1816 North Second Street
Atchison KS 66002

Valley Hope Philosophy

Valley Hope at Atchison provides individualized substance abuse treatment for patients 16 and older. Treatment services include assessment, medically monitored detoxification, residential and partial/day programs, group, individual and family therapy, 12-step meetings, spirituality counseling, psycho-educational instruction and continuing care strategies. Valley Hope at Atchison also offers online family counseling and training.

• Suboxone Use for Opiate Addiction
    The primary use of Suboxone is to treat addiction to opiates, including both heroin and prescription pain medications, although its base product, buprenorphine, is also approved to treat moderate to severe pain. According to the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) website, “Suboxone [and a related drug, Subutex] are the first narcotic drugs available under the Drug Abuse Treatment Act (DATA) of 2000 for the treatment of opiate dependence that can be prescribed in a doctor’s office. This change will provide more patients the opportunity to access treatment.”

• Drug And Alcohol Rehab Continuing Care
    It is imperative that the patient has a well-defined continuing drug rehab care plan. Valley Hope offers weekly group therapy sessions to support recovery. The focus of the group sessions is relapse prevention and support. We encourage regular participation in a 12-step program as part of the drug and alcohol rehab continuing care plan.

24 hour Nursing staff and Consulting physician

Valley Hope Association Foundation

JCAHO accredited

Dee Munsen

Community Service Clinician for Valley Hope’s Kansas City/Atchison

Dee is our Community Service Clinician for Valley Hope’s Kansas City/Atchison continuum for alcohol, drug and related treatment services. Dee is a credentialed counselor and has been involved in the chemical dependency treatment field since 2004. She is an alumni of the Valley Hope Counselor training program and prior to accepting the community relations position, Dee worked as a counselor at Atchison Valley Hope for four years and in turn knows the value that Valley Hope can offer loved ones struggling with addiction.

ABOUT VALLEY HOPE OF ATCHISON

In a scenic and historic town conveniently located just 30 minutes north of Kansas City International Airport, Valley Hope of Atchison is a residential treatment program that has a strong reputation for treatment effectiveness. Since having opened its doors in 1972, the nonprofit has provided 12-step based treatment for thousands of clients ages 16 and over. Medically monitored detoxification is offered on-site.

This residential program engages adult clients in more than 40 hours per week of multidisciplinary, individualized treatment. In addition to attending one-on-one counseling and group and therapy sessions, residents participate in psychoeducational courses, 12-step meetings and lectures, and non-denominational spiritual counseling. When appropriate, medical staff provide medication assisted treatment (MAT). According to the facility’s website, “most patients experience a residential treatment program that averages 17-30 days in length.”

Continuing care is seen as an imperative component to a successful recovery. Clients and their counselors develop plans that consist of follow-ups and regularly held alumni groups and meetings. Family members and significant others are strongly encouraged to join their loved ones in the recovery process and attend an online counseling option (for those unable to attend in person).

As an organization, Valley Hope employs a multidisciplinary staff of physicians, nurses, psychologists, chaplains, and counselors.

Valley Hope of Atchison provides semi-private living arrangements for up to 72 adults at a time in simple, low-rise brick buildings overlooking the Missouri river. Residents regularly partake in wellness activities and are allotted personal time for “reflection, reading, and treatment assignments.” The kitchen and dietary staff prepare nutritious, home-cooked meals daily.

To date, a group of more than 40 former clients have been polled by Rehabs.com. Out of that group, 11 alumni gave the facility 3.45 out of five stars for its leisure options, 3.9 stars for its connectivity and visitor policy, and 4.3 stars for family participation. 10 alumni gave the facility 4.1 stars for staff experience and training, 4.2 stars for affordability, and 4.4 stars for cleanliness, and 4.5 stars when asked if they would recommend the facility to a friend or family member who was seeking treatment.

Many raved over their experiences. Alum R.J.T., for example, referred to hers as “the best experience of my life,” and alum D.H. told Rehabs.com: “They saved my life. Rehabs are like anything in life you get out of it what you put into it.”

Others praised the facility’s rigorous 12-step approach. “Valley Hope taught/supported me in my life long endeavor to live sober,” S.A.R. told Rehabs.com. Similarly, Mike proudly told his story: “Finally got it through my noggin that for me to have a peaceful and serene life, I needed to be cleaned. I have been clean and sober for over 12 years now.”

The facility does not make any pretenses at luxury, as former client S.A.R pointed out, there are “no frills, thrills or pampering." This sentiment was echoed by R.J.T., who told Rehabs.com: “This place is not fancy. No chocolates on the pillow. Not very comfortable, but the treatment is stellar.”

