The Woods at Parkside in Gahanna, OH

Partial Hospitalization
Licensed Professional Clinical Counselors

Rehabs.com Editorial Review

ABOUT THE WOODS AT PARKSIDE

Set on eleven acres in a residential neighborhood in Gahanna, Ohio, just outside of Columbus, The Woods at Parkside offers a comprehensive suite of treatment services for individuals struggling with substance abuse. Clients may opt for residential treatment, partial hospitalization (PHP), intensive outpatient treatment (IOP), and continuing care. Additionally, specialized care is available for individuals with co-occurring mental health disorders.

Clients begin their treatment with a clinical assessment, the results of which determine the details of their individualized treatment plan. The Woods bases much of its treatment on 12-step philosophy, but also incorporates psychotherapy, cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), as well as individual and group therapy. A heavy emphasis is placed on family programming and involvement.

Partial hospitalization offers the most intensive treatment through eight-hour sessions seven days a week. Most clients remain at this level of care for 10 days. Intensive outpatient care, which may be used as a step down option, consists of three three-hour sessions each week, and most clients remain at this level of treatment for six to eight weeks. Continuing care, which is offered free of charge, consists of weekly, two-hour sessions. Clients may remain in continuing care for up to two years.

The Woods’ clinical team includes a physician, registered nurses, licensed social workers, licensed chemical dependency counselors, and licensed professional clinical counselors.

According to the facility’s website, The Woods’ 50-bed residential facility offers scenic views of a neighboring golf course. The center includes a communal dining hall, theater/auditorium, and multiple recreational areas. Both private and semi-private rooms are available, and all meals are prepared by an on-site dietary staff.

The 25 alumni who submitted reviews to Rehabs.com provided mixed feedback for The Woods’ facility and treatment program. Of the 25 reviews, 15 were overall positive, nine negative, and one neutral.

When asked to rate the staff’s level of training and experience, 12 alumni provided an average rating of 3.91. In addition, only one out of the 11 alumni asked whether they received the proper tools to aid in recovery indicated they didn’t. The 11 alumni also gave an average rating of 3.91 stars for the quality of group therapy. “Hope and patience kindness, I enjoyed it there they focused on me,” one anonymous alum wrote.

However, frequent complaints centered on a dirty facility and overall disorganization. “The facility was old and run down,” S.L.G. wrote, while another alum, Rachel, described stain bed linens, uncomfortable beds, and dirty bathrooms. B.B.’s experience of the facility was “total chaos and confusion,” adding, “Day to day staff had no management.”

Reviews from nine loved ones include mostly negative feedback with only two overall positive reviews. Not all Rehabs.com survey respondents noted that they would recommend the facility to others, and some respondents used their reviews to issue warnings to potential clients. “This place is to be avoided like the plague. It is no place for a person to heal,” one anonymous loved one wrote. Three family members surveyed on the program’s holistic offerings gave only one and two out of five stars.

Several loved ones mentioned a high rate of staff turnover and ineffective treatment for heroin addiction. “My brother has been there 2 weeks and they completely changed staff to times. stability is key and parkside seems unable to provide it at all,” A.R. wrote.

Some friends and family members noted some positives, albeit, with major weaknesses. “I was able to stay in contact with my loved one and his counselor. It was disorganized at times...I felt like they were churning people in and out,” Jessica wrote. Similar to alumni comments about the facility, B.K. wrote, “From my wife's experience the place is a dump on the inside.”

According to the facility’s website, The Woods accepts self-pay and most major insurance plans, including Medicare. The seven individuals surveyed on the facility’s affordability gave it an average rating of 3.43 out of five stars.

Updated April 2017

Published on June 2017

This place saved my life!! my first time in Treatment and the therapeutic care I received was amazing; I had an opportunity to learn about ME and addiction. My counselor was amazing, the staff was loving and kind, and I gained weight from the food. I thank God above for this place! Granted there were others there who were not serious about getting well, and they're behaviors at time were a nuisance (young kids) but I was serious about recovery, and once I blocked the Bull out, I took advantage of all the tools this place provides. And I celebrate 5 months and 20 days of Sobriety today!!!!

