Tully Hill Chemical Dependency Treatment Center in Tully, NY

Intensive Out Patient (IOP), Medical Detoxification

Specialty Programs

Rehabs.com Editorial Review

ABOUT TULLY HILL CHEMICAL DEPENDENCY TREATMENT CENTER

Situated on 33 acres of countryside in rural upstate New York, Tully Hill is a nonprofit facility established in 1990 to treat substance abuse. The facility offers residential, intensive outpatient, and outpatient programs to adults and adolescents 16 and older. Tully Hill also offers specialized programs for professionals, young adults, and clients who prefer gender-specific classes. The center offers medically-monitored detoxification.

According to its website, Tully Hill follows a “bio-psychosocial-spiritual” treatment approach that blends medical care and therapy, and is based on the 12-Steps. Upon intake, clients receive a bio-psychosocial-spiritual assessment and a multidisciplinary, individualized treatment plan is determined.

Detoxification can include medication, patient education, therapeutic activities, and meditation to help control cravings. Treatment follows a highly structured clinical schedule that includes individual and group therapy, 12-step education, life and recovery skills, disease education, wellness groups, vocational/recreational classes, and discharge planning. Clients also receive the guidance and attention of professional nurses 24/7, and residential clients receive almost 14 hours of treatment per day.

Home schooling is available for younger residents, and a family program is offered for loved ones wishing to participate in the recovery process.

Tully Hill's treatment team consists of a board-certified medical director, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, and registered nurses.

The 50-bed facility appears simple in its accommodations based on photos from its website. Bedrooms are shared. Common areas at the facility appear slightly more welcoming with floor to ceiling windows, a fireplace, and views of the sprawling property.

Of the 24 alumni who posted to Rehabs.com, 20 shared overall positive reviews. Nine alumni surveyed by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing gave a high rating of four out of five-star rating when asked whether those past clients would recommend the facility, but gave a low average rating of just two out of five, for the program’s holistic offerings. Of the 12 alumni surveyed on this metric, 11 felt they were given the tools needed to aid and sustain recovery.

Staff level of experience received an average of 4.1 stars from the nine alumni surveyed. “Great counselors, knowledgeable staff, and great nurses,” Curtis wrote. An anonymous alum wrote, “During my stay at Tully Hill I felt they were very professional as a whole.” Several former clients also praised the food, describing it as “good” and “healthy.”

Alumni commented on the structured but effective approach and a few described the program as “tough.” “Every hour of the day was structured with some form of recovery, whether it be meditation, group therapy, homework assignments, recreational therapy...It was completely focused on recovery and I've stayed sober since I left.” Amy wrote. “Tough but fair; very effective methods used, sympathetic and empathetic staff. A great place to get help,” they told Rehabs.com.

The nine alumni surveyed also reported there was a shortage of exercise options available with an average rating of only 2.33 out of five stars for this metric. Amanda wrote “no exercise” as a weakness and L.I. echoed this complaint, writing “there was a lack of exercise options.”

Loved ones surveyed by Rehabs.com also seemed pleased with the facility. Nine out of the eleven loved ones gave overall positive reviews and only one negative and one neutral review. Results from a Rehabs.com survey of eight affiliated loved ones showed an average rating of 4.38 out of five for the facility’s family participation and 3.88 for staff experience.

One parent, Susan, wrote, “As an outsider, I liked the level of respect the staff and procedures offered the patients.” And an anonymous loved one wrote, “Great staff, was nice that family could come to some meetings and give support.” Yet another loved one mentioned “clean, professional staff.” Several family members, however, noted treatment was costly and survey data resulted in a 3.12-star average for affordability.

The facility does not specify its payment policies on its website, but does accept private insurance.

Updated March 2017

Published on April 2017

Tully is staffed by incompetent, unprofessional, untrained, people. I was very disappointed in the treatment and would recommend anyone considering treatment here do more research. For example....the panel of "professional peers" was no such thing..... And a request for professional diagnosis was denied until requested by lawyer in writing.

This place/staff does not care about your wellbeing whether your in their care or outside after you complete the program....I am having to pay (medical bills) for their mistake, do not, I repeat, do not go there.

When I called the facility they said they DO NOT accept Medicaid.

I really enjoyed my stay and felt the program helped me immensely. being older did not feel out of place and younger people where very respectful. Staff was a great mix of recovered alcoholics drug addicts as well as people from families of addicts. Had a great sense of what we were going thru

The few people who work there are dedicated. Good food. No exercise at all. Repeat lessons before 28 days are over. I'm sure it's no worse than any other facility. It isn't a vacation it's rehab.

Very Organized. Adhered to policies. Healthy food: were all strengths. I was a crack addict they designed program specifically for me. They were strict and made me be accountable for my actions. They really cared about me. I'm clean now almost 7 years.