Thirteen friends and family members were polled by Rehabs.com. Six loved ones gave 3.2 stars for the facility’s exercise and leisure options, three stars for affordability, 3.5 stars for staff experience and training, and 3.2 stars when asked if they would recommend the facility to a friend or family member seeking treatment.

Many also praised the facility for its welcoming family involvement, such as one anonymous parent who told Rehabs.com: “Valley Hope really gave our family some insight into the issues one of our family members was facing.”

Though loved one Stacy felt similarly, calling the staff “considerate of her part" in her child’s recovery, she did mention that she wasn’t taken seriously when “trying to explain to them he had more than a drug problem.”

There has been one staff member polled by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing. The staff member, C.S. is a former employee who last worked at the facility in 2007 and held a bachelor's degree. C.S. wrote that the facility is a private for profit facility that follows the 12-step model.

C.S. gave the facility five out of five stars when asked about the facility’s honesty in marketing/public relations, the willingness to put patients’ interests first, and the experience of the addiction staff. C.S. also gave the facility four stars for overall quality.

She wrote that Valley Hope had one of the best treatment philosophies that she ever saw after working in the field for 38 years.

Valley Hope works with an extensive list of insurance and managed care companies. The nonprofit also operates a cash discount program, financing options such as monthly payment plans, and a number of financial “scholarships.”

Updated April 2017

Published on May 2017

Valley Hope's staff was wonderful. I fought my family about going and hated myself and that place for a few days. After meeting the staff and other patients I finally surrendered. I've been sober for 3 years. Never thought I could do it. The councelors and especially other patients helped me believe that I can do this. I'm doing it. I have life long friends from my stay there. Wonderful place. Good food. Great staff. Good facilities. Lots of freedom to come and go but they hold you accountable for your actions. I didn't want to leave after my 25 day stay. Good memories for me for sure. Thank you Valley Hope!

The treatments are effective if you work the program. The accommodations are reminiscent of 1960's motels. The food tastes good, but is exceptionally fattening. Stuck to the salad bar and fresh fruit. Chocolate milk is to die for.

Stronglyrics 12 step oriented, excellent family involvement. Old, out dated If you're ready to truly surrender, it is a wonderful place to be. The clients are involved, have fun, and have potential to succeed.

If you are looking for a treatment facility that won't completely take advantage of you, and screw you over financially, then steer clear of this facility!! I was double insured (both private insurances) when I went here (and BTW the state will not pay if you have state insurance bc it is not a state approved facility) and they assured me (while encouraging me to stay longer) that my insurance would cover. I signed a contract for, from my understanding was the amount I was responsible to pay if insurance would not, which was 4500, and they sent me a bill for 10000 dollars!!! With a 12% interest rate + whatever other finance fees I pay 100/ mo. and only 38 dollars goes towards the bill.. not to mention there is little to no accountability for the patients...They are just money hungry and taking advantage of people with the horrible disease of addiction, it's terrible.. but I guess if 10 to 15k is chunk change for you it is a great place to avoid the cops (yes, there were people there to simply hide from authority, not for treatment) actually the majority of the people there weren't there for treatment. I suggest if you are serious about recovery go to AA or NA (which this facility piggy backs on, but you pay thousands of dollars for) ... Go to a state run facility if you have to, but AA and NA will save your life.

My 24 year old son was a patient here. In my profession I have worked with addicts, alcoholics and counselors for 27 years. Unfortunatey, my son's individual counselor was horrible. She didn't care about his recovery at all. We were told we would hear from her within the first couple of days. We finally heard from her after almost two weeks when I repeatedly called her. During our counseling session with her she answered a phone call in the middle of my son reading an emotional letter to me. She also talked about a staff person who had a problem with addiction and cried as she did. It was very awkward and inappropriate. The administrator was even worse. She called my husband a liar when we expressed some concerns about our counselor and things that were reported by staff. She does not care about the patients and their families, or recovery. She is extremely condescending and unapproachable. I have worked with This Valley Hope for over 25 years and have always been very satisfied. Unfortunately the program seems to be suffering since the administrator took over a few months ago. Staff even say these two women are terrible at their jobs . Neither should be working in this type of environment. Hopefully someone will step in before the administrator ruins Valley Hope and it's reputation. Hopefully neither will jeopardize someone else's'so recovery. The only saving grace was the family counselor. She really does care about the long term sobriety of the patients. She also truly cares about helping the families. She believes in doing the right thing. She shows her dedication and integrity every minute of every day.