My best friend had a nightmare experience at this place. This facility was a horrific experience for my best friend. The "staff" are really "ex"? addicts/ prisoners/felons. There was a lot of gambling on site and drugs being snuck in by staff & outsiders who came only for day programs. Residents & staff carried on "relationships".Staff refused to allow her to make ANY phone calls for 2 weeks. A police officer(patient/addict) was allowed to bully other patients and treated like a staff member. It was extremely over crowded .Meals were served by ex cons who laughed about spitting in "junkies food". This place is a nightmare. When she told staff that she'd expose their illegal/immoral activities, they laughed & said, "Go ahead! Who's gonna believe a mentally ill junkie over nurses& counselors"? Big and aggressive staff members would get in the faces of sick patients, screaming at them in a threatening manner. "Meetings" went on all day and consisted of endless "war stories". I realize that negative reviews probably aren't what you'd print for others to see. This place is to be avoided like the plague. It is no place for a person to heal.(The Woods)Ghanna,OH should be investigated by under cover. Then maybe, people would believe those harmed by them.

It was good.

Horrible experience. Filthy dirty and AWFUL beds. I was told "we don't want to make you comfortable because we don't want to see you back" very negative counseling. Overall it was awful and I went on my own hoping to get help instead was treated like I was in jail.

If you are thinking of sending a loved one or going your self to get help...STAY AWAY! I am not joking or upset. I have been to many rehab places and this place is a joke! Not only was it very dirty there including mold on walls and shower curtains dirty bathrooms carpets was mold stained and smells holes in the walls and ceilings, the place is very unsanitary! Now about the staff...the staff uses the "F" work while in classes for one...another is, the counselors one has this problem where we meet in a room to have group and he falls to sleep!!! I asked what are we in this class today to learn...he went on to talk about the class we had about a half hour ago. How can Parkside have counselors working there that falls to sleep??? Another thing is, you get 4 1/2 to 5 hour sleep TOPS! Yes some people do need extra stay and help, but we do need our rest!!! Classes idea is super great, but they scream and yell at you and use the "F" word trying to scare you. NOT a good way to recover. I could go on and on about that place, but please, if you or your loved one truly wants help ...STAY AWAY FROM THERE!!! Do your research, find a place where they help people who truly wants the help. I might add here that all the staff there are confused to what they are doing! I hope and pray that the board of health will check up on the building and rooms and that the CEO's will screen their staff! I pray for each and everyone of the people who are still in there and will sign in. My advise is stay away and find a better place like Mary Haven or Harding in Columbus. Please take this serious, drug addition is deadly and this is not the place to get the true help you need. I give this place a -10 Minus 10!!!

Avoid parkside, this is from a caregiver not an addicts perspective, they turn over staff so quickly, my brother has been there 2 weeks and they completely changed staff to times. stability is key and parkside seems unable to provide it at all. Parkside is the worst center I have ever dealt with.

Your program is not what a drug addict needs. Abstinence works well for alcoholics. It DOES NOT WORK FOR HEROINE ADDICTION. I believe if you were a Suboxan based program he would have benefited from your treatment! Get with the program that actually saves lives.

hope and patience kindness, I enjoyed it there they focused on me

I was able to stay in contact with my loved one and his counselor. It was disorganized at times. My loved one was successfully completely his treatment plan but still using, which falls on him and not the treatment center but I felt like they were churning people in and out. The facility itself is a nice building. I think they could of done more to educate families about the disease of addiction and alcoholism and encouraged families to attend Al Anon or Nar Anon meetings. This facility allowed him to do inpatient treatment longer than anywhere else in our area but it was still only 2 weeks and then he moved on to IOP. My loved one wasn't ready to stop using and that's not the facilities fault but they were advancing him along as if he was ready. The reality is he's gone to treatment so many times he knows how to say what he needs to and no one called him out on that.

Awful experience. After contacting facility about treatment I had to wait 5 days "for a bed". Upon arrival I was assessed an hour wait and then spent 8 hours in the waiting room. I'm sure they were just kicking someone out so I could have their bed because I had good insurance. The facility was gross. Dirty,stains and mold everywhere,WORST BED EVER! most importantly.....there is NO one on one counseling. The extent of my counseling was listening to horror stories from other residents. I give this facility 0 out of 10 rating. Consider any other facility.

Total chaos and confusion. Day to day staff had no management. High level administration seems to be non-existent.

If you care for your loved ones well-being and fighting their addiction please please consider going else where. From my wife's experience the place is a dump on the inside. I really wish I would have read more about this place and the horror stories from other residents stays there. If you expect to be able to communicate with your loved ones don't expect it from here. All you get from the staff is that they will leave a message nothing else even if your the emergency contact. The staff turn over rate is extremely high, seems they changed counselors every couple of days, now how are they suppose to help anyone with staff that is ever changing? Sounds like to me they have a upper management problem, and so do many other people that have been there. I know if I was directing a place like this I wouldn't want my facility to be rated at 2.5 stars out of 5, and that shows the dedication they have to help patients with problems. There are some people there that care but like their reviews online that's less than half. What hurts the most in telling this story is the looks in our childrens eyes when you don't know what's going on with someone we dearly love.

I am going to tell of my experience from check in to check out: Bed quickly became available, with-in 24 hours. My check in went smoothly and I was made to feel very comfortable by a woman staff member. I got on the floor and had a panic attack right away. The cussing and loudness of the Lobby was out of my comfort Zone. A TA took me for a smoke and talked to me. This made me feel better. Detox rooming was a challenge as I was moved 4 times while detoxing and had to really fight to not room with someone who really should of been in a single room to begin with. After I advocated for myself the TA's worked it out. But I thought it was a no brainer to begin with. The facility took me with a Chronic Health Condition and the Doctor did not know how to treat it, this was very frustrating and the Doctor would not get a high rating from me at all. When I finally was moved to the third floor (which is not accessible to physically impaired people) we had a graffiti board in our room filled with pictures and sayings of suicide and ghosts.

This is NOT a 30 day program! Several clients sent home after 1015days, told last minute , less than 24 hrs, and no reasoning other than the were not a risk to self or others. Honestly, to fill more beds and put those that were in beds in their outpatient program to bring in more money from insurance is my thinking. Had been recommended by friends whose sons had gone there for marijuana use... They stayed entire 30 days , and one relapsed and stayed again another 30 days. They try to say it is our insurance... But it is evaluation from counselor and then insurance makes decision. My daughter was addicted to anything she could get her hands on, but what finally got her into rehab was a recent addiction to heroin. No one can tell me she was ready to get out! She was given visterol 3 times a day before she left to manage her panic attacks and for sleep, as she would wake with nightmares. Oh yea... She was so ready to leave. Rally in DC for making substance abuse care minimum of 90 days.. So don't tell me that these addicts are ready. Guess they have to have relapsed several times, overdosed at least once, to show that yes indeed their actions are a threat to themselves. Tell that to my neighbor whose son died of an overdose after using heroine for only a month. He was in his 30's and a big man. This is a drug that kills. Please insurance companies... Think about what you are taking away from the youth that could have a better chance the first time around.

meetins, support groups. Needed better holistic offerings.

she went back to drugs

I hold the insurance policy. Paid what insurance did not.

Strengths included: Tough counselors, 12 step focus. TA's had compassion. However, Should have separate recreation facility's by age. Parkside must be doing something right, I have 3 years, 8 months clean.

It was an alright facility.