Overall a good facility.

All counselors are high quality. Few counselors, no exercise were drawbacks. Learning sessions were repetitive...nothing more than counseling and groups, no communication between day and night staff, nurses were awesome, most staff were in recovery, promote aa and na which is good

It's got a nice building that's very clean but staff treats you horribly. I couldn't stand it and sa no improvement.

staff do not belittle residents, food did not accommodate people with special dietary needs. I feel that motivational speakers ,lectures focusing on self improvement would enhance positive reinforcement.

Clean, professional staff but the inpatient stay is too short, 22 days. I think the stay should be longer. My loved one had a great experience.

counseling was a strength. they understand the problem and treat it.

insurance accepted but follow up needs to improve. medical staff assists in withdrawel

great staff, was nice that family could come to some meetings and give support...felt good

good policies, one learns the perils of addiction

Case management addresses your specific concerns, too much reading material and handouts-waste of paper and I did not review many of the materials after discharge. During my stay at Tully Hill I felt they were very professional as a whole. I personally do not like "peer feedback"as to my strengths / weaknesses, Leave that to the counselors

Nice physical facility and accommodations; however, the staff sometimes had a poor attitude. More family support should be offered.

Organized and well run with good follow up care. It was costly, but Tully Hill is a God send!

The staff was friendly and invited the family into a side room with a counselor who asked us how we felt about our family members addiction...no other place had done that. One thing that was requested of the family was to write a letter to the addicted member explaining how the addiction had impacted their life, and how they dealt with the issue...It was quite a learning experience as well as a huge emotional vent. The addicted member was required to read these letters at a later date. I thought this was a great idea. The staff were friendly and experienced. It was a quiet location, with a beautiful yard and plenty of space to walk around. I particularly liked the fact that they involved the family in the treatment with counseling and updates. I really didn't find anything about the center I didn't like.

I feel that the admission process was long and unnecessary. There are definitely areas for improvement, but the program has worked for me so I can't complain. The staff was very supportive and facility was beautiful. However, there was a lack of exercise options.

Great counselors, knowledgeable staff, and great nurses. It did me right; I just felt like I was in jail as far as being told what and where to be at all times with no relaxation time. No exercise rooms or pools or massage therapy things like that also no TV or even news paper.

Relaxing atmosphere ..excellent staff. They do not allow patients to exercise or play sports with the notion that the body has been thru a lot and needs to heal. It only takes specific insurance and cost is very high. Generally a very good rehab with a high success rate.

Son had been in other programs, this one had the most impact on him in terms of treatment.

I support him while he regains his health and career. Tully Hill is 2 hours from our home and has an excellent reputation in our area. Tully Hill ex-patients with whom I have spoken say the food is outstanding and that it is easy to gain weight while there! As an outsider, I liked the level of respect the staff and procedures offered the patients.

I attended tully hill in June of 2012 and have been sober for almost 3 years now. This place changed my life for the better and was the best thing I ever did for myself! The staff was very helpful and never gave up on me even when I wanted to give up on myself. I will forever be greatful for my second chance at life. The food was awesome too!

I relapsed after 6 months.

My experience was one of absolute chaos. Don't go here.

Good place

This was not at all like the rehabs celebrity go into. There is no cell phone or internet use. You can only use the center's phone during a particular time. It was completely structured throughout the day. Not exactly a "fun" place to be, meaning it's not luxurious, there's no workout room or massages or horse therapy etc., like celebrities might get and I'm grateful for it. Every hour of the day was structured with some form of recovery, whether it be meditation, group therapy, homework assignments, recreational therapy, an hour a day of exercise (walking or instructor led) outside meetings and speakers were brought into the facility, etc. It was completely focused on recovery and I've stayed sober since I left.

This place got my attention and taught me a lots about the disease and how to cope. It was friendly but tough. I am sober and have been for over 7 years. Learned a lot to sustain me.

Too expensive. No follow up.

Worked. 15 years sober.

Let me pay on a payment plan.

Tully Hill is a beautiful facility in a beautiful setting and the program uses that to provide a very positive atmosphere and encouragement. Your days are very structured starting with a very positive morning group session including everybody just before breakfast. The day is then filled with physical activity, small group sessions, counseling, an evening AA meeting and time for connecting with other patients and counselors. However I have learned that all of the employees that were there and made my treatment a very positive experience are no longer there. A very healing place. Could have used a bit more consistency in enforcing policies. I would not have stayed sober or stayed alive without my 2 month stay there.

Really helped me out.

Tough but fair; very effective methods used, sympathetic and empathetic staff. A great place to get help.

Post rehab 12 step program is what keeps me clean. Rehab was just the introduction.

Clearbrook Manor