23 Upper Plain Street

Family Engagement
Stress Management

Rehabs.com Editorial Review

ABOUT VALLEY VISTA

Situated along the Connecticut River amid Vermont’s rolling hills, Valley Vista is an 80-bed inpatient facility that provides gender- and age-specific treatment programs for men, women, and adolescents (ages 13 to 17) struggling with chemical dependency and co-occurring disorders. Located in the community of Bradford, the facility also provides medical detoxification services on-site. Pregnant women and individuals struggling with opioid addiction are given admission priority.

To form an individualized treatment program, clients may first participate in an initial substance abuse assessment and, if necessary, psychiatric evaluation. According to the facility’s website, recovery programs at Valley Vista are gender-specific and adhere to the 12-step model of recovery. During treatment, clients attend on-site 12-step meeting and perform associated “step-work.” Along with 12-step immersion, Valley Vista also employs a number of evidence-based treatment approaches.

Although programming differs, in some aspects, between the men’s and women’s programs, all clients participate in individual, group, and family counseling, relapse prevention work, and psychoeducational groups. According to the facility’s website, men’s treatment focuses on cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) with a trauma-sensitive approach, while the women’s program puts greater emphasis on dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) and addresses specific issues most-relevant to women, such as abuse through a Seeking Safety component.

Both programs may also incorporate a range of alternative therapies into programming, such as guided meditation, yoga, recreational therapy, pet therapy, and artistic expression. Family participation throughout treatment is highly encouraged.

Offering similar programming as adults, including counseling and psychoeducational sessions, the adolescent program also addresses emotional and behavioral issues common among adolescents, such peer relationships and family dynamics. Valley Vista also coordinates with the Vermont Teachers Association to provide clients with tutorial and school re-entry programs.

If necessary, Valley Vista may prescribe a medication-assisted therapy protocol (methadone) to alleviate the withdrawal symptoms of opioid dependency and help curb cravings. Ongoing medication management is also available to individuals struggling with co-occurring mental health concerns.

Valley Vista employs a multidisciplinary team comprised of board-certified psychiatrists, a 24-hour nursing staff, substance abuse and mental health counselors, case managers, consulting teachers and tutors, and a support staff.

The 80-bed facility offers separate age- and gender-specific units. Although specific information concerning the facility’s sleeping arrangements and amenities is scarce, Valley Vista’s website describes the facility as offering a “safe tranquil setting that is conducive to recovery.” Eleven out of the 13 individuals polled by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing gave an average rating of 3.45 out of five stars for the facility’s cleanliness and upkeep. Two survey respondents did not rate this aspect of the facility.

The seven alumni polled by Rehabs provided mixed opinions concerning the facility. While five of the seven alumni polled on the matter offered an average rating of 3.2 stars for the facility’s counseling options, some alumni reported a lack of structure and issues of understaffing. “Didn't have much outside time to exercise because they were always understaffed,” Robin wrote. Alum Annie added: “Counseling was good. I feel that we should have been more structured and have a better mental health model as well.”

However, alum Dorothy offered a five-star rating for the treatment staff’s level of experience and training and wrote: “I was there 129 days and was taught how to live free of drugs after 30 years of using.” Alum Matt also reported sustained recovery, writing: ”I recently spent 33 days at Valley Vista, and couldn't be happier with the facility and the staff that helped me through a really hard time in my life.”

The six loved ones polled by Rehabs.com generally approved of the facility, offering an average rating of 4 stars for the level of family participation in treatment. “Communication with family was thorough,” an anonymous loved one wrote. Providing a rating of five stars for the treatment staff’s level of experience and training, Mary, a mother of a client, cited the “Great staff” as a facility strength. “My daughter was heavy into pills and is a success story from what she received there,” Mary wrote. However, a few loved ones did support alumni opinions regarding a lack of opportunity for physical activity.

Secondary sources revealed polarizing opinions among employees. On Indeed, eight employees gave the facility an average rating of three out of five stars. I love working here. Incredible staff,” a counselor wrote. However, some employees commented on issues with upper management.[1]

According to Valley Vista’s website, it accepts private payment as well as “most third party insurances,” including, but not limited to, Blue Cross Blue Shield, Cigna, Aetna, and Vermont Medicaid.

Updated December 2016

1. https://www.indeed.com/cmp/Valley-Vista/reviews

Published on January 2017

the rehab from heck. crud food. un educated therapists. 1/2 nurses are the meanest people there. RA's there are great though, but they are little followers and will never stick up for you. they are afraid OF THE MAN WEARING 2,000 DOLLAR ALLIGATOR LOAFERS. ceiling in cafeteria is falling in. where do I start. the only reason to go there is if you wanna smoke cigarettes at your rehab. it is literally the same thing every day. short staffed. psychiatrist got there degree out of a cereal box. Just run away from this place and never look back. If you wanna go to a rehab full of jail birds that act like they are at jail. then this is the place for you. If you wanna actually get clean don't go here. Toxic environment.

I recently spent 33 days at Valley Vista, and couldn't be happier with the facility and the staff that helped me through a really hard time in my life. Just to set the stage, I come from an upper middle class home, and thought that rehab should take place in a country club setting with the views like you see on the TV commercials. This facility was clean, well maintain and staffed, but didn't enable me to cruise through my time there. As far as I am concerned, massages, and beach views are for vacations, not for working through a powerful addiction. That said, this was my first experience at an inpatient rehab, and I was very opposed to going, thinking that I could kick my addiction on my own. After a week or so, I woke up and realized that I could have my life back. I dug deep into my evils, and let myself be very vulnerable with a group of guys that I didn't know. As I look back, I am amazed by how all the men in this program let their guard down. Many of these guys came from jail, prison, and broken homes, but that didn't discourage them from sharing their true feelings. All of those involved in my stay felt comfortable talking about The therapist I worked with was an absolute angel, and she didn't let me BS my way through the program. If it wasn't for Valley Vista, I would have lost everything.

The staff were good. There was no physical activity I believe the staff has changed since the time I am speaking of so no opinion

Communication with family was thorough. Limited to treatment Was happy with the staff clear communication and kept me updated to status of treatment

Great staff but not a lot of activities. My daughter was heavy into pills and is a success story from what she received there -- she relapsed once but that is not unusual.

long stays. no religion. I was there 129 days and was taught how to live free of drugs after 30 years of using.

For the most part the ra's were very caring and cpassionate. Everday at least one class was cancelled at the last minute,get active time nothing but naps occurred. A few girls were always the onss getting in trouble. whether it was true or not. Would not recommend us girls are who and what got us thru the progfam

Strengths: Location. Weaknesses: Staff understanding.

I liked that they have this exercise you have to do with the first step to past. I not only realized a lot about my self but why I did the things I had done. However, I did not like the co-ed.

They had seperate mens and womens treatment programs there. Then thery had sepreate programs for teenagers. they are all individual treatment that fit the individual needs. However, the location was not the best.

It was okay

Didn't have much outside time to exercise because they were always understaffed. Doors were locked at times so we couldn't even go out and enjoy the one patch of grass we had. Impossible to see a doctor. The drama was awful. I truly believe that there should be 2 programs. One for people who are serious about their recovery and 1 for those mandated to be there.

Photo of Aware Recovery Care Home Based Addiction Treatment
Aware Recovery Care Home Based Addiction Treatment
  • Recovery Where You Live
  • Developed by Yale Addiction Psychiatrists
  • In-Home Treatment
Sunspire Health Spring Hill
  • Individualized Treatment Plans
  • Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP)