Three Rivers Behavioral Health in West Columbia, SC

2900 Sunset Boulevard
West Columbia SC 29169

Three Rivers Behavioral Health Philosophy

Dual Diagnosis/ Co-Occurring Disorders Treatment, Intensive Outpatient (IOP)

Social Skills Development
Relapse Prevention
Medication Management

ABOUT THREE RIVERS BEHAVIORAL HEALTH

Three Rivers Behavioral Health is a behavioral health and psychiatric hospital in West Columbia, S.C. Located next to the Lexington Medical Center, the facility accepts both involuntary and voluntary admissions. Substance abuse treatment consists of medical detox, residential rehab, and intensive outpatient care for adults and seniors struggling with addiction and dual diagnosis. For adolescents, there’s a residential dual diagnosis program.

A free initial assessment is conducted by a psychiatric nurse or licensed social worker. During detox and the intensive phase of an inpatient stay, clients receive medical and psychiatric stabilization along with 24-hour nursing care.

Three Rivers follows the disease concept of addiction. Though the facility provides few details of its treatment modalities, the course description for adolescent dual diagnosis treatment lists Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) and Narcotics Anonymous (NA) participation, indicating that this is a 12-step-based facility. Programming emphasizes relapse prevention and self-realization.

The adolescent inpatient treatment program, designed for clients aged 11 to 17, offers a high degree of structure based on 12-step principles. Treatment includes group, individual, and family therapy as well as activity therapy.

There is also an adult chemical dependency intensive outpatient program (IOP) that meets three times a week during the day or the evening. This program offers 12-step programming, group therapy, motivational enhancement techniques, relapse prevention skills, family group counseling, and continuing care planning.

According to the facility’s website, treatment is administered by a multi-disciplinary team of psychiatrists, social workers, activity therapists, nurses and technicians. To date, 13 individuals polled by Rehabs.com gave the staff’s level of training and experience an average of 4.31 out of five stars.

Pictures published on the facility’s website show a clean, modern, clinical facility with sparsely decorated shared bedrooms and an outdoor seating area. The 13 individuals polled by Rehabs.com to date rated the center’s cleanliness an average 4.1 out of five stars — though in other commentary, several individuals cited dirty conditions.

Of twenty-one alumni polled by Rehabs.com to date, ten left positive reviews, four mixed reviews, and seven negative reviews. Seven alumni polled on the facility’s offerings in a variety of areas gave it average ratings of 4.29 stars, 4.71 stars, and four stars respectively for its family program, exercise and leisure provisions, and counseling options.

Repeated praise was awarded to the center’s staff, aftercare programming, and group counseling. “This place saved my life!...The staff, every single one of them, truly cared about me and what they were doing,” one alum, Joe wrote.

Two reviewers, however, complained about dirty conditions. Alum Teresa wrote: “This place is nasty, not clean at all.” Two other alum wrote that they found the center physically cold. Others described a lack of care from staff: “They don't care about you here and most of the time the staff will call you names and worse,” John wrote. An anonymous reviewer added: “The staff could benefit from more empathy exercises.”

Of seven loved ones polled by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing, three would recommend treatment at this facility, two would strongly not recommend it, and the remaining two declined to comment. The six reviewers who evaluated several of the facility’s metrics gave it average ratings of 2.83 stars for its family program, 2.67 stars for its counseling options, and 2.17 stars for its holistic offerings.

The reviews yielded no recurring praise, but repeated criticism cited dirty conditions and rude staff. “Not productive, verbally abusive, dirty, poor staff and poor accommodations,” one anonymous reviewer wrote. Another loved one claimed that their sister was overmedicated at this facility.

According to its website, Three Rivers is an approved provider for most major insurers and managed care plans. Self-payment is also accepted. To date, 14 individuals polled by Rehabs.com rated the facility’s affordability an average 3.8 out of five stars.

Updated April 2017

Published on June 2017

Cold and dirty... Obviously run to squeeze money out of people. Genuinely surprised anyone would think of using this facility....

Filthy, cold, and full of awful staff. I've never seen anywhere less likely to help people who are ill. Should be closed down.

This place is a disguise...

Gave me some stupid diagnosis while knowing my parents aren't educated well on mental disorders. Now whenever I behave badly they go "BPD!". They don't care about you here and most of the time the staff will call you names and worse. Don't admit your kid here.

seaff great staff and community involvement

There were no strengths Not productive, verbally abusive, dirty, poor staff and poor accommodations I would never suggest the use of this facility- it sent my loved one into an even further downward spiral

participation distance from my home wasn't the best was like a vacation

They help detox It is always cold inside. The program in the facility was very structured. Most of the counseling was done in a group setting. There was little one on one counseling at all.

Excellent aftercare program. It worked for me !@!!!!

Attentiveness Impact wasn't strong.The staff could benefit from more empathy exercises. It's inconsistent across the staff.