24/7 support Conservative attitude I got sober there. It worked for me.

Good cousolers Food was bad. The people were friendly and helpful

Nothing but negative reinforcement.

Valley Hope really and truly is an amazing program all the way around! My daughter did the program not once but two times. Not because it didn't work but a person has to want a sober life for it to happen. I also spent a week in VH to safely detox off of a medication. I was amazed at how nice and respectful every single staff member treated each and every one of the patience never once feeling judged what so ever. There are so many classes available to give the proper tools to stay clean and sober when you go home. If you or someone you know is ready to get help I would recommend Valley Hope 110% best of luck!!

If you need help, this is the place to go. The staff is AMAZING! My experience there was... well, life changing and I believe the foundation for that change is owed to AVH. Sam, Will, and all the others; Thank You!

Maybe in comparison this place is not horrible but may areas it could improve. I was referred there by my therapist, which I later learned her business partner's husband worked there and ended up being my counselor. Which screams conflict of interest and totally unethical. My insurance paid the $800 per day, although I'm not sure where the money went. The facility was falling apart and there were holes from leaks in ceiling, it was understaffed and the staff came off under qualified. Most people only stayed short periods because ins wouldn't pay for after a certain point and they either had to pay or leave. That was not the case with me and I was there about 28days. Upon leaving a employee made it clear I could be a patient of her private business. I don't think I got much out of it besides debt and the few people I kept in brief contact with have all relapsed. Thankfully I mainly went there to look good for legal reasons and not help with addiction. Besides that I guess I can say the staff meant well and the food wasn't bad, although I did gain weight because it wasn't the healthiest. I suppose if you're serious about recovery than its not a bad place but someone struggling may find the above problematic..

Good accommodations, location. Expensive. It was a nice place, a calm relaxing location compared to others. Conselours were mostly helpful.

They were friendly. They do not deal with relapse. This is apart of drug addiction and it happens to most. Instead they make you feel like it is the end of the world and they get rid of you. They could help you see where you went wrong and try to help you know what to do next time there are these triggers. I liked the fact that everyone their wanted to be there.

Convenient location. Qualified staff. I do not have anything additional to add. The facility made the difficult time easier for the family.

Strengths: 1) Being able to use phone/internet 2) Having loved ones come to meetings 3) Being able to listen to music, play pool, let those go out to smoke and socialize with others 4) Food, food, food lol you get the rest. Weaknesses:1) Cavity search patients 2) Definitely the rooms 3) Letting those play music as loud as can be 4) Not being able to hold breakfast/lunch/dinner within at least 30 min. 5) Not helping those who are in need of....- It was clean and everyone was nice. - Not to knowledgeable. - Being able to visit for so long before going to meetings then having to leave - Not being able to sleep due to others playing loud music - Not being able to sleep...

Has a reputation for being successful and is willing to help anyone who wants the help. Good stucture. Is a very family supportive place.

Knowledgable staff who have been through it. I think it is a great place. Take good care of you while you are there. And continue it after you leave.

The employees were good but the cost was a downfall.

Treatment was effective, but it was very expensive.

The employees were great but it was expensive.

Knowledgable staff who have been through it. I think it is a great place. Take good care of you wile you are there and continue it after you leave.

Speaking for my husband..., who went to rehab at Valley Hope 17 years ago..., He has been sober for 17 years. Am sure there are all new employees there by now. But I must say it was a life saving experience for my husband. The counselors and other employees were 5 star in our opinion. It wasn't fancy schmancy. But very nice and clean and excellently run!!!!!! A person going to a rehab center does not need fancy. They need the Guidance and Self discipline that is taught and lived there. What ever spirituality a person possesses is their choice. I spent as much time during his treatment ..., as was allowed. And I..., myself learned so very much! Even though I had tried to educate myself on addiction..., way before my husband's admission. We are forever grateful for what Valley Hope did for my husband and our whole family:)

I have referred numerous persons to Valley Hope in my 39 years of continuous and ongoing sobriety/recovery. The team concept with staff members is second to none, and I later worked in facilities throughout California and Kansas. Program was very 12-Step compatible, utilized MMPI testing, counseling staff were predominantly recovering alcoholics and or addicts themselves. Staff worked hard to maintain a climate of mutual support among the clients there!

Counselors are amazing. My husband is still sober after 9 years.

Loving atmosphere and great experience. However, the exercise facilities were a downfall.