Great staff, very clean and comfortable. This was a great facility. However, there were not many activities to do outside of groups.

Make sure you are truly doing it for yourself, and not another person.

Staff formed unethical relationships with client. Female client's work with sexual abuse issues with male counselors. Bedbug problem ignored. No real treatment goes on.

I spent time at park side mid December 2014. I choose to do my recovery there because....we were told I would get one on one counseling and could talk to a therapist whenever I needed and I would get my own private room and bathroom. They made it sound to good to be true and it was!! I should have known right away how my experience was going to go. When you first get there they ask for a sample of your urine which I'm okay with, but right away the staff was rude. Then I get to my room and it's not what I would consider private...The carpets have stains all over them and the walls as well. The bed is extremely uncomfortable, it also has stains on the sheets. The bathroom was the most disgusting thing I've ever seen! Black mold all around the tub and stains in the tub same as toilet... In the TV room it's even more disgusting! All the furniture is stained and the floors look like they haven't been mopped in 10 or plus years! They take your blood the first 24 hours you're there and it is very unsanitary...There are about 3 nurses who were great! But the rest not so much!!....There are also plenty of patients "sneaking" in drugs and cell phones and having sex in their rooms. I brought this up to a TA and was told well there's not much they can do because the staff turn over rate was too high there. Most of the patients there are court ordered so they don't really want to be there, but they would rather be there than jail. I did not complete the program because I saw what a joke it was. When I left I was told I would be refunded some of my money, I have called and called and they are still saying no one has even sent it in to my insurance yet but parkside has already cashed my check that I wrote to them for the costs that my insurance wouldn't cover. It's very clear that park side is all about the money. I do believe at one time they were truly there caring about there patients but I think as time went on they lost sight in what they should be doing!

If you want to change your life situation this facility can help you.

They were trained professionals and really knew what they were doing.

The facility was old and run down. My counselor, who is no longer there, had very bad boundaries and did not respect the patient/counselor relationship.

My experience with Parkside was horrible. It helped the first few days while I was actually detoxing from heroin and the nursing staff was excellent. Outside of that, I received a very poor plan of treatment. The treatment facility was horribly understaffed.

When I was trying to determine which facility to enter, I spoke with staff from Parkside who advised that despite I had been in a major car accident and was wearing multiple casts and was in a wheelchair, they would be able to accommodate me. When I arrived, I couldn't barely even get in the front door because of the size of the door frames vs. my wheelchair. Then they showed me the freight elevator, I had to stand up, while they pushed my folded wheelchair up against my legs. It was awful. I wasn't even supposed to be standing up because I had surgery two days prior and if I had fallen on my leg, I would have to have surgery again. They had me in a room that I couldn't even get my wheelchair in the bathroom and was expected to share a room with someone else with the bathroom door open at all times. I had to wait the weekend to speak with staff about this. Management came to talk to me Monday, but was of very little help. They said I just had to stay on the unit the entire time because the lectures were downstairs, so I could only attend the AA meetings on the floor and my individual/small group counseling. I was moved to a private room, though, which I greatly appreciated. The shower accommodations were disgusting, which I complained about several times before giving up. I had to pretty much do all of my rehab by myself on the unit, reading, and counseling with the on unit staff and my personal counselor during small group counseling. My counselor was a rehabbed drunk/addict, who didn't seem to be following much of the principles, very little humility. The experience was unfortunate, but here I am almost 4 years later still sober. On my own accord, and with the very special daily staff on the unit.

Staff changes often in these places.

Was eye opening

Terrific counseling solid program and didn't realize the entire recovery process started during assessment through intake, detox and general population.

Good program but there are no physciatrist available

Staff seemed to really care.

It wasn't a nice hotel but it wasn't a dump. The facility was always full and the counselors seemed overloaded in terms of cases. The majority of employees seemed to genuinely care and many were recovered addicts which was a positive thing for me.

Choices Recovery