.

I feel like there was not any help with trying to find the root of the problem. I dont know what else to say I can not say if we got the help we needed or not

caring people, advanced treatment plan. costly. group and single treatment are highly effective.

Quality care. Very clinical atmosphere. Facility was good with communication and the care was genuine and done well.

I, at that time was killing myself and ASKED for help. My PCP made arrangements for me to be admitted that day. Thursday, with 2 black eyes... I kept falling on my face. My face and I were @ the end of the rope. No hope. No safe place anymore... No love ; I detoxed for 9 days and then shipped to Recovery Works in Gtown. That's when it went downhill. So unsafe. I loved the locked down. SAFE feeling of the Ridge. I was scared as hell when I checked in that Thursday, am not so safe now. My EX's insurance paid for most... Recovery Works; They SUCK!

That place was horrible.

I do not think highly of The Ridge. I suffer from depression and anxiety. Most all of the faculty is nice, but treatment there is much like putting a band aid on a severed limb. I am sure this is partially due to insurance companies that limit stays due to their bottom line focus. but after having stayed in 5 other behavioral health facilities I was disappointed with the treatment there. I feel like the place was mostly furnished with used furniture (especially the beds). I met some nice people who were patients there. The food there is very good, and the cafeteria workers and chefs were awesome. Food was better than some restaurants I have eaten at. This may be a better place for children. I saw them at meals. It was very sad to see children so young (I would say as young as 5) with such struggles. I would only recommend this place if you have no other options.

The Ridge is a nightmare. I have been there twice now and will NEVER return, even under extreme mental duress. I was told by counselors that I was not "taking responsibility" for my illness...after I had tried to commit suicide while taking psychiatrist-prescribed psych meds and actively seeing a personal therapist. They had good food and that was it. I had insurance through work and I still had astronomical bills. Including from the outpatient portion of the treatment the Ridge required of me in order to release me. After the counselor at the outpatient branch told me I was completely covered the last day I was there. When I did get the bill later, I was out of a job because my mental illness had gotten so bad and when I called the business department to explain the situation, they said, sorry, you signed a contract. When they summarized the contract in the Ridge, they told me that they had already consulted with my insurance and I would be FULLY covered. That was it, then I signed. I didn't even know what was ACTUALLY in the contract. The business office does not offer (at least they told me they didn't) any options to take care of bills if you can't pay, like a real hospital (UK for example). After failing to pay one month when I couldn't even afford food, they sent me to collections. So now I am still, two years later, still dealing with the Ridge's collection agency in TN, who tell me that I don't pay enough when I am now on disability and other government aids because I can't get out of bed, eat, or shower most days. When I advised them I couldn't afford $100 a month, the manager of the agency only said, "You should have never been told you could pay less than $100 to begin with." Please note: I never declined to pay my bill. But you would think a company who supposedly champions mental illness would understand when mental illness debilitates you and forces you below the poverty level.

The staff, food and treatment were all wonderful aspects of the facility. They did a great job and the staff were excellent, making the experience even better.

An overall great facility; however, they needed more holistic offerings.

They offered no help. He came out the same way he went in. A little expensive for no help at all. He is still doing the same things. There has been no change

I wish they had more options or thing to do for patients and that the staff that put you in the system were a bit nicer. They tried their best which I appreciate.

Too small , and not enough staff

No long term treatment options available. It took years for the addiction to get ahold in her life. It will take years of treatment to heal. Would not recommend sending family members here.

Arranged Individual counseling and medication for when I left.

helped me out.

Landmark Recovery of Louisville
  • Individual therapy twice per week with masters-level counselor
  • Neurofeedback Testing to cope with anxiety, sleep deprivation
  • Comprehensive discharge plan that is easy to follow and understand
JourneyPure Questhouse
  • Specialized dual diagnosis care and treatment
  • Home-away-from-home atmosphere
  • Focus on spiritual healing and faith-based practices