24962 Okay Road
Tecumseh OK 74873

VizOwn Philosophy

With VizOwn, one of the most successful alcohol and substance abuse treatment centers for men and women in Oklahoma, change is possible. We offer an individualized and evidence-based program that focuses on the twelve-step program, as well as addiction, co-occurring issues, and possible trauma.

VizOwn provides a fully integrated program for men and women suffering from drug or alcohol abuse. We use numerous therapy techniques, tools, and strategies to help promote a holistic and successful recovery.

Our individualized approach helps identify the root cause of your addiction. At your time of admission, we assess your addiction, as well as the trauma and psychiatric issues that come with it. Because our program is evidence-based, it's easy to follow.

• Dual Diagnosis/ Co-Occurring Disorders Treatment

• Holistic Therapy
    Facilities that offer “holistic therapy” see and treat patients in the context of their entire lives and health status. They treat the “whole person,” not just the addiction.

CARF Accredited

Residential, Partial Hospitalization & Outpatient

ODMHSAS

Certified by the state for all levels of care.

Evidence based, integrated, individual treatment program based on Mental Health, Addiction, and possible Trauma.

Karen Walker, LPC, LMFT, LADC

Executive Director

Karen Walker is a Licensed Professional Counselor, a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, and a Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselor. She is the Executive Director of VizOwn, a residential and outpatient treatment center for women with substance use and co-occurring mental health disorders, and is a behavioral health surveyor for the Council of Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities. With over thirty years in the behavioral health field, Ms. Walker has experience working with children, adolescents and adults in both for profit and nonprofit organizations. Ms. Walker is an approved supervisor for LPC, LMFT, and LADC and has published several articles on the field of addiction. Ms. Walker has been an advocate for the treatment of substance abuse at the state and national level and served as the President of the Oklahoma Substance Abuse Services Alliance, an advocacy organization, for two terms. Ms. Walker’s work has focused on the integrated treatment of co-occurring disorders and health and wellness; her passion is working to break the cycle of addiction in families. Ms. Walker received her master’s degree in psychology at East Central University and completed post masters work at the University of Oklahoma.

Julio I. Rojas, PhD

Pyschology, Dept of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciencies, OU College of Medicine

ulio I. Rojas is a licensed health service psychologist and licensed alcohol and drug counselor in Oklahoma. He is a program consultant, provides psychological testing services and participates in treatment team meetings at Vizown. Dr. Rojas’ research and writings focus on the integrated treatment of addictive disorders, psychiatric comorbidity and trauma. Vizown utilizes his Venn diagram heuristic to guide the intentional application of education, evidenced based treatment interventions and therapeutic experiences for Vizown clients. Dr. Rojas is an assistant professor in the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, OU College of Medicine, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center where he is the director of ExecuCare an outpatient based program designed to evaluate and treat impaired health care professionals and executives. Through a behavioral health workforce development grant awarded by the Oklahoma Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services, Dr. Rojas has provided training on integrated treatment for addictions, psychiatric comorbidity and trauma across our state to the state funded and supported women’s treatment programs. Dr. Rojas earned his doctoral degree at the University of Georgia and completed his internship training at Malcolm Randall VA Medical Center in Gainesville, FL. He completed his postdoctoral training in Clinical Psychology with an emphasis in Chemical Dependency at the OUHSC.

ABOUT VIZOWN

Located in the Oklahoma countryside east of Norman, VizOwn is a substance abuse and co-occurring mental health disorder residential treatment center. In operation as a women’s rehab since 2014, VizOwn began offering treatment for men in 2017, according to the HIPAASpace provider database.

Clients undergo a Venn diagram assessment which identifies how dually diagnosed mental illness and substance use disorders interact with each other. They then work with staff to develop an integrated treatment plan.

Treatment consists of education and a combination of trauma-informed evidence-based and experiential therapeutic practices. Acceptance and commitment therapy, which utilizes mindfulness and cognitive behavioral therapy, is among the most commonly applied treatment modalities. Dialectical behavior therapy and motivational interviewing are also practiced.

In addition, many clients participate in equine therapy onsite, which assists in the development and expression of emotions. Other holistic offerings include art therapy and a ropes course. While VizOwn treatment incorporates some 12-step principles, they are not central to the program.

A typical residential stay is 60 to 90 days, followed by aftercare that helps clients to make healthy community connections which may include referrals for spiritual, sober housing, employment, and family resources.

VizOwn also offers partial hospitalization and intensive outpatient programs, meeting at least four days a week, according to the facility’s official Facebook page. Less frequent outpatient treatment may also be available.

The treatment staff includes a consulting psychologist and nurse, both of whom also teach at a local medical college. VizOwn’s director is a leader in national and regional substance abuse rehab organizations and a master’s level, licensed therapist.

Photographs of the Tecumseh facility on its website and Facebook feature wide open outdoor spaces, a swimming pool, exercise rooms, plush community gathering areas, country-style community dining, and simple bedrooms.

Clients are encouraged to participate in an array of physical fitness and social activities such as yoga, volleyball, community walks, gardening, board games, and outings to nearby Lake Thunderbird and museums. Healthy meal preparation classes are offered onsite by a professional chef.

There are a Facebook alumni group and in-person alumni gatherings.

Rehabs.com had received one positive review from a former client at the time of this writing. The alum described the facility as “beautiful,” the treatment as effective, and the staff as empathetic because they also were in recovery. “The [...] Therapeutic Assistances are the reason I am still sober and the reason I stayed and completed the program,” the reviewer, wrote.

It is not clear whether at least one other review published on Rehabs.com was written by a former resident or employee. Four very critical reviews, two of which were also posted on Google, complained of overly strict policies, high staff turnover rates, the director’s manner, and billing issues.[1] In response, a facility representative acknowledged that “we do make mistakes and make every effort to resolve them.” They also noted that some clients may enter rehab “not ready to accept treatment.”

The spouse of an alum reported in a Rehabs.com review that the facility and program were not as they had been represented to him and his wife.

Rehabs.com received survey responses from four staff members, all of whom agreed that the staff were experienced, knowledgeable, committed to their clients’ well-being, and caring. Two described the program as small and family-like, while two also identified the facility’s distance from the closest town as a weakness. One noted that clients were not given much free time and that policies regarding outside communication were strict.

By contrast, three Glassdoor reviews represent training for therapists as lacking, the program’s marketing as inaccurate, and the director as motivated by finances. One did also praise the assessment staff and the three reviews were split on the quality of the overall organization.[2]

Private insurance and self-pay are accepted for services.

Updated March 2017

1. https://goo.gl/17Wo2L

2. https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Vizown-Reviews-E1037999.htm

Published on April 2017

My son recently did 30 days at Vizown. It was his 2nd time in a rehab center for alcoholism and his experience was much better at Vizown. He connected with his treatment counselor and worked hard on his problems while he was there. Vizown was a much better environment. We as parents had great contact with the staff including joint discussions with him and his counselor. I highly recommend Vizown to whomever needs help...

If you are ready to take your life back and free yourself of addiction and alcoholism . Then you are ready for Vizown. I lost my self for 35 years, thanks to this program and my hard work I am free today , just for today. The staff are outstanding always there for me from the top down always concerned and involved in my treatment plan. This program gave me my life back and I plan to keep what I learned for the rest of my life. If you are ready my friend I wish you Gods speed in your recovery. You couldn't find a better place to start. God bless you.

Client centered, positive environment, supportive, and committed staff. More involvement for 12 step sponsorship. VizOwn's assessment from a holistic approach including the metabolic testing, meeting clients where their feet are, and staff presents with a unified front.

Staff are welcoming and invested in the care and recovery of each and every client. Programming is integrated for both substance abuse and co-occurring issues. Staff are experienced and work well together. Distance from the closest town was a downfall. I would recommend this treatment program and staff to anyone who really wants help with their addiction and is interested in recovery.

Strengths include that it was very family oriented great atmosphere Knowledge staff Small Census More one on one treatment A weakness was the distance I love the setting of this facility. It is peaceful, the accommodations are wonderful, the chef is amazing. The Executive Director, Clinical Director and all the staff really cares for the patients.

Doctors and clinical Staff are well experienced in addiction and co-occurring disorders. Some of the top in Oklahoma. Very well respected program. They are affordable and very structured with a wide range of therapies that are used. There isn't tons of free time. They are very strict on visitation & phone times. VizOwn has changed so many lives and their families. They always do what is right and what is ethically right for every client. They go above and beyond when it comes to best practices and trying to keep the clients focused on their treatment and what they need to do to have a successful recovery. It is a small family-like environment, where you aren't just a number.

I was told about this site and was eager to share my experience for those who are looking for help with their addiction. When I arrived at Vizown, I was broken, ashamed and felt like a total outcast to my family, friends and co-workers. The clinical staff helped me understand the value of my recovery and the tools necessary to maintain a healthy life. Their help didn't stop after residential treatment. They provided intensive outpatient therapy and even helped me transition to a sober living that has helped me beyond my expectations. I saw that there are negative reviews. My personal experience during my time is that the people who weren't satisfied left early against the advice of the clinical staff. They were extremely difficult to get along with or I noticed that they had enablers by family such as mothers, fathers or spouses. Thank you.

I couldn't be more appreciative of the staff at VIzown. I was treated with respect and dignity. This made it so much easier for addressing my issues related to my addiction. I learned so much about myself. I've been in recovery for over a year now and I couldn't have done it without Vizown.

Vizown has absolutely changed my life!! I completed the 90 day program and it was the best decision I have ever made. The counselors are truly there to help and encourage you through the toughest time. Recovery is a very hard road and it's not for everyone but for someone who is ready to get clean Vizown is the best place to do it. The facility is beautiful and the classes are so helpful. The dual diagnosis part of the program will help anyone with any type of trauma you have been through. The staff (Theraputic Assistants) are the reason I am still sober and the reason I stayed and completed the program. Many of them are walking their own road of recovery and ACTUALLY understand what you are going through. I recommend this rehab center with every fiber of my being! If you or your loved one are seeking treatment please contact them! I know that there are many negative reviews about this facility but please know that the people writing them probably did not finish the program and do not understand the value of 90 days in treatment. They have truly changed me and helped me turn into the woman I always knew I could be.

We are so proud of you Lea! Thank you so much for your kind words. We truly want you to know that we are here for you and if you need anything, please let us know. Wishing you many more wonderful blessings in your beautiful new life.

The treatment center is understaffed, overworked and staff members are let go or quit every month. The therapists are kind and care about the clients but the director is only concerned about financial gain. She is highly disrespectful to clients and staff. The therapists are given too high of caseloads and overworked to the point of exhaustion. The clients are treated horribly and punished if they question anything. The pond are damp causing clothing and bedding to be soaked and full of mildew. They are also full of roaches and spiders. Clients families are harassed for payments by the admin assistant and told their loved one needing treatment will be discharged if payment is not made immediately...Clients are discharged with less than thirty minutes notice and not provided with discharge plans or referrals for continued treatment. The director does not care about the clients since she is able to immediately fill their spot with a new client seeking treatment.

We find it our responsibility to provide the absolute best clinical and caring experience for all our clients. Unfortunately, we do make mistakes and make every effort to resolve them. However, we always ask the readers of negative reviews to consider the motivation behind them. Many times these type of reviews can be written anonymously, under a false identity by former, disgruntled staff or by clients who were not ready to accept treatment. These clients often find it difficult to adjust to a routine and rules which are for their benefit. We encourage you to visit with our staff prior to making a decision. Even if you don't choose Vizown, we recommend that you to visit with as many treatment centers as possible to vet out the best option for your and your family.

Waste of money. The director doesn't care about patient's recovery - she just wants your money. Some of the patients were required to attend therapy outside when the heat index was 108. Most of the counselors are nice and caring, but they only work part time. The facility is overpacked and understaffed. They had 5 employees leave in days of each other. The director treats all of the patients like scum of the earth by talking down to them. If you decide to leave before 90/days they will say you left against medical recommendation, regardless if you're mentallt and physically ready or not. There are better treatment centers out there that actually care.

Do NOT pay before they bill your insurance company. They will pressure you into paying upfront but you can wait until they bill your insurance company and then pay your coinsurance.

Not impressed. Needs a lot of improvement starting with the Directors.

My wife attended this place and it is nothing like they said. There are some good people there or there were, but I would not waste my time sending anyone there if you are serious about recovery.

Sunspire Health Hilton Head
  • Detox
  • Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP)
Greenhouse
  • Seeking Safety (and other trauma-focused therapies)
  • Eye Movement Desensitization & Reprocessing (EMDR)
  • Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy (REBT)