I was sent to Three Rivers,I had no clue where I was because I was asleep for the ride.When I woke up and found out where I was.I wanted to call my husband.They asked me if I knew the number,I told them I was having trouble remembering the number.I told them it should be in my file.They would not give it to me.They did not even help me call out when I did remembering the number.I had to ask like four times.Someone told me what to do.9-1-803 then my number.I had to give My husband a long number so they could find out what was going on.They had no clue I was transferred from the hospital to Three Rivers.This place is nasty,not clean at all. I felt very scared and didn't know if I should sit or stand.I feel this place needs to be reported for not santatising.I don't understand why they could not or would not give me my husband cell phone number.The people were all crazy.I was sleep deprived....... Sent because of my actions.Thank God I have a husband that loves me and as soon as I got in contact with him he was there the next morning to get me.It took three hours before I got to go home because they had to ask me a lot of questions and found I should not be there at all.

I have personal experience at three rivers and it is horrible. You are treated like you are in jail and little to no treatment given. When you report that someone in the facility is bothering you instead of them trying to help you and support you I was told "suck it up". Treatment is good for anyone in need but I do not recommend anyone sending a loved one to three rivers!

This place is HORRIBLE. they are doing nothing to help my sister. They are a horrible establishment with horrible workers that are rude. My little sister has bad hygiene. No one is paying attention to her. They are punishing her for acts that are harmless and they are lying to my mother and family about info involving my sister. I do not recommend this place to anyone who wants to seek help. This place needs to be closed down after carefully being evaluated by DSS

My parents sent me there because I had a fight with them and lost my temper. I had a history of mental illness so my parents used that excuse but it was different. They were mad at me for dropping out of school. Since I was a teenage dropout, I had to stay with the adults. The patients were bad and they picked on me.

I found everyone (staff) that I came in contact with to be professional, adept, respectful, and sincerely caring, even when it was obvious to even me, that it was challenging to do so. I would especially like to acknowledge some by name and unit. CSU the giant and corey, intimidating and knowledgeable, but responsive to personal issues and requests, My Social Worker , A Group Leader and the Dr. is the best at what she does, I had enough to know, she takes patient input to concern, then makes her call but it works out. My social worker is the epitome of what a social worker should strive to be, effective at solving patient problems, efficient, caring, yet not to be toyed with. The group leader took time from an obviously busy schedule to repeatedly offer one on one calm down, think about it, there is a positive way out sessions in addition to thought provoking classes. In summation I would like to say that the individuals at this facility set the bar on the types of care you provide.

I'm not sure where these negative comments come from but I will assume they are from folks who were involuntarily admitted. This place saved my life! I'm a guy in his mid 50"s who had an alcohol problem. It was destroying my life and I could not, not would not, stop. I am a former athlete and bodybuilder so discipline and strength were not my problem. This chemical had taken over me and controlled me. I was scared to death about the symptoms of detox and had already proved to myself I could not do it alone. Asking for help is a difficult thing in my family.The meds were great because it allayed my fears of the pain of detox. The group meetings were also great because it helped me identify and confront the underlying emotional issues that led me to drink. The staff, every single one of them, truly cared about me and what they were doing. The food was very good. Also, I developed intimate relationships in a very short period of time because we were all going through the same thing and fighting the same problem, though the substances could be different, and even beyond the groups. we leaned on each other. If alcohol or drugs have taken over your life then you have to distance yourself from that chemical and the clarity you develop will allow you to look at yourself from the outside in. Alcohol and drugs make you only see from the inside out. I would never defeated my demons without in-patient treatment and the help of the staff. I will say it again, shame on those with their negative comments.I would bet, and I don't say this lightly and hope I'm wrong, probably are not clean. I can promise this, if you don't deal with this chemical problem, it will one day take you over and hopefully you are not dead, it will only get harder and harder to fix it. Again, I want to express my gratitude to all the staff at Three Rivers, and would, without reserve, recommend it to anybody, even members of my own family. If not for them I truly believe I would have drank myself to death. God bless all the folks at Three Rivers for what you do!

Mental health was a strength of the facility. Patients can't be forced to have treatment. They must come on their own accord.

It was affordable and had great connectivity. However, they needed more exercise, leisure and holistic opportunities.

The group counseling is great. I quite my addictive behavior.

They have a great success rate. I stayed abstinent for 2 years before I relapsed.

Stop drugging up your clients, they are in there for help. They drug them up to sleep all day everyday; it was useless, I had sent my sister there but now she is back to cutting herself and going crazy again. The only strength of the facility was their friendliness.

It has been an experience that I don't want to go through again. However, it was a good rehab to go to. Stay off drugs, they are bad.

I believe the group meeting in the mornings was beneficial. However, some staff are too busy to listen to you and let their position go to their head. Most of the classes do give you strength to recover. The medical doctor does do a great exam and the mental doctor does see you often and tires to find the medicine that works for you.

The program works for those who want it. The temperature is cold in there though.

I was very impressed that most of the counselors and aides had been through their own addictions and were more aware of how I felt as I went through the program.

It was not worth the cost! The facilities/food, etc. were disgusting and I was surprised I didn't leave with a MRSA infection. I became extremely ill after the first 7 days and became very dehydrated. ... It was an absolute nightmare.

Would never recommend this place. I was severely criticized by staff in my file for following the rules. This does not help one recover.

Connected me with out patient care when I left so I could stay clean.

Bluff Plantation
  • Highly successful, evidence-based treatment program
  • Multidisciplinary team of physicians, clinicians, psychiatrists and thearpists
  • Incorporates the Malibu Beach Recovery Diet which boosts dopamine levels