Strengths include: staff, lessons, counseling, food and medical. However, a downfall was that there were a lot of people there. It was a great place for people's first time to treatment. It was friendly and welcoming. VH is a place to grow and learn, with helpful and happy staff.

I learned about the reason I used. They gave me time to learn about me and get in touch with my spirituality. I learned how to have A Relationship with God.

I needed to be secluded and surrounded with healing and positive action. I was safe, I had no responsibility but to get well and accept the help they offered. I have remained clean and sober since that stay. It was a safe haven for me to get stabilized, healthy both physically and mentally and I experienced spiritual growth. I left there a better person. I went into the facility willingly, whole-heartedly wanting to recover. I was in my 50's. Many of the people there were revolving doors. Personally, I felt that I had needed this kind of special care for many, many years but had always been too busy, too many responsibilities that of course no one else could do (ha). I took full advantage of every single meeting, group gathering, classes and the counseling. I was going to take every single tidbit I could get while there. I am a busy lady with many to care for and I don't have time in my life to repeat things this intensive. I wanted and still want to be sober, present to enjoy this wonderful gift of life.

My husband passed a number of years ago. But because of Treatment and AA he had a number of good years! Because of first treatment. A number people, family, and friends have gotten help and have been in AA and other groups for many years!

Program was very 12-Step compatible, utilized MMPI testing, counseling staff were predominantly revovering alcoholics and or addicts themselves. Staff worked hard to maintain a climate of mutual support among the clients there! I have referred numerous persons to Valley Hope in my 39 years of continuous and ongoing sobriety/recovery. The team concept with staff members is second to none, and I later worked in facilities throughout California and Kansas

Treatment was quite effective.

Valley Hope is the best. I had been to[another facility] which was not as good.

All Valley Hope is based on 12 step program with a huge emphasis on spirituality. I attended both In Patient and Outpatient at Valley Hope over a 4 yr period. Finally got it through my noggin that for me to have a peaceful and serene life, I needed to be cleaned. I have been clean and sober for over 12 years now

They saved my life. Rehabs are like anything in life you get out of it what you put in to it.

Relapsed after 6 months.

Good place to get help.

Facility gave you trust.

It was amazing the counselors were awesome and recovering addicts as well which meant everything to me.

Offered family therapy. I have monitored every aspect of care as he has a dual diagnosis. I was very happy in general with Valley Hope in the aspect of the staff doing their job. My son was underage and all regulations were followed in providing his safety and health. The staff was also very considerate of my part in my child's recovery, I was never turned away or told I could not participate in his treatment or therapy. My only complaint was his mental therapy, I was not taken serious enough when I was trying to explain to them he had more than a drug problem and to my regret my son was unable to really start to get completely clean until psychiatric treatment and medicine was given to him, there was post traumatic stress, and some psycosis he was able to hide from his "team" because they believed that all his problems was a product of his age and drug abuse, and I was labeled "codependant mother".

My son has been clean and sober for 2 years and 2 months. They included family which is important.

My friend died shortly after from drinking. He was obviously very ill and, from what I understand, was dismissed due to insurance. They should have paid more attention - at least been realistic with goal settings. Like I said, he died shortly after due to the disease. If he would have been able to know he had a choice in his own addiction and life struggles, maybe they would have helped more. I hate that insurance kicked him out. The people in charge know the ability of an addict to lie/denial. They should have made him stay.

Valley Hope was the type of tx approach that my friend needed. She was also highly motivated to get sober and change her life, which makes all the difference. Valley Hope takes the 12 Step approach to substance abuse treatment, which works very well for some individuals.

I attended open meetings at Valley Hope it was very informative. My daughter has changed her lifestyle.

Valley Hope allowed me to stay there and participate in his recovery as a spouse. He started drinking again and returned to the same facility 3 years later. He has been sober since.

Best treatment center ever!

I had no idea what ETOH treatment was, no clue, just knew I was out of a job, unhealthy and looking at probable homelessness etc...if I didn't stop drinking. Valley Hope taught/supported me in my life long endeavor to live sober. There was no frills, thrills or pampering. I got sober and am still sober today without relapse. Job done. Thank God!

Great quality.

Set up a payment plan for me that was very reasonable. They want you to succeed! Best experience of my life! This place is not fancy. No chocolates on the pillow. Not very comfortable, but the treatment is stellar and it was the best vacation ever. Not that it was a vacation.

Sunflower Wellness Retreat
  • Daily activities outside of the facility
  • Highly experienced staff
  • Exceptional reviews on our website
Sunspire Health Hilton Head
  • Detox
  • Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP)